Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboticSpaceWizard
Nov 28, 2013

Corek posted:

If you look closely, the way the Neimoidians move their mouths changes between episode I and II. It matches their mouths better in Episode II.

Here's a few contemporary articles about the accents that further explain the correlations between stereotypes:

http://www.thenation.com/article/racial-ventriloquism?page=full
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/opinion/articles/990712/archive_001413.htm

I will not mount a defense of Jar-Jar. The Gungans are a Jamaican-based race of schmucks.

The rest of the associations become incoherent, near the end of the Leo article in particular.

quote:

A Neimoidian senator named Lott (Trent Lott?), representing the evil viceroy Nute Gunray (Newt Gingrich?) wears a version of a Catholic bishop's mitre and a Catholic priest's stole over a dark robe. This can't be an accident. It duplicates, almost exactly, the appearance of a real bishop. It's a small reference but an unmistakable one. So Catholics, along with Asians and Republicans, are at least vaguely associated with Neimoidian treachery.

Is anyone here willing to elaborate on this argument that Nemoidian headdresses are anti-Catholic, or that the capitalist Nemoidian greed is an allusion to Republican stereotypes? I expect not, since this is a left or center-left forum, but there isn't much substance to the idea even if one was inclined to support it. Reading the Neimoidian entry on Wookieepedia, they fit Jewish stereotypes almost exactly (obsessed with wealth, greed, and status, the leaders of an enormous commercial space cabal), yet Watto is supposed to be the Jew here. :psyduck:

The strongest evidence for the Semitic caricature as Watto is a hundred-year-old cartoon found in an obscure European magazine. Nobody could, or should be expected to defend themselves from the plethora of obscure racism in the sum of the last two centuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

True.

But the Neimoidians are clearly space Japanese from WW2. They even launch a Pearl Harbor like attack.

Well, like I said they have the Asian connection (though I never got specifically Japanese- their accent is more a general sibilance) but Pearl Harbor was a sudden violent strike, whereas the Trade Federation just park troops on the planet and say "'sup bitches, we're in charge." The carnage waits until the climax.

So I guess it's more like their occupation of, I dunno, Manchuria? I'm not clear on the Pacific theater.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well, like I said they have the Asian connection (though I never got specifically Japanese- their accent is more a general sibilance) but Pearl Harbor was a sudden violent strike, whereas the Trade Federation just park troops on the planet and say "'sup bitches, we're in charge." The carnage waits until the climax.

So I guess it's more like their occupation of, I dunno, Manchuria? I'm not clear on the Pacific theater.

It would have been more destructive if the Naboo had even a semblance of an Army - which they don't. They certainly didn't expect the attack.

Regardless, from the moment I first saw TPM, the Asian stereotype for them seemed pretty overwhelming.

As for Watto, he's specifically a stereotypical NYC merchant - hairy, wearing a wife beater, loud, pushy, etc.

RoboticSpaceWizard
Nov 28, 2013

redshirt posted:

But the Neimoidians are clearly space Japanese from WW2. They even launch a Pearl Harbor like attack.

Again, there is an incoherence in these accusations. Towering headdress is one of the most prominent Nemoidian features, but the Japanese are not stereotyped for such. Their accent is exaggerated Chinese stereotype. WWII Japan was associated with fanaticism, brutality, and the refusal to surrender, not a simpering dependence and total lack of backbone.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

It would have been more destructive if the Naboo had even a semblance of an Army - which they don't. They certainly didn't expect the attack.

Regardless, from the moment I first saw TPM, the Asian stereotype for them seemed pretty overwhelming.

As for Watto, he's specifically a stereotypical NYC merchant - hairy, wearing a wife beater, loud, pushy, etc.

I really would like to hear him redubbed as Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

RoboticSpaceWizard
Nov 28, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Connections to either event are weak. The Japanese incursion into Manchuria was presented to the rest of the world as a response to Chinese military aggression a la the Gulf of Tonkin incident (with a higher degree of untruth). The reasoning behind Pearl Harbor is, for obvious reason, completely different than that of the Trade Federation. The United States was not an oppressed nation and there was no blockade of the island by a clearly superior Japanese navy.

RoboticSpaceWizard fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 18, 2013

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

RoboticSpaceWizard posted:

Connections to either event are weak. The Japanese incursion into Manchuria was presented to the rest of the world as a response to Chinese military aggression a la the Gulf of Tonkin incident (with a higher degree of untruth). The reasoning behind Pearl Harbor is, for obvious reason, completely different than that of the Trade Federation. The United States was not an oppressed nation and there was no blockade of the island by a clearly superior Japanese navy.

Do you believe there are no racial stereotypes in the Prequels?

I think there is. However, I don't think there were any in the OT.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

redshirt posted:

What about "sand people"?

I don't remember how they're actually portrayed though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

What about "sand people"?

I don't remember how they're actually portrayed though.

Like mindless savages. They don't speak English so there's really no stereotype they could display.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

redshirt posted:

They don't speak English so there's really no stereotype they could display.

Huh?

Isn't desert people as savages a stereotype?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

Huh?

Completely mindless, more like animals? Seems like a big stretch.

They're introduced as animals, Obi-Wan treats them like animals. This mitigates the slaughter in AOTC by the way, because everyone on Tatooine sees them as animals.

RoboticSpaceWizard
Nov 28, 2013

redshirt posted:

Jar-Jar is an uncomfortable Jamaican caricature. Lando's copilot in ROTJ is some kind of pan-Latino/Chinese bobblehead.

Thinking about it, I have to admit that whatever creative process synthesized Yoda and Admiral Ackbar succeeded in creating aliens devoid of almost any racial attachments. Almost any, because a determined polemic could make a case for Yoda rising from an amalgam of pygmy bushmen, Wise African, and Magic Negro stereotypes, while Ackbar...well, I don't even know, but it is 100% possible depending on how far you want to push it.

With sufficient argumentation, any alien race is ipso facto proof of deliberate or institutional racism :rolleyes:

edit:

Lord Krangdar posted:

Huh?

This is the sort of quandary I'm talking about. The idea of savage desert aliens seems perfectly devoid of racism, but then you start breaking it down, and you discover an unsettling colonial attitude with respect to the British perception of Zulus, for instance. Possible solution: make the aliens non-humanoid. But that won't stop your critics, since appearances can be superficial skins for the depth of metaphor presented by the symbolic nature of a Savage Tribe of Desert People, after all. Institutional racism runs deep in our society.

Oh yeah, and the Jawas are Gypsys.

RoboticSpaceWizard fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 18, 2013

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

With sufficient argumentation, any alien race is ipso facto proof of deliberate or institutional racism :rolleyes:
You have a point. However, I think the choices of vocals and inflections makes a difference. That guy in ROTJ never says a word of English, and thus seems quite alien. You could try and buttonhole the Wookies or Ewoks as some type of ethnicity if you tried, but they never speak English either, and so there's much less of any real impression.

As opposed to the PT, where the choice of vocal style and inflection makes all the difference. If the Neimoidians talked in some alien language that got subtitled I doubt there'd be much of an accusation of Asian stereotyping. But since they do speak English, it sounds like a cartoonish Asian stereotype.

RoboticSpaceWizard
Nov 28, 2013

redshirt posted:

You have a point. However, I think the choices of vocals and inflections makes a difference. That guy in ROTJ never says a word of English, and thus seems quite alien. You could try and buttonhole the Wookies or Ewoks as some type of ethnicity if you tried, but they never speak English either, and so there's much less of any real impression.

I would agree as far as the idea that too many 1:1 allusions to a real race indicate racism on the part of the creators, but disagree in that I believe language is only one possible allusion, and not significantly more powerful than the others. The only completely uncontroversial accent is American TV English because it is the preferred WASP sound - but how odd would it be if every negatively portrayed alien race spoke like Anderson Cooper?

quote:

As opposed to the PT, where the choice of vocal style and inflection makes all the difference. If the Neimoidians talked in some alien language that got subtitled I doubt there'd be much of an accusation of Asian stereotyping. But since they do speak English, it sounds like a cartoonish Asian stereotype.

Actually, you can't dodge the bullet like that. Most foreign films from China, Japan, and Korea are subtitled, which is common knowledge for anyone who grew up a fan of Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, or Jet Li, just as George Lucas grew up on...Flash Gordon cartoons and Fu Manchu.

The copilot alien sounds suspiciously like Chinese jibberish, also, despite what shreds of rudimentary syntax displayed in his "language" being in no way based on Chinese.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The copilot alien sounds suspiciously like Chinese jibberish, also, despite what shreds of rudimentary syntax displayed in his "language" being in no way based on Chinese.

Dude, I know consulting wookiepedia is frowned upon, but it takes five seconds to check and find out that lando's Co-pilot is speaking an actual language. (Haya, if you were curious)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Portraying an alien means portraying the Other. To do that with care and nuance would involve leavening the subject with sufficient psychological and philosophical weight that comes with different patterns of thought; or, the on the other side of the spectrum, to deploy the sublime terror of confronting the incomprehensible, neither of which tends to be suitable for a fantasy action-adventure.

These films, like the serials that served as inspiration and are baked into their DNA, are steeped in the culture of Western imperialism and thus deploy foreign/colonial stereotypes as convenient shorthand that speaks to the cultural background that creators and audiences share. It's less that these characters are Space Japanese/Jews/Bedouins, and more that those bundles of stereotyped characteristics communicate to the audience, "Oh, these characters are Other, and the West Republic must tame them, save them from themselves, subdue them, destroy them, educate them on symbiont circles, etc."

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 18, 2013

RoboticSpaceWizard
Nov 28, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Portraying an alien means portraying the Other. To do that with care and nuance would involve leavening the subject with sufficient psychological and philosophical weight that comes with different patterns of thought; or, the on the other side of the spectrum, to deploy the sublime terror of confronting the incomprehensible, neither of which tends to be suitable for a fantasy action-adventure.

These films, like the serials that served as inspiration and are baked into their DNA, are steeped in the culture of Western imperialism and thus deploy foreign/colonial stereotypes as convenient shorthand that speaks to the cultural background that creators and audiences share. It's less that these characters are Space Japanese/Jews/Bedouins, and more that those bundles of stereotyped characteristics communicate to the audience, "Oh, these characters are Other, and the West Republic must tame them, save them from themselves, subdue them, destroy them, educate them on symbiont circles, etc."

I don't understand why you would attempt a reading of either trilogy through the imperial/colonial dichotomy. If we take all aliens as, collectively, the Other, we have to admit that the avatars of the Galactic Republic are Yoda, the Senate, and Palpatine. Humans are overrepresented, yes, in the main cast, but there are plenty of aliens with lines and agency. The Jedi Council is majority alien. Yoda is neither a figurehead or a passive actor in either the symbolism or the plot action of either trilogy. Ackbar is the commander of the entire rebel fleet, and he is the one who literally calls the shots.

Curiously, the Empire is an explicitly anti-alien organization, so your imperial rhetoric would work well compared to the, uh, Imperials, but not so much the films as a whole.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

To a galaxy-spanning civilization so far past integration, there should be little left to the unknown and the incomprehensible. The tech stasis reflects this (everything being about the same over 30 years). In fact, the truly incomprehensible would be unjustifiable in SW.

To the other point, the films do sketch each race a little roughly on account of having only one or two examples of each race, at the most. Since they are space operas and not anthropological documentaries, this is appropriate. EU works such as KOTOR, having the time to expand the universe, have deepened the portrayal of many species to the level of the human characters.

RoboticSpaceWizard fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 18, 2013

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

redshirt posted:

They're introduced as animals, Obi-Wan treats them like animals. This mitigates the slaughter in AOTC by the way, because everyone on Tatooine sees them as animals.

Are you suggesting that we're not supposed to see Anakin's slaughter as reprehensible in the context of the film?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

redshirt posted:

That colonists consider natives to be "animals" is not very surprising, but it certainly doesn't mean that the colonists are correct. They only appear "uncivilized" because they don't speak Basic (English), but it's safe to assume that's a conscious refusal on their part.

No one is arguing any of this.

Star Wars isn't racist, it's criticizing racism. The humans in the Alliance are better than the Empire, in a large part because they treat aliens/droids better. The rebels aren't presented as perfect though; Chewie doesn't get a medal, everyone ignores 3P0 despite him always knowing what's going on, it's not until Jedi that we see an alien in command. But it's real progress compared to the violent exploitation of the Empire, and the condescending tolerance of the Old Republic.

edit:

sassassin posted:

Are you suggesting that we're not supposed to see Anakin's slaughter as reprehensible in the context of the film?

Well, that's a tough one, because that tribe did kill his mother, so out of all the reasons to consider revenge justifiable, that's pretty sympathetic. But he also takes it too far; killing their children and pets and everyone, not just the raiders. I agree it's definitely supposed to feel wrong, and it does, but an important part of that wrongness is how we identify with Anakin's pain and anger.

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 18, 2013

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

sassassin posted:

I said mitigates. It would certainly be different if Anakin slaughtered a bunch of people instead.

Even Padme seems to take it OK - and she's our representative in this galaxy of "Civilization".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

redshirt posted:

I said mitigates. It would certainly be different if Anakin slaughtered a bunch of people instead.

Even Padme seems to take it OK - and she's our representative in this galaxy of "Civilization".

The way he justifies it makes his actions more horrifying, not less.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

sassassin posted:

The way he justifies it makes his actions more horrifying, not less.

The way the moment is written in the AOTC novel, it goes into detail about the slaughter. It's pretty bad.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

sassassin posted:

'Died of a broken heart' has literally never meant anything but suicide.

edit: Suicide because she goes from being a Senator with a powerful (if secret) husband to an unemployed single mother who was beaten by her husband. It's a class thing.

This is one of my biggest issues with ROTS, the whole broken heart thing. You just gave birth to 2 kids, and you're too weak to go on? Medically she's perfectly healthy? Ugh.

I wish it was more either just a difficult pregnancy and she just didn't make it through, or Anakin survived immolation because he was tapping into her life force or whatever, so he directly but inadvertently causes her death.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Black Bones posted:

Right, but it could also be a fez, or whatever type of headwear desert folks wear.

You don't know what hats look like. Both hats you're talking about have no brim. Hit hat has a pronounced brim all the way around. It's closer to a pork pie hat, or a WWI British soldier helmet.

There's plenty of things about Watto you could say might be racist. His hat in Episode II is not one of them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vintimus Prime posted:

This is one of my biggest issues with ROTS, the whole broken heart thing. You just gave birth to 2 kids, and you're too weak to go on? Medically she's perfectly healthy? Ugh.

I wish it was more either just a difficult pregnancy and she just didn't make it through, or Anakin survived immolation because he was tapping into her life force or whatever, so he directly but inadvertently causes her death.

Your biggest issue is that suicide doesn't always make sense?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

You don't know what hats look like. Both hats you're talking about have no brim. Hit hat has a pronounced brim all the way around. It's closer to a pork pie hat, or a WWI British soldier helmet.

There's plenty of things about Watto you could say might be racist. His hat in Episode II is not one of them.

That hat denied a nice young alien couple a mortgage just because their gills were the wrong color.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

redshirt posted:

It would certainly be different if Anakin slaughtered a bunch of people instead.

I'm tempted to give you this as a big red title because it's pretty alarming tbh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

redshirt posted:

Love often blinds people to the monstrous actions of others. Remember when Obi-Wan saw Anakin... on a security hologram... killing younglings?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Female Sand People (Tusken Raiders) in Episode II wear what are basically brown burkas. I don't remember if you can see this clearly in the movie but the were clear pictures taken during production. Even as a kid looking at the Visual Dictionary I realized "Oh those are supposed to be Muslim women."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Even in Dune the sand-people are basically space Arabs.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

euphronius posted:

Even in Dune the sand-people are basically space Arabs.

That's cause Dune is basically Lawrence of Arabia in space. The Atreides are the Brits, Paul is Lawrence, the Fremen are the Bedouins, the Harkkonens are the Turks, the Imperial forces are the Germans who are supporting the Turks, and the Spice Melange is sweet, pure, crude oil. Granted, the mysticism elements are new as are the sandworms and much of the surface details. But the basic story? That's Lawrence of Arabia. So of course the Fremen are space Arabs. That's literally what they represent.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Yeah Herbert even went on the record saying the imagery was supposed to be that blatant. CHOAM or whatever it is was supposed to be OPEC as well. Later in the books it gets a bit crazier, but the first book is exactly how jng described it.

Edit: Ah, we were saying the same thing

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 18, 2013

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah that was my point. It is just as obvious as Star Wars.

RoboticSpaceWizard
Nov 28, 2013

sassassin posted:

Your biggest issue is that suicide doesn't always make sense?

There are many cases of death via the simple act of desiring suicide documented in the medical literature. it is known.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The issue is that the idea of a new mother losing the will to live (because her husband turns out to be an rear end in a top hat) immediately after giving birth and seeing her newborn children goes against the laws of common sense so much that it weighs towards parody.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

There are many cases of death via the simple act of desiring suicide documented in the medical literature. it is known.
Was this mechanic established in the story told by the film?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Darko posted:

The issue is that the idea of a new mother losing the will to live (because her husband turns out to be an rear end in a top hat) immediately after giving birth and seeing her newborn children goes against the laws of common sense so much that it weighs towards parody.

The laws of common sense don't recognize post-partum depression I guess, a clinical diagnosis that affects like 20% of new mothers.

RoboticSpaceWizard
Nov 28, 2013

Ave Azaria posted:

Was this mechanic established in the story told by the film?

Well, the other option is that she had no agency in her death (e.g. something killed her). That's unsubstantiated.

edit: truly, the dark influence of the prequels is clouding this thread's faculties

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Danger posted:

The laws of common sense don't recognize post-partum depression I guess, a clinical diagnosis that affects like 20% of new mothers.

Post partum depression doesn't occur immediately after birth, it sets in a few days or weeks later. Mothers typically don't crank out new healthy babies, look at them, go "NOPE!", and then die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboticSpaceWizard
Nov 28, 2013

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Post partum depression doesn't occur immediately after birth, it sets in a few days or weeks later. Mothers typically don't crank out new healthy babies, look at them, go "NOPE!", and then die.

Good point. Postpartum depression doesn't involve spontaneous death-by-thought, either.

• Locked thread