Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Korea. Cannes. USA. Cambodia. Now Arino adds a new destination to his list: Paris. Will Arino come down with a crippling case of Paris Syndrome? And will the fans turn out for his trip to the Japan Expo?

The two hour special was translated by zari-gani (who wants you to know that she's aware that Herge is Belgian), cleaned up by Hirayuki, with some pick up by Gutcruncher for good measure who applied some spackle while I was away.

Torrent Download

Thats awesome but tintin is Belgian! Shoulda drawn watanabe like obelix instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Perhaps the "I know that Hergé is Belgian" disclaimer in that post should have been bolded.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

But zari-gani, Arino is Belgian.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Mister Chief posted:

Hopefully this week.

Anything I can help with, let me know!
(I'm a Rails and front-end guy...)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

Regarding the torrent: we seem to be stuck with no seeder at the moment. *Kortan voice* Nnnnnooooooooooooo

It's not stuck. My upstream speed is just that slow. It took me five hours to transfer it to a file download site only to find out that it didn't work and then just said, "Screw it," and put up the torrent.

This could have been worse. This could have been the 1080p version instead of the 720p.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

It's not stuck. My upstream speed is just that slow. It took me five hours to transfer it to a file download site only to find out that it didn't work and then just said, "Screw it," and put up the torrent.

This could have been worse. This could have been the 1080p version instead of the 720p.

Oh, I have no worries about the download speed, uTorrent just shows 0 seeders. Whatever speed is fine with me just as long it keeps going. I still remember delving into teh interwebs and downloading music via FTP up to speeds like 5k per second (and that was super fast by that times' standards.)

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Oh wow, this is going to be a fantastic watch for sure---if Christmas goes terribly in these parts, I'm just going to think back to this and reckon it on balance at the very least instead.

RedFive
Feb 20, 2003

Thank you for the Paris trip special! The Tintin art is a really nice touch.

Thanks, SA-GCCX! You're the true meaning of Christmas. :yaycloud:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I didn't expect it this fast. You guys are the best.

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013
Could somebody PLEASE make a wallpaer out of Tintin Ari-Ari? That is awesome!!!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I was seeding all day while I was at work guys! I'm going to watch this after dinner and it will be good :3:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Watch out guys, you angered the Nyaa.se denizens!

quote:

Well, when you look at the fact that there was a transport stream and a perfectly good quality raw available but even so they decided totally destroy the show by making their own "raw" (horribly bit-starved to say the least and they used DivX) and hardsubbed their release, you kind of know that they don't care about quality, I won't even begin to comment on their typesetting.

It's amazing how no matter how nice goons are, we still manage to anger random people :allears:

Anyway, thanks for this release, it's pretty freaking awesome, as usual.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Grilox posted:

Watch out guys, you angered the Nyaa.se denizens!
Seriously, gently caress the encoding snobs who refuse to release anything in a codec playable by normal media programs without an hour of Googling and codec experimenting.

Thank you for the Paris special. I can't wait to watch it now.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Well I was really excited for two solid hours of Arino in a beret but I guess it was totally destroyed :( Thanks for ruining Christmas, SAGCCX!!

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Someone tell me they have any details whatsoever about a London visit - I'm SURE I just saw Kan say 'after the movie'...

:pray:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Seriously, gently caress the encoding snobs who refuse to release anything in a codec playable by normal media programs without an hour of Googling and codec experimenting.

Thank you for the Paris special. I can't wait to watch it now.

In all honesty though, I would love to see eventual highest quality possible releases. Not at the expense of new releases, but when all is caught up, GCCX re-released on the highest quality raws available would be amazing. I want to look at middle aged Japanese men in quality so high it's like I'm there with them.

And that's not saying I dislike what we get, on the contrary, but in the long term it'd be cool.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hokuto posted:

Yeah, I personally enjoy watching stuff on my computer screen instead of through the dozen of devices that can play other formats on my television. And why make it easy for people to upload it to streaming sites? Anyone who watches Game Center CX that way isn't a real fan.

I'm well aware that I'm not the best at this. We do all of our work with free software and codecs and that has certain limitations besides how things are actively handled for maximizing the ease of viewing and distribution. I'm pleased that most people are willing to give me a bit of leeway on that.

Aurain posted:

In all honesty though, I would love to see eventual highest quality possible releases. Not at the expense of new releases, but when all is caught up, GCCX re-released on the highest quality raws available would be amazing. I want to look at middle aged Japanese men in quality so high it's like I'm there with them.

Unfortunately there's exactly two releases where I have found a better master after the video was released (I knew about the 1080p version before releasing this one, but chose to go with 720p for the sake of distribution; I'd be seeding through Thursday to get a 1080p version going). Game Center CX tends to have really low quality master videos. Before season nine it was shot on really low quality video. After that the quality improved and then in season 15 it improved even more. Nintendo Channel videos were often streamed to pretty weak devices and wind up looking really bad. There's only so much that we can do about that.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
I would love to see the subtitle-files returning in some form, then the complainers could do their own encodes.

Does anyone know of a Firefox plug in or something which would autotranslate Arino's tweets to English?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

makere posted:

Does anyone know of a Firefox plug in or something which would autotranslate Arino's tweets to English?

I think with Arino's slang, his frequent references to other comedians, and the fact that Japanese relies so heavily on context (a lot of that is gone due to the brief nature of tweets), you're just going to see a whole lot of jibberish.

I ran a bunch of his recent tweets through Google Translate to demonstrate:

"Adults of today also Dasse one hour earlier toys!"
"What color is what comedians are on the radio. Heh! I have a lot of say"
"Nose people booger"
"I think junior colleagues and had a face cock-happy that you get to take me to the evening meal, but I was Shikato condition because of poor because pigged out last night at work. It is not possible to gently enough to give a treat yourself to eat Hen. Standing five hours the other thought that want to go to the bathroom and back"

Arino_ebooks

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I don't understand what the big hubbub is. The Paris Special looks great. Seems like some people are more interested in encoding and framerates than actually watching the show.

But man, those Paris sandwiches look great.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Hokuto posted:

What? Most stuff is uploaded using H.264 in .mp4/.mkv, which is a really common codec (used by Vimeo, YouTube, and the iTunes Store, web software such as the Adobe Flash Player and Microsoft Silverlight, and also various HDTV broadcasts over terrestrial, cable and satellite) and common containers and I'm pretty sure is indeed playable by most "normal media programs" (what does that even mean, anyway?). If it's taking you more than 30 seconds to get a codec for it (and for some reason your player of choice doesn't have it's own ability to play it) then that's your fault. Most TV hardware even supports it now, including things like Sony Blu-ray players and PS3s.

It's also something you only need to do once a year at most. You have to update your codec less often then video card drivers. Just get CCCP, or MPC (which comes bundled in CCCP, too.). Or I guess you could get VLC media player if you're weird.

But, you know, gently caress progress and better quality with smaller files! Yeah!

I agree with the guy about the whole avi/xvid/divx thing, but I don't really agree with how he said it. It's SAGCCX decision and the show is still completely watchable this way so I just live with it. I can't speak for whatever they're talking about when it comes to the raw.

Great episode. Taking a break half way through, but this is probably my favorite part so far:

(linked so I don't upset any possible spoiler people): http://i.imgur.com/CY5Ft6W.gif

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

I don't understand what the big hubbub is. The Paris Special looks great. Seems like some people are more interested in encoding and framerates than actually watching the show.

But man, those Paris sandwiches look great.

One more thing is that a lot of the masters we get lately are encoded at a lower bit rate than is appropriate. You might not notice as much but I have to watch a lot these episodes frame by frame and I see it. It's not as bad as it was for seasons 13 and 14 (we used the best master available there; you don't want to know how bad the worse versions of those episodes got) but nowhere near as sharp as earlier ones. Of course beggars can't be choosers and I don't want to complain when we have to accept what we can get. Also, I'd be thrilled to have masters as rough as we used in Jogging Race or even Tower of Babel for Vice or the Pilotwings stage show.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

PureRok posted:

What? Most stuff is uploaded using H.264 in .mp4/.mkv, which is a really common codec
I think we both know that he was talking about the 10-bit stuff with FLAC audio.

Would I prefer translated episodes to be in h.264 and not xvid? Totally. Am I about to complain about it? gently caress no. People need a little perspective sometimes. Not everything is going to be exactly what you want in every single way. I'm happy to be able to watch the episodes at all, regardless of video codec or typeface.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

zari-gani posted:

Arino_ebooks

I couldn't help myself...
[https://twitter.com/Arino_ebooks]

A Big... Dog fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 18, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for another release, looking forward to giving it a look tonight. :)

PureRok posted:

It's also something you only need to do once a year at most. You have to update your codec less often then video card drivers. Just get CCCP, or MPC (which comes bundled in CCCP, too.). Or I guess you could get VLC media player if you're weird.

Hey, what's wrong with VLC? :saddowns:

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

Seems like some people are more interested in encoding and framerates than actually watching the show.

That sounds familiar...

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 18, 2013

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Also, I'd be thrilled to have masters as rough as we used in Jogging Race or even Tower of Babel for Vice or the Pilotwings stage show.

Old episodes re-air on Fuji next in high quality once a week or so, if I recall correctly they up to around F-Zero or, so if you check in a few months it might be available.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
This episode brings up a question I've been wondering for a little while.

Are there groups doing fansubs of GCCX in other languages?

I have no idea how widespread English is in France, so I'm just wondering about the high turnout of fans who seemed to know the show quite well.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Vlaphor posted:

I have no idea how widespread English is in France, so I'm just wondering about the high turnout of fans who seemed to know the show quite well.

I found a few episodes subbed in French (like a half-dozen or so), looks like they straight-translated our English SRT for those episodes. There's also, if memory serves, some German and Russian subs floating around.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Random Stranger posted:

Will a direct download be put up another time?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Just a minor nitpick, but at 36:34, Arino is shown to be on level 3-7, but you have it subtitled as 3-9.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Vlaphor posted:

As a French-Canadian, I'm pretty comfortable with English subs (I listen to English movies/series with English subs...).

In the Arino's intro in Paris, by the Arc de Triomphe, I can't even understand what he says... 10% French, 90% gibberish! :) But who cares, it's Arino!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I feel like someone should mention that the guys at Giant Bomb have been playing a lot of Windjammers recently. Here's what the game looks like when you play it after streaming for 23 hours straight without a nap.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Yet another great release, I got many good laughs during the special.

Kyrie
Nov 8, 2003

No more blue tomorrows.

jyrque posted:

For discussion, has there been any new events revealed? There's a stamp event on the 21st as zari-gani mentioned. Is anyone going?
I'll probably be going to the stamp event at some point in the day! My Japanese is pretty limited though so who knows how successful I'll be. Mostly I just want to check out the demo of the new game and have a look at the merchandise and that sort of thing. Anyone else going can feel free to PM me their LINE info or whatever if you want to meet up. :)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Kakaricho posted:

That sounds familiar...

So it wasn't just me that thought that to be a bit too familiar. Good to know.

I'll have to get to watching the special some time today - can't have this kind of stuff sit around on my hard drive unwatched for too long.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Ő_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Ő
The Paris trip episode was even more amazing than I expected. Once again, SAGCCX proves it's awesomeness, and I thank you guys again for doing another great job. :)

I think this was a lot better than the USA trip in many ways (especially the challenge since the game in question actually looks at least decent and pretty fun). Also, I want to own one of those (minor trip spoiler) Pac-Man Battle Royale machines Arino, Inoue, Watanabe, and Hashiguchi played and I'm surprised that Arino, despite being the Puzzle Chief, (late challenge spoiler) figured out that trick on 10-7 as fast as he did (I've never played Mario & Wario, but I'm sure I would've never figured that one out without an FAQ).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Obeast posted:

Also, I want to own one of those (minor trip spoiler) Pac-Man Battle Royale machines Arino, Inoue, Watanabe, and Hashiguchi played

There's a home version due out early next year, if that's any consolation.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's a home version due out early next year, if that's any consolation.

You mean I wont need to blow 20 bucks every time I visit the arcade? Ah who am I kidding, I still will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GCCX3 was just on the Japanese Nintendo Direct stream apparently.
I don't speak the language and haven't seen it, but if you're interested, it may be worth checking that out when the archive is up.

e: Japanese Direct link here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_direct/20131218/index.html

Possibly where said archive will be.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 18, 2013