Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I haven't personally heard their Prime line before - in the past I've been pleased with the Punch series though. Fosgate's own website claims the Prime lineup is intended to be a stock replacement instead of a meaningful upgrade, and several of the reviews seem to agree that they're not much better than stock. And the Prime speakers you linked have :20bux: shipping. :stare:

For the ~$50 price point, you can't go wrong with Pioneer or RF Punch. And remember you're getting a pair of speakers for that price, not a single speaker.

e: if you're doing all 4 speakers, you can get away with putting cheap speakers in the rear (such as those Primes). The fronts are what you mainly hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

some texas redneck posted:

I haven't personally heard their Prime line before - in the past I've been pleased with the Punch series though. Fosgate's own website claims the Prime lineup is intended to be a stock replacement instead of a meaningful upgrade, and several of the reviews seem to agree that they're not much better than stock. And the Prime speakers you linked have :20bux: shipping. :stare:

For the ~$50 price point, you can't go wrong with Pioneer or RF Punch. And remember you're getting a pair of speakers for that price, not a single speaker.

e: if you're doing all 4 speakers, you can get away with putting cheap speakers in the rear (such as those Primes). The fronts are what you mainly hear.

Cool. Thanks for all the help guys. Any ideas for old stock looking headers?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm using Rockford Fosgate Punch speakers in my car, and I'm quite happy with them. They are about a billion times better sounding than the stock speakers were.

I am using discrete tweeters though, since the location in the doors is extremely low, and the car was already set up in the doors for the tweeters. Also, I have subwoofers which make an enormous difference since I don't have to try to make a pair of 5-1/4" coaxials reproduce bass.

They sound perfectly clear to my ears (i.e. no distortion, popping, etc.) right up to volume levels where my ears start telling me (via the sensory input known as pain) that I'm an idiot, and other drivers near me start rolling up their windows and/or flipping me off if my windows are down.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

Cool. Thanks for all the help guys. Any ideas for old stock looking headers?

Pretty much every aftermarket single DIN head unit is going to look like it's stuck in a rave from 1999. There are some very nice double DIN units out there, but they're a bit pricey.. and being a 93 Ford, you probably have a single DIN opening.

I personally think Alpine has kept their stuff a little more low key, but they tend to be a little more costly than Pioneer or Kenwood (those are the 3 brands I trust when it comes to head units, though I've also used Clarion and JVC in the distant past). If it's a break-in you're worried about, make sure to always take the face plate with you (and don't get a stereo without a detachable face plate). If it's just the looks, look for something that allows you to set the color for the LCD and buttons - setting both to the same color helps reduce the distraction.

FWIW, the lower end Pioneer stereos don't dim automatically with the head lights, which I found to be really annoying.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FWIW, the lower end Pioneer stereos don't dim automatically with the head lights, which I found to be really annoying.

I don't know what automatic lights are anymore. Is that when it gets dark and I pull the switch so I can see more :haw:?

I just love the bone-stock look too much to really want to change it, but the tape deck sounds so bad to me. I kinda like this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

What I meant is a lot of low end Pioneer stereos lack the wire that ties them into the parking/dash lighting circuit - so when you flip on the lights, they don't dim on their own.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
2006 infiniti g35 coupe.

Are there any aftermarket double din radio install kits that look as close to OEM as possible? I know the whole hvac control panel has to be replaced, but the ones from metra look cheap and I like my turn knob for the temperature adjustment.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
I have a 2010 Toyota Tacoma that I want to put a new headunit into. I really want something Android based, that will interface with the steering controls, which I can tether to my phone if I want data. I've seen a few things on Ebay which seem rather shady and Crutchfield is showing up blank in the Android department.

Has anyone run one of the mystery Ebay units? Any recommendations?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Use Amazon.com. Just find the right size DIN that you need, any wiring adapters you may need, bezels, etc, from Crutchfield. Then find the same type head unit on Amazon only choose one that has Android compatibility.

Alternately, just find a head unit with an Aux-input on it and use that, instead.

My question:

I just bought a line out converter to put into my 2006 Dodge Charger. I want to add more power to the 8" factory sub, and then when I hear that the sub sounds like poop I'll have no choice but to buy a better infinite baffle 8" sub. But, my question is:

How can I remotely power the amplifier that I attach to this LOC? I assume I cannot? The battery is in the trunk of these cars. If I cannot remotely power the amp, do I have to worry about the amp draining my battery when I'm in bed at night? (I have a simple boat/marine on-off switch I could potentially wire into the amp's power, but I would really rather not)

Also, if anyone else knows the answer to this second question, I'll love you forever:

I've put some nice speakers to replace all of the factory poop that was in the car. The sound is dramatically improved. I still have the factory head unit, and I want to keep it, as it's a double-din with stupid button knobs built into the bezel. Assuming I have not yet added an amp to power the sub, here is what happens:

The volume knob goes up to 36. I can crank it literally all the way, and if my source is a CD, or other loss-less audio, it's actually quite clear and sounds 'good'. The problem is, the stupid loving factory amp digitally controls the power signal it sends to the speakers. If I turn the volume up past 30-31, the rear speakers, including the sub, literally stop putting out music. I can correct for this if I fade the sound to the rear 4 or 5 units (out of a possible 10 units on the fader). Then, the sound almost never stops from the rear.

Is there anyway I can stop this from happening? I assume it happens because the amp is putting out too much power and it's an overheating-protection feature, but gently caress that poo poo. It sucks and it pisses me off. I'll be in the middle of jamming out and the goddamn rear speakers + sub stop working.

I work at a place that can literally take apart and calibrate electronics, so if anyone has a very technical answer on how I could do this internally to the amp itself, that's also possible.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

My guess (and this is purely a guess) is that you are exceeding the stability of the rear amp, so it's protection circuits are kicking in and shutting it down to keep it from dying.

Without knowing the amplifier specs, it's impossible to know for sure.

Let's go into pretend-land for a minute, and discuss hypothetical's. In pretend land, you have an amplifier that is stable down to 4 ohms, but your speakers are a nominal 2 ohm load. At lower volumes, this isn't really a big deal, but as you start pushing the amplifier, it's little electronic brain says "hey, this hurts!" and a protection circuit kicks in and shuts down the power stage (or cuts the input, or something).

The point where the protection kicks in is variable also, since the impedance of speakers isn't actually the value that's printed on the 'specs' for that speaker. In reality, the performance of a speaker looks something like this:

Note: You'll rarely ever find these charts unless you are buying fairly pricey speakers, which means the real chart for your $70 speakers is probably a LOT messier and less smooth than this one is. This particular chart is for a Rockford sub.

Notice that as the speakers reproduce different frequencies, the actual impedance varies. It varies a lot. This is why the protection on an amplifier may kick in on one song at '30' on the volume, and on a different song be fine up to '34' or something.

In reality, we don't know what impedance your amplifier is rated to be stable down to, so we really have no clue if this is the problem, but based on the minimal description you've given, my bet is that you are exceeding the limits of the amplifiers stability rating.

One way to test this would be to throw in some 8 ohm or 4 ohm speakers (or for testing, add an extra pair of the same speakers wired to give you a 4 ohm load) and see if the same thing happened, at the same volume levels, or if it stops happening at all.

Edit: re-looked at the speakers you got. The 3-1/2" speakers are 4 ohm, and the 6 x 9 speakers are 2 ohm. If you have a single integrated amplifier running everything, you could be running into a load imbalance problem also, depending on how good the amplifier separates out the discrete channels (lots of cheaper amplifiers share a lot of stuff between channels).

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 21, 2013

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

The Locator posted:

My guess (and this is purely a guess) is that you are exceeding the stability of the rear amp, so it's protection circuits are kicking in and shutting it down to keep it from dying.

Without knowing the amplifier specs, it's impossible to know for sure.

Let's go into pretend-land for a minute, and discuss hypothetical's. In pretend land, you have an amplifier that is stable down to 4 ohms, but your speakers are a nominal 2 ohm load. At lower volumes, this isn't really a big deal, but as you start pushing the amplifier, it's little electronic brain says "hey, this hurts!" and a protection circuit kicks in and shuts down the power stage (or cuts the input, or something).

The point where the protection kicks in is variable also, since the impedance of speakers isn't actually the value that's printed on the 'specs' for that speaker. In reality, the performance of a speaker looks something like this:

Note: You'll rarely ever find these charts unless you are buying fairly pricey speakers, which means the real chart for your $70 speakers is probably a LOT messier and less smooth than this one is. This particular chart is for a Rockford sub.

Notice that as the speakers reproduce different frequencies, the actual impedance varies. It varies a lot. This is why the protection on an amplifier may kick in on one song at '30' on the volume, and on a different song be fine up to '34' or something.

In reality, we don't know what impedance your amplifier is rated to be stable down to, so we really have no clue if this is the problem, but based on the minimal description you've given, my bet is that you are exceeding the limits of the amplifiers stability rating.

One way to test this would be to throw in some 8 ohm or 4 ohm speakers (or for testing, add an extra pair of the same speakers wired to give you a 4 ohm load) and see if the same thing happened, at the same volume levels, or if it stops happening at all.

Edit: re-looked at the speakers you got. The 3-1/2" speakers are 4 ohm, and the 6 x 9 speakers are 2 ohm. If you have a single integrated amplifier running everything, you could be running into a load imbalance problem also, depending on how good the amplifier separates out the discrete channels (lots of cheaper amplifiers share a lot of stuff between channels).

Okay, could one possible solution be to rewire the 6x9's to 4 ohm or the 3.5's to 4 ohms? Otherwise your response is pretty helpful. I know I need a better amp, but the solutions are not good without spending a lot of money to get rid of the stupid factory amp.

edit: Also what is that graph called, so that I know what to look for when buying speakers in the future?

johnny sack fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 21, 2013

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

johnny sack posted:

Okay, could one possible solution be to rewire the 6x9's to 4 ohm or the 3.5's to 4 ohms? Otherwise your response is pretty helpful. I know I need a better amp, but the solutions are not good without spending a lot of money to get rid of the stupid factory amp.

edit: Also what is that graph called, so that I know what to look for when buying speakers in the future?

Unless the speaker is a multiple voice coil speaker, which is something you only find on subwoofers, the impedance is set. The only way to change the impedance is by wiring multiple speakers on the same channel in series or parallel, depending on which way you want the impedance to change - two 4 ohm speakers can give either an 8 ohm (series) or 2 ohm (parallel) load on a single channel.

Depending on where you bought the speakers, maybe see if you can exchange them for a similar model with different impedance?

The graph is just something that some manufacturers put on their Thiele-Small Specification sheet. Again, this is probably not something you will be able to find for your typical speakers, so I wouldn't really worry about it. All you really need to know is the nominal impedance, power handling, and frequency response.

Thiele-Small specifications look like this:

Fs (Hz): 22.0
Re (Ohms): 3.30
Le (mH): 3.6
Qts: 0.58
Qes: 0.63
Qms: 7.00
Cms (m/N): 0.16
Vas (L): 141.0
Mms (g): 337.0
Mmd (g): 324.2
Rms (kg/s): 6.5
Airload (g): 12.8
No (%): 0.25
SPL (dB - 1W/1M): 86.0
BL (T*M): 15.9
*Xmax 10 (mm): 16.2
Sd (cm2): 790
EBP: 35
Krm (mOhms): 2.52
Erm: 1.07
Kxm (mH): 113.5
Exm: 0.61
Rem (Ohms): 29.20

These are cool acronyms and numbers that are probably very useful to audio engineers for something. :science:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

DocCynical posted:

I have a 2010 Toyota Tacoma that I want to put a new headunit into. I really want something Android based, that will interface with the steering controls, which I can tether to my phone if I want data. I've seen a few things on Ebay which seem rather shady and Crutchfield is showing up blank in the Android department.

Has anyone run one of the mystery Ebay units? Any recommendations?

All the Android-based units I've researched have been reviewed as garbage. I have no first hand experience, though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Locator posted:

Thiele-Small specifications look like this:

Fs (Hz): 22.0
Re (Ohms): 3.30
Le (mH): 3.6
Qts: 0.58
Qes: 0.63
Qms: 7.00
Cms (m/N): 0.16
Vas (L): 141.0
Mms (g): 337.0
Mmd (g): 324.2
Rms (kg/s): 6.5
Airload (g): 12.8
No (%): 0.25
SPL (dB - 1W/1M): 86.0
BL (T*M): 15.9
*Xmax 10 (mm): 16.2
Sd (cm2): 790
EBP: 35
Krm (mOhms): 2.52
Erm: 1.07
Kxm (mH): 113.5
Exm: 0.61
Rem (Ohms): 29.20

These are cool acronyms and numbers that are probably very useful to audio engineers for something. :science:

I only know a couple of these, but the whole deal is actually really nice to know if you're building a subwoofer or something. You can get software that takes all of these parameters and tells you exactly how big your box needs to be and what kind of frequency response you can expect, depending on whether you're making a sealed, ported or bandpass enclosure.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

johnny sack posted:

How can I remotely power the amplifier that I attach to this LOC? I assume I cannot? The battery is in the trunk of these cars. If I cannot remotely power the amp, do I have to worry about the amp draining my battery when I'm in bed at night? (I have a simple boat/marine on-off switch I could potentially wire into the amp's power, but I would really rather not)

Aftermarket amps have 3 battery-related connections.

One is +12V from the battery - this needs to be a fairly beefy cable, and should be fused as close to the battery as possible.
One is -12V - you connect it to the nearest bolt/sheet metal/etc
The last is "remote" - normally, this is connected to the head unit; the head unit will send +12V on that wire whenever it's on. The amp will only turn on when it has power on this wire. Factory head units often don't have a connection for this.

I used a line out converter on my car, also with the battery in the trunk, also with the factory head unit. The battery wiring is what you'd expect (one wire to the battery, fused; one to the body for ground). For the remote, I tapped into the power feed for the rear lighter/power socket. On my car, the rear outlet only has power when the accessory circuit is powered (oddly, the front outlet is always hot), so the remote lead got spliced into the + wire for the socket. I pulled wire under the back seat and rear carpet, pulling it into the center console (which is where the rear power socket lives). It's not elegant, but it works, and the amp turns on/off with the car.

The downside to this is you may hear a pop when turning the stereo on/off, since the amp will be on whenever the car is on. I didn't run into that on my current car, but I have run into it on others.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 21, 2013

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Aftermarket amps have 3 battery-related connections.

One is +12V from the battery - this needs to be a fairly beefy cable, and should be fused as close to the battery as possible.
One is -12V - you connect it to the nearest bolt/sheet metal/etc
The last is "remote" - normally, this is connected to the head unit; the head unit will send +12V on that wire whenever it's on. The amp will only turn on when it has power on this wire. Factory head units often don't have a connection for this.

I used a line out converter on my car, also with the battery in the trunk, also with the factory head unit. The battery wiring is what you'd expect (one wire to the battery, fused; one to the body for ground). For the remote, I tapped into the power feed for the rear lighter/power socket. On my car, the rear outlet only has power when the accessory circuit is powered (oddly, the front outlet is always hot), so the remote lead got spliced into the + wire for the socket. I pulled wire under the back seat and rear carpet, pulling it into the center console (which is where the rear power socket lives). It's not elegant, but it works, and the amp turns on/off with the car.

The downside to this is you may hear a pop when turning the stereo on/off, since the amp will be on whenever the car is on. I didn't run into that on my current car, but I have run into it on others.

Yea that sounds like a major pain in the rear end. Can you run the remote wire to the battery as well? Or will that then drain the battery?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

johnny sack posted:

Yea that sounds like a major pain in the rear end. Can you run the remote wire to the battery as well? Or will that then drain the battery?

If you do that the amp will always be on. Always. So, yeah....it's gonna kill your battery.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
You can either:
-Get an LOC that provides a remote lead
-Get an amp that that turns on when it senses speaker signal
-Wire the remote lead to an accessory circuit
-Wire the remote lead to 12v and a toggle switch

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it helps, those remote power leads tend to be super tiny—it's easy to do a half rear end a run through the car and still have it pretty much unnoticeable.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
Okay my dad says he will buy me $200-$250 worth of car audio. I want bass, and good sound. Preferably more bass because I'm a senior in high school and it's cool.

What do I get?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Jensen. Or Sony Xplod. Its always a Fiero Jensen.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

West SAAB Story posted:

Jensen. Or Sony Xplod. Its always a Fiero Jensen.

You spelled Pyle weird.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Wasabi the J posted:

You spelled Pyle weird.

They make more than home audio equipment now!? :holymoley:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

rscott posted:

I'm getting some static using the AUX in on the head unit I just installed when my phone is plugged in to the cigarette lighter charger. I guess I should start checking grounds?

Go buy a ground loop isolator and install it. Cigarette lighters have the shittiest grounds imaginable, and that's feeding right in to your audio when you have it plugged in.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

numbs posted:

Okay my dad says he will buy me $200-$250 worth of car audio. I want bass, and good sound. Preferably more bass because I'm a senior in high school and it's cool.

What do I get?

Do you already have a head unit? Or do you need one?

Walmart used to have Sony Xplod sets that came with a head unit, small amp, and small 10inch sub for like $150,which would leave you room for a box and wiring kit.

Keep in mind you aren't going to win any competitions, or really impress anyone, but it's a way to start.

Or troll craigslist.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I bought a Pioneer DEH-X6600BT for my wife to replace her 10 year old DEH1500. We don't have the removal tools for the old one but for some reason the tools that came with the new one don't seem to go in far enough to trigger the mechanism. I tried sticking a couple thin allen wrenches in the groove but that didn't seem to help either.

I found these on ebay and they look like they're longer than the ones I'm trying to use. Any other household items I can try to jam in there before I spend any more money?

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

two_beer_bishes posted:

I bought a Pioneer DEH-X6600BT for my wife to replace her 10 year old DEH1500. We don't have the removal tools for the old one but for some reason the tools that came with the new one don't seem to go in far enough to trigger the mechanism. I tried sticking a couple thin allen wrenches in the groove but that didn't seem to help either.

I found these on ebay and they look like they're longer than the ones I'm trying to use. Any other household items I can try to jam in there before I spend any more money?

1. Try a butter knife

2. If you have a car audio shop in town (not best buy), go there with the car and ask them if they can do it for you. Typically they will because it takes 2 minutes.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

JackRabbitStorm posted:

1. Try a butter knife

2. If you have a car audio shop in town (not best buy), go there with the car and ask them if they can do it for you. Typically they will because it takes 2 minutes.

Worth a shot, thanks!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So my sister drives a 98 Lexus es300. As you can see, some of the lcd elements have leaked and blecked out the display. She's just been dealing with it for years, but I thought I'd try and install the head unit from my Blazer, a Kenwood kdc x496.

Crutchfield, at least on mobile, only says "the car will need to be modified". How hard would it be to install a single din reciever in this car? It has a disc changer, so I'd like to keep that if possible; there's a round serial port on the Kenwood, so hopefully that's fairly straightforward.

Crutchfield is closed today, or I'd just call them and ask , but I'd like some goon input as well.

Effulgence
Jun 10, 2006

n. a brilliant radiance
Looking for a purchasing suggestion. I've done an hour or two of research on purchasing a new head-unit but they all seem to focus on features and number of shades of light they can display rather than the sound quality aspect I'm wondering about.

I drive a Lotus Elise which when I purchased I switched out the stock tin can speakers for JL Audio C2 series 5.25" fronts and 6.5" backs. The sound quality increase was obviously great, but I always read that replacing the stock Blaupunkt unit would give perhaps even bigger gains. I installed the aux cable package and was happy using this until recently. After getting a Chromecast and streaming all my laptop video to my TV, it seems silly to be using a cord in a cramped little sports car to listen to music, so I want to go Bluetooth.

The clear solution here is to axe my sometimes flaky aux cord and Blaupunkt head unit and get a bluetooth enabled one. Crutchfield brings up 40 solutions for me, most of which hover in the $200 range. I do absolutely love music, so I want to take this time to choose a unit that will also give me the best sounding audio if even for a price premium. (I am morally opposed to installing any extra weight or audio wizardry in this car because its just not its purpose)

The headunits don't really seem to say much about sound quality. I'm assuming "it doesn't really matter" which unit I pick out of the link below, I just wanted to confirm with ya'll and see if you have any suggestions, insight or perhaps other solutions that Crutchfield doesn't list. Is the $350 Pioneer with "audiophile-grade components" actually any different, or would I be just as happy with the $230 Kenwood Excelon? Your replies are all much appreciated!

Here's the Crutchfield link to my car. http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/All-Car-Stereos.html?o=d&nvpair=FFBluetooth_Audio_Streaming%7cBuilt-in

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Fucknag posted:

So my sister drives a 98 Lexus es300. As you can see, some of the lcd elements have leaked and blecked out the display. She's just been dealing with it for years, but I thought I'd try and install the head unit from my Blazer, a Kenwood kdc x496.

Crutchfield, at least on mobile, only says "the car will need to be modified". How hard would it be to install a single din reciever in this car? It has a disc changer, so I'd like to keep that if possible; there's a round serial port on the Kenwood, so hopefully that's fairly straightforward.

Crutchfield is closed today, or I'd just call them and ask , but I'd like some goon input as well.

Enjoy http://m.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210521&styleid=13

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not a link to your car, just a link to every head unit Crutchfield has with BT, sorted highest to lowest price. :colbert:

To be honest, any of the big 3 (Alpine, Kenwood, or Pioneer) will work just fine, and likely sound a bit better. Clarion's also decent in my experience, though they seem to mostly focus on OEM stuff now. Avoid the super cheap (<$100) stuff, avoid Dual, avoid Jensen, avoid brands you haven't heard of. IMO Sony head units are pretty crappy too.

Fucknag posted:

It's basically a top of the line V6 Camry from the same model year, with a Lexus badge, nicer paint, and a nicer dash.

It's a straightforward swap, you'll need a harness and mounting kit as long as it doesn't have the premium stereo (it would either say Lexus Premium and/or Nakamichi on the stereo if it did - that looks like the mainstream Lexus/Pioneer stereo).

The changer is a Pioneer unit, you won't get it working with a Kenwood. But who the gently caress uses a trunk CD changer today anyway? :staredog: Hand her a $2 aux cable when you're done, show her how to load music onto her phone, and call it a day.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 26, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So I'm replacing the headunit in my GMC, and I want to redo the horrible mess of wiring that has patch jobs dating back to at least 1990, if not older. There's no such thing as a "factory wiring harness" for this thing since the factory setup had one dinky speaker in the center of the dash, while I'm using door-mounted speakers.

Currently, I have the head unit's harness hardwired into the various appropriate wires on the truck, but I'd rather move it to some form of pluggable harness so that if I ever replace the head unit again, I don't have to rewire the thing yet again. Is there any sort of generic replacement for the car-side of the wiring harness, so I can just hardwire a female receptacle in there?

And of course as soon as I finish this post I decide to pull up Metra's site. Is one of these harnesses basically what I'm looking for to provide the car-side connector? Just need to find the smallest / simplest looking one...

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 30, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't you have to solder the new head unit's plug thing to a new vehicle harness if you switched out anyway? Otherwise I wouldn't think the harness would matter as long as it has everything you need since they're fairly straightforward. Have you considered just using a bunch of bullet connectors and labels?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's approximately zero space to work in behind the dash on this truck, and it would make the difference between having to redo all of those crimps on ever-shorter wires in that limited space, or being able to do that work once and only have to re-crimp the adapter harness, which can be easily put together anywhere else and just plugged in.

I'm half tempted to do a late-model Ford reverse harness just so I can swap head units easily between my Ranger and my GMC if I ever get the urge to.

Ideally I'd also be able to easily buy some lengths of the aftermarket-color-coded wire to run new wires for the speakers, constant 12V, and keyed 12V since all of those have some questionable-at-best splicing going on.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 30, 2013

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Edit: found the answers to my questions elsewhere!

Shoren fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 4, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm trying to update the Bluetooth module on my Alpine CDE-W235EBT head unit.

I'm using a HP laptop running Windows 7. It has an inbuilt Bluetooth receiver in it.

The laptop recognises the Alpine unit, but can't find any drivers on Windows Update. The head unit eventually disconnects after flashing "Connecting" for 30 seconds.

I can't find anything on the net about Alpine Bluetooth drivers for Windows.

Has anyone here tried to update their CDE series of head units with any success?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

IOwnCalculus posted:

So I'm replacing the headunit in my GMC, and I want to redo the horrible mess of wiring that has patch jobs dating back to at least 1990, if not older. There's no such thing as a "factory wiring harness" for this thing since the factory setup had one dinky speaker in the center of the dash, while I'm using door-mounted speakers.

Currently, I have the head unit's harness hardwired into the various appropriate wires on the truck, but I'd rather move it to some form of pluggable harness so that if I ever replace the head unit again, I don't have to rewire the thing yet again. Is there any sort of generic replacement for the car-side of the wiring harness, so I can just hardwire a female receptacle in there?

And of course as soon as I finish this post I decide to pull up Metra's site. Is one of these harnesses basically what I'm looking for to provide the car-side connector? Just need to find the smallest / simplest looking one...

Yup. Just wire your speakers to the harness of your choice and then buy the adapter harness for your radio to the stock harness you installed. Just make sure the one you choose has the appropriate wires for however many speakers you have installed.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I am trying to replace the paper pushers my 1996 Honda Prelude came with. I picked up a pair of Polk DXI651's and they sound immediately better, but I'm having a fitment problem. My car's rear speaker mounts have the triangular 3 screw holes for the speakers to mount to, and the DXI651 has 4 screw holes, unless I use the spacer that they came with. Problem with that is the spacer looks like poo poo on top of the mount and I can't put a grill on. Should I just return the Polks and get something that has the right screw holes, or is there anything wrong with leaving the grill off (aside from looking extremely ghetto?) Or is there another reason I should return the Polks (if they're lovely speakers for example.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Could you get a photo? Is it possible to just drill mounting holes where you need them?