Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I have made the trip from upper Wisconsin to north east Ohio a few times in the last few years. In April I did the 14 hour one way trip home then did it back 5 hours later. Only reason I didn't go nuts was because I did it overnight and it saved me from the worst drivers. Hit Rush hour through Ann Arbor though and holy poo poo 90 miles an hour was the average speed with all lanes full. Saw a few cops and they didn't even try to pull anyone over.

Sucks driving through the Upper part of Michigan though. Out of state plates meant cops love to pull you over for anything over the speed limit. But if you ever want to feel alone and empty drive though it after midnight. I have never driven so long without seeing anyone or anything on the road.

Ohio drivers still suck after all these years :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I used to literally halve my fuel consumption tailgating trucks, it's not 1 or 2 mpg.

I do it less now, and I know it's stupidly dangerous so shut your face.

E: just turned off the light in the utility room, the (fancy pants electronic) oven turned itself on at the same time. Weird.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Dear driver in Dodge Charger with Michigan plates on I-77: instead of flying along at 90 in a 65 and slowing down as you pass every interchange, exit, rest stop, overpass and turn-around (or any other place law enforcement might set up a speed trap) you might find it easier to cruise at a more reasonable speed that won't turn you into ticket bait. Your brakes and fuel economy, and more importantly other drivers you are routinely almost rear-ending as you weave through traffic will thank you.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Cakefool posted:

I used to literally halve my fuel consumption tailgating trucks, it's not 1 or 2 mpg.

I do it less now, and I know it's stupidly dangerous so shut your face.

E: just turned off the light in the utility room, the (fancy pants electronic) oven turned itself on at the same time. Weird.

To you and any other person reading this thread; The engine brakes don't turn on the brake lights.

:getin:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

0rganDonor posted:

To you and any other person reading this thread; The engine brakes don't turn on the brake lights.

they did on my buses :\

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I was driving from Chicago to Saginaw, MI today and hit a snow storm on the way. The amount of retards driving in a snow storm with their lights off was appalling. And it's always some fucker in a white or gray car going 20 MPH faster than they should for the road conditions.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just want to give a shout out to the salt truck driver heading south on PA 402. I was heading north, he stopped the flow of salt as we passed each other. Pro.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

FogHelmut posted:

I just want to give a shout out to the salt truck driver heading south on PA 402. I was heading north, he stopped the flow of salt as we passed each other. Pro.

Seriously?

Go buy a loving lotto ticket, I've never seen that poo poo happen.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

0rganDonor posted:

Cakefool posted:

and I know it's stupidly dangerous so shut your face.

For the first time since I've had my own phone number I've not been pestered by midnight texts and phone calls, finally, people are getting the message that I'm a cranky miserable bastard :haw:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

0rganDonor posted:

ijustam posted:

And on every fire truck I've seen.

I think the wiring is a case by case thing and some industries tend to do it while others don't.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Midniter posted:

Oh and one more thing - I could not BELIEVE the distance at which some cars would follow 18-wheelers (and to a lesser extent, other cars). I'm talking five feet behind the underride guard, at 70 miles per hour, for extended amounts of time. Do these people not understand that they are taking their very lives into their hands? It astounds me.
On a motorcycle doing a long trip and it's cold as poo poo? Tailgate that semi and get warm / save your ears for a little.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Motronic posted:

I think the wiring is a case by case thing and some industries tend to do it while others don't.

On the NJ Transit buses I see all the time, I think that engine braking turns on both turn signals with a steady light, but not the actual brake lights.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

ijustam posted:

Motronic posted:

chutwig posted:

On the NJ Transit buses I see all the time, I think that engine braking turns on both turn signals with a steady light, but not the actual brake lights.

It has a lot to do with how the computer is programmed. There are several different dealership settings you can have concerning engine brakes; Disable when cruise is set, Disable when cruise is on but not set, Activate only when brake pedal is depressed, Disable cruise on activation. etc. I set mine to be passive when the cruise is set, but be independent of the service brakes (most trucks today are this way) but a lot of municipalities have it set to be an addition to the service brakes on smaller vehicles. Buses and firetrucks don't carry the weight that a semi-truck does so it can be set to work only when the service brakes are set. If semi-trucks were set like this, you'd see a lot more rocket ships sailing down steep grades.

It's me, I'm the guy you share the road with who has the ability to brake-check you without warning.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3MPKLy9qHU
Cars ramming into the back of trailers.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

0rganDonor posted:

It's me, I'm the guy you share the road with who has the ability to brake-check you without warning.

I can too, since I have a manual transmission, but nowhere near as effectively given my lack of a jake brake :sigh:

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

StormDrain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3MPKLy9qHU
Cars ramming into the back of trailers.

This is terrifying. :stonk:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

0rganDonor posted:

I'm pretty sure the e-brake doesn't light up the brake lights on my Camry. I figured that was common with most cars.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

crimedog posted:

This is terrifying. :stonk:

Running into anything with a car is pretty terrifying once you start to think about all the mass and momentum that's involved.

Really, if you enjoy going over 35mph, stop right now and try to get it out of your head.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ijustam posted:

Freight can't sue the driver and the company for injury, passengers can.

Or 0rgandoner's reply, which has science behind it.

In 'share the road' news, Connecticut just enacted a law that makes leaving snow all over the car into a ticketable offense.
http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Ice-missile-law-launches-Wednesday-5103217.php

So this may mean far fewer tank commanders out there.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

CannonFodder posted:

In 'share the road' news, Connecticut just enacted a law that makes leaving snow all over the car into a ticketable offense.
http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Ice-missile-law-launches-Wednesday-5103217.php

So this may mean far fewer tank commanders out there.

Eh, I doubt it. I've yet to see someone pulled over for it in other states.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Driving home today on I-5 North just past Centralia. I have cruise control locked in at 75 in a 70, keeping right except to pass like a boss. This is working great as I steadily pass a line of cars stacked up in the left lane, with the 2 other lanes completely empty. But I digress.

I eventually come up to an RV in the middle lane, a big one towing a Jeep. I stick to my right lane and pass him, at which point he starts picking up the pace and switches to the far left lane. Every 2 or 3 miles there is a sign saying no trailers or anything over 10,000lbs in the left lane, so that is cool, and also the speed limit is 70 for cars, 60 for trucks but I'm not sure if an RV officially falls under that category. I can see what he is trying to do though, there is a semi truck a little ways up and the RV wants to get alongside me and force me to brake rather than stay ahead of him. At this point I still have plenty of space ahead and behind, so I pick up a little speed and get in the middle lane. I'm briefly doing 80 when he starts to fly by me in the left lane doing at least 85, Jeep swerving back and forth behind him. Awesome. He zooms ahead 1/4 mile and then backs off, which means in a few short minutes my cruise control speed will let me pass him again. This whole sequence of passing and being passed happens another 3 or 4 times.

Now we are getting close to Tacoma and the speed limit drops to 60. He's at least a mile ahead and just cruising in the left lane. But wait, once again, cruising at 5 over catches up to him but in much more traffic. I switch lanes to pass and he switches to block me. I switch back and so does he. WTF. I wait for another car to pull alongside him and switch lanes to pass as well. He pulls out immediately behind me and tailgates me for a few miles, maybe 20 feet off my bumper. I can hear his horn going as he edges closer. There is now 4 lanes of traffic peacefully moving down the road at around 65mph, with the sole exception being a giant RV tailgating a car in the passing lane.

I called the police to report it since I saw cops everywhere. 20 miles later a police car auspiciously merges onto the freeway right next to the RV, but alas, the moment(s) had passed and he wasn't doing anything crazy at the time. No police bust, but he did drive calmly from there on out. Justice?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

CannonFodder posted:

Freight can't sue the driver and the company for injury, passengers can.

Thanks to that Rabbi in Indiana who killed his wife, they can't sue trucks for lopping heads off passengers who rear end truck trailers. I've seen 7 four wheelers vs big truck accidents over the last couple of years same thing, big flashy signs "slow trucks" steep grade, 75 mph zone, RAMMING SPEED! DING DING! DING DING! Last one I saw, a guy rammed a ore train (129,000 pound gold ore side dump double, lit up like a xmas tree with permayellow flashers on the rear end end) so loving hard, his ENGINE was stuck in the rear trailer and they where cutting it out.

http://www.sidedump.com/s3-three-axle-side-dump-trailer.php

Kinda like that one.

What was left of his Toyota....Chevy...GMC...Maybe a Ford? was in the center of the interstate wadding up like a ball with a huge hole where the engine was. Had brand new paperplates from the dealer on it too.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Brigdh posted:

Eh, I doubt it. I've yet to see someone pulled over for it in other states.

Its been illegal in Canada forever and ever and the police still suck at stopping it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Yeah, you can put "failure to clean snow off of car" right up there with other seldom-enforced traffic laws like "improper lane change," "following at an unsafe distance" and "unsafe vehicle modifications." Like all of these, unless not cleaning the snow off of your car leads to an accident it won't get enforced much/at all.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
4 inches of snow overnight, and the interstates haven't been touched at all. What the gently caress, INDOT?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

devmd01 posted:

4 inches of snow overnight, and the interstates haven't been touched at all. What the gently caress, INDOT?

Too busy out getting drunk and laughing at our plight with IDOT.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

devmd01 posted:

They've been brining our roads pretty hard this week in anticipation of SNOWPOCALYPSE 3: SNOWMISER'S REVENGE scheduled for tonight. But once it starts snowing, I don't expect them to do anything until about 8 hours after it has stopped.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I eventually said gently caress it and turned around and went home. I did have a good laugh at the middle-aged guy in an RX-8 creeping along at 20 mph in the right lane though, he looked terrified. Meanwhile, my traction control and abs went into failure mode, so I was having even more fun driving once I got off the interstate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is my first winter with traction control, and while it's pretty nice to get effortless starts when a light goes green (it does make me feel like a lazy bastard though), it loving sucks when I want to goose the throttle for some intentional wheel spin and the car is all "sorry bro, safety first!!"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I saw no crashed cars and made it to work a full half hour early after leaving (I thought) too late to get there on time given the weather. Not really sure how that happened.

Only a few idiots hogging the left lane and maybe 6 people running stealth mode with no lights, too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

0rganDonor posted:

Buses and firetrucks don't carry the weight that a semi-truck does

My 72,300 lb tanker and 78,000 lb ladder truck disagree.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Speaking of fire trucks I saw this on the GRM forums and it scares the poo poo out of me.

Yeah those are portable lifts. I'm assuming the truck is as empty as it can be, but oh man.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Because of the snowstorm set to pound New England today and tomorrow, I decided to take a picture of the corner I live on.

It doesn't look like that bad of a corner, right? Speed limit is 30, I've gone around it at 40 without any problems (in the dry). But someone crashes on it every storm, even a couple in light rain. I didn't realize it until I got inside, but I think you can see tracks where someone slid right around my neighbor's mailbox. Both telephone poles in the shot have been replaced within the past two years. And here's the pole at the end of my driveway from a storm last year:

And my mailbox from 5 years ago:

I don't have any pictures of the cars because they both drove away. Needless to say, it's a very entertaining corner to live on.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Set up a livestream. :allears:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Speaking of fire trucks I saw this on the GRM forums and it scares the poo poo out of me.

Yeah those are portable lifts. I'm assuming the truck is as empty as it can be, but oh man.

Those actually work really well, and it's doubtful that truck was emptied at all (it's a 4-6 hour project in each direction other than just jumping the water tank).

I agree they look scary, but they've been around for years and our service contractor has been using them without a single incident for quite some time.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Are the lifts even linked so they at least run in unison?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bolind posted:

Are the lifts even linked so they at least run in unison?

The ones our company uses are. Beyond just up/down/off....they actually know the height of the other lifts so they stay even.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

xzzy posted:

This is my first winter with traction control, and while it's pretty nice to get effortless starts when a light goes green (it does make me feel like a lazy bastard though), it loving sucks when I want to goose the throttle for some intentional wheel spin and the car is all "sorry bro, safety first!!"

Thank goodness though. I can't imagine what a dick driver I could potentially be if I didn't have to think to myself "this is an appropriate time and place for me to do a little burnout" and then physically push a button to disable traction control. I assume you are able to turn it off in yours?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

InitialDave posted:

I live it when people get wound up that I won't go when waved out, completely ignoring that they are on the inside lane of a dual carriageway, and the outer lane is 1) not properly visible from my position 2) still moving along even though their lane is stationary.

Yes, random stranger, I shall obediently risk an at-fault collision because to do otherwise would show a lack of gratitude for your apparent courtesy and so insult you...

What really sucks is when you have to give way to the right in intersections where neither road/street is a main road/street (i.e everyone coming onto the main road/street has to give way to people already on it), and people have no clue about this, despite it being on of the pillars on which driving (at least here, first thing taught) is based on. So there I have to sit and wait for these retards that give me dumb looks for stopping for them. Last time it happened it was 4 people in a row, from the same street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

xzzy posted:

Really? I have never had any luck with traction control in the snow. It snowed maybe an inch recently and I had to turn off the traction control in my JSW since it was pissing me off. I could drive around OK with it on, but it was much easier to get around without it. Hell, my buddy used to have a e36 328ci that refused to move in the snow with the traction control on, but turn it off and we hooned about all over seattle in it.