Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The weirdo forensic dude had heard it, and described it like it gave him a friggin boner or something. He was way too into it.

I watched that a couple of days before heading into grizzly country during berry season, and woke up to have one grunting and sniffing our tent at 4 in the morning. Fun times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balls Macintosh
Dec 9, 2013
I'll be horseback riding Spring-Autumn in Montana mountains, where the worst it gets will likely be 30s and bigass hail. I'm totally indecisive about what layers I should use if I want to not drown in sweat but be prepared for heavy rain. Weight is not as much of an issue as if I was backpacking, but I'm a lightweight and get cold easily.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Merino's dirty little secret.

To be fair this was after quite a bit of hiking. I love these shirts but they get holes after a few hours of use.

Completely separate thing, but has anyone dealt with Mont Bell for warranty work? I sent off a down puffy almost a month ago and have not got any word back on the repair. I tried to email them using their website but no reply.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I've only gotten holes in my merino shirts when I got it caught in my hip belt buckle or something...that looks like you were mugged by squirrels

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mercury Ballistic posted:

To be fair this was after quite a bit of hiking. I love these shirts but they get holes after a few hours of use.
Did you get assaulted by bears with machine guns? I've got a whole bunch of merino shirts (:heysexy:) and tshirts and none of them have this issue (after years of skiing and biking in them). What brand are yours?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

evil_bunnY posted:

Did you get assaulted by bears with machine guns? I've got a whole bunch of merino shirts (:heysexy:) and tshirts and none of them have this issue (after years of skiing and biking in them). What brand are yours?

This is an icebreaker. Same result from a smartwool of similar weight. I wear them backpacking with a ULA Circuit pack. This one did half the AT so I expect some wear, but compared to a synthetic they just do not hold up.
I get the first holes at the waist buckle, then the chest buckle, then the shoulder strap areas on my back. They are great for the warmth, smell reduction and drying speed, but durable they are not, at least for me.

In icebreakers defense, they offered to replace it after the first holes appeared after about 2 days of use. I figured it was not worth wasting their time.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I've noticed similar things with a smartwool shirt, holes near the shoulders.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

My icebreaker boxer briefs are super comfortable, but they've also developed holes pretty quickly. Meanwhile, my underarmor boxer briefs seem to have a lifespan of around a thousand miles, and even then they only develop a hole where my neoprene hip wrap rubs against my thigh.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The only merino products I don't utterly destroy doing trailwork 40 hours a week are darn tough socks. Shirts and underwear are way too expensive and get ruined far too quickly.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Hypnolobster posted:

The only merino products I don't utterly destroy doing trailwork 40 hours a week are darn tough socks. Shirts and underwear are way too expensive and get ruined far too quickly.

Oh I totally agree. I wear merino long johns, because they get protected by my pants, but otherwise the Icebreaker shirts I own are just for traveling & looking good.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
This is probably an ignorant question, but I don't know what resources exist online for snow questions; Google tends to turn up ski area reports. Do the mountains in Maryland and northern Virginia (like Catoctin Park or Shenandoah NP) tend to get and retain snow cover in January and February? My friend and I want to escape what looks to be a snowy winter here in NY/NJ, and I was wondering what snow-free options we could get to in a weekend.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Time Cowboy posted:

This is probably an ignorant question, but I don't know what resources exist online for snow questions; Google tends to turn up ski area reports. Do the mountains in Maryland and northern Virginia (like Catoctin Park or Shenandoah NP) tend to get and retain snow cover in January and February? My friend and I want to escape what looks to be a snowy winter here in NY/NJ, and I was wondering what snow-free options we could get to in a weekend.

Acapulco.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Time Cowboy posted:

I live not too far from SNP. This time of year, it can go either way, but generally any snow cover will melt within a week with the exception of N facing slopes and valleys. Skyline Drive through the park is generally closed as they do not plow it, so to enter the park you need to walk in from the numerous trail heads on the periphery.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

I live not too far from SNP. This time of year, it can go either way, but generally any snow cover will melt within a week with the exception of N facing slopes and valleys. Skyline Drive through the park is generally closed as they do not plow it, so to enter the park you need to walk in from the numerous trail heads on the periphery.

Thank you for the info! That sounds pretty awesome, actually. Do you have any recommendations for 7-10 mile loops with views worth an 8 hour drive?

Edit: Recs for cheap places to sleep in northern VA or MD would also be appreciated, if there even are such places.

Time Cowboy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 19, 2013

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I grew up near Catoctin. Catoctin will be quite similar to Shenandoah in terms of length of snowfall staying around. I think they close up the camping for the season in November. Thurmont, small town right out the park should have a few inexpensive motels to stay in. Frederick will be slightly more expensive but more options, the drive is about 20 minutes or so. Hagerstown, longer drive but possibly cheaper places to stay is another option as well.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Time Cowboy posted:

Thank you for the info! That sounds pretty awesome, actually. Do you have any recommendations for 7-10 mile loops with views worth an 8 hour drive?

Edit: Recs for cheap places to sleep in northern VA or MD would also be appreciated, if there even are such places.

The default Shenandoah Hike is Old Rag. The most popular loop is south of Sperryville VA, nearish to Luray, VA. Since they closed the upper parking area, it is about a 10 mile loop. The way up is about a mile of bouldering and can get very crowded on weekends. A little north and much less popular is Duncan Knob, which is actually in the National Forest and has an access road that may not be plowed but is not closed. Both are pretty easy to find info on google.

Edit:Duncan Knob is a good hike on its own, similar to Old Rag with a big pile rocks at the summit. Less popular but still worth it.

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 19, 2013

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

I watched the NPS video on Old Rag. I only started going to the gym a couple weeks ago, so I dunno if I'll be ready for a mile of rock scrambling by February. Still, it looks really cool and I kind of want to try. Here's hoping for a nice warm week in February and no blizzards right before it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Really should have worn those yaktrax things tonight or put some screws in the bottom of my boots. Trails were slippery and I fell down pretty hard, like hard enough for my friends to be concerned instead of just laughing at me. And not while actually hiking, but when were were standing around at a junction to regroup and take pictures and stuff. Think I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow.

Anyway, is there a recommended 2-3 person tent? Want to get one for my dad. Is a 2 person backpacking tent really only a 1 person thing where everyone has their own on a trip and you have to cram in there together for two people? Ideally my parents would do some occasional overnight hikes together and the like. I want to say it would be good to have a little extra space. We have an REI in town plus a number of outdoor gear stores.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

jamal posted:

Really should have worn those yaktrax things tonight or put some screws in the bottom of my boots. Trails were slippery and I fell down pretty hard, like hard enough for my friends to be concerned instead of just laughing at me. And not while actually hiking, but when were were standing around at a junction to regroup and take pictures and stuff. Think I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow.

Anyway, is there a recommended 2-3 person tent? Want to get one for my dad. Is a 2 person backpacking tent really only a 1 person thing where everyone has their own on a trip and you have to cram in there together for two people? Ideally my parents would do some occasional overnight hikes together and the like. I want to say it would be good to have a little extra space. We have an REI in town plus a number of outdoor gear stores.

Depends on the shape of the tent, I have 2 "2 person" tents one is a MEC (canadian REI) brand it is more like a 1.5 person tent. I also have a MSR hubba hubba and it is a perfect 2 person tent in my mind. I think a lot of it comes down to the shape of the tent.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

jamal posted:

Once you have them be sure to wear them, too. I learned the hard way that if you need to ask yourself whether the minute it will take to put traction on is worth it, you should put them on. I slipped back in May on some hardpack because I didn't think it was worth putting my microspikes on, and my rotator cuff is just getting back to normal now.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Somehow I managed to scrape up the back of my hand and that is the worst of it. It was really cold and snowed last week, was warm at the beginning of this week so stuff started to melt, and then it got cold again today so everything froze over.

Dread Head posted:

Depends on the shape of the tent, I have 2 "2 person" tents one is a MEC (canadian REI) brand it is more like a 1.5 person tent. I also have a MSR hubba hubba and it is a perfect 2 person tent in my mind. I think a lot of it comes down to the shape of the tent.

Yeah some tents being more like "1.5 people" was what I was thinking and I want to err on the large side. I poked around online and backcountry and rei have like six zillion tents that are all pretty much the same thing, so I should probably just go look around in some stores tomorrow.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I think the tents like the REI half dome are a decent size 2 person, or at least used to be. It's still not going to exactly be spacious but it shouldn't be like it is cramming into my Fly Creek UL2

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd go with the passage 2. Not much more expensive than the half dome, but has vestibules for gear so you can use the entire interior for people.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

mastershakeman posted:

I'd go with the passage 2. Not much more expensive than the half dome, but has vestibules for gear so you can use the entire interior for people.

Agreed. Go for the passage 2 or the half dome 2 versus the camp dome for the sake of the rainfly alone. It goes all the way to the ground on the p2 and gives each side of the tent a protected area to store your gear/shoes without taking up room inside the tent.

As far as how many people you can fit, I find it to be very roomy with just myself and all of my gear inside the tent. On my last trip, I shared the tent with one other person who was 6'3" and we fit perfectly fine next to one another. We kept or packs in the vestibules and a dry bag of clothes inside. It was cozy but by no means were we uncomfortable.

At one point it was raining/sleeting pretty hard and the third guy was bored and cold in his tent so we all huddled into mine and were all able to sit up bullshit for a while.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

My mother-in-law has planned a visit to Yosemite for a couple of days after Christmas. I'm looking for some recommendations for day hikes. I'm pretty sure my in-laws will be hiking as well. They're in their early 60s, but are fairly active: recreational biking, camping (shortish hikes in to campsite), snowshoeing, easy hikes in the area. We'll have snowshoes and micro spikes for traction.

Does anyone have a recommendation for and easy/moderate hike if the in-laws come (~5 miles), or a more strenuous hike for my wife and I if the in laws sit out (up tp 10 miles)?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Mirror Lake is a nice gentle hike with good views.

For something more strenuous, try hiking to Upper Yosemite Falls or to Nevada Falls. Both are great hikes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Thanks, went with passage 2. Half dome 2 plus looked nice but was quite a bit more.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Whoops wrong thread. Oh well have a cat

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Walt is always welcome. :neckbeard:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

jamal posted:

Thanks, went with passage 2. Half dome 2 plus looked nice but was quite a bit more.

Nice, I would recommend the footprint as well, it keeps your tent protected a little better from getting ripped, wet etc. I keep it rolled up and readily accessible on the outside of my pack that way if it starts raining, we have a decent size tarp to chill under if it gets too bad. Also for setting up tents in the rain with multiple people, have two or three people hold the rainfly or footprint over the area the tent is going up to keep it mostly dry while one person sets it up. I'm not a fan of getting out of the rain and into a wet tent.

Can you tell that we encountered rain on our last trip?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I did get the footprint. My dad has lived here in Montana for a long time now and has not done nearly as much backpacking and hiking as he should have. Hopefully this will encourage him to get out more with his friends. If not I can always borrow the tent.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 21, 2013

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces

Completely separate thing, but has anyone dealt with Mont Bell for warranty work? I sent off a down puffy almost a month ago and have not got any word back on the repair. I tried to email them using their website but no reply.

Merino is quite delicate if it's 100% - I've been gobbling up 60/40 merino synthetic blends since the blends tend to hold up better to rugged use, especially in socks. SmartWool's quality has really gone to poo poo since they got bought out by Vanity Fair. I still justify buying their stuff since I live super close to their HQ and restock on socks once a year at their sample sale in Boulder. $5 for any socks they make kinda sells me on them, even if I do only get maybe 6 months out of a pair now.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

65° and snow on the ground? Sure, why not! Yearly occurrence in Colorado, special opportunity here in the coastal northeast. A quick jaunt through Devil's Den, CT this morning:

Sadly, something I'm doing in the gym has not been kind to my knees. I've had bad knees for almost eleven years now, and this hike caused the worst pain I've gotten from them in a long long time. Elliptical machines and recumbent bikes shouldn't make my knees hurt on the trail... right?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Time Cowboy posted:

Sadly, something I'm doing in the gym has not been kind to my knees. I've had bad knees for almost eleven years now, and this hike caused the worst pain I've gotten from them in a long long time. Elliptical machines and recumbent bikes shouldn't make my knees hurt on the trail... right?

How is your arch support? Without proper inserts the cartilage under my patella gets irritated and hurts like hell during extended treks. The recumbent bike does irritate it unless I'm really careful about how I'm holding my legs to make sure the patella keeps tracking properly.

Transaction
May 14, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm heading off to Northern Africa shortly to go trekking in the desert.

I got lucky at a local clearance outlet and found two pairs of Timberland LiteTrace boots in my size. This is a discontinued model, but it's hard to complain about the price - only $64 per pair. :dance:

They're stupidly light and it should be interesting to see how they hold up in the desert.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Tagra posted:

How is your arch support? Without proper inserts the cartilage under my patella gets irritated and hurts like hell during extended treks. The recumbent bike does irritate it unless I'm really careful about how I'm holding my legs to make sure the patella keeps tracking properly.

As far as I know my arches are fine. I'm thinking I hosed up by trying the thigh press machine a couple times last week. My left knee was giving me warning pains when I tried it, and that's the knee that was giving me trouble today.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

EPICAC posted:

My mother-in-law has planned a visit to Yosemite for a couple of days after Christmas. I'm looking for some recommendations for day hikes. I'm pretty sure my in-laws will be hiking as well. They're in their early 60s, but are fairly active: recreational biking, camping (shortish hikes in to campsite), snowshoeing, easy hikes in the area. We'll have snowshoes and micro spikes for traction.

Does anyone have a recommendation for and easy/moderate hike if the in-laws come (~5 miles), or a more strenuous hike for my wife and I if the in laws sit out (up tp 10 miles)?

Tunnel view parking lot up to inspiration point (or beyond) is a fun hike and only an hour or two. It's moderate.

http://www.yosemitehikes.com/yosemite-valley/inspiration-point/inspiration-point.htm

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 24, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does Nike make any minimalist shoes?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can custom roshes to be pretty lowkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does Nike make any minimalist shoes?

Yeah, check out the Nike Free line.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pw/mens-barefoot-running-shoes/7puZbhyZbrkZ8yz