Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Trance is just an occasional added bonus. You never need it, like you need limit breaks or overdrives. The game's difficulty is balanced around trance not existing in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Learning abilities from FF9 is the best part of the gameplay though? It's really cool to go to a town and see what new pieces of equipment you can pick up since it means more abilities, and doing sidequests feels legit rewarding since you can get good skills like AP UP and MP Attack really early, at least IMO. I don't really have a problem with the FF5/7/8 style of characters essentially being skins for your job/matera/junction setups, but it's really more of an apples and oranges thing as opposed to one game doing it flat out better than the other like FF5's job system compared to FF3. I guess the whole Trance activating automatically is stupid, but frankly, it seems silly to consider it even a minor complaint since it would be completely gamebreaking if it had manual input.

On another note, am I the only one who thinks FF5's ability system is pretty bad? I don't mean jobs, the job system itself is pretty fantastic even among current JRPGs for being able to make so many party combinations at any time, and have nearly all of them, within reason, be viable. The actual ability system kinda...sucks though. Compared to something like Final Fantasy Tactics, where you can equip a secondary command, a support ability, a counter skill and a movement skill, Final Fantasy 5 feels lacking in that regard. Hell, most non-mages don't have a skillset to equip, just a command you probably never touch in the actual job itself. It never feels like you're customizing and building up a unit like in Tactics, because you're just giving a Black Mage !White or a melee job like Samurai Two-Handed. Which is still cool in its own way, it just feels like it could work better if you could replace the Attack command with stuff like !Mug or !Aim, and had a slot dedicated to the Equip X skills.
Keep in mind that FF5 came out years before Tactics and was itself a vast improvement over FF3. It'd be strange if they didn't learn something.

The system works perfectly fine, and I for one like it. Even though you can't change the jobs much, you can use Bare/Freelancer and Mime to get a similar effect.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Last Celebration posted:

Compared to something like Final Fantasy Tactics, where you can equip a secondary command, a support ability, a counter skill and a movement skill, Final Fantasy 5 feels lacking in that regard. Hell, most non-mages don't have a skillset to equip, just a command you probably never touch in the actual job itself. It never feels like you're customizing and building up a unit like in Tactics, because you're just giving a Black Mage !White or a melee job like Samurai Two-Handed.

Ignoring the fact you're comparing FF5 to a game that came out after it, you do know that if you give a Samurai !Black they get a Black Mage's magic stat, right? Similarly tossing on Equip Swords on a White Mage gives them a Warrior's strength stat. The option for customization's there if you want, it's just not nearly as useful as mastering related classes and merging them all into a Freelancer/Mime.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

1st AD posted:

The whole point is to master a job and then get all the passive abilities with a freelancer or mime, then give them whatever commands you want.

When the whole point doesn't become remotely feasible until you're at the final dungeon, or you've done hours of grinding, then you have a problem.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You could say that about any Final Fantasy besides VIII. I mean Tactics is incredibly grindy, a lot more so than other games.

I dunno, I recently played the iOS/Android version of FFV and pretty much mastered all the important jobs and beat the game in under 30 hours. Granted, auto-battle triples your battle speed and I definitely abused that when AP farming.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Defiance Industries posted:

Would you prefer "protagonist and antagonist" then?

And then your point folds because virtually every show in existence will have a protagonist and antagonist, so sure why not?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gigglefeimer posted:

When the whole point doesn't become remotely feasible until you're at the final dungeon, or you've done hours of grinding, then you have a problem.

Why?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

And you'd be wrong because that was in fact a direct reference to a sequence in... I believe it was Trider G7. One of those "kid with a robot with a butler" shows.

Really? That's pretty neat. Thanks for telling me.

quote:

Did you miss Bart literally piloting the giant pink Hyper Dimensional Macross-reference Yggdrasil IV made out of a city?

You're right here too. I had forgotten that, as well as the Elements doing their Voltron thing.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Other than trance activating automatically, FFIX's ability system was one of the best in the series. It also had characters that were the most developed across the entire party compared to most other FF's, Quina being the main exception but that's a joke character anyways.

I assume this will be an unpopular opinion, but I just recently played Xenogears for the first time and I thought that game was pretty poo poo. The pacing was horrible, it felt jumbled together, plot points came and went with the wind, and worst of all, Disc 2. I know it was a product of its time and was "edgy" when it came out, but playing it in 2013 meant a lot of its plot was pretty eye-rolling. I couldn't find the appeal that made people still talk about it a decade later, unless its all nostalgia fueled. I played FFV four times for the fiesta this year and enjoyed it, replayed FF9 again right before xenogears and thoroughly enjoyed that, and BoF4 before that. The combat system in Xenogears was ok but largely pointless by the end once you unlocked the better martial arts. I probably wouldve loved that game in 1998 when I was 13 but I only finished it when I got to disc 2 so I could say I'd beaten it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That's not an unpopular opinion at all, especially on here. You either love Xenogears or you hate it. There is no in-between because loving the game largely depends on forgiving it its massive and numerous flaws. I love the game but if someone hates it, I'm not going to ask "why?" because there are plenty of reasons to hate it.

At the very least I hope you liked the excellent music. I think most people at least enjoyed that much.

And with that amazing segue, plus the FFIX talk, I was hoping to get some opinions on this. (I love music chat)

What is everyone's favorite version of "Place I'll Return To Someday"/"A Place To Call Home"? It's the FFIX title screen theme and it has a ton of motifs in the game.

Title Screen
Oeilvert
Chamber Of A Thousand Faces
Ipsen's Castle
Four Mirrors
Terra

The Final Fantasy IX game has lost its old hold on me but the soundtrack remains as great as ever.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Other than trance activating automatically, FFIX's ability system was one of the best in the series.

I started playing IX not too long ago, and although the Trance system is a very poorly-implemented version of the Limit Breaks and Overdrives, I have no idea why they kept learning abilities from your equipment to just this game.

I like how Final Fantasy is experimental enough that they can invent all these wonderful systems, from V's job system, to VII's materia system, and X's CTB battle system, but they refuse to combine and evolve these systems to make a solid game. Maybe if XIII removed levelling altogether, and replaced the crystarium with IX's system where you earn abilities by gaining experience with different weapons and equipment, you'd both feel like you're making important decisions regarding which weapons and equipment to use and upgrade, without feeling annoyed by hitting an area's level cap. The entire game up to the open-world area is so constricted that there's no real point to having levels, since each encounter is tailored to the level you will be at. A less stupid upgrading system would help, too.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance used FF9's equipment-based skill system, and it is also better than most people say. Just think of the laws as a puzzle to work around.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bongo Bill posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance used FF9's equipment-based skill system, and it is also better than most people say. Just think of the laws as a puzzle to work around.
I refuse to level classes I don't like just to work around their diarrhea roadblock system that punishes you and has no consequences for the AI.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, I really dislike Tactics Advance for making all stats carry over when you switch jobs. It completely defeats the purpose of a job change system in the first place. Instead of being able to switch around for flexibility, it becomes "grab a few key abilities, stay in a class with good stats forever".

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, I really dislike Tactics Advance for making all stats carry over when you switch jobs. It completely defeats the purpose of a job change system in the first place. Instead of being able to switch around for flexibility, it becomes "grab a few key abilities, stay in a class with good stats forever".

Every job system game has that "get key abilities, stay in job with good stats" trait to it, though? :confused:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Every job system game has that "get key abilities, stay in job with good stats" trait to it, though? :confused:
Except Final Fantasy 5! Instead, you get key abilities and stats, finish in Bare/Freelancer or Mime. :eng101:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kyrosiris posted:

FFT-1 sort of had this, but every class had base stats and switching to Dragoon meant you were buff like a Dragoon even if you'd leveled as a Black Mage to that point. Gains from leveling in specific classes were so marginal that they're less than 1 and have five or six significant figures past the decimal.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

gigglefeimer posted:

If it takes you the whole game to master like four jobs, I don't think the game is at fault.

Unless you think you literally have to master every job, in which case you're doing it wrong.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Not really. In FF5, you don't gain any stats as you level, and stats are entirely tied to jobs, so even if you gain 10 levels as a knight and then switch to black mage, you'd be just as good at being a black mage as if you had gained 10 levels as a black mage, along with any knight abilities you gained as a bonus. That gives you a lot of flexibility. In FFTA, if you did the same thing, you'd have a black mage who's really lovely at magic but really good at hitting things with rods.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I assume this will be an unpopular opinion, but I just recently played Xenogears for the first time and I thought that game was pretty poo poo. The pacing was horrible, it felt jumbled together, plot points came and went with the wind, and worst of all, Disc 2. I know it was a product of its time and was "edgy" when it came out, but playing it in 2013 meant a lot of its plot was pretty eye-rolling. I couldn't find the appeal that made people still talk about it a decade later, unless its all nostalgia fueled.

No dude I'm with you. I didn't even like Xenogears when I played it as a kid. It was a terrible story trying way too hard and nothing about the setting or level design were interesting. Plus the whole fact that it had to be so rushed that the entire second half of the game was gutted. It's just not a good game.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

What is everyone's favorite version of "Place I'll Return To Someday"/"A Place To Call Home"? It's the FFIX title screen theme and it has a ton of motifs in the game.

Title Screen

Definitely this one, though Terra's a fine theme as well.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Source

NovaCrystallis posted:

The last time we truly saw Final Fantasy XV was at E3 and it seems the wait is about to continue. Despite being in development for several years, Square Enix is now asking fans to have patience once again as their media silence marches on – having passed by recent events such as Tokyo Game Show and Jump Festa this past weekend.

According to an interview in Famitsu with director and character designer Tetsuya Nomura, he briefly mentions that the team is still focused on development and he would like fans to wait “until the timing is right to reveal more information.”

With so little to go on, one has to wonder what and when exactly the next bit of information will come on Final Fantasy XV, a game nearing its eighth year since announcement. It doesn’t seem like – despite previous promises that the days of withholding information were at an end – it’ll be anytime soon.

:v:

Just wait for the announcement of this being turned into Half-Life 3 when Valve buys SE in like 15 years.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's hardly surprising, so long as this doesn't continue the Versus tradition of long stretches of NOTHING being answered it should be fine.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Veks posted:

Source

:v:

Just wait for the announcement of this being turned into Half-Life 3 when Valve buys SE in like 15 years.

Final Fantasy 15: The Last Guardian

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
So, does FF8 PC really have no way of turning the music down? It's loud as hell. That's the dumbest oversight that way too many games make.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No dude I'm with you. I didn't even like Xenogears when I played it as a kid. It was a terrible story trying way too hard and nothing about the setting or level design were interesting. Plus the whole fact that it had to be so rushed that the entire second half of the game was gutted. It's just not a good game.

It's hard to imagine that it was ever gonna get finished until someone cut off the flow of money. It feels like EVERY SINGLE THING the developers were into had to go in there, even if there wasn't time to do even one of them well. The sheer amount of intro-philosophy bullshit and borrowed mythology that gets built up to justify a mild, inoffensive (except that it's kind of sexist) humanism is hilarious. After 60 hours of Ein Soph sending the Yabeh to emanate the Zohar through Merkaba or loving whatever your thesis is "I love my mom and don't trust hot girls"???? Haha jesus

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The idea of making something uncontrollable in a game where you control everything about your character because of the fear of breaking the game is rather silly especially since they fixed that in the game after IX. Like JRPGs by nature are games where once you figure out the gimmick they become easy to break, it's a part of the genre at this point. Making them unintuitive because you want to make it more challenging is something that never really works and serves to only frustrate the player.

The rest of your point is your opinion and whatnot, but I don't like skills being attached to equipment because I prefer having my skills be separate from my equipment as that allows me to actually focus on growing stats while separating it from my skill progression.

FFIX has fingerprints of the FFT team all over it, so in their usual fashion, equipment is supposed to be more than just a way to grow stats. I don't think attaching skills to equipment is any more of a decision than attaching elemental immunities.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I dunnow, I have a real soft spot for the initial setting of "giant empires fight a war using giant robots that they do not fully understand the workings of. Meanwhile, a secretive religious order claims neutrality and offers their understanding of lost technologies to everyone while, behind the scenes, they manipulate to extend the war indefinitely" considering that is 3025 BattleTech but without spaceships. Too bad they ditch that almost immediately.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 25, 2013

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Eugene Voldo • 5 hours ago −
Ahahahahahaha.... hahaha.... haha...hah...
It's not even funny anymore, you know? At least Toriyama had released three mainline FF games in a somewhat timely manner. So why Lord Nomura-sama... Actually, hell no, no more Lord and -sama for your lazy rear end Nomura. Now you're on the same ground with Toriyama for me. And gently caress this "right timing" bullshit.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Final Fantasy 15: The Last Guardian

Oh nooooooo

It's happening again.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Eugene Voldo • 5 hours ago −
Ahahahahahaha.... hahaha.... haha...hah...
It's not even funny anymore, you know? At least Toriyama had released three mainline FF games in a somewhat timely manner. So why Lord Nomura-sama... Actually, hell no, no more Lord and -sama for your lazy rear end Nomura. Now you're on the same ground with Toriyama for me. And gently caress this "right timing" bullshit.

Steak once a week over poo poo once a day, etc.

This is ignoring the Kingdom Hearts games, since he released Birth by Sleep in 2010 and Dream Drop Distance in 2012, plus some smaller games like Re:Coded.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 25, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's probably indicative of me that when I saw "Lord Nomura-Sama" I immediately thought "I didn't know it was possible to be redundant in two different languages in the same sentence."

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009
Well I just finished FFX. It is the first FF game I've ever played.
The ending was kind of melancholy.

I enjoyed it a lot, and am looking forward to playing more FF games. Probably will pop in x-2 next.

Auron such was cool dude. :)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

PastaSky posted:

I enjoyed it a lot, and am looking forward to playing more FF games. Probably will pop in x-2 next.

Fair warning, it has a widely different tone, gameplay, quests...everything really.

And the initial few missions can be somewhat off-putting. Like the LeBlanc massage one.

Otherwise if you remember the characters from FFX and realize that X-2 has a post-Sin Spira, you'll probably have a good time.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

PastaSky posted:

Oh, totally. First one I finished, too. I completed VII not a week ago, so that's two, and now I'm going to do the rest pre-XI; I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VIII, and IX. I'm so excited.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neowyrm posted:

Oh, totally. First one I finished, too. I completed VII not a week ago, so that's two, and now I'm going to do the rest pre-XI; I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VIII, and IX. I'm so excited.

Skip 3, and probably 2 as well. They are pretty much terrible.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

The White Dragon posted:

I refuse to level classes I don't like just to work around their diarrhea roadblock system that punishes you and has no consequences for the AI.

Don't play SRPGs then.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PastaSky posted:

FFX's ending is pretty much perfect. Only IX rivals it for me. Although your last line reminds me that my favorite part will always be Auron's Sending.

Also i have to ask, as a newcomer to the series with no nostalgia blinding you, and in 2013 with the level of voice-acting being generally much higher, what did you think of the voice-acting?

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Skip 3, and probably 2 as well. They are pretty much terrible.

3 is fine if you play the Famicom version. 2 can never be made good, but it's at least playable if you stick to the GBA/PSP versions.

I mean, really, so few of these games are any good, if you're going to play dated, crappy games anyway you might as well play them all. :smuggo:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Anonymous Robot posted:

So, does FF8 PC really have no way of turning the music down? It's loud as hell. That's the dumbest oversight that way too many games make.

There's an in-game sound slider.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Francis posted:

3 is fine if you play the Famicom version. 2 can never be made good, but it's at least playable if you stick to the GBA/PSP versions.

I mean, really, so few of these games are any good, if you're going to play dated, crappy games anyway you might as well play them all. :smuggo:

What's wrong with 2 and 3? I played a bit of the 3 remake on the DS and it seemed good. Then my DS died but that's of course unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Neowyrm posted:

What's wrong with 2 and 3? I played a bit of the 3 remake on the DS and it seemed good. Then my DS died but that's of course unrelated.

They "rebalanced" it by making it hard as poo poo, essentially. The bosses had a shitton of health and IIRC a lot of the classes were weaker than the NES version. I'm a bit of a gaming masochist so I soldiered through until I got to the last level and then said gently caress it when the final boss one shot my entire party, and I realized that the last save was outside the final dungeon. Hours ago. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't hyperbole there, it literally was hours of content I would have to redo.

FFII was just flat out broken, with a attribute system kind of like pre-Skyrim Elder scrolls games. Increase health by being hit, increase dodge by dodging hits, increase strength by hitting poo poo etc. However, in reality it didn't work like that, since if you weren't grinding the gently caress out of it you're characters wouldn't be good at jack poo poo, and counterintuitive things like the best way to increase health was to equip 2 shields and attack yourself.

Someone else who played them more recently can probably think of more unkind things to say about them, I've barely scratched the surface. Which is too bad, because FFII had a fairly interesting story at least. But the only good thing about FFIII was that it was the prototype for thread-favorite FFV, which did everything FFIII did but better.