Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm not sure that it does, since she basically has no personality in BG1 :v:

And since they planned to kill her in BG2

If anything it begs more questions!
Yeah, it's not as if there was an Imoen romance or something.

Maybe Imoen was planned to be killed because Neomi rejected the guy that liked her. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

SheepNameKiller posted:

I get this but IWD feels really dated compared to IWD2 and I haven't replayed it in a long time for that reason. Personally, I'd be really unlikely to buy an EE for it. IWD2:EE I'd be all over.

I honestly don't feel like IWD2 *needs* an Enhanced Edition, mostly because 3rd edition rules aren't nearly as retarded as 2nd.

My problem with IWD, as odd as this may sound, is that the game making classes better makes it hard to make a good party. In IWD2 you can get by quite well without a rogue as a bard with good INT can fill in quite well, but in IWD1 you really need at least a multi-class rogue because, just as in BG2, single-class rogues are shite. Druids and bards are so much better that you wouldn't want to not have one of each, but you also need two good tanks since priests in 2nd edition are crap in melee with their 1 APR. Plus, you need a cleric and a pure mage of some sort...

All of the talk in this thread has made me want to pick back up IWD, but I literally cannot settle on a 6-person party.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Of course it needs an EE, if nothing else just for more content and cashing in on an old IP to help generate buzz for an infinity engine 3.0 :colbert:

Also I hated the UI in IWD2. I prefer my party portraits on the right side, not that weird 'entire bottom of screen is used up by UI like some old kings quest game'.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

I honestly don't feel like IWD2 *needs* an Enhanced Edition, mostly because 3rd edition rules aren't nearly as retarded as 2nd.

Mechanically it definitely does not, you're right. I was thinking more in terms of new content, but then again their new zones weren't that great in the two EEs they've released. Their characters were OK but I feel like it would ruin IWD in some way if i were forced to choose between making my own party and NPC characters. That's never been the focus of the games, I guess.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

SheepNameKiller posted:

Mechanically it definitely does not, you're right. I was thinking more in terms of new content, but then again their new zones weren't that great in the two EEs they've released. Their characters were OK but I feel like it would ruin IWD in some way if i were forced to choose between making my own party and NPC characters. That's never been the focus of the games, I guess.

If they did make an EE for it, I really don't think they'd add new characters. Part of the fun of the IWD's was that you could mold your own party from scratch. If you were looking for interesting characters and bantertalk, then you had the BG's for it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I don't really get why people find 2E rules so confusing, I figured that poo poo out when I was a 10 year old kid playing the gold box games.

I'm not saying it's great or anything but I feel like it's also not nearly as complicated as people make it out to be. Getting the basics down is simple at least especially when there's a computer doing the dice rolls for you

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Levitate posted:

I don't really get why people find 2E rules so confusing, I figured that poo poo out when I was a 10 year old kid playing the gold box games.

I'm not saying it's great or anything but I feel like it's also not nearly as complicated as people make it out to be. Getting the basics down is simple at least especially when there's a computer doing the dice rolls for you

Lower AC is better, as is THAC0. And THAC0 itself is a little confusing at first.

Other than that it's really simple and I'm a bit partial to it myself.

Back to the IWD EE discussion, though, just trying to play IWD now is annoying because you have to gently caress around with mods to get the resolution to a tolerable level.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I don't have the EEs for BG1 and 2, so maybe this is in, but the ONE thing I've always wanted in those games is the four different weapon set-ups from IWD2, where I could click a button and switch from dual wield, to sword and shield, to a two-hander, to a bow and arrow, or whatever it is. Not having to juggle weapons around in the inventory screen is nice, especially in BG1, where I'm often fighting at range.

One thing that takes getting used to, when going back to 2nd Edition after playing 3E games like IWD2 and Neverwinter Nights, is how ability scores affect things in 2nd edition rules, especially the mental ones. 3E streamlined everything, by tying a lot of your abilities to your stat bonuses, and I still find myself leaving a stat at 12, thinking it's good for at least a +1 to whatever is governed by that stat, even if that doesn't work in 2nd Edition. Charisma is a good example because, in Baldur's Gate, 12 Charisma does nothing, whereas you get +1 to your "reaction adjustment" with 13 Charisma.

Also, there are charts that indicate a low Wisdom carries a spell failure chance, and your wizard spell levels are limited by your Intelligence score, but that doesn't appear to actually be the case in game. A wizard with the minimum 9 Int can still learn 9th level spells, even if he's never supposed to go beyond 4th.

Though maybe the Wisdom spell failure thing is legit and that's why Minsc can never get his Armor of Faith spells off when I want him to? I just don't recall it ever being mentioned in-game. All your other modifiers are listed on screen.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Leofish posted:

Also, there are charts that indicate a low Wisdom carries a spell failure chance, and your wizard spell levels are limited by your Intelligence score, but that doesn't appear to actually be the case in game. A wizard with the minimum 9 Int can still learn 9th level spells, even if he's never supposed to go beyond 4th.

Though maybe the Wisdom spell failure thing is legit and that's why Minsc can never get his Armor of Faith spells off when I want him to? I just don't recall it ever being mentioned in-game. All your other modifiers are listed on screen.

The Int limit was implemented in the Enhanced Editions and as far as I know the Wis spell failure thing has never been in the BG games.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Really? A <18 INT wizard will never gain level 9 slots in the EE?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

oswald ownenstein posted:

Of course it needs an EE, if nothing else just for more content and cashing in on an old IP to help generate buzz for an infinity engine 3.0 :colbert:

we're already getting another infinity engine game though

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Scorchy posted:

What on earth is that?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

What on earth is that?

http://eternity.obsidian.net/

So loving excited.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

What on earth is that?

Project Eternity Pillars of Eternity?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Suspicious posted:

Really? A <18 INT wizard will never gain level 9 slots in the EE?

I can't confirm yet but I'm pretty sure they just cant scribe level 9 scrolls. The number of spells castable at each level isn't influenced by INT.

You just need a Potion of Genius, its not much of an issue.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Scorchy posted:

I enjoyed everything in the trailer but for that clip. I get that they were just using it to show off some spell effects, and it's not finished gameplay but those dudes are static as all hell. Nobody moves and they don't even react to getting hit :(

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I enjoyed everything in the trailer but for that clip. I get that they were just using it to show off some spell effects, and it's not finished gameplay but those dudes are static as all hell. Nobody moves and they don't even react to getting hit :(

I'm a million percent sure that's the case. The game is still a year off, reaction and idle animations are probably a ways off from being implemented.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Scorchy posted:

Cape physics are the best physics

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Cape physics are the best physics

It's nice that they're actually rendered on the characters, instead of being invisible stat slots.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

fong posted:

I can't confirm yet but I'm pretty sure they just cant scribe level 9 scrolls. The number of spells castable at each level isn't influenced by INT.

You just need a Potion of Genius, its not much of an issue.

I can now confirm this: the restriction is on scribing scrolls not on casting the spells.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Which is the same as in the original. They just fixed the bug where level 9 spells specifically didn't factor intelligence when copying or indeed, if you already had the spell learned. The other spell levels worked normally. So intelligence is still mostly useless.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Honestly I found IWD1 to be a little too easy for my liking, but I so love how good bards and druids are in that game. I've never touched HoF mode though personally, since I think you need mage levels on pretty much anyone who hopes to ever survive the amount of AoEs and stuff that get thrown at you (because mirror image avoids them).

Ome of my most memorable Infinity experiences was playing through Heart of Fury mode with a 3 person party. Fighter, bard, cleric/thief. For most of the game, the fighter used that mace with a chance to heal you and buff your strength. If the fights lasted long enough, and in HoF mode they always did, he eventually turned into a STR 25 living blender. The bard provided high caster level Horrid Wiltings and other fun stuff, and played songs in between. Most of my micro was with the cleric/thief. The expansion added quasi-3rd edition sneak-attacks, and Spiritual Hammer provides you with a melee weapon that can strike at range... Also, moving up to high level targets under Sanctuary, and casting Harm or Slay Living on them to take them out. That's what happened to the summoner in the Dragon's Eye.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Baldur's Gate more like Baldur's GREAT am i right

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

pogothemonkey0 posted:

It's pretty flawed, but in the context of being alpha footage, it looks loving great.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish
Sorry if I overlooked someone mentioning it, but all this IWD discussion made me check what it costs right now and both games are 70% off on GOG. Only for six more hours or so, however, so sorry if you read this later today. :shobon:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lower AC is better, as is THAC0. And THAC0 itself is a little confusing at first.

Other than that it's really simple and I'm a bit partial to it myself.

If only someone could convert BG1/2/IWD1/PS:T to Darkest Dungeon, so we could have ascending AC and to-hits.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Read through this thread yesterday getting my nostalgia fix and I dug up my disks for IWD2 to finish the adventure I never did when it came out. I had some bug problems at release that really stopped me cold. I'm sort of throwing around party ideas - Paladin/fighter for the leader, I'd like a dual wielder for my secondary melee, Cleric build of some sort, Bard, Some kind of caster, and rogue I think caps out my party.

My question would be what build would be effective for a dual wielder? Can I get the requisite feats with a high Dex fighter or should I class into Ranger? Also, would it be worthwhile to use the patches that increase the cap to 40 or would that totally break the balance of the game?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Levantine posted:

Paladin/fighter for the leader

If you have a Paladin for the "spokesperson" he will automatically refuse a lot of quest rewards, just something to bear in mind.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

My problem with IWD, as odd as this may sound, is that the game making classes better makes it hard to make a good party. In IWD2 you can get by quite well without a rogue as a bard with good INT can fill in quite well, but in IWD1 you really need at least a multi-class rogue because, just as in BG2, single-class rogues are shite. Druids and bards are so much better that you wouldn't want to not have one of each, but you also need two good tanks since priests in 2nd edition are crap in melee with their 1 APR. Plus, you need a cleric and a pure mage of some sort...

All of the talk in this thread has made me want to pick back up IWD, but I literally cannot settle on a 6-person party.

Playing IWD2 after enjoying BG/BG2:EE makes me reeeeeally wish there was an IWD2:EE. There's so much technical stuff I miss. Better resolutions (unlike the other IE games, the IWD2 UI gets real ugly with the widescreen mod), zoom, proper map-scrolling with the keyboard, better optimization (being able to run it without using the graphics slowdown fix would be great) would be more than enough on its own. Add to that content stuff (I'd love to see prestige classes, though that might be asking a bit much), bug-fixes like improved initiative, and some quality of life stuff (why doesn't pressing alt instantly cause units' health/names to pop up like tab did in BG2?) would be amazing.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Please tell me that's a real game and not some bullshit fan project that won't go anywhere.

edit: It's obsidian!

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Please tell me that's a real game and not some bullshit fan project that won't go anywhere.

You sir have been living under a rock.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

:frogout:

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

Rushputin posted:

Sorry if I overlooked someone mentioning it, but all this IWD discussion made me check what it costs right now and both games are 70% off on GOG. Only for six more hours or so, however, so sorry if you read this later today. :shobon:

Turns out I only need to be sorry for myself after all, because right now they and all the other DnD games on GOG are sold at *80%* off.

I'm almost tempted to buy NWN2 *again* because I don't remember where I got it a few years ago (and I lost my old emails) and I either can't find the online store anymore or whoever it was lost the rights for it.

Anyway, let's see if I can get into IWD1 after having gotten used to the EE interface...

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Just a quick question on leveling multiple classes in IWD 2. As I understand it the classes would just level almost independently of each other. So if I level twice as a fighter and then leveled twice as a mage, I would keep all the fighter abilities, etc. and then as I leveled as a mage I would get mage hit points, spell progressions, etc. for two levels. The only difference would be the mage levels would require larger experience then a normal level 1/2 mage would need.

Is this basically correct? My experience with 3rd edition rules is nil but I have most of it figured out, just need some help on the multi-class aspect.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Rushputin posted:

Turns out I only need to be sorry for myself after all, because right now they and all the other DnD games on GOG are sold at *80%* off.

I'm almost tempted to buy NWN2 *again* because I don't remember where I got it a few years ago (and I lost my old emails) and I either can't find the online store anymore or whoever it was lost the rights for it.

Anyway, let's see if I can get into IWD1 after having gotten used to the EE interface...

Are Demon Stone and Dragonshard any good? I just noticed that they are part of the GOG pack and I never heard of them before today.

taint toucher fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 18, 2013

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Jive One posted:

Is this basically correct? My experience with 3rd edition rules is nil but I have most of it figured out, just need some help on the multi-class aspect.
Yes. Note however that an evenly split Fighter/Mage multiclass won't be very good in 3E, since you'll never be as good at hitting things or taking damage as a pure fighter or able to cast high level spells. The tabletop game tried to compensate for that with prestige classes, but that isn't an option in IWD2.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Factor_VIII posted:

Yes. Note however that an evenly split Fighter/Mage multiclass won't be very good in 3E, since you'll never be as good at hitting things or taking damage as a pure fighter or able to cast high level spells. The tabletop game tried to compensate for that with prestige classes, but that isn't an option in IWD2.

Another IWD1/2 note: bards and druids are seriously good in these games as opposed to their generally underwhelming performance in the Baldur's Gate series (yes, I know blades can be ridiculous when used right).

Archonic
Oct 11, 2003

bury me with it

Rushputin posted:

Holy hell, thanks for the heads up! That just took care of the other half of my roommate's christmas present. He plays tabletop D&D with me, but has never played any of the Infinity Engine games, so I hope he looks forward to the RPG avalanche.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Jive One posted:

Just a quick question on leveling multiple classes in IWD 2. As I understand it the classes would just level almost independently of each other. So if I level twice as a fighter and then leveled twice as a mage, I would keep all the fighter abilities, etc. and then as I leveled as a mage I would get mage hit points, spell progressions, etc. for two levels. The only difference would be the mage levels would require larger experience then a normal level 1/2 mage would need.

Yes, in 3E experience points required to level are based on your character level and not on your class level. Also, keep in mind, in IWD2 more than 4 fighter levels are, for the most part, useless. 4 levels gets you weapon specialization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Leofish posted:

Yes, in 3E experience points required to level are based on your character level and not on your class level. Also, keep in mind, in IWD2 more than 4 fighter levels are, for the most part, useless. 4 levels gets you weapon specialization.
I keep seeing that repeated and I don't see why people say it. Fighters work very well as warriors. They might not have any class-specific abilities other than weapon specialization, but they get a ton of feats. This means that they can quickly specialize in a weapon and acquire other useful feats such as cleave. And later they can use all their feats to boost their saves or other attributes or specialize in multiple weapons for added flexibility. And unlike say Monks or Paladins you don't have to worry about Multiple Ability score Dependence, which is more of an issue in IWD2 since you have a set number of ability points and can't just keep rerolling until you can almost have straight 18s. Just have high Str and Con and a decent Dex for a melee combatant (and a decent Wis for the Will saves) or high Dex and decent Str for a ranged combatant.