Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nevvy Z posted:

Is there a reliable way to deal with the crazy ninja teleporting things?

You can charge up the WW-Stab and hold it until they teleport right in front of you, then one-shot them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A large new update just came out adding a survival mode! It's available under New Game and currently has three new maps specific to it as well as leaderboards (Steam version only).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MUEzYAkWsw

There's also some bugfixes, new localizations, and half of another goofy crossover - a free katana skin of the Excalibat from Rise of the Triad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh and Shadow Warrior is ten bucks for the next 23 hours, 24 minues, and 15 seconds, down from 40.

Buy this game, it's loving awesome.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Man, I found some of the more intense scenes in Shadow Warrior stressful. I don't know if I could handle Survival Mode.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The Kins posted:

A large new update just came out adding a survival mode! It's available under New Game and currently has three new maps specific to it as well as leaderboards (Steam version only).

There's also some bugfixes, new localizations, and half of another goofy crossover - a free katana skin of the Excalibat from Rise of the Triad.

Oh gently caress yes one of this year's best games just got better.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
And harder. Goddamn the Arena Mode is tough. You really don't appreciate the incredibly well tuned difficulty/upgrade progression of the campaign until it's (intentionally) gone. No Upgrades fighting mid-game enemies is a bitch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DatonKallandor posted:

And harder. Goddamn the Arena Mode is tough. You really don't appreciate the incredibly well tuned difficulty/upgrade progression of the campaign until it's (intentionally) gone. No Upgrades fighting mid-game enemies is a bitch.

The game never tells you it does this, but you gain karma and ki crystals every time you beat a wave, and any money you get from killing enemies contributes to upgrades if you want them. Just hit U and distribute it like in single player.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Oh I know. But they throw the green suiciders and huge waves of Warlords+Minions (including Trolls) at you in very early waves, long before you've got the upgrades or weapons you had in the campaign. They really wanted the Arena to be a challenge I guess.

I am curios if the 3rd Sword upgrade unlocks in higher waves or if it's just deemed too overpowered for Arena.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

CJacobs posted:

The game never tells you it does this, but you gain karma and ki crystals every time you beat a wave, and any money you get from killing enemies contributes to upgrades if you want them. Just hit U and distribute it like in single player.

It displays your gains after every wave on the right-side of the screen, just like it would if you were acquiring them in a campaign.

Definitely bank money to buy the crossbow charge upgrade the moment it drops. Crossbow for life.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Something to be wary of for people playing on normal and up in survival: This game goes loving BANANAS when you get to wave ten and above.

On this wave I got two big crystal guys, two of those big taurus dudes, about fifty bajillion shield mages, and two necromancers.

I made it about thirty seconds into wave ten before being piledrived by three crystal dudes. This is fun as poo poo, man.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It's worse than you thought - that wave has more than 2 Crystal Chargers. It's 3 (or 4? hard to count) Chargers, 2 Warlords, 2 Necros and the usual army of Trolls and basic demons. They're basically saying "Here's your Rocket Launcher - no more holding back".

burgergod
Dec 17, 2013
Bought it during steam sales. Good old school feel, awesome!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The Green Suiciders don't damage you if you kill them. The death explosion, which looks identical to the "we blew up on our own" explosion, is no explosion at all. It's purely visual. So it's actually safest to WW-Stab them. That would have been nice to be made clear by Hoji or someone.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 21, 2013

Mushball
May 23, 2012
A shot from the revolver will take a green guy out with one shot and you can always use the fanning alt shot or the uzi when mobs of the green guys show up. A fully upgraded revolver is actually pretty good against other enemies as well; it might not be as strong as a charged up crossbow but it's somewhat close in terms of damage and shoots much faster to boot.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm enjoying this game thanks to the Steam Sale, but drat is the beginning rough. Guns are piss-weak until the crossbow, and if you're crazy like me, Insane can make melee-ing with the katana pretty tricky until you get Circle of Iron.

Not liking how some areas are chock-full of explosive poo poo though. The Fire Resistance perk is paying dividends, but goddamn, if melee's the way then why make every first foray into some areas practically ground zero for an artillery strike?

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm enjoying this game thanks to the Steam Sale, but drat is the beginning rough. Guns are piss-weak until the crossbow, and if you're crazy like me, Insane can make melee-ing with the katana pretty tricky until you get Circle of Iron.

Not liking how some areas are chock-full of explosive poo poo though. The Fire Resistance perk is paying dividends, but goddamn, if melee's the way then why make every first foray into some areas practically ground zero for an artillery strike?

Dash-stabbing with the Divider of Heavens will get you in and out pretty fast and take down quite a bit. Just get the Aswang hunger or whatever the ki life steal skill is. Or just stun most of the starter stuff with the shurikens.

Any word on whether they got enough money for the Blood IP? I need some next gen spray can and lighter fun.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Nebiros posted:

Any word on whether they got enough money for the Blood IP? I need some next gen spray can and lighter fun.

They didn't get it. They looked into it, but it was outrageously expensive.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Basically, gently caress Atari forever.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Goddamn that is disappointing. :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Guys didn't you hear Atari is coming back again. No for real they mean it this time they swear.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
This game is amazing. It got completely ignored by almost everyone and it does melee combat control in a more sensible way then Chivalry or any FPS game ever

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is Rich Man worth investing points into? Apparently the later guns are much more useful, but at the moment I have more than enough for the Crossbow's charge upgrade, which sounds like the only thing worth buying.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Is Rich Man worth investing points into? Apparently the later guns are much more useful, but at the moment I have more than enough for the Crossbow's charge upgrade, which sounds like the only thing worth buying.
Only near the beginning - later money pickups give such a tiny amount that it doesn't make much difference at the end. You'll get the most benefit picking it up ASAP.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jblade posted:

Only near the beginning - later money pickups give such a tiny amount that it doesn't make much difference at the end. You'll get the most benefit picking it up ASAP.

Apart from the crossbow, it sounds like the usual shotgun & rocket launcher pair benefit the most from upgrades in Insane. Aswang's Hunger is already pretty good at keeping me alive so I suppose I can spend some points on Rich Man. Thanks for your advice!

EDIT: Holy poo poo, what is up with the first boss fight? Can't use your new-fangled sword, and the hitboxes on those crystals (especially the leg ones) are fuuuuucked! Feels like DX:HR all over again.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 1, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

First bossfight is really hard, and basically a training for using dodge moves. If you're not chain-dodging at the right times you're in trouble, and even then it's hard. Protection Spell is incredibly useful if you picked it up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CJacobs posted:

Oh and Shadow Warrior is ten bucks for the next 23 hours, 24 minues, and 15 seconds, down from 40.

Buy this game, it's loving awesome.

How is it runtime wise? Also multiplayer?

I played the shareware original so I never quite beat it but I got a kick out of the first couple levels anyway

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

How is it runtime wise? Also multiplayer?

No multiplayer. The game is around 12-16 hours long with a lot of secrets that somewhat encourage replaying.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

First bossfight is really hard, and basically a training for using dodge moves. If you're not chain-dodging at the right times you're in trouble, and even then it's hard. Protection Spell is incredibly useful if you picked it up.

I dunno man, hard isn't the word I would use to describe it. By the time you first die to the steam vents when he jumps, you've probably learned all there is to learn; it's just a grind if the hitboxes on the crystals are messing up.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The bosses all have ridiculous hitboxes and health values (the latter only an issue on Insane difficulty) and your best bet is to have the charged crossbow before you fight the first one.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Who the gently caress decided putting two minotaurs into some cramped loving labyrinth was a good idea. I feel like taking the difficulty down a notch or so because anything bigger than the shield trolls are such a grind, even with an upgraded rocket launcher.

Thank god for the flamethrower being surprisingly effective against bird-demons though.

EDIT: gently caress this poo poo. This is no longer loving fun, might as well kill everything.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 4, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

might as well kill everything.

Isn't that the point of the game? :confused:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

YourAverageJoe posted:

Isn't that the point of the game? :confused:

Haha, yeah. In hindsight, I should've saved Insane for the new game plus, but eh, at least I'm having fun again.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
People should really consider that sometimes, sometimes the hardest difficulty settings are named something like "Insanity" or "Nightmare" for a reason. :v:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nordick posted:

People should really consider that sometimes, sometimes the hardest difficulty settings are named something like "Insanity" or "Nightmare" for a reason. :v:

Games these days...they've made me soft :smith:

Well, I've finished it and it's a drat good game. Story and characters were surprisingly good, and the art design is goddamn gorgeous.

Too bad about the weapon and power balance. The katana is king but only half the guns being usable come late game/high difficulty isn't great for the game. Definitely could use more mobility across the z-axis and different katana attacks; hell, it feels like a decent take on a first-person Devil May Cry game at times, though it really could use a lot more feedback for the score counter after fights.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Some weapons have fringe uses they don't tell you about, as we've discovered in this thread. Thanks to that we know that the flamethrower absolutely murders flying demons at a rate that seems more like a bug than a feature. Just basic primary flamethrower fire takes them down like you hit them with a stream of missiles. I'm sure those hidden perfect uses exist for every weapon or close to every weapon.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Some weapons have fringe uses they don't tell you about, as we've discovered in this thread. Thanks to that we know that the flamethrower absolutely murders flying demons at a rate that seems more like a bug than a feature. Just basic primary flamethrower fire takes them down like you hit them with a stream of missiles. I'm sure those hidden perfect uses exist for every weapon or close to every weapon.

Yeah, I remembered that bit about the flamethrower. Very strange, though I think that they may have a much higher chance to panic when lit on fire that leads them to straight-up die instead of flailing around like ground enemies do.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, I remembered that bit about the flamethrower. Very strange, though I think that they may have a much higher chance to panic when lit on fire that leads them to straight-up die instead of flailing around like ground enemies do.

Actually I think it's because their wings have such low HP and probably take extra damage from the Flamethrower or something. I didn't think about it until now, but while plinking shots at them with the Revolver, occasionally I'd one-shot them, but it wouldn't give me a headshot and with a bit of work I realized I was popping the wing off and killing them.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I wish Flying Wild Hog would figure out how to make gunplay consistently good. Most of SW's weapons feel really underpowered and boring to use, especially compared to the katana. It seems to take them forever to kill anything and they aren't not satisfying to use. Even the crossbow is pretty "eh" compared to how fun, effective, and satisfying the katana is, even though the charge ability can do a lot of damage. The only weapons that actually feel powerful are the rocket launcher and fully-upgraded shotgun. The fully-upgraded revolver is really cool and satisfying to use, but it feels like it does poo poo damage against everything except the suicide bombers and the harpy-things.

Hard Reset had a similar problem, where the weapons felt ridiculously weak because it took around 8 shots from anything except the smartgun and rocket launcher to kill the stupid saw robots you encounter at the start. Anything stronger than them took for-loving-ever to kill because of how poo poo your guns were.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

the least weasel posted:

This game runs worse on my computer than loving BF4 on High settings. What's wrong with it?

Same here, at 1440p I can run BF4 at high (well, I could run until it started crashing 24/7), Crysis 3 at high.. but this game is a struggle even at 1080p. I want to enjoy the game, but 1080p on a 1440p screen looks awful and the constant slowdowns are just too much for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

closeted republican posted:

I wish Flying Wild Hog would figure out how to make gunplay consistently good. Most of SW's weapons feel really underpowered and boring to use, especially compared to the katana. It seems to take them forever to kill anything and they aren't not satisfying to use. Even the crossbow is pretty "eh" compared to how fun, effective, and satisfying the katana is, even though the charge ability can do a lot of damage. The only weapons that actually feel powerful are the rocket launcher and fully-upgraded shotgun. The fully-upgraded revolver is really cool and satisfying to use, but it feels like it does poo poo damage against everything except the suicide bombers and the harpy-things.

Hard Reset had a similar problem, where the weapons felt ridiculously weak because it took around 8 shots from anything except the smartgun and rocket launcher to kill the stupid saw robots you encounter at the start. Anything stronger than them took for-loving-ever to kill because of how poo poo your guns were.

One issue I run into with the crossbow is that it sort of bugs out and drops shots (like just won't shoot or will lose its charge for no reason) and it makes it ridiculously annoying to use

Oh and that running kick is completely useless, I don't know if its just me but it has never done anything to any enemy I have tried it on

NoodleBox fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 25, 2014

• Locked thread