Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Chiming in to say that I have now watched 12 of the Zatoichi movies. In order.

I have been expecting some sort of decline but there isn't!

In Zatoichi and the Chess Expert, Zatoichi was using his senses to earn money betting on dice. I was like "Aha! They are totally recycling this!" Zatoichi winning at will in dice is nothing new but then a bit more in the story and bam. He loses, doing the trick I felt was heavily recycled. (Sorry not a huge spoiler). This wasn't a huge deal but any recycling that I saw was just to set up later parts in the film.

I feel the same still holds true from my previous post in that: These aren't going to be big budgeted and/or epic Kurosawa movies, their quality has not declined (subjective), and if anything, they start spreading out the releases so I assume certain aspects of quality will increase.

One thing that has improved though is Shintaro Katsu's acting or at maybe it is just showcased more. He was great before but it is being refined and more nuanced. The good news is, is it is still the same character, watching later ones won't cancel out the earlier ones, but if anything I notice the smaller things about him more. There is a scene where he loses something and is searching around desperately. His attuned senses were helpless and he became a helpless blind man and you could see the agony for a second. My mind cried out "Noooooooo!" Impressive. The series has got a lot of pub recently but I had no idea of it until Criterion announced the release. It is a shame because these are gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
New newsletter hints Ace in the Hole blu-ray. loving sweet.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Sheldrake posted:

It's maybe the most obvious one they've ever done.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

robix smash posted:

It's maybe the most obvious one they've ever done.

Yeah, when I actually get it when I see it without having to come here, you know you're getting a bit too on the nose.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Sheldrake posted:

I've almost bought the DVD the past few sales. Glad I've held off. I'll definitely snag the blu-ray.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Maybe the Ace is a red herring and they're really doing Caddyshack.

We can only dream...

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I really really liked Ace in the Hole the first time I saw it, but subsequent viewings soured me on it some. I can't recall exactly why right now though. I think it has some pacing problems maybe?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've been away from the Criterion world for a little while. Has there been any news on an Eraserhead release?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am crossposting from the Blu-Ray thread, this excellent post from Max22, just in case people missed it

Max22 posted:

Canadians! Cineplex is running an incredible deal for Boxing Week:

-- 50% off everything
-- Free shipping on any order
-- Free movie ticket with any disc purchase over $14.99
-- They have Criterions

This is a much, much better deal than the B&N sale for Canadians, although they don't seem to have many Criterions.

I picked up Nashville + Eyes Without a Face.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Twin Cinema posted:

I am crossposting from the Blu-Ray thread, this excellent post from Max22, just in case people missed it

This is a much, much better deal than the B&N sale for Canadians, although they don't seem to have many Criterions.

I picked up Nashville + Eyes Without a Face.

drat, I didn't even know they had a store like that. And I get points on my card too!

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

For Christmas I got a copy of the Zatoichi set (which I justified in ordering during the B&N sale by telling my wife to put it away for me), this is seriously a beautiful set. I didn't dig into any of it yet, but it's so nicely put together, it's just such a nice piece. Criterion really took it to the next level with this one.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

zandert33 posted:

For Christmas I got a copy of the Zatoichi set (which I justified in ordering during the B&N sale by telling my wife to put it away for me), this is seriously a beautiful set. I didn't dig into any of it yet, but it's so nicely put together, it's just such a nice piece. Criterion really took it to the next level with this one.

Yeah, if anyone loves samurai/Japanese old set movies, it's really really hard to go wrong with the Zaotichi set. I grabbed it for $140 off Amazon, and it has (custom made?) artwork all over the box and the book that it comes with, and the book holding the dvds/blurays! It's really insane and pretty.

Also, really looking forward to that Hidden Fortress too.

Would anyone recommend picking up Ran/Kagamusha/Rashomon if I enjoyed Zatoichi? Going to try at least watch all of Zatoichi first before picking up another Criterion.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I would recommend Ran, Kagemusha, and Roshomon, but I don't know if they're really like Zatoichi, given that Zatoichi seems more like a fun samurai movie, and all three of those are really more like art-house movies or epics. So it might not be your cup of tea, but I'll give you some guidance in case you're interested.

Ran is probably the easiest to recommend of the three. First off, the cinematography is absolutely gorgeous. Kurosawa is a master of getting the right shots, and there are so many strong and powerful images throughout the film that just stay with you, like when the old king is walking outside of the burning fortress and he looks like a ghost. As a story, it's an interesting story about the collapse of a dynasty. An old king splits his kingdom up into three, and gives it to his sons. His youngest calls him an idiot for doing so because they will collapse, and so he gets banished. Of course, there's a power struggle between the other two sons and a civil war. The old king gets to see the collapse of his empire, and he also has to face the terrible things he has done when he was in charge. It's great.

Kagemusha is sort of like a test-run for Ran. Kagemusha is about a criminal who is hired to be a double for the leader of a clan, in exchanged for not being crucified. One night, the leader is shot, and he tells his generals that if he dies, keep his death a secret for three years and stay put. Don't move on Kyoto. Well, he dies, and they keep his death a secret from everyone, including his double. Well, one night, the double decides to bust out and run off with some loot. He finds the dead body, and figures out the game. He decides to act as the double, and it becomes an interesting film about the nature of a man and about power. Where does leadership come from and what makes one fit to lead? It's a great film, and actually was supposed to feature the actor who played Zatoichi as the kagemusha. But he pissed off Kurosawa by bringing his own film crew on the set to capture him at work, and that was no more.

Rashomon is probably the most difficult of three, and the most different. Where the other two are military epics, Rashomon is a smaller drama about the nature of the truth. We're given 4 or 5 different perspectives on a rape and a murder, and there is nothing consistent beyond those two facts. Different people are to blame in some scenarios, things that were heroic in one scenario are played out as cowardly in another. And in each telling, we are shown a different human failing. I like it, but it can be difficult to appreciate.

Really, I would say Yojimbo or Sanjuro would be closer to the style of film Zatoichi is.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rashomon is a fascinating film that, while I absolutely feel is worth viewing, is a little rough around the edges compared to Kurosawa's other films. Mifune's acting in particular is a little too over the top, even for him. Still love it though.

Kagemusha is a little long in the tooth; you could edit out about 30 minutes without it affecting the story too heavily and the pacing would probably be so much better for it.

Can't go wrong with Ran though. The only thing bad about it is that the transfer isn't that great (also, isn't a Criterion sadly).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oh yeah I forgot Ran is a Studio Canal release.

What are some good non-Japanese Criterions to buy? All the ones I have are Japanese, and if I add Yojimbo/Sanjuro, then yeah, even more. Might be nice to have some variety, and to see some other styles of filmmaking.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Nate RFB posted:

Kagemusha is a little long in the tooth; you could edit out about 30 minutes without it affecting the story too heavily and the pacing would probably be so much better for it.

Actually, there already is a version that edits about 30 minutes of the film. The version that Fox released internationally runs about 160 minutes. Here's a brief overview of some of the differences:

There's an added screen of text (in Japanese... for the international release...) that goes over the historical context. There's a scene where some general we never see again in a snowy castle hears about the Shingen's death. There's a subplot involving Nobunaga sending one of the Jesuit doctors along with Shingen's father to check up on him to see if he's dead or alive that was cutout. A few scenes were reordered, and cuts were made to make sure that things made sense and weren't redundant. A few other scenes were just edited differently. In all honesty, Criterion should have included that cut, just because it is a different version. It's pretty clear that it wasn't just a hack job by some editor to get it down to an arbitrary length, but rather, just a different edit of the film.

For non-Japanese Criterions, here's a few I like:
Sweet Smell of Success is a really great story about completely detestable people that's just oozing great writing.
12 Angry Men and Anatomy of a Murder are brilliant films about court cases.
Brazil is motherfucking Brazil, so you should totally watch it.
Blow Out is a great thriller with a near perfect ending. And John Lithgow. What more do you need? Well, John Travolta.
And I know technically it's Japanese, but since like 75% of it is in English and there's a lot of British actors, I think we can make an exception, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence is also a film I love. It's about a Japanese prison camp in WWII. David Bowie plays a British soldier who's sent there and his homoerotic charm and rebellious nature causes order to collapse in the camp. It surprised me too, since you don't typically see the Japanese deal with that part of their history in a lot films. Like, they are portrayed in a brutal light. And it's loving David Bowie!

As you can tell, I lean towards American and British films, so there's a lot of other stuff out there too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Keep those recommendations coming. It's nice to explore a side of filmmaking that aren't trying to be summer blockbusters, or Oscar bait.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Gift cards are cool. Went ahead and splurged on a few Criterion blu rays. Come onnnnnnnnnn down AntiChrist, M and Videodrome. Haven't had a chance to watch any of them yet, but the Videodrome packaging alone is so worth it.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

caiman posted:

I've been away from the Criterion world for a little while. Has there been any news on an Eraserhead release?

Yeah, I've also been wondering about this, since it is my favorite movie and they've had the license for years.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Ineffiable posted:

Keep those recommendations coming. It's nice to explore a side of filmmaking that aren't trying to be summer blockbusters, or Oscar bait.

Japanese samurai-related Criterions:
Harakiri -- Impeccable storytelling
the Samurai Trilogy -- Beautiful photography and duels
Sword of Doom -- Super violent!
Three Outlaw Samurai -- Quick pace and great style
Rebel Samurai boxset -- 2 great films and 2 good ones

Other:
8 1/2 -- The best movie about movies ever
Chungking Express -- Sweet and a LOT of fun to watch
Fanny and Alexander -- Epic inside look at family, through the eyes of a 10 year old boy
Ikiru -- Understanding life through death
Late Spring -- Very powerful without being grandiose
The Night of the Hunter -- Stylish and haunting
Red Beard -- What it means to be human. I cry every time I watch it
Le Samourai -- Everything about it oozes cool
La Strada -- Warning: You WILL fall in love with Giulietta Masina after watching this!
Ugetsu -- Quite possibly the best ghost story ever made
Z -- THE best political thriller ever made

Those are just some of the titles I couldn't live without. Enjoy!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I would recommend Ran, Kagemusha, and Roshomon, but I don't know if they're really like Zatoichi, given that Zatoichi seems more like a fun samurai movie, and all three of those are really more like art-house movies or epics. So it might not be your cup of tea, but I'll give you some guidance in case you're interested.

Ran is probably the easiest to recommend of the three. First off, the cinematography is absolutely gorgeous. Kurosawa is a master of getting the right shots[...].
It's worth nothing that the greatest of Kurosawa's cinematographers, Miyagawa Kazuo---who did the photography for Rashomon (1950) and Yojimbo (1961), as well as Ozu's Floating Weeds (1959) and Mizoguchi's Ugetsu (1953) and Sansho the Bailiff (1954)---was also the cinematographer on around a half a dozen of the Zatoichi films.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Looks like we're getting an M. Hulot boxset in the new year. Time for me to sell the M. Hulot's Holiday, Mon Oncle and Playtime.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Scanners, Picnic at Hanging Rock and the California Raisin movie!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When they tease stuff at the start of the year like that, do they for certain have those movies lined up to go? I've been waiting forever for a blu of Picnic at Hanging Rock.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Some people are saying that it means A Hard Day's Night will be a Criterion release, but apparently Miramax sold those rights to Lionsgate in 2010, so I'm less sure. Still, it hasn't seen a Blu-ray release in the US (only Canada and Mexico), and this year marks the 50th anniversary of the film, so there's a possibility that it may in fact be a Criterion release after all.

But if that's a Hulot box set, consider me interested.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

From peeking at other forums, here's what we're probably getting from those hints...

Jacques Tati box set - clearly Mr. Hulot peeking out of the box
Jacques Demy box set (The Umbrellas of Chernobog, Donkey Skin, Lola, and Bay of Angels) - the angels
Scanners
Picnic at Hanging Rock
A Raisin in the Sun
Red River
Birdman of Alcatraz (convict with "11" on shirt)
Tootsie (there are tootsie rolls on the blanket)
Red Sun

I'd like to think the four beetles mean A Hard Day's Night, but they would have to license from Lionsgate since it's part of the Miramax library. It just seems like something Lionsgate would do themselves, but they haven't exactly been enthusiastic about pre-1980s cinema. I would love to see Criterion release it, though.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 1, 2014

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Jazz on a Summer's Day?

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's with the deer in the bushes? Or the Samara-looking creature having a picnic? Are we getting more Japanese horror movies after the success of their release of Hausu?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I was wondering if they would ever do Red Sun, a movie with Alain Delon and Toshiro Mifune seems impossible for them to pass up. I saw part of it on TV once, it looked alright.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Edible Hat posted:

What's with the deer in the bushes? Or the Samara-looking creature having a picnic? Are we getting more Japanese horror movies after the success of their release of Hausu?

It might be The Straight Story, given what's being said elsewhere. Certainly makes sense since I can't see Disney being that interested and they already have some other Lynch films.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and predict that 2014's Chaplins will be The Kid and Limelight. The Kid was already hinted before City Lights got a surprise release. Limelight is the last major sound film of his that hasn't been released yet. That would just leave a catch-all for his remaining First National films, A Woman of Paris, and A King in New York.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Birdman of Alcatraz (convict with "11" on shirt)

Riot on Cell Block 11

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A Criterion Straight Story would be wonderful. I have a question only tangentially related to thread's topic: why hasn't The Mother and the Whore ever been released on DVD? I managed to watch it through my means, but watching it on Blu-ray would be excellent. It seems to be up Criterion's alley. I understand Jean Eustache's son has been really protective of his father's movies, but the only information I have on its possible release on a better format than VHS is years-old.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Riot on Cell Block 11

It's part of the Republic library licensed to Olive Films, though. Birdman of Alcatraz is owned by MGM (United Artists library).

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Jack Gladney posted:

When they tease stuff at the start of the year like that, do they for certain have those movies lined up to go? I've been waiting forever for a blu of Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Absolutely ready to go, like when they hinted at Y Tu Mama Tambien in 2010 and then it came out right away.

edit: my mistake, they announced it as one of the eventual IFC titles on September 1, 2009 and then included it in the 2011 and 2012 clues

edit2: wow, factchecking my own joke sure takes the humor out of it

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 3, 2014

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Is there a chance that Criterion, or anyone else, will release Stalker on blu-ray?

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Ego-bot posted:

Is there a chance that Criterion, or anyone else, will release Stalker on blu-ray?

God, I hope so.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Ego-bot posted:

I think it'd be more likely to be Kino seeing as they've already done The Sacrifice and Nostalghia and have the DVD rights. I really need to check out that Nostalghia bluray; the Sacrifice one was unreal.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I don't know if this is kosher to ask here, but anyone want to trade something for a (watched once) copy of Sanjuro? It's not the Yojimbo two-pack version, it's the individual film version. I just didn't care for it nearly as much as I expected to, and don't see myself going back to it.

Edit: It's the DVD version and I am not looking for Blurays.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 5, 2014

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Egbert Souse posted:

The Umbrellas of Chernobog

I really wanna see this version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Anonymous Robot posted:

I don't know if this is kosher to ask here, but anyone want to trade something for a (watched once) copy of Sanjuro? It's not the Yojimbo two-pack version, it's the individual film version. I just didn't care for it nearly as much as I expected to, and don't see myself going back to it.

I'm pretty sure trading is A-OK here.

I can't help you out as I already own Sanjuro and love it, but I too have a trade offer: I have two copies of Rashomon on BLU and am looking to unload one, still sealed. Anyone?