Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Man, I don't need all this destiny nonsense I just wanna focus on collecting these foreskins in the coming year and getting my marriage on. I'm gonna go shoot some archerys now, later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Should we ask her why we can't make poo?

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
"You would leave if I did not renounce all I have been taught, after five minutes of conversation? Is there no way you might stay, and allow me to consider your words?"

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
1. E. Ask her poop questions.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Neraren posted:

"You would leave if I did not renounce all I have been taught, after five minutes of conversation? Is there no way you might stay, and allow me to consider your words?"

Took the words out of my mouth. Ask this x 1000.

Edit: Also, for good measure, "Who ARE you?"

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

This got omnious fast, I cant quite decide wether she is possibly an angel, or if she's a demon and a lot of the failed adventurers are merely sacrifices to fuel her powers..

edit:
We should go outside and run head first into a wall, if we get another concussion perhaps we'll be lucky and get another conversation going with Azzazzel\Uncle Jorah and if we can keep them from fighting for a minute get a proper reply to wether or not this is just a trap or the truth™

Daned fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 19, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Wait, if we don't agree right loving now, she goes away?

Sounds like it.

Now Selling Bareen's Magical Elixir Religion!

All Your Deepest Desires are at Your Fingertips!

Fame! Fortune! Truth! And Much Much More!

And All at No Cost to You!*

But You

Must

BUY NOW!

NOW NOW NOW!

*cost is actually 1 soul, payment due COD

Dammit, why does the one strong female character have to be so greasy? :(

That being said, ask her:

1) What a grigori is
2) Who is Ashera?
3) What Melachim do you claim to communicate with. Are they any you believe I have spoken with?
4) If it wasn't El, who devoured my offerings in flame in the Temple of El?
5) Who are They Who Watch?
6) Who exactly are the Ophanim, and why have they chosen you as their spokesperson?

Ask Snarls if her smell has changed now that she's shifted forms a bit.

Since she apparently actually does know our doings, I'm less concerned about laying our cards on the table as much now.'

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
E Get the gently caress out of the temple and tell Ishmael and Tudiya that she is some demon, El is obviously the mightier of the gods since he have an entire civilization following him while the Melachim sucks.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Question for Bareen:

"On my trial, I made a sacrifice of a jackal to El; the flames that consumed this sacrifice were brighter and higher than I've seen in any temple. How can a lie consume a side of meat?"

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1C.

I was going to propose a write-in vote where we do the 'build two alters and see which one of us actually has his sacrifice accepted' thing, but apparently this is not necessary seeing how she'll leave all on her own if we just ignore her long enough.

Question:

"Those who make personal sacrifices to El will have their offerings accepted by means of a large, apparently spontaneously generated, pillar of flame. I saw you control the flames at your temple's altar. Have your 'gods' ever accepted offerings that you didn't have to immolate yourself first?"

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Having power is one thing. How we use it another. If I were to follow your path to great power, what would you have me do with it?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

jng2058 posted:

Having power is one thing. How we use it another. If I were to follow your path to great power, what would you have me do with it?

Great responsibility, obviously.

Wait... great power, great responsibility? El as a super being?

Is this game a metaphor for DC/Marvel tensions over hypermasculinity in art in the 90s (LIEFIELD!)

(I'll show myself out now)

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
If she leaves, she will take her followers with her. We should convert these people back to El before she leaves. I hope it takes her some time to pack.

Also, I don't think questioning Bareen will do much to help us convert people. She will weasel her way out and her responses will only provide her followers with excuses.

I am still in favor of talking to Ishamal about methods of saving this people. I like the sacrifice challenge idea. How else could we show them Bareen is wrong?

QUESTION FOR OUR MEMORY: Have we ever seen Bareen in moonlight? Has anyone seen her in moonlight? I ask because moonlight has revealed the true appearance of things under illusion--our sandals and the snake women.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 19, 2013

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
1. B

Also:
Reminder, guys: We've sworn to not attempt to use magic for some years more so that we'll be ready, and can reasonably expect Ishamal to teach us at least teach us something come that time. Perhaps Tudiya, too, faced with our obvious Might.

Such rash action is unnecessary. As you promise not to share what you claim are my secrets, I shall not speak of what I see as yours. But if it is so important to you that I learn, then you must teach me without demanding we turn our back on all the good Tudiya has done for us. Otherwise we are forced to conclude that you have ulterior motives.

How can you claim that El isn't real when sacrifices to El burn?

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

I really don't like this hard-sell. So, my question would be:

Why should the powers concern themselves with hastily given oaths? If their goals are good we can serve without an oath. If their ends are not good, they are not worth serving.

I'm generally anti-one-god. I think the El religion is obviously wrong/incomplete.

At the same time, the oaths/sacrifices aren't that unreasonable. There are clear reasons for the big rules. And the offerings amount to 'do stuff to help others', not 'burn cow: El hungers' or 'praise El, for he is insecure.'

My second question would be:

If the Melachim wanted us to have powers, why wouldn't they simply teach us themselves?

This seems like a non-trivial point to me. If it there were a healthy/not-stupid way for us to use our powers, why would the voices in our head have demanded a 10-year delay instead of simply going, "the way to not set yourself on fire is ____".

That makes me think Bareen can't be representing a unified group of powers.

----
I'm sure this would take a vote, but I think there's a nice win-win solution here. Bareen says she'll leave if we say no. That's actually great.

Everyone in the city says that we went into the heretic temple. We said stuff (privately) to its priestess. The next day, they pull stakes and leave. The El-believers will be overjoyed.

Then, if she's out of the city, we can talk to her more easily. We can also get time to talk to Azzazel, Ishmael and others.

If she has some specific project that she thinks is overtly noble, we can negotiate on that. No loyalty oaths needed.

Otherwise, she's just demanding a loyalty oath based on nothing other than some stories and "I, like so many other people, can set a dead cow on fire." There's no good reason to demand loyalty based on that, and there's no good reason to expect it.

E: I'll vote C. I like the 'Palpetine' description. I can't take her offer seriously, and can't imagine that any story (no matter how well-told) should make us go, "Why yes! We will pledge eternal loyalty to some entity with an as-of-yet unspecified goal."

falcon2424 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 19, 2013

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

B - For all their secrecy, I believe Tudiya and Ishamal have our best interests at heart. Bareen is giving off some serious Palpatine vibes, and I don't think we need to cross over to the dark side just yet.

Politely refuse.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I don't know whether what she says is true or not, but we still have 9 years left on our promise. She can't teach us unless we go against the wishes of a Melachim. Doesn't make sense.

Apart from that I'd like to ask her what her real name is then.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Absum posted:

I don't know whether what she says is true or not, but we still have 9 years left on our promise. She can't teach us unless we go against the wishes of a Melachim. Doesn't make sense.

Apart from that I'd like to ask her what her real name is then.
Yeah, for all that she seems to know about us it's funny that she either doesn't know or is ignoring that. She knows enough that it's not insane to assume she should know about our oath too, and for all her religious claims she's ignoring our oath to the very Melachim she worships?

Seconding real name question.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

HiHo ChiRho posted:

E. Listen lady, but I have had misinformation fed to me my entire life. You got to understand how I am not fully trusting what you are saying right now about me or this offer that looks too good to be true. I know that something is up in the world, but until I get a clearer picture and answers for myself I won't be taking this plunge yet, if I take it. Now point me to the archery contest, please.

We came here to get a bow, and dammit we are getting it.

Voting this and asking what her real name is.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Even more appropriate.
C

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

How long have you known Ishamal?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
C. gently caress you, Ishmal's a bro. We can probably buy a nicer bow eventually anyway.

Personally, I feel that our lineage and superpowers should be something we find on our own, rather than have handed to us. Especially if it means pissing off our little bro.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
C. I really wanted that bow, but it isn't worth this treatment.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
A. Take the answers and the power!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
There is only one true answer here! Bareen is a demon! A DEMON! She has hidden in a mortal body and now seeks to corrupt and lure men away from the true faith! She's already gotten to Barkoff!

loving dropkick the bitch in the face and run like a monkey with his balls on fire straight to Tudiya and beg that he tear down this blasphemous temple once and for all.

Or alternatively we can give her the big finger and walk off like a goddamn boss.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

quote:

If the Melachim wanted us to have powers, why wouldn't they simply teach us themselves?
"When last they did, they were betrayed and wept bitter tears as they watched their creations slaughter each other.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Wait, if we don't agree right loving now, she goes away?
Interpret what you said as she will.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

1. Lol bitch please, no. I'm just here for the archery contest.

"So I'm loved by the Ophanim huh? So why aren't you loved by them as much, you're their great crusader after all, not me."
The Betrayers died or lay i grief, begging to enter Olam Haba and are denied.

Does dio have me on ignore or something i swear he's ignored 2 of my past posts about asking snarls for info.
No. You asked for Snarls info, you got it. How she smelled. His long name descriptions are of people he knows, describing his opinion by naming them. He does not know Bareen well enough for a name-description. You ask for a new smell check.

As her appearance changes, Snarls wags his tail happily, barks once and goes to Bareena side to rub against her, Bareen leans over to pet him, he leans on his side, she knows the spot on the belly to rub to make the leg kick! Indeed, Snarls leg kicks up a storm as only you know how. "See? He trusts me."

!NICE SMELLER!

quote:

I'd like to ask Bareen , "I have heard of Mereniel previously, but I fear I've let my divine history studies fall to the wayside while out slaying monsters - who is Mereniel, exactly?"
"When the Prophet entered Olam Haba, she taught him all the healing arts. Her heart is tender and she weeps now as she watches the state of her progeny. Labaras begged her return to the world of men with him and so she did, she and many of her brothers and sisters and walked among us and it was an age of wonders. She healed the sick, aided women in childbirth and taught foes to be brothers. Now she watches and weeps."

Task Manager posted:

Took the words out of my mouth. Ask this x 1000.

Edit: Also, for good measure, "Who ARE you?"
"When the Prophet climbed down the mountain, he did not come alone. He persuaded the Grigori to come with him. They walked among us and taught us and it was an age of wonders and all was joyous. I am Bareen, daughter of Yaakov, whose fathers, fathers, father was the Prophet.

When the Prophet left us to rest in Olam Haba, his sons struggled for control of Baithaba, as Baitel was then known. Few remained loyal to their father, or to the Grigori. Men did not love the Prophets sons as they loved him. So his sons raised up a new idol, El, to justify their rule and demanded it be worshiped. The Betrayers fought among themselves and those few sons who remained loyal to the Grigori and the Prophet. An ocean of blood was shed and the Grigori abandoned us in disgust at our crimes betrayals. Baithaba was destroyed in the fighting and the Betrayers prevailed. They left and built new cities far from Mount Har, from the gates atop it, where they feared the Grigori watched. In time Baithaba was rebuilt as Baitel. The Old Tales, the lies they told their own sons. Few loyal to the Grigori and the Prophet survived, myself and a handful of others. In long years, the Betrayers did not die of age and so they climbed the Mountain, hoping their crimes might be forgiven and languishing beyond the gates.

And... and I have waited. Many long years, maintaining the rights and offerings for the Holy Ones and waiting for them to forgive mankind and return. I saw Xuriel's hand in the stars and it lead me here, to wait for you. And... now after my long wait I have been too hasty and nearly drive you off in my eagerness. Forget offerings and oaths. Tudiya will never let me teach you here, he will think I bewitch you and the fool would bathe his city in flames to try to kill me. Come with me. We will leave, I will teach, you will learn and we will go where Xuriel's lights may lead us. You may bring your mother if you wish and your... brother if you truly must, but I think it unwise."

NEW OPTION! OPTION F!
F. Accept Bareens new offer. Leave Zepath with her, swearing no oath and taking those you wish to take with you. Option A is now moot.

quote:

1) What a grigori is
5) Who are They Who Watch?
6) Who exactly are the Ophanim, and why have they chosen you as their spokesperson?
"The Holy Ones. They made the world and all within it. Once they walked among us. For our betrayal they have moved afar and rarely interact with mankind."

quote:

2) Who is Ashera?
"A demon. A powerful one. That much is true. The Old Tales claim the strongest demons dead and their offspring remain. The opposite. The Betrayers fought weak ones and exaggerated their accomplishments. Zepa never fought Asherah but one of his minor offspring, the monument is a lie. The Old Tales claim they slew him, you know he is alive."

quote:

3) What Melachim do you claim to communicate with. Are they any you believe I have spoken with?
"Xuriel whispers to me still and guides me, her hands, movements among the stars, her creations. Her signs guided me here. Much can be read in the might sky, it is one of many arts long lost and which I would teach you."

quote:

4) If it wasn't El, who devoured my offerings in flame in the Temple of El? How can you claim that El isn't real when sacrifices to El burn?
"The priests. The sons of the Betrayers forget the Mysteries. They send their own sons to the Temple of El in Baitel to be tested for their natural aptitude for it. They make the most apt priests and the rest, kings. They use the Mysteries to perform wonders for the masses. Most truly believe it is El's will they do so."

quote:

Those who make personal sacrifices to El will have their offerings accepted by means of a large, apparently spontaneously generated, pillar of flame. I saw you control the flames at your temple's altar. Have your 'gods' ever accepted offerings that you didn't have to immolate yourself first?
"They have and do. Do you imagine those men fools and you saw some secret? I sped things up when you arrived. The Grigori still accept offerings from their worshipers."

quote:

"We will take up the campaign against the Demons again. We will spread the love of the Grigori, till they see mankind is ready again. They stay far, part for our sins and part for fear that we will again slaughter each other. We will seek out my long lost cousins. It will be an age of wonders when the Grigori return."

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 19, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Well now. This new option is... interesting. However, we have an oath with Xuriel. We cannot use magic for 10 years. Her tutelage would surely run afoul of that vow. Decline.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

JT Jag posted:

Well now. This new option is... interesting. However, we have an oath with Xuriel. We cannot use magic for 10 years. Her tutelage would surely run afoul of that vow. Decline.

Xuriel didn't keep up his end of the bargain; he's in breach of contract, and as such we can do whatever the gently caress we want. :colbert:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Very, very interesting. We are going to need much more power to fill the belly of The Hungry One, so here is what I propose:

E Tell Bareen that in leaving here we are leaving behind our betrothed and demand that Bareen swear a sacred oath to marry us and serve our will. This can be after she's shown us how to use our wondrous powers.

With Bareen at our side we'll eventually be able shovel all of humanity into Asherah's drooling maw.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yet the offering in the desert burned pure. I decline your offer Bareen. Now, let's see if I can get my hands on that bow.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

quote:

"The priests. The sons of the Betrayers forget the Mysteries. They send their own sons to the Temple of El in Baitel to be tested for their natural aptitude for it. They make the most apt priests and the rest, kings. They use the Mysteries to perform wonders for the masses. Most truly believe it is El's will they do so."

Okay, but how do my personal sacrifices in the wilds burn? There was no one else around.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Diogines posted:

The Betrayers died or lay i grief, begging to enter Olam Haba and are denied.

Is Ishamal one of these so called Betrayers? Does he know you are who you claim you are?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

JT Jag posted:

Did we ever confirm that Jorah figure is Xuriel? Bareen made no mention of Azz. And it seems like Jorah / Azzazel are... tools. Not Grigori, maybe they were before, but now they're lesser perhaps. Something like Ishamal? Anyway they had to report back for instructions.

"Ask Bareen: Who is my father?

Why do the Grigori have so much interest in me?

What is my purpose?

Why is there a storm coming?

Where are your cousins? Who else is alive that would confirm your story for you? Where are they?

Without resorting to insults and generalizations, who is Ishamal? Where does he come from? What is his story?

What happened to Enkidu?"

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 19, 2013

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Did we ever confirm that Jorah figure is Xuriel? Bareen made no mention of Azz. And it seems like Jorah / Azzazel are... tools. Not Grigori, maybe they were before, but now they're lesser perhaps. Something like Ishamal? Anyway they had to report back for instructions.

We know for a fact that Jorah reports to something greater, whether it is El or some council of other Melachim. He had to get approval from the realm of light and goodness and yadda yadda before he was willing to give us answers, which he never ended up giving.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Diogines posted:

"They have and do. Do you imagine those men fools and you saw some secret? I sped things up when you arrived. The Grigori still accept offerings from their worshipers."

Sped up a sacrifice? What kind of lame reasoning is that? And she admitted that she controlled the flame. Also, it has been mentioned before that Bareen's adventurers always bring back the entire corpse of monsters to the temple. If they tried to burn sacrifices outside Bareen's presence, then the sacrifices would probably not burn--or just burn like normal non-sacrificial stuff. Some of what she says is probably true, but the best lies are mixed with truth.

Decline her new offer. Ask poop related questions.

QUESTION: Are there any bones or anything left from the sacrifice? When people sacrifice to El, are there any bones left over?

edit: Post I was talking about. Bolding mine.

Diogines posted:

You also know that Bareen's followers, while killing far fewer monsters than the Mighty Men, bring back everything they kill and use all of it, something Barkof is in favor of doing and which Tudiya does not allow him to do. You know that Tudiya does not allow flashy showings of Mighty power in the city among the Mighty Men, Bareen performs miracle healings on her flock, mostly adventurers, but some of the poor and slaves, for which they love her.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 19, 2013

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
A thought occurs.

"Did you decide to hold an archery tournament just to get me here?"

(Of course she did. Whether she admits it or not could be telling.)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

B. I will have to think on this. I'm not ready to spit in the face of those who have always been kind to me just for personal satisfaction.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Neraren posted:

A thought occurs.

"Did you decide to hold an archery tournament just to get me here?"

(Of course she did. Whether she admits it or not could be telling.)
Hahaha.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

You know, I AM curious about the whole "We swore off magic." Deal.

Ask her about that. : "We made an agreement with someone who we believe to be Xuriel, that we would not attempt magic for several years. What good would we be able to do in that time?"

Also ask:

"What makes you think our mother would come with us? Near as I can tell, she thinks El and Tudiya are the best things since Not Being Beaten Half-to-Death on a Daily Basis. Or do you propose we guilt her into coming with us?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

When I read this, it makes me think Bareen is just another women who is after Enkidel's dark, tall, sexy body.