Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Alchenar posted:

Given the penultimate panel, I'm hoping I'm not alone in thinking that V's saying 'superior intelligence' as a double entendre when previously he/she would just have been boasting.
I doubt it will be explicitly pointed out as such, but that's what I'm thinking it is, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

mutantmell posted:

It's certainly an improvement even from an earlier point in this arc, where she was fighting Nale's team:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0799.html

And even that last fight was a huge step up pre-splice

EDIT: Oh hey, beaten to the punch :v:

Does the coloring in the archives look off to anyone else, or is my phone just dying?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Looks like V made the right call back when they were being chased. Apparently all those wormholes burned up a significant portion of Laurin's PP for the day.

Also, Blackwing was fantastic in this one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

That Ioun stone Blackwing swiped was the "bonus caster level" one right? I bet V's gonna get some mileage out of that.

And its a sublime payoff for the OO SHINY obsession Blackwing has always had.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Leper Colon V posted:

I doubt it will be explicitly pointed out as such, but that's what I'm thinking it is, too.

TBH I don't think it could get much more explicit

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Pope Guilty posted:

"I have in excess of twenty-five spells remaining. Not counting cantrips."
"..."
*pop!*

I laughed a lot at that one. That was fantastic.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
OOTS: first party to be completely upstaged by a familiar. Roy's Dad is gonna have a field day.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FMguru posted:

I like how the Mechane has very strict standing orders about dramatic integrity, which the leading officer on deck enforces at all times.

I think the reason V led with so many dispellable non-blaster (force cage, resilient sphere, dimensional anchor, etc.) spells is that s/he was almost out of blaster spells. That "25 spell slots" might have been a decent-sized bluff.

And Tarquin isn't the only guy hanging over the edge, there's also Julio (who is just waiting for the dramatically perfect moment to appear).

If you look at the number of spells V casted today its likely she indeed had 25.

e: I'm actually confused, V opened up with cone of cold, when I thought the plan was to delay Laurin, casting Cone of Cold allowed Laurin at least one round to get a possibly Save or Lose/Suck spell off?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 20, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Raenir Salazar posted:

If you look at the number of spells V casted today its likely she indeed had 25.

e: I'm actually confused, V opened up with cone of cold, when I thought the plan was to delay Laurin, casting Cone of Cold allowed Laurin at least one round to get a possibly Save or Lose/Suck spell off?

I don't know, you tell us.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

NihilCredo posted:

...THE STRIP IS IN .PNG :monocle:
Well, that's one good thing coming out of Rich's computer breaking down.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Wonderful return to form, OOTS :golfclap:

How do you guys know what the little stone V's familiar grabbed does? Does D&D seriously color code power stones? I thought you could enchant pretty much anything and call it a day.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wolfsheim posted:

Wonderful return to form, OOTS :golfclap:

How do you guys know what the little stone V's familiar grabbed does? Does D&D seriously color code power stones? I thought you could enchant pretty much anything and call it a day.

IOUN stones go back to Jack Vance and 1st edition: each colour does something different. The orange one is +1 caster level. So it will make V's spells more powerful, but doesn't have any specific narrative function.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really like that the light even goes out from Laurin's eyes when she realizes how hosed this fight is.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So psipo... psyor... whatever the gently caress Laurin is, their magic works off of a video game-esque MP pool, right? Opposed to V having for instance, 30 Fireball spells, 50 Magic Missiles, 25 Crushing Hands and so on, right?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

sebmojo posted:

IOUN stones go back to Jack Vance and 1st edition: each colour does something different. The orange one is +1 caster level. So it will make V's spells more powerful, but doesn't have any specific narrative function.
Does +1 caster level mean a wizard could be casting a whole new level of spells, or is it just that a spell that would have lasted for fifteen minutes now goes for sixteen instead (which from a narrative persective doesn't mean much)?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Calaveron posted:

So psipo... psyor... whatever the gently caress Laurin is, their magic works off of a video game-esque MP pool, right? Opposed to V having for instance, 30 Fireball spells, 50 Magic Missiles, 25 Crushing Hands and so on, right?
Correct. Psionics use a pool of points like a Final Fantasy mage uses MP, and can power up their "spells" by putting more points in. It means they can "go nova" much more effectively, since they can fire off everything in a very short amount of time, but it also means they seriously lack for endurance.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Does +1 caster level mean a wizard could be casting a whole new level of spells, or is it just that a spell that would have lasted for fifteen minutes now goes for sixteen instead (which from a narrative persective doesn't mean much)?
The latter, and more importantly, the damage and difficulty to resist the spells goes up. So, V doesn't get more spells, but they're all roughly 5-10% stronger.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Trapezium Dave posted:

The latter. As far as I'm aware you only get the new tier of spells if you actually gain a level. +1 Caster Level just means spell effects that scale by level are at your level plus one.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Just the "caster level" bonus so no extra spells, but its a solid practically free +1 bonus to most of your abilities, so an upgrade's an upgrade I guess. Assuming that's what it is.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Trapezium Dave posted:

Nah, it just affects the power of those spells. So presuming that V's level 15, her spells will hit as if she was a 16th level caster for purposes of damage and overcoming Spell Resistance but she won't get more spells per day or access to higher level spells.

EDIT: Double ninja'd! :argh:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Total mental meltdown from Tarquin any time now. He's down to, what, a knife? No caster, no friends, no family, no army, no contingencies (because he only ever plans ahead for success, it never really dawns on him that everything he does in a day could end in failure) and the narrative is simply refusing to bend to his will.

Defeat, much less because it's his own fault, is pretty much alien to his mind. He's been in tight situations he could turn around but right now he's totally screwed.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 20, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Speedball posted:

Total mental meltdown from Tarquin any time now. He's down to, what, a knife? No caster, no friends, no family, no army, no contingencies (because he only ever plans ahead for success, it never really dawns on him that everything he does in a day could end in failure) and the narrative is simply refusing to bend to his will.

Defeat, much less because it's his own fault, is pretty much alien to his mind. He's been in tight situations he could turn around but right now he's totally screwed.

No he lost the knife too :v:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Hmm, if Tarquin bites it here, Laurin won't get her favor. But I think we're deep into "screw you TV Tropes, watch me do whatever" territory so making that into a red herring is a possibility.

Unless the favor ends up being something like "I wanted to borrow his stereo, but since he's dead I'm sure he won't mind."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Speedball posted:

He could easily have a magic item that would take him home safe, but I get the feeling even if he did he's not in a mental position to use it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
He's going to asspull something to keep himself in the fight at least until Roy gets back so as to twist the "Elan is a supporting character" knife of his defeat.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SirDan3k posted:

He's going to asspull something to keep himself in the fight at least until Roy gets back so as to twist the "Elan is a supporting character" knife of his defeat.

I'd love to see another "Disintegrate. Gust of Wind." Tarquin's deeply confused if he thinks that as a Fighter he's the main guy in this.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

It would probably take two or three Disintegrates though. Tarqin's gonna have decent saves and a boatload of hit points. He's barely taken any damage so far, just a slash from Julio I think.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pope Guilty posted:

I'd love to see another "Disintegrate. Gust of Wind." Tarquin's deeply confused if he thinks that as a Fighter he's the main guy in this.

Counterpoint: Roy. Also, was it stated that Tarquin's a Fighter? I wouldn't be surprised if he was a Warblade or had some prestige class or something.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

jng2058 posted:

It would probably take two or three Disintegrates though. Tarqin's gonna have decent saves and a boatload of hit points. He's barely taken any damage so far, just a slash from Julio I think.

And a sneak attack, but otherwise you're right.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It wouldn't surprise me if T was kind of crummy in a straight-up fight. A lot of his advantages come from planning ahead, consciously working tropes, having a well-stocked bag of tricks, and using a bunch of obscure prestige class abilities. Roy is all about cutting suckers in half with his greatsword. Now that T has had most of his advantages stripped away, I think he's in a tough place.

I wonder what Elan is going to do when his dad is at 4 hp and Ray is about to great cleave him, and he cries out to him for help.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Assuming none of the rest of Tarquin's group bites it in the immediate future (and there's no guarantee of that) how long do you think they'll be able to hold onto their respective puppet empires without his master scheming powers and Malack backing him? I don't know if they'll turn on each other immediately; anything could happen with the balance disrupted. Like, if nobody is actually managing the Empress of Blood, what'll happen? She's only interested in feeling her rear end grow these days.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

sebmojo posted:

He could easily have a magic item that would take him home safe, but I get the feeling even if he did he's not in a mental position to use it.
He doesn't need a magic item. He doesn't need anything. He can seriously say to Elan "Let me live" and his son will do it, no matter what.

If Tarquin dies here, it's entirely because he wants to die here. I think there's a fair bit of tension in whether or not Rich will write Tarquin snapping out of his rage or forcing himself onto the blade with a smile.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

He doesn't need a magic item. He doesn't need anything. He can seriously say to Elan "Let me live" and his son will do it, no matter what.

If Tarquin dies here, it's entirely because he wants to die here. I think there's a fair bit of tension in whether or not Rich will write Tarquin snapping out of his rage or forcing himself onto the blade with a smile.
Because everyone always acts perfectly logically all the time, and the last several strips have most certainly not been showing him getting more and more unhinged and uncontrolled. :jerkbag:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Presumably, they'll (try to) do the same to her as they've done with every other "ruler" that started getting too comfortable in their thrones, then either try shadow-ruling two suddenly expanded empires, or just flat-out break up without Tarquin's leadership to do their own thing.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Leper Colon V posted:

Because everyone always acts perfectly logically all the time, and the last several strips have most certainly not been showing him getting more and more unhinged and uncontrolled. :jerkbag:
Are you trying to be ironic or did you genuinely miss "snapping out of his rage" in your eagerness to post something addressed by Rich and quoted earlier in the thread?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

Assuming none of the rest of Tarquin's group bites it in the immediate future (and there's no guarantee of that) how long do you think they'll be able to hold onto their respective puppet empires without his master scheming powers and Malack backing him? I don't know if they'll turn on each other immediately; anything could happen with the balance disrupted. Like, if nobody is actually managing the Empress of Blood, what'll happen? She's only interested in feeling her rear end grow these days.
They've been doing it for a while now, they probably picked up enough to get how it works and there's no reason to stop when two groups of evil schemers can split a continent just as well as three can. First order of business would have to be picking the Empire of Blood apart, which should be easy without its master general and high priest.

Maybe slightly less well, you can't do the 1984-style "we've always been at war with the Empire of Blood" thing with only two sides, but still, once they lock themselves in a situation where they carefully manage their territory gains/losses from each other, they're good. And then there's also no reason why they couldn't initiate another two adventurers. Heck, throw two stones in the arena dungeon.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Strictly speaking they don't even need to do any of that, just switch to one group of two and two individuals.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Spiderdrake posted:

Surrendering to Elan isn't always the best move to make. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0595.html

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I also don't see them falling in each other's backs just because Tarquin isn't around anymore. That's one thing I really like about them, a group of villains that actually liked each other.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

My Lovely Horse posted:

They've been doing it for a while now, they probably picked up enough to get how it works and there's no reason to stop when two groups of evil schemers can split a continent just as well as three can. First order of business would have to be picking the Empire of Blood apart, which should be easy without its master general and high priest.

Maybe slightly less well, you can't do the 1984-style "we've always been at war with the Empire of Blood" thing with only two sides, but still, once they lock themselves in a situation where they carefully manage their territory gains/losses from each other, they're good. And then there's also no reason why they couldn't initiate another two adventurers. Heck, throw two stones in the arena dungeon.

Tarquin has literally the easiest conquest of any of his friends. The Empress could be fooled by a small puddle of raspberry syrup (which would probably make a better Empress of Blood, too). Literally all you have to do to stage a coup is wait until Tarquin's gone, then waltz into her throne room and tell her he sent you to do his job in his place for the foreseeable future. If you're really cunning, you might even throw in a clause about how if he ever comes back and says different, it's a test, and if you let him take his job back, you failed.

So really, the most likely aftermath of Tarquin's death is Laurin and Myron prancing into the Throne Room of Blood and telling the Empress that Tarquin thought this whole empire thing he'd been enjoying for the last couple decades was SO BORING he dropped dead, and that his last wish was for his second- and third-best friends, the Empire of the Weeping King and the Empire of the King Whose Distinguishing Feature I Don't Remember, should divvy up the Empire of Blood and take good care of his first-best friend the Empress of Blood until she's the biggest and most powerful dragon in the world and can have all the fun destroying selected targets of whoever called dibs on the half of the Empire with the throne room in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Dr. Buttass posted:

Tarquin has literally the easiest conquest of any of his friends. The Empress could be fooled by a small puddle of raspberry syrup (which would probably make a better Empress of Blood, too). Literally all you have to do to stage a coup is wait until Tarquin's gone, then waltz into her throne room and tell her he sent you to do his job in his place for the foreseeable future. If you're really cunning, you might even throw in a clause about how if he ever comes back and says different, it's a test, and if you let him take his job back, you failed.

So really, the most likely aftermath of Tarquin's death is Laurin and Myron prancing into the Throne Room of Blood and telling the Empress that Tarquin thought this whole empire thing he'd been enjoying for the last couple decades was SO BORING he dropped dead, and that his last wish was for his second- and third-best friends, the Empire of the Weeping King and the Empire of the King Whose Distinguishing Feature I Don't Remember, should divvy up the Empire of Blood and take good care of his first-best friend the Empress of Blood until she's the biggest and most powerful dragon in the world and can have all the fun destroying selected targets of whoever called dibs on the half of the Empire with the throne room in it.

It would be better to tell the Empress that the Empires of Tears and Sweat have been secretly conquered by the Empire of Blood and that's why there's all these Tears and Sweat soldiers around- they just don't have their new armor yet.