Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The only thing that comes to mind would be to allow people to see common landmarks from both sides of the road, which should help them navigate on their own better. Of course a freeway is also likely to have signs all over the drat place telling you where to go (and I've found American interstates to be exceedingly good at this), so I doubt that's the case.

I'd probably prefer to drive on a road where I can only see one direction, if only because the only time it ever happens is on cool mountain roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Cichlidae posted:

Welp, I'm all settled in my new job. The benefits are lousy, but the pay's good, so I guess I'll make do.

I guess I can share with you one of the things I've never been able to figure out: in the Green Book, they say that, on a freeway, you should be able to see the other travel direction from time to time. Like, if you're going northbound, there have to be regular breaks in the trees or narrowing of the median so you can catch a glimpse of southbound cars. I don't know why that's the case. I think they say it's reassuring, but honestly, I don't see anything wrong with the alternative. Ideas?

I'd find it unsettling to not see reverse direction traffic at least once every half mile or so, especially on an unfamiliar road. Reassurance that yes, there is a way back is comforting, both for returning from a destination or needing to backtrack because of a mistake.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
That doesn't bother me as much as north and south crossing over each other so that the oncoming traffic is on the right: https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d43961!2d-118.6516226!3d34.5339188

(grade separated by mountains though)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
For emergency services? Yeah you've got those occasional cross-overs, but so that they can see where they need to turn, especially if they weren't given any landmarks to work from?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Qwijib0 posted:

I'd find it unsettling to not see reverse direction traffic at least once every half mile or so, especially on an unfamiliar road. Reassurance that yes, there is a way back is comforting, both for returning from a destination or needing to backtrack because of a mistake.

I think you're close to the answer. If I drive up a route, it would be nice to be able to recognize that I'm on the same road while I'm coming back the other direction. Particularly in a time before GPS / smartphones were ubiquitous.

As a second guess, maybe to allow for future maintenance of traffic median crossovers if something happens like a bridge has to be closed unexpectedly.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Qwijib0 posted:

That's my take. It's psychologically comforting to see others, to know that there is potential for help if you're in trouble.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cichlidae posted:

Welp, I'm all settled in my new job. The benefits are lousy, but the pay's good, so I guess I'll make do.

I guess I can share with you one of the things I've never been able to figure out: in the Green Book, they say that, on a freeway, you should be able to see the other travel direction from time to time. Like, if you're going northbound, there have to be regular breaks in the trees or narrowing of the median so you can catch a glimpse of southbound cars. I don't know why that's the case. I think they say it's reassuring, but honestly, I don't see anything wrong with the alternative. Ideas?

I wonder if it makes the freeway seem wider, keeping people from slowing down?

Also, if you do this, it means that you can probably see traffic in your direction around a bend. Minneapolis has installed high dividers on the crosstown within the last few years. There are major slowdowns where it turns and you no longer can see around the corner.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I would assume it's so that drivers know that there's a roadway in the other direction if they need to turn around, so they don't try dumb poo poo like driving on the median.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Remember that on a mostly empty road, it's much more likely to see someone come the other direction than to see someone going your direction pass by. Even if people going your way go faster, it takes them a lot longer to catch up.

If you can't see the other side, the road will suddenly seem way, way quieter.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Why can't France nut up and de-restrict its beautiful motorways outside of the populated areas? I'd rather have gone flat out on the E50 than on the A8, although I have to credit the Germans for making a road that is banked such that a car can follow a curve at over 180MPH.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Why can't France nut up and de-restrict its beautiful motorways outside of the populated areas? I'd rather have gone flat out on the E50 than on the A8, although I have to credit the Germans for making a road that is banked such that a car can follow a curve at over 180MPH.

If you look at it from a results-oriented perspective, French péage concessions have been maintained way better than your average West German Autobahn during the last two decades.

I drove past another 20 kms of Baustelle on the A31 SB between Schüttorf and Bottrop last week: 80kph, sometimes 60 even, and no way to easily find out about it beforehand (I tried looking up my route online, but no dice).

Infrastructural policy in Germany is supremely retarded atm, I wish them luck with having to replace 30% of their bridges over the next couple of years.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cichlidae posted:

It also shows you are on the same road as you started. With the way highways sometimes 'continue' only if you follow an off ramp or other divergence, it provides a help full mirror to compare to your own driving experience. People may or may not read signs, but they are always judging their own position by their surroundings.

Koesj posted:

Infrastructural policy in Germany is supremely retarded atm, I wish them luck with having to replace 30% of their bridges over the next couple of years.

Don't you know it's cheaper if you buy in bulk. This is a brilliant plan that cannot fail.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

EoRaptor posted:

Don't you know it's cheaper if you buy in bulk. This is a brilliant plan that cannot fail.

Costco sells bridges so I can't see how this would fail. http://www.costco.com//.product.115...content=Default

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Mandalay posted:

That doesn't bother me as much as north and south crossing over each other so that the oncoming traffic is on the right: https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d43961!2d-118.6516226!3d34.5339188

(grade separated by mountains though)

Why does it do this? It seems pointless to build the bridges over each other when each side of the road could just stay on that side of the divide?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Opals25 posted:

Why does it do this? It seems pointless to build the bridges over each other when each side of the road could just stay on that side of the divide?

Usually has to do with alignment issues when upgrading the capacity of a road. Arizona has a similar situation with the Beeline-- they needed more lanes and there was no room, and the only solution was to cross the lanes over in the mountains. It's awesome to drive too-- speed limit is 75 but I don't think it had to conform to interstate grades (granfathered?, state highway?) so there are awesome hills and turns one can take at speed.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview...!4d-111.3221751

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
My best guess is that the downward grade has to be at or below x% for truck traffic, and the topography was easier this way.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mandalay posted:

Costco sells bridges so I can't see how this would fail. http://www.costco.com//.product.115...content=Default

2'-11" width does not meet AASHTO recommendations for minimum width. :colbert:

It apparently does meet the AASHTO requirement for uniform pedestrian loading of 85 lbs/ft2, which I was surprised at. Although I doubt the typical installation method of "mow grass, place bridge" will let it support that 1800 pounds.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Devor posted:

2'-11" width does not meet AASHTO recommendations for minimum width. :colbert:

It's Costco. Buy the bridges in bulk. Install side by side.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Cichlidae posted:

Can you say what your new job is, without risking too much of your pseudonymity?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Qwijib0 posted:

Usually has to do with alignment issues when upgrading the capacity of a road. Arizona has a similar situation with the Beeline-- they needed more lanes and there was no room, and the only solution was to cross the lanes over in the mountains. It's awesome to drive too-- speed limit is 75 but I don't think it had to conform to interstate grades (granfathered?, state highway?) so there are awesome hills and turns one can take at speed.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview...!4d-111.3221751

Wow! I saw that from a plane when I was flying into Sky Harbor a couple years back, but I couldn't find it on a map, so I figured I'd just imagined it.

minidracula posted:

Can you say what your new job is, without risking too much of your pseudonymity?

I'm doing all the traffic simulation and design for a big big big (bigger than the Busway and likely bigger than the Q-Bridge) project.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Hopefully you have more modern software this time around.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I drive from the NE, turning south, at this intersection pretty regularly, and I always seem to manage to forget how to do it correctly. You're supposed to yield (I think; I've never noticed a yield sign) at the red X, and continue over across heavy, high-speed traffic coming from the SW.

Making a left takes an eternity, and it's always backed up. How would you guys improve it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Groda fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 13, 2013

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Groda posted:

I drive from the NE, turning south, at this intersection pretty regularly, and I always seem to manage to forget how to do it correctly. You're supposed to yield (I think; I've never noticed a yield sign) at the red X, and continue over across heavy, high-speed traffic coming from the SW.

Making a left takes an eternity, and it's always backed up. How would you guys improve it?

If traffic is heavy enough to warrant it, you could signalize the intersection like the other entrance to that subdivision.

Alternately, you could separate the current entrance into two one-way roads (preferably a second roadway in a different location and not reversing traffic on the current road) that places traffic on "the wrong side of the road" to eliminate the left turn conflict between traffic entering and exiting. Use appropriate traffic controls to prevent accidental turns into the wrong entrance. Unless stopping through traffic causes major congestion problems, signalization is probably the better (and less expensive) option. Something like this, but not quite as expansive. Eastbound only gets a red if someone triggers a pedestrian phase.

Varance fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 14, 2013

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Groda posted:

Jughandle, baby! It's too bad there's not a lot of ROW. Straight-up signalization is also a great option, as Varance said, but I wanted to throw something new out there. If the oncoming volume is that high, you'll need either signalization or grade separation to get people across safely there. You could eliminate access, of course, but that's a lot trickier to do without political repercussions.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't think there's enough room for a jughandle, since there's a tunnel a bit further down the road.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Jeoh posted:

I don't think there's enough room for a jughandle, since there's a tunnel a bit further down the road.

Maybe I should have clarified: ROW is right-of-way.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cichlidae posted:

Maybe I should have clarified: ROW is right-of-way.

I'm working on a small sidewalk job where we took out the buffer between the curb and the sidewalk in some locations because it was in front of people's houses, and didn't want to impact their yards too much. Except it's not! There's like 20' of additional room within the ROW there, it's just that people treat it like their yard, and put in landscaping/walls.

:argh:

It's like some weird adverse possession where if you put up a fence, local governments will be afraid to challenge you on it.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
This is a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzHwff8Leow

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Someone has watched far too many MLG videos. :staredog:

Alternatively: ENDUT! HOCH HECH!

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Groda posted:

Put in an overpass for the EB traffic and signalize the left turns underneath. That was done here (it's still under construction on the map) and it works pretty well.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

I fully support spending ten grand on each and every bridge project to produce a video like this. Holy poo poo.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I completely lost it when the truck jumped over the barriers. That video is :frogsiren::krad:::frogsiren:

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk

Jeoh posted:

I completely lost it when the truck jumped over the barriers. That video is :frogsiren::krad:::frogsiren:

The whole video was hella surreal. But that truck topped the cake.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

There will be a "random" drug test on Monday for exactly one employee.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Now I need to start a petition to get the UK government to do a similar video for the High Speed Rail 2 project! Even people not directly affected by the project would accept it then! :catstare:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jeoh posted:

This is the best thing I have ever seen.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
So, I have been traveling through a lot of bridge tunnels recently, and I have noticed the tunnel portions have 2 sets of lights. Is this a normal thing for tunnels, or just a wierd VDOT thing that they do with bridge tunnels.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Now I need to start a petition to get the UK government to do a similar video for the High Speed Rail 2 project! Even people not directly affected by the project would accept it then! :catstare:

You want the second half of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnAMDg7IVWs&t=26s

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ryand-Smith posted:

So, I have been traveling through a lot of bridge tunnels recently, and I have noticed the tunnel portions have 2 sets of lights. Is this a normal thing for tunnels, or just a wierd VDOT thing that they do with bridge tunnels.

What do you mean by a bridge tunnel? Do you mean a tunnel on land, as compared to a normal tunnel under a body of water? Like this cut-and-cover tunnel on MD 200: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=icc&....31&hq=icc&z=17

Tunnels in general need lights to see, somewhat obviously. The tunnel lights need to be pretty bright sometimes, because if you drive into a tunnel during a sunny day, your eyes can't adjust to dim "normal night-time" lighting. So for tunnels, you might need more lights to provide adequate light levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay_Bridge%E2%80%93Tunnel

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monitor%E2%80%93Merrimac_Memorial_Bridge%E2%80%93Tunnel

(Virgina has a lot of bridge tunnels)