Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Watch some silent stuff.
Safety Last!
City Lights
It's not silent but The Great Dictator is amazing.

Search the list for United States and sort by year.
http://www.criterion.com/hulu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Wezlar posted:

I really love Kurosawa, and Samurai movies in general, which is how I discovered the criterion collection in the first place. But I'm trying to watch more classic american movies. I'm really interested in everything which is half the problem I guess. I should probably just start clicking on poo poo.

You can use this page to see the list in a better format than what Hulu gives: http://www.criterion.com/hulu

A good place to start for "Classic American" would be the Devil and Daniel Webster, maybe? There's of course a slew of Chaplin and Lloyd there, but unfortunately a lot of Criterion's
catalog that would fall under that umbrella isn't up. (Or at least what I think of as classic American.)

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion just announced their Paul Robeson box set is going OOP by the end of this month.

Probably due to rights since it has films from StudioCanal, Kino, Image, iTV, and Janus.

Probably the Image title since they're changing distributors.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Wezlar posted:

I really love Kurosawa, and Samurai movies in general, which is how I discovered the criterion collection in the first place. But I'm trying to watch more classic american movies. I'm really interested in everything which is half the problem I guess. I should probably just start clicking on poo poo.

Honestly, just look through their catalog and see what movies interest you. I think a good 75% of my Criterion purchases are complete blind buys/recommendations from people in this thread, and the hit rate is much higher than the miss rate. I'd blindly recommend The Sweet Smell of Success, which is one of those movies I would have never known about if it weren't for Criterion and has since become one of my favorites.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Wezlar posted:

When I first got interested in Criterion films I really enjoyed older French films like Le Cercle Rouge (awesome crime drama), Breathless (classic french new wave), or The Wages of Fear (fantastic thriller). You might check one out to see what you think. Although not American, they actually feel very much like modern American films because they heavily influenced a generation of American directors.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 10, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Watch some silent stuff.
Safety Last!
City Lights
It's not silent but The Great Dictator is amazing.

Search the list for United States and sort by year.
http://www.criterion.com/hulu

Definitely agree with this too--after I watched some classic Chaplin films I couldn't believe I never saw them before. Absolutely fantastic, timeless films.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Thanks for all of the recommendations! I'm definitely interested in watching some french film as well(I used to be bilingual as a kid but I've kind of lost it over the years :canada:). Looks like I'll have a lot of stuff to watch over the weekend!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
For American movies, check out The Naked City, which is kind of the first buddy cop film. After that watch Rififi, which is by the same director after he moved to France after being blacklisted. It's an excellent heist film.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

So Barnes & Noble has a Criterion Buy 1 Get 1 free sale for 2 weeks - immediately after it's month-long 50% off sale - going on until December 16th. I'm going through all the $29.99 DVD's and I've narrowed down to 10 films and can only afford to get 2. Which 2 would you select?

I Fidanzati
The Cranes are Flying
Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne
Viridiana
Youth of the Beast
Fist In His Pocket
Les Amants
When A Women Ascends the Stairs
Thieves Highway
Pepe Le Moko

Also, and I'm sure I've asked this in the past, does anyone have any personal favourites you don't hear enough about?

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 13, 2013

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I Fidanzati is one of those personal favorites of mine that doesn't get mentioned enough. Oh my god I want them to upgrade it to blu ray but it'll probably take years and years for them to get around to it. Oh well.

I would also get The Cranes Are Flying or Viridiana personally. Depends on your taste tho.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

kaujot posted:

I Fidanzati is one of those personal favorites of mine that doesn't get mentioned enough. Oh my god I want them to upgrade it to blu ray but it'll probably take years and years for them to get around to it. Oh well.

I would also get The Cranes Are Flying or Viridiana personally. Depends on your taste tho.

I Fidanzati & Viridiana - sold! I've been on the fence for both for a while now.
I also picked up Les Dames Du Bois De Boulogne & Pepe Le Moko... couldn't help myself.
Thank you.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
CriterionCast thinks The Great Beauty will be announced as a Smarch title on Monday because Criterion are putting it on iTunes on Feb 25th.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

friendo55 posted:

I Fidanzati & Viridiana - sold! I've been on the fence for both for a while now.

Those would have been my picks too!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Thirding how wonderful I Fidanzati is.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

friendo55 posted:

Also, and I'm sure I've asked this in the past, does anyone have any personal favourites you don't hear enough about?

The Vanishing, I loving love The Vanishing.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
It's a great movie but it's one I never want to see again.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I discovered my favorite film, F for Fake, thanks to Criterion. It's not that well known, nor considered Welles' best, but it's the film of his I keep going back to and enjoying the most every time.

Also, People On Sunday, Lonesome, and The Small Back Room are all amazing films that you rarely hear about outside of movie buff discussion.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Cacator posted:

The Vanishing, I loving love The Vanishing.

Thanks for the rec! I see it's on Hulu, so I'll have to catch it soon!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

friendo55 posted:

Cria Cuervos all the way. One of my favorite movies ever.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Secret Honor. That and Cassvette's Faces, but there are much more obscure films in the collection.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

friendo55 posted:

So Barnes & Noble has a Criterion Buy 1 Get 1 free sale for 2 weeks - immediately after it's month-long 50% off sale - going on until December 16th. I'm going through all the $29.99 DVD's and I've narrowed down to 10 films and can only afford to get 2. Which 2 would you select?

I Fidanzati
The Cranes are Flying
Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne
Viridiana
Youth of the Beast
Fist In His Pocket
Les Amants
When A Women Ascends the Stairs
Thieves Highway
Pepe Le Moko

If we're talking about the $30 DVD's, I loved Man Bites Dog. Can't comment on the Criterion release specifically. It's one I keep meaning to buy but my B&N never has it in stock. Seems like most of the DVD-only releases I want cost $40. :(

edit: Forgot about Fishing With John, which isn't a movie, but a mockumentary about fishing. The narrator is even the voice-over guy from 60 Minutes, and it's easily one of my favorite Criterion releases. I could watch Fishing With John hundreds of times so forget what I said a few minutes ago. Pickup on South Street is another one you can't go wrong with.

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 14, 2013

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It hit me really hard how many years it's been since I watched F For Fake - a great & unique experience, especially for Welles fans. I'll keep Fishing With John, People on Sunday & The Small Back Room in mind, and echo Kaujot that The Vanishing was a great film but I don't think I need to see it again. I also strongly recommend Pickup on South Street.
I found an Ontario seller on amazon.ca that had Cria Cuervos & Ratcatcher on sale so I grabbed those too - codyclarke sold me on Cria Cuervos. It's worth it to get them quick from a Canadian seller for $4-$5 extra vs waiting a month from B&N!

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 15, 2013

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

friendo55 posted:

I found an Ontario seller on amazon.ca that had Cria Cuervos & Ratcatcher on sale so I grabbed those too - codyclarke sold me. It's worth it to get them quick from a Canadian seller for $4-$5 extra vs waiting a month from B&N!

Link?

edit: Watching Marketa Lazarova, it can be difficult to follow at times but it's absolutely gorgeous.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 15, 2013

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I should clarify that they weren't necessarily "on sale" but the seller had them available Brand New for $16-20 apiece.

It's amazon seller niff78 & he only had one in stock for each of those, but here's the amazon seller list for Cria Cuervos. I can strongly recommend "sherchey" as well - I've bought from that seller 4-5 times now and very quick delivery. Here's seller niff78 if you're interested.

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 15, 2013

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

friendo55 posted:

I found an Ontario seller on amazon.ca that had Cria Cuervos & Ratcatcher on sale so I grabbed those too - codyclarke sold me on Cria Cuervos. It's worth it to get them quick from a Canadian seller for $4-$5 extra vs waiting a month from B&N!

Nice! Enjoy. Be sure to report back with your thoughts.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

friendo55 posted:

The Big City
An Angel at My Table
El Norte
Blast of Silence
Dillinger Is Dead
Le Bonheur
The Browning Version

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

To expand on this: most of the box-set-only titles tend to get short shrift just because the sets are huge buy-in. In particular, when the titles span a wider thematic range (e.g. 4 by Agnes Varda; Paul Robeson: Portraits of the Artist), it's sort of a shame when they're not available individually (as are the 3 Films by Louis Malle and four of the five Cassavetes).

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

The Big City
An Angel at My Table
El Norte
Blast of Silence
Dillinger Is Dead
Le Bonheur
The Browning Version

I loved The Music Room and blind-bought The Big City last month at B&N. On the contrary, I just sold my copy of The Browning Version as it just wasn't for me. An Angel At My Table, El Norte & Blast of Silence have been movies I've had my eye on for a while, and I haven't heard of Le Bonheur & Dillinger is Dead. As STEVIE said, it'll be tough to get me to blind-buy a 4-film set of Agnes Varda unless I'm really hearing lots of great things (as I did for the Rohmer boxset here in this thread). I do have Varda's documentary The Beaches of Agnes which I need to see - not sure if that'll sell me on her other films or not?

@codyclarke - I do have a profile over on Letterboxd if you care at all, and will most likely have a review of Cria Cuervos when it arrives in the mail. I did love Ana Torrent's performance in The Spirit of the Beehive so I'm looking forward to it. Do you have a Letterboxd account?

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 16, 2013

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

March 2014:

The Great Beauty
Persona
The Freshman
George Washington
A Brief History of Time
The Hidden Fortress

No details or covers yet, but I'll be buying Persona, GW, and Fortress; skipping Freshman; renting the other two

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

George Washington

Same features as the DVD.

FitFortDanga posted:

The Hidden Fortress

• New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack preserving the original Perspecta simulated stereo effects, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
  • New audio commentary by film historian Stephen Prince, author of The Warrior’s Camera: The Cinema of Akira Kurosawa
  • Documentary from 2003 on the making of the film, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
  • Interview from 2001 with filmmaker George Lucas about Kurosawa
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
  • One Blu-ray and one DVD, with all content available in both formats
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Catherine Russell

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Of course in the time it took me to grab the two upgrades, the rest of them went live.

#699 - A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME (Mar 18)

• New, restored 4K digital film transfer, supervised by director of photography John Bailey and approved by director Errol Morris, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with Morris
  • New interview with Bailey
  • One Blu-ray and one DVD, with all content available in both formats
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic David Sterritt, a chapter from Stephen Hawking’s 2013 memoir My Brief History, and a short excerpt from Hawking’s 1988 book A Brief History of Time

#701 - PERSONA (Mar 25)

• New, 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New visual essay on the film’s prologue by Ingmar Bergman scholar Peter Cowie
  • New interviews with actor Liv Ullmann and filmmaker Paul Schrader
  • Excerpted archival interviews with Bergman and actors Bibi Andersson and Ullmann
  • On-set footage, with audio commentary by Bergman historian Birgitta Steene
  • Liv & Ingmar, a 2012 feature documentary directed by Dheeraj Akolkar
  • Trailer
  • One Blu-ray and two DVDs, with all content available in both formats
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Thomas Elsaesser, an excerpted 1969 interview with Bergman, and an excerpted 1977 conversation with Andersson

#702 - THE GREAT BEAUTY (Mar 25)

• New 2K digital transfer, approved by director Paolo Sorrentino, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Conversation between Sorrentino and Italian cultural critic Antonio Monda
  • New interview with actor Toni Servillo
  • New interview with screenwriter Umberto Contarello
  • Deleted scenes
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Philip Lopate

#703 - THE FRESHMAN (Mar 25)

• New 4K digital transfer from a restoration by the UCLA Film and Television Archive
  • New orchestral score, composed and conducted by Carl Davis, presented in uncompressed stereo on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary featuring director and Harold Lloyd archivist Richard Correll, film historian Richard Bann, and film critic and historian Leonard Maltin
  • Lloyd’s prologue to the film, created for the 1966 rerelease
  • Three newly restored Lloyd shorts: The Marathon (1919), with a new score by Gabriel Thibaudeau, and An Eastern Westerner and High and Dizzy (both 1920), with new scores composed and conducted by Davis
  • Big Man on Campus, a new visual essay on the film’s locations by silent-film historian John Bengtson
  • Conversation between Correll and film historian Kevin Brownlow
  • Footage from a 1963 Delta Kappa Alpha tribute to Lloyd, featuring comedian Steve Allen, director Delmer Daves, and actor Jack Lemmon
  • Lloyd’s 1953 appearance on the television show What’s My Line?
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Stephen Winer

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Oh, uh, George Washington is March 11 and The Hidden Fortress is March 18. And spine 700 was Fantastic Mr. Fox from February's releases.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Christ, that Freshman release is packed. Nice cover, too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
All the covers in this batch look great, even if they're simple.

Edit: Maybe not A Brief History of Time.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

I strongly dislike the covers for Persona and The Great Beauty, but The Hidden Fortress and The Freshman ones are pretty cool.

Solid month, no surprises.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

FitFortDanga posted:

March 2014:

The Great Beauty
Persona
The Freshman
George Washington
A Brief History of Time
The Hidden Fortress

No details or covers yet, but I'll be buying Persona, GW, and Fortress; skipping Freshman; renting the other two

:smith:

Another month goes by sans Zissou.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Red posted:

:smith:

Another month goes by sans Zissou.

It's definitely coming before the end of 2014.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

PDMChubby posted:

I strongly dislike the covers for Persona and The Great Beauty, but The Hidden Fortress and The Freshman ones are pretty cool.

Solid month, no surprises.

Yeah, I was really excited when I read Persona, and extremely disappointed when I saw the cover.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I like the Persona cover. And it's a whole lot better than this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

It reminds me a lot of the Repulsion cover:

Which, to be fair, is much much worse.