Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Swapped out Hawlucha since I was needing a bit of Dark type.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-73862722

WARNING: Enemy team contains MAXIMUM EDGINESS for their names

EDIT: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-73867922

Breloom is so nasty! What the heck, I had no idea he could sweep up so easily.

Two rage quits in a row:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-73885099

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-73883008

Boo! The first guy still had a chance, too. Aegislash would've messed me up completely.
Can someone tell me: if I use Sabeleye's Prankster WoW to burn Gliscor, will Toxic Orb overwrite it with Toxic anyway? Is there any way to prevent Toxic Orb from working at all?

EDIT:
Looks like:
Power Up Punch
Spore
Mach Punch
Bullet Seed

BLUNDERCATS! noooo fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

What set was he running?? I'm on my phone and can't see

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
This guy wasn't very appreciative of Taunt.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-73885774

I've played Showdown for a while, but lately people have been hella salty. Have I just avoided them all until now?

Can someone tell me: if I use Sabeleye's Prankster WoW to burn Gliscor, will Toxic Orb overwrite it with Toxic anyway? Is there any way to prevent Toxic Orb from working at all?

Toxic Orb activates at the end of the turn, and it does not override other status. You can burn him if you're head-to-head and it hasn't activated yet, or you can burn him on the switch if Gliscor has yet to be played. Regardless, most Gliscor carry Protect, so if you don't burn him on a switch, he usually gets toxic'd anyways.

Immer fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 1, 2014

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
I just figured out that you can change a Pokemon's markings just by tapping them on the Summary screen. Going to the PC isn't necessary. This might be common knowledge, but it saves enough time that I thought I'd post it in case there are others who didn't know this.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Immer posted:

I've played Showdown for a while, but lately people have been hella salty. Have I just avoided them all until now?

Man, my time playing Mobas has clearly affected my definition of salty. That looked pretty tame!

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

Sorry, maybe that wasn't the best example as he wasn't too mad, but my opponents have been argumentative as hell lately. Before this week most of my opponents have been pretty cool.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Boo! The first guy still had a chance, too. Aegislash would've messed me up completely.

Since you were running scarf rotom all you really needed to do was sac Xatu and then trick your scarf onto his aegislash at some point, since he's probably running SD/KS aegislash.

As long as he wasn't smart enough to lock himself into shadow sneak with enough attack boosts you win.

On the second battle you got pretty lucky on the toxic miss since toxic poison really hampers a sableye's ability to stall things (although not significantly in reality). Against most gliscors the safe move there is to taunt, since most gliscor EQ's will not OHKO.

Immer posted:

Yeah I've seen much worse. Also I'm surprised you kept switching out against his Smeargle after you broke its sash. CB Scizor Bullet Punch is an ohko on things way bulkier than smeargle.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-73895433

Arceus is the best sleep fodder :3:.

How was Breloom not getting hit by Rough Skin? I thought Sand Veil/Snow Cloak was still banned on OU?

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 1, 2014

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Huge Liability posted:

I just figured out that you can change a Pokemon's markings just by tapping them on the Summary screen. Going to the PC isn't necessary. This might be common knowledge, but it saves enough time that I thought I'd post it in case there are others who didn't know this.

This is useful news to me!

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Is there any way of being notified if someone has added your friend code but you haven't added theirs?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Not exactly an impressive replay, but I wanted to laugh at missing three Will-o-Wisps (one of which would have made that whole thing much easier but whatever). I was going to put the bird back in to get the extra Intimidate off but I realized I might need him around later and it wasn't worth getting predicted into a Stone Edge.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-73900029

If anyone has any recommendations for things to replace Steelix, I'm all ears. I need something to phaze and I love the dude but he just doesn't soak attacks that well and his attacking options pretty much suck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

Not exactly an impressive replay, but I wanted to laugh at missing three Will-o-Wisps (one of which would have made that whole thing much easier but whatever). I was going to put the bird back in to get the extra Intimidate off but I realized I might need him around later and it wasn't worth getting predicted into a Stone Edge.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-73900029

If anyone has any recommendations for things to replace Steelix, I'm all ears. I need something to phaze and I love the dude but he just doesn't soak attacks that well and his attacking options pretty much suck.

Vaporeon and Skarmory are my go-to Phazers. I'm surprised you didn't go for a knock off on ninjask, but I guess some ninjasks do carry X-Scissor.

EDIT: Also, Hippowdon is a pretty good Phazer if you want that electric immunity that steelix has.

Also:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-73900183

This guy is more mad about my team than I am mad about teambuilder giving me a pressure Ho-oh! Also complaining about hax when he got a crit gyro ball yup.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 1, 2014

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-73897742

This was my only win of the night and while fun I could have played it so much better... I feel like I need something on my team but I'm not sure what.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Zoness posted:

Vaporeon and Skarmory are my go-to Phazers. I'm surprised you didn't go for a knock off on ninjask, but I guess some ninjasks do carry X-Scissor.

I have a newbie question: What is Phazing?

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

Huge Liability posted:

Psuedo-hazing: you force the opponent out to get rid of their stat boosts using Roar, Whirlwind, Dragon Tail, etc, as opposed to using Haze.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Huge Liability posted:

Moves that forces the opponent to switch. It's called Phazing, which means Psuendo Hazing because they remove stat bonuses like Haze.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Let's be real though, "Lord Satan" is about the best nickname there is.
I'd prefer Stan. :v:

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 1, 2014

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I built this team on PS. I'm getting about a 1:1 win/loss ratio with it. I was hoping someone could give me some feedback as to what I could do to do better.

code:
Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

Noivern @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse
- U-turn

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Sticky Web
- Giga Drain

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Slide

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
Ideally, I would like to keep Ferrothorn and Starmie as I feel like they do everything they need to do fantastically, as well as compliment eachother's style. Galvantula is generally my lead to get Sticky Web out/force a switch. He also seconds as a Special Attack Powerhouse, falling behind Noivern whom is more designated to that role. Dugtrio plays a great role revenge killer. And Venusaur is my go-to-guy for stopping momentum.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Immer posted:

Psuedo-hazing: you force the opponent out to get rid of their stat boosts using Roar, Whirlwind, Dragon Tail, etc, as opposed to using Haze.

SkinCrawling posted:

Moves that forces the opponent to switch. It's called Phazing, which means Psuendo Hazing because they remove stat bonuses like Haze.

Thanks, that makes sense. I guess I already do that with Skarmory.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Unbound posted:

I built this team on PS. I'm getting about a 1:1 win/loss ratio with it. I was hoping someone could give me some feedback as to what I could do to do better.

code:
Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

Noivern @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse
- U-turn

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Sticky Web
- Giga Drain
Ideally, I would like to keep Ferrothorn and Starmie as I feel like they do everything they need to do fantastically, as well as compliment eachother's style. Galvantula is generally my lead to get Sticky Web out/force a switch. He also seconds as a Special Attack Powerhouse, falling behind Noivern whom is more designated to that role. Dugtrio plays a great role revenge killer. And Venusaur is my go-to-guy for stopping momentum.

Scarf Analytic Starmie with Rapid Spin makes no sense - it hinders its ability to Spin because Starmie's designed to punish Spinblocker switch-ins. Life Orb is really the only reasonable item to put on a Starmie. Starmie also misses out on some important OHKOs and 2HKOs if it uses a scarf because of the damage loss compared to Life Orb.

Bulky Noivern is also a poor set - even with 252 HP it's not surviving a stiff breeze and it also lacks the ability to really threaten anything. Specs sets (with or without switcheroo) are generally stronger.

Rocky Helmet is on the weak side on Ferrothorn now too since you're not using it to punish M-Kangas and the recovery of leftovers tends to be more useful. I'm not a fan of spikes on Ferrothorn - Power Whip gives you a lot more crucial 2HKO's and he lacks innate recovery if he can't stick a leech seed. Given the prevalence of Talonflame I think Forretress is a better Steel-type hazard setter than Ferrothorn in OU since it can actually kill Talonflame thanks to Sturdy and it can also spin.

Sticky Web Galvantula leads generally use Sash, because they're threatened pretty severely by Talonflame otherwise. Also Volt Switch is really good on Galvantula.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 1, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Do pokemon who gain xp from the exp share get EVs like before, or do they actually have to take part in battle with the new exp share?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Two rage quits in a row:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-73883008

I just watched this one again and him not earthquaking Rotom-W gave me a chuckle.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Blhue posted:

Do pokemon who gain xp from the exp share get EVs like before, or do they actually have to take part in battle with the new exp share?

They gain EVs as normal.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zoness posted:

I just watched this one again and him not earthquaking Rotom-W gave me a chuckle.
What's funny about it? I wouldn't have earthquaked Rotom-W either. It has Levitate, right?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nihilarian posted:

What's funny about it? I wouldn't have earthquaked Rotom-W either. It has Levitate, right?

Mold Breaker.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zoness posted:

Mold Breaker.
Oh yeah.

... In my defense, I'm not a fan of Mega Gyarados.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rafzakael posted:

They gain EVs as normal.

Neato. Thanks.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nihilarian posted:

Oh yeah.

... In my defense, I'm not a fan of Mega Gyarados.

I pay attention to it in particular because Gyaradosite is one of the cooler mega stones - in that it's also sometimes a great idea to not activate it, turning Gyarados into a 2-mode thing that can kill Rotom-W (and Rotom-H is even worse off) out of nowhere or take all of CharizardY's moves like a champ in the sun while 2HKOing with waterfall.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zoness posted:

I pay attention to it in particular because Gyaradosite is one of the cooler mega stones - in that it's also sometimes a great idea to not activate it, turning Gyarados into a 2-mode thing that can kill Rotom-W (and Rotom-H is even worse off) out of nowhere or take all of CharizardY's moves like a champ in the sun while 2HKOing with waterfall.
Sounds strong.

It just... kinda looks like a jumbo shrimp to me. :shrug:

Took a look at the stats. Was not expecting base 130 Sp. Def.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
I just started playing pokemon x and have only gotten in about six hours. Not really sure how all this trading/battling works online as I've never done it before. Doubt I have anything worthy to trade yet but I'll put my code 1392-5640-3908

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I've won many games on Showdown by simply not activating the mega on Gyarados, mostly because people expect it and go for earthquakes. He's fun to play mind games with!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Immer posted:

"I'm sorry, but you're really annoying."
*Tries to spam spore with Smeargle multiple times.*

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-73936837

And this is why you shouldn't try to geomancy against a phazer.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Sweeping teams with agility Mega-Ampharos never gets old. :toot:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-73931825

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
THE GREATEST USE OF EXPLOSION YOU SHALL EVER SEE!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-73936668

I am a tactical genius! :downs:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Internet Kraken posted:

THE GREATEST USE OF EXPLOSION YOU SHALL EVER SEE!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-73936668

I am a tactical genius! :downs:

You lost to someone who couldn't even make a Naruto team right...

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Looks like everyone has been on a bit of a friend code frenzy lately. None of my friends are ever online, and nobody on Reddit's /r/friendsafari so much as responded to my posts, so I'm going to start adding friend codes going as far back as... this post.

My code: 5198-2539-2476

I'll edit this post when I'm done adding.

Just finished the story, anyone's welcome to add me. 3110-5365-8072

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm in basically the same boat, so... 4768 7629 8819

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Trying to put together some semi-competitive Pokemon for battling with my friends (we're not breeding up perfect IVs, but paying attention to Nature and EVs is what makes things work) and I want to get some more diversity into my lineup. Was hoping people might have some fun suggestions for an environment where things don't have to be 100% optimized.

So far I've got:

Golurk with HP/Attack/Def
Blastoise(MegaEvo) with HP/Def/S.Def
Greninja(Protean) with S.Attack/Speed
Bisharp with Attack/Speed
Gengar(MegaEvo) with S.Attack/Speed (this guy is shiny and timid, best thing I've ever gotten from Wonder trade)
Kangaskhan(MegaEvo) with Attack/Speed

I've got an Absol(MegaEvo), Chesnaught, Aurorus, and Raichu in the wings that I still need to figure out and/or EV train properly, but I want to have about 15 pokemon to pull from total so I can keep things interesting. 90% of the time we're playing in a doubles format with four players, so that might affect suggestions, considering I can only bring 3 pokemon into any given battle and they will not be fighting alongside one another.

Any suggestions of other pokemon, or any off-beat suggestions for movesets for these existing ones would be super cool if anyone wants to help me out. I'm new to EVs and being even vaguely competitive with this gen so I'm just following a lot of 'standard build' guides I can find for pokemon that I think are cool.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Retaliate is a really good move in challenge cup, especially if coming from a normal type. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/challengecup-73952509

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Blhue posted:

I'm in basically the same boat, so... 4768 7629 8819

I added you and everyone else for the last few pages. My FC is still 3566-2487-9854

• Locked thread