Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

dangittj posted:

I've been impressed with the Lego Movie sets as well. Probably going to pick up one or two of them. That spaceship looks fantastic

Has anyone picked up the Curiosity Rover yet? It's on my list for next time I am at a Lego store.

Also, pretty sure I won christmas this year and my wife is just feeding the addiction (excuse the poor lighting)....

Welcome to the club

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

I didn't have much of a list for 2014 until the fall 2014 Star Wars sets was leaked from a Hungarian site the other day.

Now I want:
Benny's Spaceship
Death Star Troopers battle pack
B-Wing fighter (I can finally complete my Rebel Starfighter set!)
Snowspeeder
At-At
Mos Eisley Cantina
Imperial Star Destroyer

Yes, I am a sucker for Star Wars Original Trilogy Legos. Of the last three I will probably only get one this year depending on minifigures and how the sets look but all the other ones are definite purchases.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

PeePot posted:

http://shop.lego.com/en-CA/LEGO-Movie-Poster-Sticker-5002891?_requestid=7924927

I emailed them today to see what they can do for me since I bought it in April.

Let me know what they say, I have had my set for about as long as you have and I would kill to get that sticker for my set. Pretty sure I would have to buy a few spare bricks to stick them on but that is well worth the cost.

Edit: They are going for $10 on E-Bay with shipping, I might jump on that for my movie set.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 3, 2014

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
The new Maersk ship has 134 stickers. http://i.imgur.com/t0UvK8O.jpg insanity.

Those 2H star wars sets are tempting me too, I don't have a B-wing and the Cantina sounds good I think they only did it once before should be a good source for star wars aliens.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Merchant of Death posted:

Mos Eisley Cantina!

Finally!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

You would think that when they have so many identical stickers they would actually print the bricks. I'm assuming they are always placed on the same types of bricks.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Ika posted:

You would think that when they have so many identical stickers they would actually print the bricks. I'm assuming they are always placed on the same types of bricks.

Apparently printing the company name on the bricks would give the company some legal right to them that doesn't happen if they just use stickers. LEGO learned this after that fiasco where OCTAN took over the company.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Holy hell! I'm glad I passed up on building the store model of that set. Applying stickers is my least favorite part of building.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What's especially dumb is that a real container ship doesn't have matching containers. I want to see someone do it up with lots of various colors and no stickers and see how it looks.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Does it come with a Somali pirate skiff? I suppose you could use the Jabba's Palace skiff...

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Neurion posted:

Holy hell! I'm glad I passed up on building the store model of that set. Applying stickers is my least favorite part of building.

And 52 of those stickers span pieces! The top 4 containers on the stacks are 2 1x2 plates and a 1x2 tile.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the hell, that's unconscionable.

I guess the model is mostly intended as a display piece so I guess anyone who assembles it isn't gonna care, but stickers forbidding you from breaking lego apart and making something else out of it is pretty much anti-lego.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Roots Radical posted:

Aha. I am a VIP but maybe it's cause I'm in Canada.

The catalogues come to Canada too.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Roots Radical posted:

Where do you get these catalogues?

If you were referring to the part about Benny's Spaceship and Metalbeard"s Sea Cow specifically, they're not in the catalog only rumors. Sorry for any confusion.

Speaking of which, how is it that Hungarians almost always get first word of leaked photos on upcoming LEGO sets? It's like they have their form of NSA pointed straight at Billund.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If that's true, I admire the priorities of those Hungarians.

(isn't there a big lego factory in Hungary? that could explain where they get the info to leak)

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
You are correct, sir. Didn't know that.

E: This line just gave me an idea.

wikipedia posted:

If all the Lego bricks ever produced were to be divided equally among a world population of six billion, each person would have 62 Lego bricks.

Maybe we should see what we can do with 62 bricks. Any theme. The only caveat is that you have to use one 2x4 brick somewhere.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 3, 2014

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

xzzy posted:

What the hell, that's unconscionable.

There was a holiday Lego truck several years ago (late 90s?) that came with stickers and the instructions for building a trailer from your own bricks (i.e., a lot of 2x4 bricks). For some reason, these were the most resilient stickers ever.

I still have clumps of red and black bricks that won't come apart. I'm sure hot water would do the trick, but at this point it's become a sentimental part of my collection. :3:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Dr. Benway posted:

Maybe we should see what we can do with 62 bricks. Any theme. The only caveat is that you have to use one 2x4 brick somewhere.

I like this. It is A Good Idea.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Phy posted:

I remember getting them in Australia, too. Except between the years of about 2005 and 2013, when none came and I thought my membership must have defaulted or something. Then I got one out of the blue halfway through last year.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I remember picking up a catalogue in Australia when I was young. Accidentally stole it, too, because I was too young to realise you had to pay for them.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
I filled 2 1/2 of my holiday pick-a-brick boxes today with 2x1 grey masonry bricks. I probably went overboard.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Finally got to TRU tonight, grabbed about 20 random bags. Excited to finally get my hand on them, I did a double take passing actually sets. They were priced at normal price without the normal TRU mark up that all the other sets have. The series 12 minifigs were 2.99 and the series 11 they had left over were 3.49. Wonder if Lego told them to not tack it on with these sets.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Phy posted:

I have been signed up for catalogs and am a VIP member. Delivery is spotty at best some times I get it before the 1h or 2h if I don't have it by the february or august I have to request it and get it within a week or so.

I came across this today http://www.sheepo.es/2013/10/ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-14.html it is a technic mustang and looks amazing. At 3500 parts and 5 motors/any other PF stuff trying to make one would end up costing me a fortune but it is really nice to look at.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Dr. Benway posted:

But even my smaller models top a 100 bricks easy D:, I'm game for it though. let's do this!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I really don't understand the pricing on the Architecture sets at all. Every one of them seems like it should be an £11 - £20 pound set, but they are all much more expensive. I know they have a high piece count but all of the pieces are small and mass produced in other sets.

What am I missing?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Ville Valo posted:

Does it come with a Somali pirate skiff? I suppose you could use the Jabba's Palace skiff...

Do any of the movie licensed themes have a Tom Hanks minifig?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

PriorMarcus posted:

I really don't understand the pricing on the Architecture sets at all. Every one of them seems like it should be an £11 - £20 pound set, but they are all much more expensive. I know they have a high piece count but all of the pieces are small and mass produced in other sets.

What am I missing?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's the nicely-bound instruction book with all the information and history in it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Neurion posted:

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's the nicely-bound instruction book with all the information and history in it.

That book alone can't be bumping the prices up as high as they are. Do they have to license their image?

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Hotknife - Turbo Viper by AzMiLion, on Flickr

So I made a thing. after a while of not making said things, i present the Hotknife Turbo Viper.

So for the 62 parts challenge, i propose the following.

Use 62 parts(exactly!)
Use at least one 2x4 brick.

I have some ideas for what i can make for this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

That book alone can't be bumping the prices up as high as they are. Do they have to license their image?

I wouldn't be surprised if they did, all of them are owned by commercial enterprises. The store at the Space Needle was absolutely stuffed with the lego model last time I was there so there's clearly a two way thing going on.

The boxes they ship them in are higher quality material too. They also ship with a printed brick with the name of the structure.. basically everything about them adds up to "costs more."

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Phy posted:

Aha, maybe I just need to wait then. Thanks.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Dr. Benway posted:

62Bricks Challenge - Rover by AzMiLion, on Flickr

Can't sleep, got bitten by the creativity bug. Have a Mars Rover with some movable features such as
-Adjustable Camera
-Adjustable Robo-Arm-Grabber.
-Adjustable Wheels(for steering!)
-Adjustable Solar panel

Two 2x4 bricks make up the frame for the wheel attachment points.

E:Apparently i can't type very good either.

E2: Don't you hate it when you finish a model and you immediately see things you could've done better?

62Bricks - Rover V2 by AzMiLion, on Flickr

I know I do.

E3: I really do hate that.

Final Version!, added a rock and a drill. Play features for everybody!
I also snuck the front camera back in, lowered the battery pack and replaced some bricks to make it more efficient.

62Bricks - Rover V3 by AzMiLion, on Flickr

This is a really fun challenge, and I'd like to challenge the MOCers in the thread to join in. Start with a simple-ish base model and see how much detail you can work into it. Somehow this rambly rear end post makes a good progress log for this particular MOC.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 4, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Metalbeard's Duel is amazing. I didn't know he had a sword until I looked at the box in person. It's the perfect fusion of my two favorite things, pirates and giant fighting robots. My wife also picked up the Cloud Cuckoo Castle and three minifigs, two of which ended up being pantsless guy :argh;

I really went to get the new batman riddler chase set, but they aren't getting more until Monday annoyingly.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Built a Spyrius-inspired Vic Viper thing for 62Bricks, I'll upload some better pics tomorrow when I have daylight. It clocks in right at 62 pieces, though, and I really want to include a pilot. I may end up de-greebling and probably come up with a better engine solution. It's sort of in an alpha stage right now.

Also it has an AquaSharks top/tail fin.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Cloks posted:

Apparently printing the company name on the bricks would give the company some legal right to them that doesn't happen if they just use stickers. LEGO learned this after that fiasco where OCTAN took over the company.

Wait, what happened? Do you have a link?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Octan is a fake company that Lego created though?

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.

Fayez Butts posted:

Octan is a fake company that Lego created though?

Tell that to president Lord Business and his dirty, filthy oil money.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Joramun posted:

Do any of the movie licensed themes have a Tom Hanks minifig?

Is Woody from Toy Story close enough?

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
I put something together too.

62 pieces exactly. No interior to speak of, although a minifig would fit inside.

Lego's early 90s strategy of "huge prefab ship parts and studded wings" works well to add volume here; the challenge is finding a way to make the big ship pieces part of an interesting form while building a good internal structure.
As a result it's pretty sturdy despite the low part density, and is highly swooshable.

Having to count every brick really helps enforce the need to add solid detail rather than just throwing more parts on. The final design ended up much leaner and well-balanced design-wise when I took out expensive structures that didn't add much to the overall shape and used the part count to flesh out more main details.

The 2x4 brick ties together the band of armor that holds the dual engines together. Looking at the Deep Freeze Defender, which lends a few parts to this ship, Lego had a nice, if somewhat scattered color palette with trans-orange canopies and tools, white wings, blue fuselage and black engines, radar, and other mechanical parts. I tried to use something similar and also blend the black printing on the Deep Sea Predator's canopy into the engines and systems between the wings.

I love putting red/green navigation lights on spaceship wingtips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Speaking of Octan, I wish I wish I never lost the little Octan-printed minifig and bricks, could have rebuilt this little guy properly from '94 when I got him as a kid

Picked up this today though, bigger than I thought it would be