Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I DON'T WANT TO BE A DIRECTOR! OTHERS THINK I WOULD BE GREAT GIVEN HISTORY. Would I be good others have told me yes... However, I don't want to go there.

I am not fighting for this position holy gently caress. I'd be tempted to prove to some goons wrong and say YES I CAN...

I never think I know enough thus the dunning krugger.

Look my goal is to rival some VCDX's and be the best net/storage/virtual guy I can be.

I will be the contrarian and say that if you happen to be in a place where you are willing to take the job, then take it. You're at the age for trying new things and getting in over your head, and god knows you have more I.T. knowledge than I did. You also understand that it's going to be more management than anything else and sooner or later you'll need those skills.

Do it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Dick Trauma posted:

I will be the contrarian and say that if you happen to be in a place where you are willing to take the job, then take it. You're at the age for trying new things and getting in over your head, and god knows you have more I.T. knowledge than I did. You also understand that it's going to be more management than anything else and sooner or later you'll need those skills.

Do it. :colbert:

Seconding this, f'ing do it. Just find a way to keep fresh so you have an escape hatch...

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
It's nice to know even pod people (i.e. Dick Trauma) can be disappointed sometimes.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dick Trauma posted:

You also understand that it's going to be more management than anything else and sooner or later you'll need those skills.
Speak for yourself :colbert:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

evol262 posted:

Speak for yourself :colbert:

Even if you will never be a manager you will work with managers and the skills will be useful. Also they will frustrate you by illustrating just how lousy most managers are.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I would pay a million dollars to not have to listen to my boss and one of the helpdesk guys have one of their deep philosophical conversations about how much Windows 8 sucks because it doesn't have a start menu.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Bob Morales posted:

I would pay a million dollars to not have to listen to my boss and one of the helpdesk guys have one of their deep philosophical conversations about how much Windows 8 sucks because it doesn't have a start menu.

They speak the truth?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have a guy that works here, and two of his sons also work here. So we have:

Jim Smith, Jim Smith II, and John Smith. Jim II just started working in the office so OMG THEY HAVE THE SAME NAME WHAT WILL WE DO FOR EMAIL

This has been going on for about a week. Nobody can email the right Smith for some reason. One of the helpdesk guys explodes with "Why is everyone at this company brain-dead! You sent it to the wrong email address!!"

Then my boss makes a loving Star Trek reference about the problem. Never loving fails.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My boss makes glengarry glen ross quotes all day, he even has AIDA on his white board. I tend to just leave the room when this poo poo starts.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sepist posted:

My boss makes glengarry glen ross quotes all day
I make ironic glengarry glen ross quotes at least once a week. Not feeling bad about it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Dilbert as gently caress, take the job. They think you are right for it, so don't worry about being unqualified. They want to give you this opportunity. Just try it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dick Trauma posted:

Even if you will never be a manager you will work with managers and the skills will be useful. Also they will frustrate you by illustrating just how lousy most managers are.

Been a manager. Hated it. Married to a director. She hates it.

I could have learned the same skills by reading Hobbes :whip:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

evol262 posted:

Been a manager. Hated it. Married to a director. She hates it.

I could have learned the same skills by reading Hobbes :whip:

Start with Peanuts and work your way up.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bob Morales posted:

This conversation happened at work and I showed them the "start menu" for Server 2012. This is the future. :getin:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

We have a guy that works here, and two of his sons also work here. So we have:

Jim Smith, Jim Smith II, and John Smith. Jim II just started working in the office so OMG THEY HAVE THE SAME NAME WHAT WILL WE DO FOR EMAIL

This has been going on for about a week. Nobody can email the right Smith for some reason. One of the helpdesk guys explodes with "Why is everyone at this company brain-dead! You sent it to the wrong email address!!"

Then my boss makes a loving Star Trek reference about the problem. Never loving fails.

When I first started, my dad worked as a manager in another department. So I got [first initial][middle initial][last name]@company.ca. Easy, no problems.

Dad has since retired, we've updated the mail system, so now it's [first].[last]@company.ca. This is now a HUGE PROBLEM, as I am Dan Br.., and our Chief People Officer is also Dan Br.., and I get the most confidential, ridiculous emails from people all the time.

People need to learn to look at auto complete.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Out of a team of six network technicians (4) and engineers (2) three have "moved on" in the past month. One was the other CCNP level guy other than myself and two others were CCNA level techs. Yay DoD contracting! This is not going to be fun for awhile. Bringing on qualified, pre-cleared personnel is near impossible around here. Of course, the contractor made no effort at all to retain the guys or make a higher offer when two of them gave the contractor the opportunity to do so.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

GOOCHY posted:

Out of a team of six network technicians (4) and engineers (2) three have "moved on" in the past month. One was the other CCNP level guy other than myself and two others were CCNA level techs. Yay DoD contracting! This is not going to be fun for awhile. Bringing on qualified, pre-cleared personnel is near impossible around here. Of course, the contractor made no effort at all to retain the guys or make a higher offer when two of them gave the contractor the opportunity to do so.

A lot of that is dependent on the type of contract too; firm-fixed price vs cost-plus. Sometimes there honestly isn't any room.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
We just lost two members from my team and they aren't going to replace them either. Patch nights are going to go from mildly annoying to completely hosed up. On top of that they keep adding new areas of responsibility from other teams, and it's starting to get a little difficult to keep track of everything. Used to be we handled the physical servers and kept them updated, but now I'm also responsible for the virtual environment (new and existing), monitoring, vulnerability, and maintenance of both the legacy systems and the new network that's being pushed out. Both people leaving are doing so because the job just got so much larger without even a token raise.

I've got two computers and four monitors on my desk now, and I feel like I need at least one more monitor just to be able to have sufficient real estate to watch everything I have to keep an eye on and still have a monitor for whatever else I'm working on.

Good news is that if I manage to hold it together until April or May there's a very good possibility of a huge pay increase. If no increase comes, well at least I'll have enough relevant work experience to parlay it into a much better job somewhere else.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

A lot of that is dependent on the type of contract too; firm-fixed price vs cost-plus. Sometimes there honestly isn't any room.

There's very few cost-plus contracts anymore, anyway.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

There's very few cost-plus contracts anymore, anyway.

Exactly and man do I miss them :/

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've been wearing a blue polo for a year now and I am ready to start seriously applying again, so I spiffed up my resume and sent it to a senior manager at another company who will give a recommendation to a few other managers in the company. I'm hoping for a call this week or next. The entry level positions at that company pay more than twice what I'm making now, so I will actually have positive income after bills!

Wish me luck, goons - I want to get going on a career, or at the very least not drown in debt with shrinking paychecks to try and survive on.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Good news is that if I manage to hold it together until April or May there's a very good possibility of a huge pay increase. If no increase comes, well at least I'll have enough relevant work experience to parlay it into a much better job somewhere else.
You should be sending out CVs right now

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
There was a company-wide email this morning from the company president outlining the new criteria for annual reviews. Most of it is the usual customer satisfaction, performance, and self-improvement stuff, with the exception of the following:

quote:

3. Marketing / Public Relations
a. Social Media – what have you done to promote <company>
b. # of Twitter Followers, # of tweets, # of blogs
c. Videos Produced to improve <company> Services (internal or external)

what. the. actual. gently caress.

I have a feeling that this criteria won't make it to the next annual reviews in June intact.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It appears you're expected to contribute to the circle-jerk of telling people how good what you've done or are about to do is going to be, instead of actually doing it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I asked my boss how I was supposed to put working on my Twitter account on my timesheet. He laughed and said not to worry about it, as he felt that it wasn't going to survive until it's required on reviews either.

Hell, last round of reviews they said that we were moving to set job descriptions and salary ranges, but that didn't last 6 months before enough people complaining torpedoed that idea.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

There are a few companies I've dealt with where that sort of thing is the norm. Most everyone I've met at Rackspace won't shut up about how awesome it is to work there. They've got the "fanatical" part of "fanatical support" down. Also at ING Direct (now Capital One 360), employees used to describe things as being "orange" if they were good. That place was like a cult.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

HatfulOfHollow posted:

There are a few companies I've dealt with where that sort of thing is the norm. Most everyone I've met at Rackspace won't shut up about how awesome it is to work there. They've got the "fanatical" part of "fanatical support" down. Also at ING Direct (now Capital One 360), employees used to describe things as being "orange" if they were good. That place was like a cult.

Go work at Microsoft.

It's like being in a vacuum where Apple and Google don't exist and its 2001.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

gently caress AT & T. Fiber line went down last night at main location, nothing wrong on our end so after taking pictures of switches att sends a guy out. I met the guy at 2am this morning and after 45 minutes of work he packs up and heads for the door without a word. I asked him if he got it fixed, he tells me no and mumbles something about the problem being upstream, and as he's leaving I asked him to call and update our network admin. "If you really need me to..." Of course I loving need you to, you didn't tell me poo poo! He's gone before I can ask him anything else.

Woke up at 7 and checked the status of the ticket. Bad cable at their central office, should be back up by 8. Good!

Not. 8 comes and goes, then they said it would be 10 before it's fixed. 10:30 now, still no resolution. In the meantime, email and internet is down company wide (40 locations), and those functions are pretty necessary for banking operations.

So, in conclusion, gently caress AT&T.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

CloFan posted:

In the meantime, email and internet is down company wide (40 locations), and those functions are pretty necessary for banking operations.

Obviously they are not since the company is not not multihomed via different vendors with diverse paths.

It's always great to see people scream how important internet access is when it is down, but when you put the quote in front of them for diversity and redundancy it suddenly becomes less important. "You want me to pay how much for something to sit there idle 'just incase'?! You are out of your mind!"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Obviously they are not since the company is not not multihomed via different vendors with diverse paths."
The thought that formed in my head as I read that post.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, sorry. If you want your email to be highly available then you don't host it at the end of a single link.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I'm in SA too, and I've met quite a few unhappy rackers. The young guys who think it's awesome to have a slide at work and shoot nerf guns at each other while making pretty good money for being in their 20's love that place. I've noticed a trend of the older folks with families and career goals aren't terribly happy with the place. Low pay compared to industry average and they've had a lot of growing pains when it comes to management.

I'm past that poo poo which is why I haven't tried to work there. The first asshat that shoots me with a nerf gun is going to get a nerf dart shoved up their nose. I come to work to work and I leave at quitting time.

This guy I know posted on his FB his first day of "Racker Training" that class was over at 5 but he didn't leave campus until after 9 because he was having so much fun. Yeah...no. I have kids and poo poo to get home to.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

We have two different 10 gig fiber circuits connecting to our data center, taking totally different paths. One day, one got taken out by some knucklehead vandalizing the circuit somewhere upstream. The other got taken out by a random sinkhole forming. At the same time.

Sometimes the gods just REALLY want your poo poo to go offline :negative: We're working on adding a third connection now.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Obviously they are not since the company is not not multihomed via different vendors with diverse paths.

It's always great to see people scream how important internet access is when it is down, but when you put the quote in front of them for diversity and redundancy it suddenly becomes less important. "You want me to pay how much for something to sit there idle 'just incase'?! You are out of your mind!"

Exactly this. The company cut the other line so they wouldn't have to pay for them both, even when poo poo like this happens at least a couple times per year.

Best part is we've got an external audit going on this week! Oh well, not much I can do about it until att fixes it besides bitch on the internet from my phone

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Docjowles posted:

We have two different 10 gig fiber circuits connecting to our data center, taking totally different paths. One day, one got taken out by some knucklehead vandalizing the circuit somewhere upstream. The other got taken out by a random sinkhole forming. At the same time.

Sometimes the gods just REALLY want your poo poo to go offline :negative: We're working on adding a third connection now.

If you add a 3rd connection, it will just be easier for the gods to sinkhole your server room, and lots of people in that building will die.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Docjowles posted:

I think this is a sign that you should move. To a different country. Before the gods of that land smite you. :stare:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Today I had a network outage that was apparently in just the right place to enable a little Mac shop/OSX server to take network authority for 700 users. It filled my DHCP lease table with 65,000 bad addresses almost instantaneously. I never really considered how hard this could brick the internal DNS while it was getting resolved - It was faster to set people up on 8.8.8.8 for the day than to use the DCs

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CloFan posted:

Exactly this. The company cut the other line so they wouldn't have to pay for them both, even when poo poo like this happens at least a couple times per year.
At a BANK? How quaint.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What's the name of the bank? I may have to close some accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawzy
Dec 13, 2002

Does anyone have experience re-negotiating salaries as a contractor? I'm trying to figure out what a fair cut the contracting company should take. Currently I'm making $39/hr and my position is contracted out at $60. So the contracting company is making $21 for every hour I work - which seems ridiculous to me. Also for this position there are absolutely no benefits to add in except for like 7 paid holidays a year when the office is closed (x-mas etc)

• Locked thread