Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, at least I know my manager won't question me being ill. I mentioned I was feeling a bit ill (When I got up in the morning I thought it was just the usual morning grogginess) and he sent me home on the spot. He actually took three steps back. That's nice.

Downside, i'm working the weekend before christmas and the project meeting was that day, so i've missed it. I'm going to be playing catchup, which is not ideal when preparing for a trip to Wales. Especially Wales on Christmas. Going to be a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I got to spend this weekend figuring out how to get my two favorite things in the world, Pentaho BI and MongoDB, to play nice together! Yaaaay!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

I got to spend this weekend figuring out how to get my two favorite things in the world, Pentaho BI and MongoDB, to play nice together! Yaaaay!

NoSQL OLAP cubes? Amazing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

NoSQL OLAP cubes? Amazing.
There's nothing more hilarious than normalizing NoSQL document data into table format to run BI queries against it.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Keyboards with function keys hidden behind feature keys.

User emails us, working from home. The keyboard on her private laptop doesn't work the same way as the keyboard at work.
"It's a Packard Bell".
That narrows it down...

To make matters worse the fucktards at PB set the feature for "F5" (a key you must admit is used pretty often to refresh poo poo), to "sleep", making testing a bit hard since she says "oh the screen went black" whenever she hits it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who have you got to thank for such a terrible implementation of BYOD?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

underlig posted:

Keyboards with function keys hidden behind feature keys.

Lenovo does this too now - at least for the E-series. :sigh:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pissing me off already this morning: users who come into my office and absolutely reek. This person stank of cigarettes so bad her smell lingered for several minutes after she had left. She works in a customer-facing position too, ugh.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Developers putting over 200k files in an S3 bucket, with no directory structure :catstare:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

luminalflux posted:

Developers putting over 200k files in an S3 bucket, with no directory structure :catstare:

Does S3 support tagging files?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

luminalflux posted:

What type of files are they, and are they meant to be visible to anything but automated systems?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

luminalflux posted:

They're Pokemon fan art, aren't they?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

It's user-generated images for a website that we're inheriting, so we're syncing down them from S3 to our own local storage. Apparently there's a lot of images that were deleted in the database but not in S3 because :effort:. Taking forever to sync since s3cmd doesn't really like directories with that many entries.

Edit: Apparently we were off by an order of magnitude, it's 2 million files :staredog:

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 16, 2013

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Do we have a bitching/sysadmin discussion channel on synirc? #shsc seems pretty dead. I can start one up if there's interest.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Do we have a bitching/sysadmin discussion channel on synirc? #shsc seems pretty dead. I can start one up if there's interest.

#sysadmin on SynIRC

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

luminalflux posted:

It's user-generated images for a website that we're inheriting, so we're syncing down them from S3 to our own local storage. Apparently there's a lot of images that were deleted in the database but not in S3 because :effort:. Taking forever to sync since s3cmd doesn't really like directories with that many entries.

Edit: Apparently we were off by an order of magnitude, it's 2 million files :staredog:

Did you inherit waffleimages?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Things that are slightly IT related (although not sure if it belongs here), getting to work is going to be a bit harder, since the guy who gives me a lift to work (I can't legally drive yet) managed to swipe a truck this morning. With me in the car. We got lucky with how little damage it did to the car, but its still going to need some time to repair, making it harder for me to get in. I'll probably post a picture when I get back.

I wish they could just give me a work phone so I can take calls at home. That'd be nice. All I ever do is note down the details and dial into the clients PC as it is, its not like I need to be in the office for such a task.

Also pissing me off. Helpdesk colleagues who turn off their phones every time they get a call. They do it so they can sort out that one call and not get disturbed while doing so. That would be great if we had enough workers to do that, as it stands, the three or four calls that skip them get passed over to the rest of the team or admin. If admin get a call, they pass it to me, as i'm the only one they really like talking to. I just want those guys to :fuckoff: so we can get some decent guys in to fill the position. We could even function at roughly the same level without them, as they do so little.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If techs going to not available while they finish filling out call details and submit a ticket is causing issues then you either don't have enough of them or the procedure for logging that call is far too involved.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

luminalflux posted:

In a similar vein, I had to investigate a project we're hosting for a client today because "it's slow".

Turns out that's because the genius who built it set up a situation where a table gets a LOT of data written into it (80 million records so far). Did I mention this table had no indexes defined? This guy also seems to be a big fan of "select * from..."

Nope, no idea why that could possibly be running at a suboptimal speed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Clearly you just need to throw more CPU, more RAM and more SSDs at the problem. Optimise my application? That's for people who can't just blame the IT team.

Edit: What happens in that situation? Do you send a large bill for essentially having fixed their application for them other than actually making the changes, or is it just something that people expect?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Unfortunately we build the projects as well as host them, do what I now do is apply an SQL manual to the cranium of the offending individual.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Did you inherit waffleimages?

It's a site where the CTO is on his way out, all tech dealing has to go through very non-technical people due to politics and I don't have access to the EC2 instances or database yet. Apparently i'm off by even more, it's about 7.5 million files over 4 directories. s3cmd barfs when trying to sync it.

rolleyes posted:

In a similar vein, I had to investigate a project we're hosting for a client today because "it's slow".

Turns out that's because the genius who built it set up a situation where a table gets a LOT of data written into it (80 million records so far). Did I mention this table had no indexes defined? This guy also seems to be a big fan of "select * from..."

Nope, no idea why that could possibly be running at a suboptimal speed.

Some people just don't get complexity. We had one script that would do
code:
for ($region in @regions) {
  @lines = `cat $file | grep $region  | cut -f1`
}
on a 5G file over NFS over iSCSI. while(<FILE>) was apparently hard.

namol
Mar 21, 2007
So today I started a 5 day course for scom, about 2 pm est the instructor just drops out because of some ice storm or some bullshit like that in Frankfort Kentucky. To make things worse this is geared at IT professionals and this lady is walking us through how to create ad accounts and groups etc. how she got to be the instructor I have no loving clue.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

luminalflux posted:

Some people just don't get complexity. We had one script that would do
code:
for ($region in @regions) {
  @lines = `cat $file | grep $region  | cut -f1`
}
on a 5G file over NFS over iSCSI. while(<FILE>) was apparently hard.

I write horrible poo poo like that, but only when I'm banging out a quick script in thirty seconds to do some one-off task and the input in question is a list of a couple hundred entries, not gigs of data. :cripes:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Caged posted:

If techs going to not available while they finish filling out call details and submit a ticket is causing issues then you either don't have enough of them or the procedure for logging that call is far too involved.

Yeah, you need more techs. What is your call volume?

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

Caged posted:

And I would say that if over 50% of your typical day is spent busting a queue, and you're not going to Not Available to properly finish your last call, then you're doing it wrong. The constant stress of rushing is not worth cutting a minute off the next guy's hold time. Relax, slow down. Non-IT clients never remember how quickly you helped them, only how (un)pleasant your help was.

[Disregard if you have mainly IT clients; they want speed and accuracy. You could be a talking infected dickhole so long as you deliver results. It's like working in Finance!]

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Shuntly posted:

And I would say that if over 50% of your typical day is spent busting a queue, and you're not going to Not Available to properly finish your last call, then you're doing it wrong. The constant stress of rushing is not worth cutting a minute off the next guy's hold time. Relax, slow down. Non-IT clients never remember how quickly you helped them, only how (un)pleasant your help was.

[Disregard if you have mainly IT clients; they want speed and accuracy. You could be a talking infected dickhole so long as you deliver results. It's like working in Finance!]

Mainly IT clients. It also takes roughly 30 seconds to log a call (if you're going slowly). What annoys me is that we're not rushing a lot of the time, its quite leisurely. With all the new guys i'll have three or four tickets open at once and a lot of the time i'll be waiting for a response.

What annoys me is that a simple "log call, dial into clients PC, configure label printer alignment" takes these guys an hour at least. If they didn't use every call as an excuse to do nothing for an hour, we'd have a way faster response time.

To give you an idea of how simple it is for the job that the guy is currently on not available for, he has to write down the first few letters of the location and select it from the drop down list. The form will then be filled out with everything except customer name and who its assigned to. You then write down what the problem is and click save. This literally takes 30 seconds.

The he should dial into the PC (using the list we have up at all times). If its a particular customer this can take five minutes, but for the other 95% of sites, it takes another 30 seconds. Then all he has to do is go into devices and printers and change the printer alignment.

At current time of typing he has been on not available for 45 minutes. This isn't a case of "he needs to rush all the time". This is a case of "do your loving job". If you actually get on and do the work, you even have time to mess about on forums (See, me, who currently has closed all his (and this other guys) calls and is waiting for another). Its not really that rushed here, i'm just tired of taking calls that should be going to his cell as his one gets all the printer calls and they're not interesting in the slightest.

I dunno, maybe i'm getting far to annoyed over this, but I know this guy earns way more than me and he doesn't do half as much, while somehow still being cosy with the manager. Doesn't really sit right.

Sorry for venting so much. That was a bit longer than I thought it'd be.

Edit: Ok, I take it back, i'm not getting far to annoyed over this. Somehow its gone from "printer down" to "site down" and the guy decided to go home rather than sort it, without telling any of us. I found out via angry phone call from customer. He could at least tell us that it'd gone horribly wrong so we could prioritize it.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 17, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Thankfully we're away from XP, but for those who aren't: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/12/exponential-algorithm-making-windows-xp-miserable-could-be-fixed/

Essentially: yes, XP is slower than it was. Thanks, Windows Update! Then again, that problem will solve itself in a few months, eh?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

XP got crazy slow during it's life. The original release ran fine on an ~800mhz P3 with 256mb.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 17, 2013

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I saw that a few times recently in my new job. Thankfully I got the go ahead to move everyone to Windows 7 so I was able to not have to care. I went through all sorts of standing on your head and holding your mouth right while disabling and enabling Windows update trying to fix that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
For all of the poo poo that Intuit rightfully gets for Quickbooks stuff, I really wish more companies would follow their lead when it comes to downloading the installer for older/differing versions.

Especially you Adobe. gently caress trying to find an installer for Adobe Standard.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

Thankfully we're away from XP, but for those who aren't: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/12/exponential-algorithm-making-windows-xp-miserable-could-be-fixed/

Essentially: yes, XP is slower than it was. Thanks, Windows Update! Then again, that problem will solve itself in a few months, eh?

It's worse than that (and while my story is Vista related, it touches the svchost.exe). Recently I've had an opportunity to install Windows Vista on my brother's laptop. The laptop is slow, nobody was denying that, but at certain points it would stop to a crawl. Nobody really knew what the problem was, as it was a fresh install, with all the updates applied. After waiting 10m for the process explorer to pop up, indeed svchost was taking 100% of processor usage. Fortunately, it was a known issue (I find it weird then that this is some fresh news, maybe for XP it's something different, connected to the same process, dunno - first page of googling: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-7fedeb1a9ccf, January 2012), and the solution was to update Windows Vista to SP3. Unfortunately, it was already updated to SP3, and trying to download the patch and apply it again resulted in Windows saying happily that the version installed is up-to-date, and it thus won't update.

I've ended up disabling the autoupdater and installing a third party thing which would check for windows updates. Ticket closed, wontfix.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

God dammit we're a multinational company and we're seriously having to discuss whether we should delay the windows 7 rollout by a year to save cash, are you all out of your minds?

Edit: And we're not even losing money!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

God dammit we're a multinational company and we're seriously having to discuss whether we should delay the windows 7 rollout by a year to save cash, are you all out of your minds?

Edit: And we're not even losing money!

Look man it's either the win7 upgrade or the gold leaf rear end gaskets in the executive washroom. I'm sure you understand.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Pissing me off: Even though it is set to do so Google Chrome will not just save a downloaded file in the designated location and then open it. Each time it has to open the "save as" dialogue in windows. I just want the file to open. This works fine on other PCs. I've uninstalled Chrome and used Google's registry uninstaller tool. This used to work on this PC. Any suggestions? I just want to see the download bar :(

edit: So guess what? Once you have 100 of the same file name (filename(1), filename(2)...) in your download folder Google starts behaving as described above. Delete the files and things are back to normal.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 17, 2013

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
Pissing me off: Whiners. No, I will not approve you to buy a best buy special. Its a Best Buy special for a reason. Oh, now you're complaining your eyes won't let you see anything smaller than a 17 inch screen. Well, let me show you about adjusting DPI and resolution.

I guess the main thing that pisses me off is they're claiming poverty after making a bunch of orders for over priced poo poo.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
Not pissing me off: 2nd level techs who say things like "I'm interested in knowing how you did that"

Pissing me off: Realizing how unusual it's getting for me to actually hear something like that from 2nd level techs. :(

Seriously folks, have a goddamn technical interview sometime. Desktop support ain't all about "customer service skills".

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Pissing me off. The more workstations I touch, the more I realize my asshat coworker has not only told Windows to not update, but disabled the service as well. Oh yea, and nothing was sysprepped, so each department's workstations are all registering within WSUS with the same ID so I cannot get reports. When brought up in our meeting today (after I was snapped on for saying I kept hitting "roadblocks" in automating patching), you didn't seem to know what sysprep was.

I hate you coworker.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/arch...us-console.aspx

Run that fucker on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I have a similar script that is working. I believe that one is for WSUS 2.x not 3.2 or whatever is current (came across a few yesterday when troubleshooting). It is just a royal pain in the dick that nothing here has ever been straight forward. Nothing is consistent. Nothing is setup properly. I am forced to fight with idiots to fix their screw ups.

At this point it has been faster to trash and rebuild than to even look at the existing mess for a lot of my projects.