Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laughing_Stock
Jun 19, 2008

Pendergast posted:

I'm looking for something similar to a choose your own adventure, in that the choices you make determines what happens in the games. You could go one way and have one outcome or another way and have another outcome entirely. I really like those old text adventure games like Zork. I've looked myself and can't find anything.

There are some story based games with puzzles I was looking at as well. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors is one that caught my interest. I just don't want anything that relies to heavily on puzzles. I fail at anything numbers/math related in that department and spatial related stuff. I'm better at word games/etc.

Both of those for a DS or 3DS.

I'd recommend going for 999 and Virtue's Last Reward. The puzzles aren't too tough and the characters will give you a million hints if you talk to them enough (just make sure to set it to easy mode in Virtue's Last Reward). Besides the [uzzle aspect, it's basically exactly what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Sinking Ship posted:

So for some reason I have both a 3DS and a PS Vita and I own 1 game between them (Soul Sacrifice) mostly because I had a friend who was a junkie for owning every console who talked me into making irresponsible financial decisions. Now I'm hoping to get some kind of return on that investment (in the form of a game I might play). I like wordy RPG type games (like pretty much Bioware's whole catalog I've enjoyed to some greater or lesser degree) and I'm bad at twitch reflex button masher type games (like I really don't enjoy most FPS CoD type games, or arcade style bullethell type games - because I have terrible reflexs / game playing abilities). Also I have a soft spot for animu type games - on the previous generation of consoles I played and enjoyed Fate/Extra, Final Fantasy Tactics, and the Corpse Party games.

I play PC games pretty much exclusively so I really have no idea what (if anything) is worth buying for handhelds, so I'm sorry if this request is overly broad / vague it's just I see these handhelds every time I open my desk drawer and I feel I would be happier if I played them ever.

I haven't put much time into my handhelds either but the RPG's I've read that go well with the 3DS are Fire Emblem: Awakening, Tales of the Abyss, and Chrono Trigger. I've heard mixed things about Tales but nothing too concerning other than that it's wordy (which is a good thing for me since I thought Metal Gear Solid 4 was awesome).

The Vita has a lot of digital games you can buy from the Playstation Store that are from the PS1 and PSP. Person 4: Golden is an RPG that's always mentioned. I haven't gotten too far (made the mistake of starting on Hard difficulty) but everyone says it's a pretty long game. There's also the upcoming Trails in the Sky trilogy coming to the PSP, which means it'll be put up on the Playstation Store for purchase on the Vita. The first part is already out if you want to get a head start and the second part should be coming soon.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Yar The Pirate posted:

I haven't put much time into my handhelds either but the RPG's I've read that go well with the 3DS are Fire Emblem: Awakening, Tales of the Abyss, and Chrono Trigger. I've heard mixed things about Tales but nothing too concerning other than that it's wordy (which is a good thing for me since I thought Metal Gear Solid 4 was awesome).

The Vita has a lot of digital games you can buy from the Playstation Store that are from the PS1 and PSP. Person 4: Golden is an RPG that's always mentioned. I haven't gotten too far (made the mistake of starting on Hard difficulty) but everyone says it's a pretty long game. There's also the upcoming Trails in the Sky trilogy coming to the PSP, which means it'll be put up on the Playstation Store for purchase on the Vita. The first part is already out if you want to get a head start and the second part should be coming soon.

Thanks for the reply, I've got a few things en route from Amazon now.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sinking Ship posted:

So for some reason I have both a 3DS and a PS Vita and I own 1 game between them (Soul Sacrifice) mostly because I had a friend who was a junkie for owning every console who talked me into making irresponsible financial decisions. Now I'm hoping to get some kind of return on that investment (in the form of a game I might play). I like wordy RPG type games (like pretty much Bioware's whole catalog I've enjoyed to some greater or lesser degree) and I'm bad at twitch reflex button masher type games (like I really don't enjoy most FPS CoD type games, or arcade style bullethell type games - because I have terrible reflexs / game playing abilities). Also I have a soft spot for animu type games - on the previous generation of consoles I played and enjoyed Fate/Extra, Final Fantasy Tactics, and the Corpse Party games.

I play PC games pretty much exclusively so I really have no idea what (if anything) is worth buying for handhelds, so I'm sorry if this request is overly broad / vague it's just I see these handhelds every time I open my desk drawer and I feel I would be happier if I played them ever.

Handhelds have a lot of good Shin Megami Tensei ports and sidegames as well as the mainline series entry SMT4. Soul Hackers on 3DS and Persona 2: Innocent Sin on PSP are among my personal favorites. The other Persona ports and Strange Journey are great too, even if I did feel the later Personas strayed a bit far into anime territory.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

A friend and I were talking about dad games, stuff like Nier and Heavy Rain, and I started wondering if there's such thing as a mom game. I thought of Samus and the baby metroid, but that's all I could really think of. Are there any other games in which you play as a mom, primarily? I'm a little curious.

Also, we have an interest in anything co-op on the PC. We've played pretty much everything popular (Borderlands, Portal, Magicka, Orcs Must Die, Dark Souls, War in the North, Path of Exile, Trine 2, Killing Floor, and probably several more that I can't think of), is there anything special out there that may not have received as much attention? If it's cheap as hell or free, even better.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sinking Ship posted:

I'm not too hot at action games myself, but if you want a game that's animu as all hell and fun to boot, you should definitely give Kid Icarus: Uprising a look. It's half-shooter, half run-and-gun game. While the action can be demanding at times, there's a system in place to mitigate that: at the start of each level, you're given the opportunity to spend hearts (the game's collectible currency) to raise or lower the difficulty, and higher difficulties result in greater yields of hearts and weapon drops. Oh yeah, and there's a weapon fusion system.

My only complaint with the game is that extended play sessions can result in a pretty sore hand due to the control scheme, but I've played for hours through the pain, which should say a lot.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Looking for a SciFi based RPG on the PS3. I have the Mass Effects. Doesn't matter if it's a JRPG, or shooter based like ME. Just want something SciFi themed. Will Star Ocean fit the bill? Any others?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Appoda posted:

A friend and I were talking about dad games, stuff like Nier and Heavy Rain, and I started wondering if there's such thing as a mom game. I thought of Samus and the baby metroid, but that's all I could really think of. Are there any other games in which you play as a mom, primarily? I'm a little curious.

Well... there's Shelter :v:

That's an interesting question though. Hmm.

quote:

Also, we have an interest in anything co-op on the PC. We've played pretty much everything popular (Borderlands, Portal, Magicka, Orcs Must Die, Dark Souls, War in the North, Path of Exile, Trine 2, Killing Floor, and probably several more that I can't think of), is there anything special out there that may not have received as much attention? If it's cheap as hell or free, even better.

Let's see what's in my co-op directory...
There's Diablo and any of its clones (though you've played PoE). Sanctum and Sanctum 2 (highly recommended). Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (highly recommended). Company of Heroes. Dead Rising 2. Dead Island, God Mode (maybe not so highly recommended). Payday 1 and 2, Left for Dead 2. Any of the Rainbow Six games. The newer Splinter Cells have recommended co-op although I haven't tried them myself yet. Resident Evil 5 and 6. Monaco. FORCED.

Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

Appoda posted:

I want to get my co-op on like a boss; any recommendations?

Risk of Rain multiplayer is incredibly fun, especially once everyone has a few more characters. You should give that a try if you haven't. I'll second Payday 2 and Monaco, both of those are a blast. If you like to build stuff and don't mind everything still being in shaky beta stage, you could try Starbound.

I'll have to think about the mom game thing a little bit; I care for a bunch of ferrets and dogs so I don't really look for games that replicate that experience.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

Looking for a SciFi based RPG on the PS3. I have the Mass Effects. Doesn't matter if it's a JRPG, or shooter based like ME. Just want something SciFi themed. Will Star Ocean fit the bill? Any others?

I would avoid Star Ocean. It's basically a poor man's Tales game and pretty mediocre all around.

Resonance of Fate might be decent for you if you don't mind a post apocalyptic JRPG. There's also the Fallouts, but Bethesda games tend to have performance issues on PS3 and I'm not sure if they're any different.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Fallout 3 runs fine on PS3.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Tagra posted:

Well... there's Shelter :v:

Ahaha, I completely forgot about that game. I actually have it, though I haven't tried it yet.

There is a critically acclaimed game called Amy that is kind of like a mom game, I guess? I remember watching SGF play the demo of it, but I'm not sure if the protagonist in it is actually Amy's mother. I guess I'll keep looking.

Tagra and Mazo Panku posted:

A bunch of cool looking co-op games

Thanks, some of these look really interesting, particularly Risk of Rain and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. On Payday 2, would this go over fine with just two players or does it need more of a group dynamic? We don't play with others very often.

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.

Appoda posted:

Ahaha, I completely forgot about that game. I actually have it, though I haven't tried it yet.

There is a critically acclaimed game called Amy that is kind of like a mom game, I guess? I remember watching SGF play the demo of it, but I'm not sure if the protagonist in it is actually Amy's mother. I guess I'll keep looking.

Thanks, some of these look really interesting, particularly Risk of Rain and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. On Payday 2, would this go over fine with just two players or does it need more of a group dynamic? We don't play with others very often.

Once you learn the missions and get about 20 levels under your belt(doesn't take long) Payday 2 operates just fine with two people. You could pick it up on the easier difficulties at two people from the get-go.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sinking Ship posted:

I hate to sound like a broken record but Persona MotherFucking 4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sinking Ship posted:

There aren't too many JRPG's on the 3DS, yet, but the DS has a whole back-catalogue of them. Two of the best you can play are Radiant Historia and Infinite Space. If you want wordy games in general, you should also track down the Ace Attorney DS games along with Ghost Trick and 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (which has a direct sequel on both the 3DS and Vita called Virtue's Last Reward, but you really should play 999 first to get the most out of that). If you're just looking for 3DS games specifically, give Tales of the Abyss a look.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Looking for good iOS RPG options that'll scratch a similar itch to BGEE and KOTOR - in particular, I want to be able to futz around a lot with character building/progression, and have an interesting narrative. RTWP is ideal, but I'll settle for turn based if need be, I guess.

Seems like everything out there is mostly in the JRPG vein, with a few not very good attempts at doing an elder scrolls style first person kleptomania sim. On a platform so suited to isometrics and other third person sort of RPGs..., you'd think there'd be more?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Final Fantasy Tactics comes highly recommended. Sure, it's a SRPG rather than a straight up JRPG and supposedly the story is the most interesting part, although I haven't really played enough of it to know for sure.

It's isometric too! It's kinda hard to play on a phone, although it should be fine on a tablet.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Looking for a good semi-casual multiplayer PC game to play when I'm too tired or don't have enough time to play Dota. Last time I made this request someone recommended Chivalry and I got some mileage out of that. Anything good lately? Edit: I probably already know the answer to this but is the new Call of Duty any good on PC?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

prom candy posted:

Looking for a good semi-casual multiplayer PC game to play when I'm too tired or don't have enough time to play Dota. Last time I made this request someone recommended Chivalry and I got some mileage out of that. Anything good lately? Edit: I probably already know the answer to this but is the new Call of Duty any good on PC?

Might & Magic: Duel of Champions is a cool f2p card game on Steam that's better than the competition. My matches have taken anywhere from 5 to 25 minutes, depending on the deck strategies involved. It isn't quite as good at f2p as Dota but it is still on the better end of the spectrum since staying free is a possibility even if you want to play tournaments.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

prom candy posted:

If you like ARPG's both Path of Exile and Marvel Heroes are fun. The latter is more casual, but both can be played for as little as 10 minutes and feel like you accomplished something. Best part is they are truly F2P. You can easily play both without spending a dime.

I know at release CoD: Ghost was really bad. That may of changed, but judging by how they have treated previous PC releases I wouldn't bet on it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I should add that F2P is not a requirement, I'm happy to buy a game if it's good.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

cat doter posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics comes highly recommended. Sure, it's a SRPG rather than a straight up JRPG and supposedly the story is the most interesting part, although I haven't really played enough of it to know for sure.

It's isometric too! It's kinda hard to play on a phone, although it should be fine on a tablet.

Yeah, been there, done that, looking for something more 'western', for lack of a better term.

I'm just tired of all the animu hair in iOS RPG offerings. :(

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

prom candy posted:

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I should add that F2P is not a requirement, I'm happy to buy a game if it's good.

For better or worse, most popular MP games nowadays are F2P.

With that in mind, besides the two suggestions above (Path of Exile & Marvel Heroes), I recommend War Thunder. It's kinda grindy especially if you don't spend any money, but the game is fun and mostly balanced from the get-go, time commitment per match is minimal, there's no direct penalty to leaving a match early, and the great mouse & keyboard controls make it the most accessible game in the genre.

If you want a shooter, I think the best ones at the moment are Battlefield 4, Counter-Strike: GO and Arma 3. BF4 has a bunch of problems that need to be patched though.

Honestly, just go down this list and pick something that interests you. Something like 25 of Steam's 30 most popular games are either primarily/only MP or have MP as an important feature.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hello all I am looking for an RPG game that is going to last me a while. I'm talking like super-dense, mega-timesink "I need to sink 1000 hours of this game just to scratch the surface). A lot of depth and complexity. Can be single-player or MMO. Thanks!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Xandoom posted:

Hello all I am looking for an RPG game that is going to last me a while. I'm talking like super-dense, mega-timesink "I need to sink 1000 hours of this game just to scratch the surface). A lot of depth and complexity. Can be single-player or MMO. Thanks!

What have you already played?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Xandoom posted:

And which consoles do you own?

One you might want to watch out for is Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky which has a PC port coming some time this winter.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If you haven't already played it I would recommend Fallout: New Vegas, there's more than enough quests and stuff to explore to keep you busy for a while.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Xandoom posted:

My all time favorite RPG is Morrowind. If you can handle clunky combat, it has an enormous, unique world to explore, a whole set of skills and attributes to raise, loot to collect, multiple factions to rise through the ranks, a surprisingly decent plot, and a fuckton of mods to expand or tweak your experience.

Other single-players:
  • The other Elder Scrolls games. Oblivion is probably the shittiest, Skyrim is decent.
  • Fallout New Vegas combined with Fallout 3 using the Tale of Two Wastelands mod. Shoot and explore your way across ruined Washington DC and Las Vegas.
  • Infinity engine games: Baldur's Gate 1+2 (use the BGT mod to combine them into one long saga), Icewind Dale 1+2. Maybe not Planescape, as that's more story-focused.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: the only JRPG I can stomach. Lots of grinding, easily 100 hours there.
  • The Witcher 1+2. Good story and setting, solid RPG mechanics, slightly clunky combat.
  • Mount and Blade Warband + mods. Level your dude, recruit more troops, and travel across medieval Europe fighting your way to the top. Great combat combined with leveling and loot in a compelling system.
  • Unironic Dark Souls. Great combat, unique setting, lots of time to get good and get good equipment.
  • The Gothic Series + Risen? German studio, pretty hardcore RPGs.

MMOs: I don't play many, but I'll try.

• A lot of people I know have said that Guild Wars 2 is easy to get into and very accessible while still providing a bunch of content. There's a good goon guild for it, too.
  • I've heard good things about The Secret World, too. Has deep RPG mechanics.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a game that has a Trading aspect, Building up an Army from a singular unit (like Mount & Blade, Starsector, or Uncharted Waters 2,) battles I can take part in, and a Faction system.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a game that has a Trading aspect, Building up an Army from a singular unit (like Mount & Blade, Starsector, or Uncharted Waters 2,) battles I can take part in, and a Faction system.

The X games. Think Privateer, but with the ability to build a HUGE trade empire, up to and including space stations. I have dicked around the last one (rebirth) and didn't enjoy it, so I'd recommend the last version of the previous iteration. X3:Albion Prelude.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Xandoom posted:

Guild Wars 2 is a theme park MMO, but with interesting design quirks (like linear levelling; 1-10 takes about as long as 70-80). It has tons of content, and a "Living Story" that adds additional time-limited content roughly every 2 weeks.

It has its share of problems (questionable dungeon design, for starters) but it's definitely the MMO I've sunk the most time into and feel the least guilty about playing casually.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

a medical mystery posted:

Guild Wars 2 is a theme park MMO, but with interesting design quirks (like linear levelling; 1-10 takes about as long as 70-80). It has tons of content, and a "Living Story" that adds additional time-limited content roughly every 2 weeks.

It has its share of problems (questionable dungeon design, for starters) but it's definitely the MMO I've sunk the most time into and feel the least guilty about playing casually.

There is no better overworld on the market right now than GW2's. Exploring feels like genuine exploring, even though the areas are zoned, theme park style. There's always stuff to find, things to do, and you're never sad to see other players because they can't steal your resources or gently caress with your quests. Huge, beautiful game. Whether or not it hooks you for the long haul, who can say? But getting to 80 in that game was super pleasant.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Xandoom posted:

No, really, play Dark Souls. It is probably what you're looking for if you haven't played it yet.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I haven't been following gaming closely for years so I'm sorry if there's some obvious title I'm not aware of but my guess is what I'm after will probably have been made by an Indy developer if it exists. I would prefer the title to be on the PC, GBA or DS.

I'd like to play an action RPG like Seiken Densetsu 3, especially if it has a class change system.

I would also like to play a simple sidescrolling adventure RPG like Faxanadu/Zelda 2. Go right, climb stuff, buy weapons/armor, buy magic, explore castles, fight bosses.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MrBims posted:

No, really, play Dark Souls. It is probably what you're looking for if you haven't played it yet.

It's probably not a thousand hour game, but it has everything else he's looking for.

quote:

I would also like to play a simple sidescrolling adventure RPG like Faxanadu/Zelda 2. Go right, climb stuff, buy weapons/armor, buy magic, explore castles, fight bosses.

Oh man there are tons of these on PC:
The Spirit Engine 2 (it's freeware even. Look for a guide on the battle system though.)
Valdis Story (a metroidvania with multiple characters)
Rogue Legacy
Aquaria (though it's swimming rather than jumping)

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I had never heard of those first two and they look right up my alley. Thanks.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I really enjoyed playing Trials: Evolution on PC and I'd love to play more games like it. Is Trials 2 worth checking out even though it's the older entry in the series? I'm also open to any other games from other series, and I have a PC and a 360 available to use.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I'm looking for an RPG that has a heavy focus on crafting and making things. I'm restricted to a low end laptop for now though I think the max it can run is low settings Deus Ex: HR directors cut.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

madjackmcmad posted:

There is no better overworld on the market right now than GW2's. Exploring feels like genuine exploring, even though the areas are zoned, theme park style. There's always stuff to find, things to do, and you're never sad to see other players because they can't steal your resources or gently caress with your quests. Huge, beautiful game. Whether or not it hooks you for the long haul, who can say? But getting to 80 in that game was super pleasant.

Guild Wars 2 is begging for a full-fledged expansion with new areas to explore. Existing content can only keep you hooked so long in that game, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to play until you run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I enjoy the random building up of your character aspect of Risk of Rain, Binding of Isaac, and Nation Red. What are some other games that have gameplay that is similar? The more choices and upgrades the better. Although those three are more action based, any genre would work.

I've played TOME and Rogue Legacy which are similar, but I don't get the same feel from them as the ones mentioned above. I think it's because the character you start with is predefined in both of those games.