Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

tentawesome posted:

Isn't Sky Drop banned in VGC?

It was banned in gen V because of a glitch that could cause you to get an opponent stuck in the air, but it's been fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

^e: f, b

tentawesome posted:

Isn't Sky Drop banned in VGC?
I feel like I'm going to regret asking this again, but why is Sky drop banned? Or rather, why is it still banned? I know it was bugged when Black/White came out but I thought they fixed that by the time the sequels came around. Has the VGC just not updated the rules or something?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It was fixed in BW2, but because at tournaments you might be playing against someone who has BW1, it remained banned for all of generation 5. It is not banned at all in generation 6.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Moving this to the next page since it was the last post and kind of big.
So I slapped this team together last night on the Frost server and had some luck with it (Went from 1000 to 1500+ in like 3 battles because it put me against 1600+ enemies) Can I get some tips/suggestions on them? I like Mega Aggron as a wall, but I've got no idea what to do with his move pool

Masquerade (Hawlucha) (M) @ Power Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Encore
- Sky Attack

Momma Steel (Aggron) (F) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 136 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef / 116 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Aqua Tail

Star^2 (Starmie) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt
- Surf

Booster (Goodra) (M) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower

Tiny Dancer (Breloom) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Power-Up Punch

Slug Waifu (Gastrodon) (F) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 168 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef / 84 Def
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Scald

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Moving this to the next page since it was the last post and kind of big.
So I slapped this team together last night on the Frost server and had some luck with it (Went from 1000 to 1500+ in like 3 battles because it put me against 1600+ enemies) Can I get some tips/suggestions on them? I like Mega Aggron as a wall, but I've got no idea what to do with his move pool

The only status you're running on that team is Spore (and I guess Scald?), so maybe consider a thunder wave set for Aggron. Twave/Rocks/Dragon Tail/Heavy Slam doesn't provide huge coverage, but it hits hard and helps the team. You also have no real phasing so Dragon Tail would help put a stop to anyone who tries to set up (especially a physical sweep).

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Countblanc posted:

The only status you're running on that team is Spore (and I guess Scald?), so maybe consider a thunder wave set for Aggron. Twave/Rocks/Dragon Tail/Heavy Slam doesn't provide huge coverage, but it hits hard and helps the team. You also have no real phasing so Dragon Tail would help put a stop to anyone who tries to set up (especially a physical sweep).

Seconding this. This is the exact set I run on my Mega Aggron and it works pretty well. Set up with Stealth Rocks, Twave their threat, and start dragontailing their set ups outta there while spreading paralysis on the rest of their team. Just gotta watch out for hard hitting fire moves (which filter helps alleviate somewhat). If they make the mistake of trying to face you mon to mon, then stab Heavy Slam hits drat hard and makes them second guess staying in. I like to lead with him and keep him in until he goes down. I can usually put paralysis on 3-4 members of their team while racking up a bit of residual damage via SR which lets the rest of my team clean up. Also dragon tail predictions on their switch in to a fire type always makes them feel stupid (boy am I glad they haven't introduced a Fairy/Fire type yet).

2MB fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 18, 2013

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
After a few losses, I got my first ever win on Pokemon Showdown. I'm so proud of my team :3:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battletower-pokebankoubeta-223800

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Countblanc posted:

This looks like a really good set. I was setting up a support Tyrannitar set with rock and pursuit, but I think I like this more. I don't plan on having an Excadrill on my team so sand storm may just be a nuisance.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

That set tends to do really poorly against other walls like Vaporeon or Ferrothorn or even Skarmory. Also doesn't like Prankster Sableye much.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Zoness posted:

Also doesn't like Prankster Sableye much.

Does anything like Prankster Sableye?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

why oh WHY posted:

Volcarona.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

why oh WHY posted:

Whimsicott. Oh Prankster that's Cute. I've got Base 116 Move speed AND Prankster. You'll never Out Taunt me :smug:

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Whimsicott. Oh Prankster that's Cute. I've got Base 116 Move speed AND Prankster. You'll never Out Taunt me :smug:

I always forget about Whimsicott, which is probably a bad idea now that I think about it what with the Bank opening soon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just introduce Whimsicott to any poison attack and watch it die in one hit due to the 4x weakness.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Just introduce Whimsicott to any poison attack and watch it die in one hit due to the 4x weakness.

Gonna have to be a pretty fast nerd to hit it before it U-Turns into a Steel Type.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Gonna have to be a pretty fast nerd to hit it before it U-Turns into a Steel Type.

That's where the fun of a Fire Type comes in.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think Magmortar has the potential to be used with a gimmicky Focus Energy set much like Hydreigon and Kingdra. It's not as fast as either, nor does it have Sniper, but it has got base 125 special attack, Overheat (which has no drawbacks when you always score a critical hit), and some surprising coverage in the form of Thunderbolt and Psychic.

You could also do that with Blaziken or Infernape, though both would rather be physical attackers instead. (Infernape even gets Nasty Plot, so there's even less reason to choose Focus Energy and use up its item slot for this gimmick.) Camerupt is another option for trick room teams.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 18, 2013

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Anyone have a good guide to Hidden Power typings in Gen VI? Basically I want to figure out what's the best IVs I can have while getting HP Ice on a Chandelure.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Hidden power typings haven't changed at all. Best for HP Ice is 31/30/30/31/31/31 or 31/31/31/31/31/30.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Or you could use a poison attack that isn't on a poison pokemon. A 4x weakness means its going to die to one, STAB or not.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-smogondoublesbeta-168565
I'm finally starting to get a handle on this Contrary/Prankster team.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

why oh WHY posted:

Espeon. Most Sableyes I see just light themselves on fire and run away.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama

MustelaFuro posted:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-smogondoublesbeta-168565
I'm finally starting to get a handle on this Contrary/Prankster team.

This seems really fun. I got really pumped when I saw Malamar getting ready to sweep everything. Excellent plays on the Protects and Topsy Turvys.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

LAY-ZX posted:

If they are dumb enough to actually try to burn you when it's obvious you have a Magic Bounce Espeon then they deserve to be burned.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

LAY-ZX posted:

His signature move is worse than Earthquake, a move that can be learned by nearly a third of all Pokemon in existence. He has already been thoroughly thrown under the bus.

Yeah, but wasn't Kyurem kind of poo poo until he got new forms in the sequels? I don't know how Giratina compares between his formes (but I think he just fills different roles?)

Maybe there'll be a Mega Zygarde, Or Zygarde X/Y.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Prankster Liepard outspeeds Sableye too.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

LAY-ZX posted:

Espeon doesn't like Foul Play much. Also agreeing with what why oh WHY said.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-oubeta-170752

Frost server seems really awful, even 1000's on the normal server were better than this. I hope normal showdown comes back up.

All fairy team swept by gyro balls.

Also fun fact - heliolisk demolishes azumarill.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I downloaded the update yesterday and now my save is corrupted and there's no way to fix it based on what I heard about the save glitch when the gamw first came out. Has anyone else had this happen with the new patch?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Zoness posted:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-oubeta-170752

Frost server seems really awful, even 1000's on the normal server were better than this. I hope normal showdown comes back up.

All fairy team swept by gyro balls.

Also fun fact - heliolisk demolishes azumarill.

This guy is sweeping my team with a physical attack, better keep using Calm Mind.

why oh WHY posted:

If they are dumb enough to actually try to burn you when it's obvious you have a Magic Bounce Espeon then they deserve to be burned.

My team only has two physical attackers and both are able to kill a Sableye in one hit if unburned, and in my experience very few people are willing to risk missing the chance to burn a Mega Mawile just because I might switch to Espeon. :v:

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 19, 2013

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

canoshiz posted:

Espeon doesn't like Foul Play much. Also agreeing with what why oh WHY said.

Depends on the set, really. 252 HP/4 Def Espeon gets 2HKOed only 27.7% of the time after Leftovers and can easily set up Reflect before the second Foul Play. 252/252+ Calm Mind Espeon gets 4HKOed and can 2HKO with Dazzling Gleam at +1 so it will barely win even if it switches in on a Foul Play. Offensive Espeon is the only set that really struggles with Sableye as it's 2HKOed and fails to OHKO 252/252+ Sableye with Dazzling Gleam.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

Depends on the set, really. 252 HP/4 Def Espeon gets 2HKOed only 27.7% of the time after Leftovers and can easily set up Reflect before the second Foul Play. 252/252+ Calm Mind Espeon gets 4HKOed and can 2HKO with Dazzling Gleam at +1 so it will barely win even if it switches in on a Foul Play. Offensive Espeon is the only set that really struggles with Sableye as it's 2HKOed and fails to OHKO 252/252+ Sableye with Dazzling Gleam.

If it HAS managed to bounce the burn, it actually has more turns, since Foul Play's damage is affected by the user being burned despite that not necessarily making sense. I've never actually had a problem dealing with Sableye. Maybe I'm just only battling really bad players.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I run Knock Off on my Sableye and it seems to always 2HKO Espeons who want to switch in to a Taunt.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm wonder trading away reject Tyrunts and I get some good stuff and I get some bad stuff. My latest two were a 1IV hidden ability Carbink, which is about par I guess, but then I get a Pansear. I'm about to throw it away like usual, but then I notice it's level 1. Someone's breeding the drat things to wonder trade away :stare:

Edit: Still threw it away

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

LAY-ZX posted:

If it HAS managed to bounce the burn, it actually has more turns, since Foul Play's damage is affected by the user being burned despite that not necessarily making sense. I've never actually had a problem dealing with Sableye. Maybe I'm just only battling really bad players.

Fun fact, Foul Play is also affected by Mega Mawile's Huge Power when it uses Foul Play.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

PSWII60 posted:

Fun fact, Foul Play is also affected by Mega Mawile's Huge Power when it uses Foul Play.

Funner fact, with just 4 speed EVs Mega Mawile outspeeds Sableye and I never have to care. :frogout:

e: Oh you're talking about Mawile using it. I misread. Foul Play is weird. I DO have an extra four speed EVs on my Mawile in case of the occasional Sableye who tries to do something funky, though.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 19, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Or you could use a poison attack that isn't on a poison pokemon. A 4x weakness means its going to die to one, STAB or not.

You should re-read what I posted. I said whatever pokemon you have using a poison move needs to be really really fast because It's a pretty obvious attack coming in, at least in comp games, and the Whimsicott can just U-Turn away into something immune to the poison.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

He interpreted you correctly, one of you is just over/underestimating the use of poison on non-poison monsters

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I mean I guess if you are a boring person who only uses boring predictable pokemon your opponent might know exactly what moves you have, but even then there are enough viable sets for most pokemon that a surprise poison move would catch most people offguard. Poison as a whole became way more useful due to the fairy type introduction. Its not crazy to imagine more pokemon will be packing poison moves now, regardless of their type.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A number of things that would've had trouble with Whimsicott in generation 5 will now find it much less of a waste to splash Poison Jab, Sludge Bomb, or Sludge Wave.

• Locked thread