Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Personally, I don't care that much about how the code for minecraft looks as long as I'm having fun with the game

Well, a lot of what's possible/reasonable with mods relates directly back to what the code looks like. There are a ton of limitations on modded servers right now that could be alleviated by better code in the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Taffer posted:

Well, a lot of what's possible/reasonable with mods relates directly back to what the code looks like. There are a ton of limitations on modded servers right now that could be alleviated by better code in the base game.

Well, that's certainly true - and I'm not trying to defend poor coding practices or white-knighting Mojang, but at the same time I personally feel I can't spend that much energy on being angry at the game or its creators when I actually like playing it. That being said, I'd love for the game to be better coded and continue to improve. Better modding stability and resource usage would be brilliant, given how heavy the game can get with a fair amount of mods installed.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

m2pt5 posted:

In addition to ardite and cobalt in the nether, Tinker's Construct adds aluminum ore in the overworld, and it has its own tin and copper ores (if you don't have another mod that supplies it.) Aluminum can be used with copper to make casts (though you can use gold as well) and you can make an alloy called alumite with it.

I'll point out that if you don't have a mod that adds steel production, alumite is basically required to start mining cobalt/ardite. Diamond won't cut it, and the alternative is melting down chainmail to get steel.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Tinker's Construct is a pretty cool mod, I just wish they'd jam in a TE or Mekanism recipe to get "Electric" instead of having 1 and only 1 point where an IC2 thing comes into it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

m2pt5 posted:

In addition to ardite and cobalt in the nether, Tinker's Construct adds aluminum ore in the overworld, and it has its own tin and copper ores (if you don't have another mod that supplies it.) Aluminum can be used with copper to make casts (though you can use gold as well) and you can make an alloy called alumite with it.

Uhh shows how much I know about it then. It's the first thing I do in hexxit and I got no clue about it it seems.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Yeah, I think I'll leave Tinker's Construct out of my modpack/server for the time being until it needs to be remade for whatever reason.

Then again, nice to have one less mod to worry about. Already kicked out BuildCraft a while back, which did wonders for the server.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

chairface posted:

Tinker's Construct is a pretty cool mod, I just wish they'd jam in a TE or Mekanism recipe to get "Electric" instead of having 1 and only 1 point where an IC2 thing comes into it.

In the recent versions, they've added just that. You can add a Flux Capacitor to any tool to give it the ability to be powered by Redstone Flux.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:

Rita Repulsa posted:

What really makes the smeltery worth it is for the tools it can make that dig/mine 3x3 holes, and you get to keep your tools forever and just repair them when they reach durability 0 with ingots instead of having to make a whole new one.

What tools are these?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Excavators for dirt, and Hammers for stone. I don't remember the Excavator's cost off the top of my head, but Hammers need two plates at eight ingots each, a hammerhead which costs eight ingots, and a tough tool rod at three ingots. It's a lot of material, but since you can repair it for one ingot, it's not that big a deal.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

MechaCrash posted:

Excavators for dirt, and Hammers for stone. I don't remember the Excavator's cost off the top of my head, but Hammers need two plates at eight ingots each, a hammerhead which costs eight ingots, and a tough tool rod at three ingots. It's a lot of material, but since you can repair it for one ingot, it's not that big a deal.

I believe the excavator costs 22 material. (The head, one plate, tough binding, tough tool rod.)

Also, if you have MFR or some other easy way to get moss stone, it's not a bad idea to put auto-repair on it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MechaCrash posted:

Or just put a moss enchantment on all your big tools and they'll repair themselves. Just one is usually enough.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Vib Rib posted:

Or just put a moss enchantment on all your big tools and they'll repair themselves. Just one is usually enough.

Well, the trade off is all your tools turning green. To be honest, I'm swimming in so many ingots the repair cost is a tiny price to pay to keep everything nice and shiny.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Man it took me a lot longer than I think it should have to figure out that smeltery in Hexxit (Tinkerer's Tool Pack?). I guess I agree with the notion that going through all that bullshit is worth 2x the yield smelting things, but getting to that point was a real adventure. I eventually figured out to make all the blocks I wanted, I needed to be pouring into basins, instead of onto the tables. I was wondering why after stuffing the drat thing up with, like, 45 iron ores that it wouldn't pour anything.
It's a little confusing to set up your first time, but once you've figured out how to build it, it's definitely my favorite "babby's first ore doubler" out of any of the mods I've ever played. You don't need power or gold or anything, just some sand, clay, gravel, iron (for a bucket), and lava. The smeltery is almost always the first thing I build on a new server after a few chests and furnaces.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Sooo in the current IC2, how do you keep machines from exploding? Voltage doesn't exist anymore, machines just explode if they get too much power all at once. So if you have even moderate power production, it doesn't matter what wire you put where, your poo poo will just explode if you try to power a machine from empty. I'm guessing you have to make one transformer per machine?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 22, 2013

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
So I made my third video, this time on Atomic Science as nuclear power is fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGIaNCoA5J0

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Umbra Dubium posted:

Well, the trade off is all your tools turning green. To be honest, I'm swimming in so many ingots the repair cost is a tiny price to pay to keep everything nice and shiny.

Put the moss on first, then any other upgrades will overlay the moss.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

It's probably pointlessly spergy, and too late by now anyway, but I wish there was a power system that dealt with power/electricity correctly. IC2, Buildcraft, TE3, and most everything else all shuffle around these abstract, perfectly interchangeable energy units as if they were packets in a network, which is simple to work with for sure but not very interesting. Universal Electricity calls its stuff "volts", "amps", "joules", but it's still the same system. Also, no one can seem to decide whether watts are a unit of power or energy. "This machine requires 30 kilowatts per second" :suicide:

Gregtech addresses one tiny flaw here by requiring processing machines to have uninterrupted power to work, but it's still based on IC2's broken system, and it's Gregtech.

RotaryCraft is based on torque/speed of rotating shafts rather than current/voltage, which is novel. It claims to be as realistic as possible, but sadly fails. Generators output a constant "torque" and "speed" regardless of whether they're freewheeling or there's any load. Same goes for the flywheels: when the input is disconnected they spin down at the same rate no matter what you have hanging off the output. There's a simple, cheap "Industrial Spring" block which can store up any amount of energy as spring tension, regardless of input torque or speed, and later release it at an arbitrarily programmable torque and speed. How it does this using nothing more complex than a brake disc and a lever is left as a mystery. Most egregiously, the developer forgot to model what direction things rotate in, so every block requires you to explicitly set the input and output faces, including the shafts, gearboxes, bevel gears, and "splitters". That's right: if you put a shaft in backwards, it won't turn! :suicide:

The power distribution / wiring mini-game would just be so much more interesting if we weren't stuck with these ultra-simplified models. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wish our man Three Phase was a Minecraft modder on the side :haw:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RP2 had a more realistic power system, I didn't care for it at all. I'd rather just plop down 3 generators for X <energy>/tick and call it good, not have to dredge up EE 101 and decide whether I should wire my solar panels in series or parallel.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I liked RP2's power system, I just wished there were more options for generating that power.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

McFrugal posted:

I liked RP2's power system, I just wished there were more options for generating that power.

RP2's huge windmill was awesome, it's a shame that the blades took durability damage.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I had two problems with RP2's power generation: that the only available methods were "green" but incredibly slow and expensive to make, and there was basically fuckall to spend it on.

I think it could've been at least a little better if it had a steam-based generator that burned coal or something so you could deal with spikes in demand, but I guess there wouldn't be many demand spikes when the only machines worth running were the sorter and retriever.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In Hexxit, how should I approach getting better equipped for entering all these crazy structures that surround me? I managed to do two pairs of castles that were generated next to each other (roughly 4 structures total). Then there was this other castle. In that one, I ran into a zombie that was shooting exploding fireballs that were beating the poo poo out of me. I had started putting on some of the drops I found, and otherwise I am using diamond gear. Meanwhile, I have respectable piles of core ingredients for things that I can get in the Overworld. In that I also have "meteor crap" (shards and gems and something else). And then there's all this essence. I also started casting weapons, so I have an iron hammer and an iron rapier.

Also in this mod, what can I easily combine together to take the tedium out of mining obsidian?

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug

MechaCrash posted:

I had two problems with RP2's power generation: that the only available methods were "green" but incredibly slow and expensive to make, and there was basically fuckall to spend it on.

I think it could've been at least a little better if it had a steam-based generator that burned coal or something so you could deal with spikes in demand, but I guess there wouldn't be many demand spikes when the only machines worth running were the sorter and retriever.

I was under the impression that the next version that will never exist was going to have a coal powered generator. I used the furnaces from RP too as it was quite handy having furnaces that did not require burning coal or using any other resource.

Pity she did not hand the mod on to someone else or release the source code.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

There was talk of new generators, but nothing ever produced for it, even as a hint.

I never liked blulectric furnaces. They were slow and a pain in the rear end to power, and unlike the standard used by everything else with "top input, bottom fuel, sides output," her furnaces had "input left, output right." It was much easier to use an electric furnace or induction furnace powered by solar panels.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Nomikos posted:

It's probably pointlessly spergy, and too late by now anyway, but I wish there was a power system that dealt with power/electricity correctly. IC2, Buildcraft, TE3, and most everything else all shuffle around these abstract, perfectly interchangeable energy units as if they were packets in a network, which is simple to work with for sure but not very interesting. Universal Electricity calls its stuff "volts", "amps", "joules", but it's still the same system. Also, no one can seem to decide whether watts are a unit of power or energy. "This machine requires 30 kilowatts per second" :suicide:

Gregtech addresses one tiny flaw here by requiring processing machines to have uninterrupted power to work, but it's still based on IC2's broken system, and it's Gregtech.

RotaryCraft is based on torque/speed of rotating shafts rather than current/voltage, which is novel. It claims to be as realistic as possible, but sadly fails. Generators output a constant "torque" and "speed" regardless of whether they're freewheeling or there's any load. Same goes for the flywheels: when the input is disconnected they spin down at the same rate no matter what you have hanging off the output. There's a simple, cheap "Industrial Spring" block which can store up any amount of energy as spring tension, regardless of input torque or speed, and later release it at an arbitrarily programmable torque and speed. How it does this using nothing more complex than a brake disc and a lever is left as a mystery. Most egregiously, the developer forgot to model what direction things rotate in, so every block requires you to explicitly set the input and output faces, including the shafts, gearboxes, bevel gears, and "splitters". That's right: if you put a shaft in backwards, it won't turn! :suicide:

The power distribution / wiring mini-game would just be so much more interesting if we weren't stuck with these ultra-simplified models. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wish our man Three Phase was a Minecraft modder on the side :haw:

TE actually approximates this very well. It's just that I've abstracted it to the point where people apparently don't see it. ;)

TE machines require uninterrupted power to work, they just have enough storage so that they do not begin a process until they can finish it.

Conduits have capacitance and must reach "charged" state for maximum energy transfer. It also approximates how a real power grid works, except this charge state doubles as the analog for frequency - if the frequency is under nominal, load is effectively "shed" to bump up the charge state.

Machines scale down their energy usage based on their buffer - once again - the charge buffer is used to determine input power, and maximum possible work.

Dynamos scale down their energy production based on their buffer - see the pattern? As in reality, the local feedback mechanism (governor) is used to control input torque adjust the output power.

I'm a power engineer - I live and breathe this stuff. I've also worked on a ton of embedded systems and I know the CPU constraints of Minecraft. So yeah, RF is very abstracted, and as an API, it is incredibly freeform. TE's specific implementation of RF however? Pretty close to reality, all things considered.

EDIT: In the large scale; adding V, I, and R doesn't really do much other than throw matrix math and/or PDEs into the mix. It's unnecessary.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart
I think the other important thing is to remember that the laygoon's mental model isn't going to be much beyond their everyday experience with electronics. I think most folks expect things to act like a cell phone. You plug it in and it charges up. It has to be charged up to work. While working, the charge runs down.

They're not thinking about battery chemistry, charge capacity in milliamperes, temperature, etc.

That's not to say that a realism-based power system is a bad idea - there's certainly room for mechanics that hew closer to simulation. See also: Orbiter v. Kerbal Space Program v. X-Wing vs TIE Fighter. However, you'd have to do a lot of work to make the ideas accessible to the players, and a lot of Minecraft mods fall down here. Usability and UI are really tedious to do in Minecraft, and it takes a special type of masochist to enjoy working on them.

My personal preference is for mechanics that feel like reality, but are easier to understand. This (and API stability) is one of the big reasons why I hitched my horse to KL's RF system instead of UE.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

EricFate posted:

I'll take him over Tahg and EvilSeph any day of the week. I wasn't sad to see that pair vanish from the employee list.
Grum, on the other hand, I'm glad he stuck around. He actually seems to DO things.

What I don't get about chosing SeargeDP is that his achievement boils down to reverse engineering an obfuscated game and managing to put it back together. Is their code base so convoluted that they need an external reverse engineering expert to make it ready for public consumption via a Modding API?

To top it off. Why didn't they stop obfuscating their main code long ago? They could surely limit their obfuscator to the actual copy protection parts (authentication/launcher, etc.) and leave the game logic unobfuscated.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the reasons for obfuscation are legal, not technical.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I haven't touched Minecraft in ages, but I installed the enhanced shaders today and :stare: Holy poo poo :stare: it looks amazing. Seems like a more performance friendly/customizable version of it really should go into the vanilla game. I'm totally blown away by it, it's so atmospheric. It makes me want to build something in Minecraft for the first time in years.

There was mention in the OP of a customized shader pack from this thread, but the link is dead. Any idea what that was or a link?

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Taffer posted:

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the reasons for obfuscation are legal, not technical.

It protects them from others copying their game mechanics very easily, and it also offers some protection from people circumventing the auth-servers. There's no legal requirement to obfuscate their bytecode. Although copyright doesn't seem to be very popular around these forums, it protects Mojang regardless of obfuscation.

Regarding the copying of game mechanics: MCP makes that pretty easy regardless of their obfuscation, doesn't it? ;-)

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The only reason they don't release it unobfuscated is a lawyer told them not to once and they never thought about it again.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Shukaro posted:

The only reason they don't release it unobfuscated is a lawyer told them not to once and they never thought about it again.

Hah! It wouldn't surprise me. They really really don't need it for copyright protection though heh. Regardless. It doesn't seem like they are going to omit obfuscation now anyway.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
Why have people started saying 'crash to desktop' instead of just 'crash'? It's less accurate, less helpful, and longer to type/read.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Clairetic posted:

Why have people started saying 'crash to desktop' instead of just 'crash'? It's less accurate, less helpful, and longer to type/read.

Because a crash to desktop means just that, while a crash will display the error message. For inexperienced people that don't know about the crash reports, one is much easier to report.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Dunno-Lars posted:

Because a crash to desktop means just that, while a crash will display the error message. For inexperienced people that don't know about the crash reports, one is much easier to report.

That's never what actually happened though. Minecraft catches any exception and puts up a crash screen.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 24, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

You would think so, but most of the crashes I've had lately just closed Minecraft and dumped a crash report in the folder rather than actually displaying an error in the game window.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Well, ugh. There must be an option in the launcher for it, then.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Clairetic posted:

Well, ugh. There must be an option in the launcher for it, then.

An.. option to crash outright to the desktop without an error message? :raise:

I've experienced it too, since 1.2.5, mostly with Matmos and occasionally with early stage modpacks.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I have had far more crashes to desktop lately then the error screen. Its poo poo, but true. You have to locate the modpack folder and find the crash report, which is more then I expect from your average Joe minecrafter.

Anything new about how tinkers and gregtech misbehaving? Waiting for mojang to smack them both for being childish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Faldoncow posted:

The latest BR release is 0.2.7A2 (http://www.big-reactors.com/) and there's also a 0.2.8X testing version, although I don't know if either fixes that issue. Not sure if this is your specific problem, but Big Reactors will turn off if the chunk unloads, and won't turn back online when the chunk is reloaded. You can set up a MFR Rednet Controller to toggle it back on when the chunk loads in (I just used And(2-input) with CNST 1 + CNST 1, and set the Rednet port to activate on pulse) or if you have ComputerCraft with html enabled, you're welcome to try my reactor program. Just plop an Advanced Computer against a Computer Port, and type in "pastebin get 3QLUdb4u startup". Looks like this:

It also supports Advanced Monitors. You'll need at least 0.2.7A for it to work though.

This program is awesome, but I'm having some problems with making it work:

1) It never seems to calculate the fuel consumption or estimate the running time/efficiency when data logging is on. It just gets stuck on "Initializing..."

2) The energy bar glitches out as soon as it finishes filling up any external power cells. The reactor's internal buffer isn't full, but it freaks out like so:

Any ideas on how to fix, or is there an updated version somewhere?

• Locked thread