Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Factor_VIII posted:

Download EEKeeper if you want to use it on BG2EE instead. If you changed your class you'd need to manually edit your hit points, saving throws, spell slots, special abilities, known spells, etc. It's quite a hassle. To be honest I don't think it's necessary. You have a full party so it's not as if you are missing a class and need your PC to fill it in. A fighter PC can handle the game fine.

I downloaded this and I read the FAQ on the website and it says that it is not built to work with steam versions but it should - I cant get it to work but I am occasionally bad at computers and miss something dumb/obvious, anyone have any experience with it that could tell me what I may be doing wrong? I extracted it and am trying to point the installation directory at the right spot but nothing is working (for example: the file where the website says it should be pointing does not exist on my computer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUMMYMTN
May 22, 2003
How are the thief kits (specifically Shadowdancer) in BG2:EE? I vaguely remember from my first play-through of the original, vanilla version that thieves made for pretty underwhelming PCs unless dual or multi-classed.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mickey McKey posted:

I downloaded this and I read the FAQ on the website and it says that it is not built to work with steam versions but it should - I cant get it to work but I am occasionally bad at computers and miss something dumb/obvious, anyone have any experience with it that could tell me what I may be doing wrong? I extracted it and am trying to point the installation directory at the right spot but nothing is working (for example: the file where the website says it should be pointing does not exist on my computer).

Extract EEKeeper to your Steam install directory, this will be something like C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
Launch the program, under Settings, point it to the same directory. Make sure to select your language under this same menu or it won't work.
Restart the program. Load your save game file.

If you want to completely reboot your character, I find the quickest and most reliable way is to create a fresh "template" character in-game, save, open that save in EEKeeper. You can have both your save to be reset and your template open at once in EEKeeper, and copy the values over from the template. Most everything is pretty straightforward, and there are easy shortcuts for the more complex stuff. Make your character level 1 but leave your experience points value alone. You can use the "Kit" button under the Innate tab to add your kit's unique abilities for whatever level range (since we're resetting, just level 1 to 1). Copy/paste the Affects from your template to your reset character. Save (keep a backup, obviously) and enter the game, if you've done it correctly you'll be level 1 as your new class and ready to level back up to wherever your previous experience would have put you, no need for CLUAConsole commands to add experience back. With this method you're effectively just copy/pasting all the correct level 1 values for your desired class and then manually leveling back up to where you were in-game.

Seriously I don't understand how this is that difficult, it takes me maybe 10min total and I've never encountered bugs or problems :confused: (not directed at you so much as others saying this is a huge pain in the rear end)

If you're still having problems, maybe PM me and send me your save file and what you'd like done with it and I'll fix it quick for you?

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 26, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MUMMYMTN posted:

How are the thief kits (specifically Shadowdancer) in BG2:EE? I vaguely remember from my first play-through of the original, vanilla version that thieves made for pretty underwhelming PCs unless dual or multi-classed.

Pure class thieves are kind of unnecessary is the problem with thieves. There's not much they do that a dual or multiclass can't do just as well or better.

Shadowdancer does nothing to change that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Extract EEKeeper to your Steam install directory, this will be something like C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
Launch the program, under Settings, point it to the same directory. Make sure to select your language under this same menu or it won't work.
Restart the program. Load your save game file.

If you want to completely reboot your character, I find the quickest and most reliable way is to create a fresh "template" character in-game, save, open that save in EEKeeper. You can have both your save to be reset and your template open at once in EEKeeper, and copy the values over from the template. Most everything is pretty straightforward, and there are easy shortcuts for the more complex stuff. Make your character level 1 but leave your experience points value alone. You can use the "Kit" button under the Innate tab to add your kit's unique abilities for whatever level range (since we're resetting, just level 1 to 1). Copy/paste the Affects from your template to your reset character. Save (keep a backup, obviously) and enter the game, if you've done it correctly you'll be level 1 as your new class and ready to level back up to wherever your previous experience would have put you, no need for CLUAConsole commands to add experience back. With this method you're effectively just copy/pasting all the correct level 1 values for your desired class and then manually leveling back up to where you were in-game.

Seriously I don't understand how this is that difficult, it takes me maybe 10min total and I've never encountered bugs or problems :confused: (not directed at you so much as others saying this is a huge pain in the rear end)

If you're still having problems, maybe PM me and send me your save file and what you'd like done with it and I'll fix it quick for you?

Ahahaha Thank you sir. Emphasis on my "occasionally bad at computers and miss something dumb/obvious"....I wasnt selecting a language :derp:. I selected one and now its working just fine :cripes:. Thank you for the idea of making the template character because that sounds very logical and sensible to keep the process smooth and simple. I am not even sure what I am going to do. I may just give myself a few levels of cleric or rogue or something before the fighter levels because I am enjoying my current party as is and do not need another arcane caster. I have noticed Yoshimo was able to successfully backstab with his Katana so being able to backstab with a two-handed sword could be really funny. But now that I know how to do this I can fiddle around and do whatever, so thanks again.

edit: process went well except when I clicked level up to go up from 1 it took me from 1 => max without stopping in-between, never giving me the chance to dual-class it up. I am just going to look up the XP required to be where I want to be as a Swashbuckler, input it, level up to that point, then set my experience to its current amount to go the rest of the way.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 26, 2013

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Can you cast spells as Shadowdancer/Mage or /Cleric during their ghetto time stop?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

steakmancer posted:

Can you cast spells as Shadowdancer/Mage or /Cleric during their ghetto time stop?

I'm pretty sure it says explicitly that you cannot cast spells or attack.

edit: I had the game running, checked, my above statement is correct (read "SHADOWSTEP" in the middle):

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 26, 2013

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Captain Oblivious posted:

If you're running away until their nastiest protections run out then yeah, they're not that big a deal. Some people are more okay with that than others though :v:
I have no particular shame in saying that I regularly leg it from Irenicus on the Tree of Life when he starts going for Time Stop. Other than that, I don't remember any mage fights in the game that involve me shutting a door on them or whatever to just cheese them out. Your answer still assumes that I care more about mages than I do. If they've Mantled themselves up, I'm going to go kill their allies for a couple of rounds until they're vulnerable again, not run.

Kanos posted:

It's always been my experience that simply trying to dogpile most of the decently challenging mage encounters in BG2 with a wall of bulked up warrior flesh generally results in a lot of dead warriors and a lot of loaded save games. Five guys wailing on a powerful mage can strip a stoneskin pretty quick, but can they do it before three of them are lobotomized and wandering around confused and the other two have their flesh melting off? Only an Inquisitor really makes this kind of approach feasible.

I didn't say "fight like an idiot" or "make your party entirely warrior classes" (though to your question about five warriors against one mage with a Stoneskin, they bloody well should be taking that down without the mage loving them up too badly unless they're really crap at their jobs. Hell, one decent archer with Fire Arrows ought to have it under control.) Just that sticking to the basic archetypes of a first time player is reasonably effective and will quite happily get you through the game without engaging in as highly a mage-centric view of battles as so much of the thread seems to advocate.

I make allowances for mages in the same way that I make allowances for fighters: have a couple of Stoneskins, ProMW, Hardinesses ready on the one hand, and Chaotic Commands, Remove Paralysis and Resist Fears on the other - and healing potions for both sides of the equation. If someone didn't, that would be playing like an idiot. I just have never needed to skew my preparation and allowances 90:10 in favour of mages.

To return to the hypothetical scenario of some mage fight, and giving them something more potent than a Stoneskin, if someone managed to end up with most of their party crowd controlled or dead because of this mage, it wouldn't be wrong to say that it's because they failed to engage them in a magical duel where their attentions were occupied by stripping your defences and restoring theirs until your party finally won out and could kill them. But it would also not be wrong to suggest that the crowd control and damage spells could have been 90% mitigated by keeping your party at a halfway decent spread, scattering them when an AOE was being cast at one or the other, running the saves, and then fixing up a character who possibly failed them. You wouldn't stick your squad all in a 10" diameter circle in a modern game where there was a risk of grenades, so there's definitely no reason to do it in Baldur's Gate. I'm saying that the second option is an option, that I run with it essentially 100% of the time, and that it gets me through the game quite happily.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
So I restarted BG1 after installing BGT and only played a bit thus far on a paladin inquisitor who is already leaps and bounds more fun to play than my fighter was. Along with all the vast improvements though, is it just me or did they make Jaheira and Khalid worse; why is he now specced for dual-wielding bastard swords? And are there really enough bastard swords in the game to justify that being a specialization at all? And why does she come with a club?

Also, are there any easy ways early on to get items identified? I've yet to find the spell anywhere, and paying a hundo each time is tedious.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can get a scroll of it in Candlekeep, the jerk you're supposed to deliver it to won't mind if you keep it for yourself.

Otherwise, scrolls of Identify tend to show up in containers reasonably often. Just keep going through the story and you're bound to pick up some more.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am undecided about what to do in the Sahuagin city. Any particular way that is better in terms of XP or loot? I dont even need details, just a general idea. I am leaning helping the rebels because I'm pretty rich at this point and I figure I'll earn more bonus XP via aiding the rebels.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Mickey McKey posted:

I am undecided about what to do in the Sahuagin city. Any particular way that is better in terms of XP or loot? I dont even need details, just a general idea. I am leaning helping the rebels because I'm pretty rich at this point and I figure I'll earn more bonus XP via aiding the rebels.

Work for the exiled prince then kill him at the end for extra loot!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jabor posted:

You can get a scroll of it in Candlekeep, the jerk you're supposed to deliver it to won't mind if you keep it for yourself.

Otherwise, scrolls of Identify tend to show up in containers reasonably often. Just keep going through the story and you're bound to pick up some more.

I'd be mildly surprised if Thalantyr didn't have it for sale at High Hedge.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

I usually do the quest (working for either side, doesn't really matter), then slaughter everything afterwards.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, are there any easy ways early on to get items identified? I've yet to find the spell anywhere, and paying a hundo each time is tedious.

Pick up Garrick.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mickey McKey posted:

Ahahaha Thank you sir. Emphasis on my "occasionally bad at computers and miss something dumb/obvious"....I wasnt selecting a language :derp:.

No problem, I specifically mentioned setting the language because I spent about 15min scratching my head in frustration as to why it wouldn't find my save files too :D

What level is your fighter? Fighter->whatever dual classes are all going to be very strong and pretty fun builds, as you'll have enough Fighter levels to be competent in melee and a nice pile of HP in addition to the utility or spellcasting of your second class. Anyway, no reason to "fix" your character if you're enjoying him as-is, particularly since the party you're using is already very caster-heavy. If at some point you decide to pick up an NPC fighter-type and want to make your character more caster-y, I recommend going 7 Fighter / Cleric or Mage.

In the meantime, consider switching your pure Fighter to a Berserker kit. Using the Enrage ability makes you immune to a TON of nasty debilitating effects ("immunity to charm, hold, fear, maze, imprisonment, stun, confusion, feeblemind, level drain and sleep") and will make your pure Berseker an awesome tank throughout the game if you choose not to dual. It's an excellent kit for dualling out of as well.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Ok, new problem, I need a way to halt or remove the NCP timers in BGEE2. I have Dorn, Korgan, Hexxat, and Edwin so far. I am in the Graveyard district doing Korgans's quest and now all the rest of them are constantly bugging me to do their quests. I am only like 6 days in game time so I don't know what the gently caress.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Ok, new problem, I need a way to halt or remove the NCP timers in BGEE2. I have Dorn, Korgan, Hexxat, and Edwin so far. I am in the Graveyard district doing Korgans's quest and now all the rest of them are constantly bugging me to do their quests. I am only like 6 days in game time so I don't know what the gently caress.

None of the quests are on a timer that can expire, so all that's going to happen is that they will complain until you complete their quest or drop them from your party.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I could have sworn Korgan will eventually ditch you, but maybe I'm wrong.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

I could have sworn Korgan will eventually ditch you, but maybe I'm wrong.

You could be right about that one, I forget.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm really excited to play IWD2 mostly because I can make my own party and therefore have fewer in it. Soon I'll be free from Infinity pathfinding!

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Average Bear posted:

I'm really excited to play IWD2 mostly because I can make my own party and therefore have fewer in it. Soon I'll be free from Infinity pathfinding!

As has been said, you can do this in BG games as well, you just have to start the game as a multiplayer game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

flowinprose posted:

As has been said, you can do this in BG games as well, you just have to start the game as a multiplayer game.

Or just not recruit five NPCs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Average Bear posted:

I would not recommend going below 4 people, simply because you probably want at least 1 character of each major DnD archetype (Fighter, Cleric, Mage, Rogue). Make sure you have at least one person of 18 Con, at least one person with 18 Int, and at absolutely without question a person of 18 Cha with Diplomacy, Bluff, ect skills - there are little things you can do outside of combat that will get you some nifty magic items (Con in the very beginning in the tavern, Int much later in (I think) a Dwarven enclave) and having your Charisma person do all the talking can earn you bigger rewards, information (and XP) easier, bigger rewards, and sometimes just funny poo poo. Having a monk is also very useful for a major quest later on but not absolutely necessary. I found the game very enjoyable with a parties of size 3 through parties sized 6; the size 3 was tough and required a bit more cheese, the 6 (with two Sorcerers, a Cleric, a Fighter/Rogue, a Rogue/Fighter, and a Monk) was absolutely bonkers...one Sorcerer specced fire, acid, and diplo skillz; the other lightning, ice, and intelligence (alchemy for identifying potions, spellcraft for identifying items and spells cast by hostiles, ect); Monk with 3 Charisma, 18 Str, Dex, Con, and 18 Wis (or something silly and dumb to be OP) and sneaking skills, Cleric with high Wis and just well built, and the mainly fighter with a few levels of Rogue for sneaking around with the rogueier rogue, otherwise built to be a tank; and the Rogue with a few levels of fighter for the extra feats and attack bonus to be better in combat (use both fighter rogue, rogue fighter, and monk to sneak around and murder small groups together).

Have you played 3rd Ed before? If not I will go on about ability scores so you make sure you do them right, if you'd like.

Pellisworth posted:

No problem, I specifically mentioned setting the language because I spent about 15min scratching my head in frustration as to why it wouldn't find my save files too :D

What level is your fighter? Fighter->whatever dual classes are all going to be very strong and pretty fun builds, as you'll have enough Fighter levels to be competent in melee and a nice pile of HP in addition to the utility or spellcasting of your second class. Anyway, no reason to "fix" your character if you're enjoying him as-is, particularly since the party you're using is already very caster-heavy. If at some point you decide to pick up an NPC fighter-type and want to make your character more caster-y, I recommend going 7 Fighter / Cleric or Mage.

In the meantime, consider switching your pure Fighter to a Berserker kit. Using the Enrage ability makes you immune to a TON of nasty debilitating effects ("immunity to charm, hold, fear, maze, imprisonment, stun, confusion, feeblemind, level drain and sleep") and will make your pure Berseker an awesome tank throughout the game if you choose not to dual. It's an excellent kit for dualling out of as well.

Just to practice with it, I made myself a level 11 Swashbuckler as my starter and dual classed to a fighter, which is level 12. I have fewer overall HP but the ability to sneak if needed, detect illusion, pickpocket (so I dont have to have Yoshimo learn it :v:) and +2 to hit and damage plus -3 to my AC. It is nifty but not a huge overall change I do not think. I may do that Berserker thing you suggested though because I am enjoying my fighter overall and think my mages are adept enough without me being one, except the whole mages rants I was going on about on the previous page - being able to berserk to ignore those things would be pretty sweet. But I do have a strange conscience and doubt I will want to make a major change like that. Plus right now my Swashbuckler/Fighter is -11 AC with non-magical Full Plate, Ring of whatever that is +2 AC +2 on saves, cloak of the Sewers (+1 AC), and Ring of the Earth (+1 AC), so if I could think of a better way of getting my AC lower I would think about it, but I am liking what I am doing right now because of the +2 ring helping with saves.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

flowinprose posted:

Cythereal posted:

Or just not recruit five NPCs.

Yeah, but BG does try to have some character development and flavor, while IWD2 apparently drops this pretense.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Average Bear posted:

Bad pathfinding is why I don't feel bad about Ctrl+J'ing everywhere. Just getting a full party group from point A to B, nevermind keeping them in decent tactical formation, is a major pain in tight quarters or narrow passages. "Oops, just brushed shoulders with another party member, guess I have to take the scenic route now." :downs:

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
gently caress DRACONIS!

Like seriously, my 20th attempt :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

amanasleep posted:

None of the quests are on a timer that can expire, so all that's going to happen is that they will complain until you complete their quest or drop them from your party.

Any idea if Anomen saying he needs to go to the Order's HQ is something that will cause him to leave? I just got the talk from him that he needs to, and we are in the Asylum :downs:.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Mickey McKey posted:

Any idea if Anomen saying he needs to go to the Order's HQ is something that will cause him to leave? I just got the talk from him that he needs to, and we are in the Asylum :downs:.
Yes. He will leave. Just use a cheat to move to the city and then come back. Here are the area codes.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I Uh. I uh. I read the OP and it dawned on me.. is charisma not a necessary stat for sorcerors? I thought they gave you extra spells :(

Why the gently caress am I playing a sorc with 18 charisma?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Affi posted:

I Uh. I uh. I read the OP and it dawned on me.. is charisma not a necessary stat for sorcerors? I thought they gave you extra spells :(

In 3rd ed. charisma is the sorcerer/bard spellcasting stat. In 2nd ed. it is technically intelligence, but I think most the games were bugged where it didn't actually check this.

If you're playing BG2 why the gently caress are you playing any character with 18 charisma? There's a ring you get very early in the game that sets your charisma to 18.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

flowinprose posted:

In 3rd ed. charisma is the sorcerer/bard spellcasting stat. In 2nd ed. it is technically intelligence, but I think most the games were bugged where it didn't actually check this.

If you're playing BG2 why the gently caress are you playing any character with 18 charisma? There's a ring you get very early in the game that sets your charisma to 18.

So long since I played this game. Bought it on the steam sale, re-rolled a dude until he had crazy stats. Not that it apparently means anything :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

flowinprose posted:

Saving yourself the hassle of switching that ring on and off. I usually swing an innate 18 CHA no problem.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ugh. Well okay, probably going to skip out on this dude and roll a new one. I'm thinking barbarian. Or is there a class combo that is just the funnest to play with? I read somewhere that a sorc/kensai could be pretty cool. Going to take him from level one to bg2 and onwards.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sorcerer can neither multiclass or dual class. You're thinking of the Kensai/Mage dual class but I really cannot recommend it if this is your first run of the game, or if you don't know the game systems very well. A Ranger/Cleric multiclass is easy to use and incredibly effective.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Affi posted:

Sorcerer has no need for any stats.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah with a sorc you might as well roll 18 str 18 dex 16 con.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Edit: apparently I can't read. :downs:

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 26, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Factor_VIII posted:

Yes. He will leave. Just use a cheat to move to the city and then come back. Here are the area codes.

Good to know, thank you.

edit: I am going to try to make it back to Athkatla without cheating, but I have no idea how long going through the underdark takes so I guess we will see what happens :v: (I made it through the Sahaguin city pretty quick).

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

VisAbsoluta posted:

When should I dual class with a Ranger/Cleric and which one should I start as?

MULTIclass, not dual class.