Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I thought it was pretty clear that this whole heaven/metatron arc is in part to allow us to see a bunch of fan favourites return without them all returning to life. Kevin will just be running around with Bobby, Jo, Dad Winchester etc to overthrow Metatron from inside heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Shakugan posted:

I thought it was pretty clear that this whole heaven/metatron arc is in part to allow us to see a bunch of fan favourites return without them all returning to life. Kevin will just be running around with Bobby, Jo, Dad Winchester etc to overthrow Metatron from inside heaven.

Daddy Winchester is A) in hell (thanks Dean, geez.) B) not going to return until the last season if I recall from earlier posters much more diligent search through the internet quotes machine.

I'm sure Bobby will be back around but I'm less sure of Jo and her mom. They never seemed to really like having them in the episodes. Or at least they seemed to try really freaking hard to get them out of coming back, even though its what a lot of fans wanted. Not sure if there was some grudge with the actors or if the writers just disliked the relationships with Sam/Dean.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mcswizzle posted:

Daddy Winchester is A) in hell (thanks Dean, geez.) B) not going to return until the last season if I recall from earlier posters much more diligent search through the internet quotes machine.

There's some debate on that, as IIRC the sfx made it look like John's spirit energy was going upwards after his final battle, and Kripke was purposefully vague on it. But the actor, while he's committed to return, said he'd only do so for the final season. So sometime in 2020 or so, at this rate (not that I'm complaining!).

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Astroman posted:

There's some debate on that, as IIRC the sfx made it look like John's spirit energy was going upwards after his final battle, and Kripke was purposefully vague on it. But the actor, while he's committed to return, said he'd only do so for the final season. So sometime in 2020 or so, at this rate (not that I'm complaining!).

Now that you mention it that makes sense, since Azazel was the one who held his contract anyway. Yellow Eyes dies and he gets lifted on high.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just finished up Season 8 on NetFlix. I enjoyed all the expanded characters it introduced. My favorite being the grumpy golem. Have to say though, found it a bit anticlimactic that Dean and Sam abandon closing the gates of hell because Sam can't die. On the flip side, seeing the angels all fall to heaven was chilling. Also, my wife was seething for Naomi's blood by the end.

I just wish I could find somewhere online I could watch the first couple episodes of Season 9 online. CW doesn't have the early episodes sadly.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I always assumed he was in Heaven, for a lot of different reasons. One of them is how one of the demons gives Dean poo poo about only being in Hell for a certain amount of time and turning to torture, while his dad was there way longer and never picked up a knife.

I also just realized that's a nice little moment where it reveals that the plan for the apocalypse got hosed up pretty early. John was supposed to be the one to open the first seal but he was too tough. Sam getting killed wasn't supposed to happen, either, but that's what eventually put them back on track.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Officer Farva posted:

I always assumed he was in Heaven, for a lot of different reasons. One of them is how one of the demons gives Dean poo poo about only being in Hell for a certain amount of time and turning to torture, while his dad was there way longer and never picked up a knife.

I also just realized that's a nice little moment where it reveals that the plan for the apocalypse got hosed up pretty early. John was supposed to be the one to open the first seal but he was too tough. Sam getting killed wasn't supposed to happen, either, but that's what eventually put them back on track.

The way I always took it for anything Season 5 and previous, any death that would have resulted in the Apocolypse not happened would have been reversed by either Heaven or Hell. Sam would always come back, because he was the perfect meat suit. Same thing for Dean in regards to Michael.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Shakugan posted:

I'm not so sure. I think that (a) with all the angels gone, there's nothing to keep demons from keeping spirits from going to heaven, so Kevin went to hell, and (b) Crowley being set free is going to return a few people to help with the angel fights, which he will realize he doesn't really want to have on Earth.

Complete idle speculation and probably wrong, but hey.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Merlinicus posted:

I'm not so sure. I think that (a) with all the angels gone, there's nothing to keep demons from keeping spirits from going to heaven, so Kevin went to hell, and (b) Crowley being set free is going to return a few people to help with the angel fights, which he will realize he doesn't really want to have on Earth.

Complete idle speculation and probably wrong, but hey.

Charlie went to heaven just fine, though she probably didn't have any demons keeping an eye out for her either.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

With all the talk of these character deaths, the biggest lesson in Supernatural is "If you see a Winchester, any Winchester, run."

Side question: Did we ever see those 2 hunters who killed Sam and Dean get payback?

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012
I don't think so, but for some reason I thought I remembered someone being freaked out about them magically being alive again after that...

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

OptimusWang posted:

Charlie went to heaven just fine, though she probably didn't have any demons keeping an eye out for her either.

Charlie isn't dead, unless this is wishful thinking on your part.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

jscolon2.0 posted:

If I'm not mistaken she described a happy memory when she woke up from being dead for 5 minutes on the Oz episode.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Spikeguy posted:

With all the talk of these character deaths, the biggest lesson in Supernatural is "If you see a Winchester, any Winchester, run."

You know how Papa Winchester used to track the YED with omens and weather signs and poo poo? I've been wondering, you think by now you could track Sam and Dean with similar methods? There are probably big empty circles on the map as every supernatural related thing that's not balls-out stupid runs for the hills as soon as the Impala hits their radar. This is why they run into so few hunters. Somewhere there are bearded men sitting in diners, watching pie cases anxiously and muttering "Winchesters..." into pay phones. Fire up the pickups, the whole hunting community just shifted a hundred miles to avoid the blast wave.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

jscolon2.0 posted:

No, but that doesn't change the fact that she died and went to heaven... before coming back thanks to not-zeke :smith:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
At the time I took that as just a Wizard of Oz reference, but you guys are right, she was probably in heaven at the time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

empty sea posted:

You know how Papa Winchester used to track the YED with omens and weather signs and poo poo? I've been wondering, you think by now you could track Sam and Dean with similar methods? There are probably big empty circles on the map as every supernatural related thing that's not balls-out stupid runs for the hills as soon as the Impala hits their radar. This is why they run into so few hunters. Somewhere there are bearded men sitting in diners, watching pie cases anxiously and muttering "Winchesters..." into pay phones. Fire up the pickups, the whole hunting community just shifted a hundred miles to avoid the blast wave.

I thought its due to Garth that makes it so they do not meet up with other hunters.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Spikeguy posted:

I just wish I could find somewhere online I could watch the first couple episodes of Season 9 online. CW doesn't have the early episodes sadly.

If you an Xbox on the cw app, they have a lot of older episodes on there

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks I'll check it out. How do you get the CW app on XBOX and do you need to a Gold member? Alternate question, can you get the CW app on PS3?

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I'm really hoping for a covert op into Heaven to rescue Kevin's soul. Cas kills Sam and Dean with a time limit on how long they can be there before he can't revive them. It would be awesome to see all the old regulars together again.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

cirus posted:

I'm really hoping for a covert op into Heaven to rescue Kevin's soul. Cas kills Sam and Dean with a time limit on how long they can be there before he can't revive them. It would be awesome to see all the old regulars together again.

Well, they've done it for Hell. No reason why there can't be two secret entrances hidden in purgatory, or some other such- it is Supernatural, after all.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cirus posted:

Heaven is a pretty great place for the human souls. Kevin is probably happy. He wasn't happy at all before he died, and if he returned there is a chance he could roll an eternity worse than heaven. There don't really seem to be any upsides for Kevin leaving heaven to bash his head against cryptic tablets again, especially since he would probably be blind.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Angela Christine posted:

Heaven is a pretty great place for the human souls. Kevin is probably happy. He wasn't happy at all before he died, and if he returned there is a chance he could roll an eternity worse than heaven. There don't really seem to be any upsides for Kevin leaving heaven to bash his head against cryptic tablets again, especially since he would probably be blind.

Like Dean and Sam would think that far ahead.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
If Kevin's mom is still alive she probably just got even scarier.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

And if she died she's definitely gotten scarier.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bobkatt013 posted:

Like Dean and Sam would think that far ahead.

Dean has thought that far ahead before, that thought being "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME! gently caress YOUR HAPPY ENDING! ME! ME! ME!"

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Angela Christine posted:

And if she died she's definitely gotten scarier.

Wouldn't it be great if she came back to haunt the boys and they had to put down her angry spirit? Be a great way to make them confront all that bad poo poo they've done.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

SirDan3k posted:

Dean has thought that far ahead before, that thought being "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME! gently caress YOUR HAPPY ENDING! ME! ME! ME!"

I'd really like something to come along and show Dean a whole bunch of scenes of Sam being completely happy and fulfilled in heaven, and demons all gnashing their teeth in hell, and say "Hey, good job. You prevented all these horrible things from happening! Good thing you left hell open and your brother to suffer and get taken over by an angel that God thought went overboard.".

And then have that thing get killed by Gabriel.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

Heaven is a pretty great place for the human souls.

Supernatural heaven sounds terrible. You relieve your best moments over and over again, but the "people" you're with aren't real. Nothing is new, and you're actually completely alone. *shudders.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
So thanks to being bored, a supernatural marathon, my love of Dick and wanting to know what "bibbing" does sense I forgot I went to the wiki. Under leviathans.

Unconfirmed:
Gwyneth Paltrow
Fred Savage

I laughed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shakugan posted:

Supernatural heaven sounds terrible. You relieve your best moments over and over again, but the "people" you're with aren't real. Nothing is new, and you're actually completely alone. *shudders.

Still better than being tortured or made to stand in line forever in hell. Or being chased around by monsters in purgatory. Or becoming an insane ghost on earth.

The fact that it goes on forever is kind of wasted, since most of heaven's inmates don't really seem aware of the passage of time. It's like having really nice dreams, and never waking up. You won't accomplish anything, but you will feel happy. If you are clever and strong willed it is possible to break out of your personal heaven and meet up with your friends for pleasant times together, though then you are opening yourself to boredom.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This might have already been brought up but there really was a period where Castiel was "God" and walked on Earth saving people and smiting people right? I'm trying to think if that got "undone" somehow but I think it happened, which means first it's kind of funny seeing people worship normally like a huge world-altering event hasn't taken place and second that Cas can walk around on Earth at all right now without every human crossing his paths having their eyes bug out. Not a gripe or anything just a funny observation.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 15, 2013

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Fast Luck posted:

This might have already been brought up but there really was a period where Castiel was "God" and walked on Earth saving people and smiting people right? I'm trying to think if that got "undone" somehow but I think it happened, which means first it's kind of funny seeing people worship normally like a huge world-altering event hasn't taken place and second that Cas can walk around on Earth at all right now without every human crossing his paths having their eyes bug out. Not a gripe or anything just a funny observation.

I don't think he was god per-say, just jacked up on Leviathan juice. Death even called him a mutated angel.
Once he got all that black goo out of his system he lost all powers and other nonsense related to it...
Also most of the stuff he was up to was up in heaven and it's not like his public appearances on earth were in front of that many people to begin with. I don't see a reason for anyone to recognize him, if they did it would be a pretty big coincidence.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well I mean there were like stained glass windows featuring his trench-coat-wearing profile on them weren't there? BTW it wasn't Leviathan juice it was all those souls he had before he let them go and the big mouths held on.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

eNeMeE posted:

I'd really like something to come along and show Dean a whole bunch of scenes of Sam being completely happy and fulfilled in heaven, and demons all gnashing their teeth in hell, and say "Hey, good job. You prevented all these horrible things from happening! Good thing you left hell open and your brother to suffer and get taken over by an angel that God thought went overboard.".

And then have that thing get killed by Gabriel.

Nah, the angel in Sam was the guy who hosed up and let the serpent into eden.

I think Malachi was the anarchist guy, which after Lucifer, God probably just put a huge stop to anyone being a dick about how heaven was run.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

Well I mean there were like stained glass windows featuring his trench-coat-wearing profile on them weren't there? BTW it wasn't Leviathan juice it was all those souls he had before he let them go and the big mouths held on.

He specifically changed those, he wasn't really worshiped.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Olibu posted:

He specifically changed those, he wasn't really worshiped.

He was juiced up on souls and slightly unstable due to Leviathan, if I remember the sequences of events.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Merlinicus posted:

He was juiced up on souls and slightly unstable due to Leviathan, if I remember the sequences of events.

He was unstable because he had more power in him than his body could handle, which was partially but not entirely due to Leviathans. Similar to Satan's vessel, actually.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

DirtyRobot posted:

Look, just get my back my loving trickster, showrunners. :arghfist::mad: Everyone wants the trickster back. Cool people. People who barely watch the show. Crazy weirdo Sam/Dean shippers. Everyone.
Man I loved the Trickster episodes. Was so disappointed when Gabriel died. I'm sorry, but Dog Dean Afternoon just doesn't do the same thing for me.

Spikeguy posted:

So I just started season 8 where Sam just gave up being a hunter, not even looking for Kevin or even Dean. That seems a bit out of character for him.
At first I thought this was supposed to be some kind of joke. Like, they cut to Dean battling monsters in purgatory and fighting for his life, then cut to Sam adopting a dog for laughs. But they didn't go that way and instead just played it for straight that Sam moved on while Dean was in purgatory.

bull3964 posted:

It was actually getting kinda funny having Dean or Sam explain why Kevin wasn't in a particular episode. It seemed like there was always excuses why Kevin wasn't around so they wouldn't have to pay another actor.

I don't know why, but Kevin's death hit me hard. I really liked the character and it always seemed like he got a raw deal. Seeing him on the ground with his burnt out eyes seemed a lot more real than some of the other deaths on the show for some reason.
Yeah, that was getting really obvious. I don't know how much it costs to employ some Asian kid I've never heard of on a CW show either, this show's budget must really be hurting. They've even been managing to have Cas sit out episodes and of course Crowley is in like every few episodes tied up in their bunker. And yeah, Kevin was just some random innocent dude constantly suffering and being worked like a slave by Dean until he gets his head fried.

Olibu posted:

It's been a long, uphill struggle, but I feel at this point the show is finally back on the level it used to be. Maybe not season 4/5 level, but at least the main plot/arc doesn't leave you scratching your head and disappointed.
It wasn't that long ago Dean convinced Sam, you know what, let's not close the gates of hell.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Maybe Chuck will return! :v:
Wasn't it heavily implied that Chuck is literally God?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

http://io9.com/new-hints-for-x-men-apocalypse-warcraft-doctor-who-a-1486844372

BIG NEWS

According to Jeffery Carver, the rest of the season will see the return of THE GHOSTFACERS! :dance:

"I think we can rest assured we'll be seeing the return of The Ghostfacers. They will be making a return in what actually is a really fun and pretty emotional episode."

Also Garth will be back and the new arc will concern Cain and Abel!

Really looking forward to all this.

• Locked thread