Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

nine-gear crow posted:

Sounds like someone in Square's writers room finally grew a conscience, and this is contrition for being goaded by fans into making FFX-2.

Now as for X-3, god I hope Square's usual production bullshit smothers this idea in its crib. The only idea I'd personally want to see explored in depth is the Jecht/Braska/Auron story, and even then it was done so perfectly in FFX that it doesn't even need to be explored in full. Hell, the implied story of what went on prior to X was a billion times better than X itself... And I actually liked the story of X to a fair extent.

I don't know how serious it is but I hear people saying that this was literally written because Nojima didn't like that X-2 was so happy. Then again he WROTE X-2 so I can't see why he would be upset. Also that's the most inappropriate reaction to "this was too happy".

The thing I can't get past is that this literally reads like Fanfiction like... the audio drama follow up introduces a girl claiming to be Aurons daughter and a boy with a super crush on Yuna. It literally reads like someones fanfiction of FFX, I know Kitase once said

quote:

“In the real world things are very different. You just need to look around you. Nobody wants to die that way. People die of disease and accident. Death comes suddenly and there is no notion of good or bad. It leaves, not a dramatic feeling but great emptiness. When you lose someone you loved very much you feel this big empty space and think, 'If I had known this was coming I would have done things differently." These are the feelings I wanted to arouse in the players with Aerith's death relatively early in the game. Feelings of reality and not Hollywood.”

And this seems like the exact opposite. Something so comical and ridiculous that I can't help but laugh, and everyone I tell it to believes that I am lying or posting someones fanfiction.

I don't get Square, Lightning Returns did horribly, the brand name has been damaged beyond recognition, the COMPANY NAME has been damaged beyond recognition. I thought they were supposed to have a board to determine the quality on this stuff, but apparently that doesn't cover non games? X-3 is not going to sell on nostalgia, the brand has been so damaged. You can't just say "Hey we can make a sequel and lots of money" anymore!

I still can't stop laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Onmi posted:

I don't know how serious it is but I hear people saying that this was literally written because Nojima didn't like that X-2 was so happy. Then again he WROTE X-2 so I can't see why he would be upset. Also that's the most inappropriate reaction to "this was too happy".

The thing I can't get past is that this literally reads like Fanfiction like... the audio drama follow up introduces a girl claiming to be Aurons daughter and a boy with a super crush on Yuna. It literally reads like someones fanfiction of FFX, I know Kitase once said

And this seems like the exact opposite. Something so comical and ridiculous that I can't help but laugh, and everyone I tell it to believes that I am lying or posting someones fanfiction.

I don't get Square, Lightning Returns did horribly, the brand name has been damaged beyond recognition, the COMPANY NAME has been damaged beyond recognition. I thought they were supposed to have a board to determine the quality on this stuff, but apparently that doesn't cover non games? X-3 is not going to sell on nostalgia, the brand has been so damaged. You can't just say "Hey we can make a sequel and lots of money" anymore!

I still can't stop laughing.

When they finally break the emergency glass on that FFVII remake people have been hounding them for for nearly a decade, then you know they're well and truly hosed. Mostly because they'll go bankrupt before they finish remodelling Cloud's face so he looks more like Lightning as per Toriyama's orders.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Fonons fonons fonons fonons fonons.

...not that the game itself isn't good, but drat, people complain about 13's fal'cie and l'cie stuff and Abyss is way worse. It's like MGS4 and nanomachines.

I completely zone out every single time they try to explain fonons and why things are happening. Just replace fonons with magic and a wizard did it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

nine-gear crow posted:

When they finally break the emergency glass on that FFVII remake people have been hounding them for for nearly a decade, then you know they're well and truly hosed. Mostly because they'll go bankrupt before they finish remodelling Cloud's face so he looks more like Lightning as per Toriyama's orders.

But that's the thing, an FFVII remake would do well if their was any faith to go with nostalgia, but Square has destroyed all faith and good will. I doubt people would even be excited for an FFVII remake after X-3s invevitable iOS Release.

I'm just happy they apparently dislike my favourite FFs of IX and XII and they are unlikely to ever be continued and ruined.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I for one can't wait to see a VII remake at this point, if only to see how badly they try and duct tape not-Gackt onto it.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm curious how they would approach a remake. Many of things people criticize modern JRPGs for, such as character design and 'anime' story elements, are present in FF7. Would do they do 1:1 remake with the original game or would they make drastic changes to attract the people who play Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect? With FFXIV:ARR and FFXV, they seem to be making it a larger goal to attract overseas audiences with their games.

There's also the matter of actually making the game. It wouldn't be too difficult for a well disciplined team to remake FF7 into a fully 3D JRPG with traditional gameplay, similar to Lost Odyssey. For example, a single fan remade Cosmo Canyon on Unreal Engine 3 in less than a month. However, SE hasn't shown that they have completely solved their major development problems.

Allegedly, Squaresoft's former CEO, Hisashi Suzuki, wanted to remake the PS1 FF games for the PS2 to restore investor confidence in the company. However, Suzuki was ousted and replaced by Wada who brought the company into good shape for the merger with Enix. The company stabilized through a cash injection by Sony, strong sales games released during that period, and cost-cutting measures by Wada.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm pretty sure the biggest problem with remaking VII is that the vast majority of the fanbase (and Square Enix for that matter) doesn't even remember what VII was like.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm pretty sure the biggest problem with remaking VII is that the vast majority of the fanbase (and Square Enix for that matter) doesn't even remember what VII was like.

Yeah, I don't even want to know what FFVII would look like after being re-strained through the likes of modern-day Toriyama's imagination. Crisis Core already made Gackt responsible for Sephiroth's breakdown, and that was just a cameo!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'd be happy with a low-ish budget HD remaster and retranslation and I know even that would be too much to trust the current developers at SE with. Would be nice though, the pre-rendered environments still look fantastic so it would only take a modest overhaul of the character models to make the game look presentable to a modern audience.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'd be happy with a low-ish budget HD remaster and retranslation and I know even that would be too much to trust the current developers at SE with. Would be nice though, the pre-rendered environments still look fantastic so it would only take a modest overhaul of the character models to make the game look presentable to a modern audience.

I think they lost the original art assets. The backgrounds available are in the same resolution as the images in that imgur album. They look like poo poo at 1080p.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I wonder if they'd still put bigass My Bloody Valentine posters in a VII remake. (Preemptive snark: It'd be Gakt)

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
My hope, no, my dream is for someone to use SFM to animate the blitzball bomb scene from that novel.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 4, 2014

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

BlitzBlast posted:

Exactly. And it goes far beyond the odd character models and rushed translation; there are tons of little details in FFVII that are very much of their time, stuff that just wouldn't fly in a full remake, assuming they go all-out with it.

Take character animations for example: Square would have to rethink almost every scene of dialogue in the game, ostensibly throw out all the existing storyboards and start over, because there's no way they could totally rework the character models to 2014 standards yet still have Cloud randomly doing squats mid-conversation, or Palmer hopping up and down in his chair during that board meeting, or Barret throwing characters at the camera, without the whole thing looking ten kinds of stupid.

...that said, at least it would be entertaining, in that crazy-rear end Metal Gear kind of way. I'll take that if the alternative is more of what Crisis Core was doing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Can someone please explain to me why Gackt is so popular to Japanese and weeaboos? His music is the most derivative and boring adult contemporary rock schlock I've ever heard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

1st AD posted:

Can someone please explain to me why Gackt is so popular to Japanese and weeaboos? His music is the most derivative and boring adult contemporary rock schlock I've ever heard.

Are you seriously asking why a musician is popular despite having boring and rather generic music? Welcome to popular music in every country on the planet.

Frankly i think the insane bizarre hatred people have for Gackt is weirder than the like people have for him. I don't like the guy's music or anything but otherwise I don't particularly find him any more objectionable than any other entertainer who shows up in a video game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 4, 2014

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

1st AD posted:

Because he's cute as gently caress

seriously.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm just saying, Nickelback is pretty horrid but at least the music is...aww gently caress it kill myself now before I go down this rabbit hole :suicide:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
He looks like a final fantasy.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

1st AD posted:

Weeaboos like him because Japanese people like him. Couldn't tell you why Japanese people like him.

I think I heard somewhere that he was better before he went solo or something. Been a long time though, and I never really cared.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 4, 2014

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

Because he's a vampire and everyone is simply under his spell.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bongo Bill posted:

the Brave/Default system is simple but both allows and rewards skillful use

I have played the Bravely Default demo and am now attempting to get the last bonus by leaving my 3DS in sleep mode all day (which is dumb but hey), and while I think the Brave/Default system is cool I do have a minor gripe with it. I full party wiped on the Minotaur twice. The problem is that apparently at a certain point (probably a percentage of his HP) he decides to burn his max amount of Brave charges, giving him four turns. He would inevitably use this to attack all of my party, which would immediately wipe everyone except for the White Mage (because of Angelic whatever). By the time I was able to resurrect my party with items/spells, he was back up to 0 BP and would again burn three Braves.

There didn't seem to be any way around this as one of his attacks is called Double Damage and was dealing 500-600 HP of damage on my Black Mage, who had like 390 HP max. It seems like the only way to avoid this is to waste your secondary slot on Miscellany (or use a Freelancer) and go into the fight once, determine about what percentage of HP he decides to go nuts on, and then have everyone Default that turn (which might not even be a guarantee he won't wipe the party anyway). I guess the other solution is either "grind a lot" or "waste time with the 3DS in sleep mode to build the armor store" but neither of these are really great solutions.

I dunno. I'm not bashing the game; I love the demo and it's a definite first day purchase for me, and I like the Brave/Default system a lot but it seems to have its problems if the enemy just decides to go "gently caress you" and give itself four turns at once with no real warning. I guess the solution would be to have the Brave/Default thing be for the PCs only, which I guess people wouldn't like and would be seen as "unfair" in a way, although giving enemies 500,000 HP when your max limit is 9999 is pretty unfair too but eh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I have played the Bravely Default demo and am now attempting to get the last bonus by leaving my 3DS in sleep mode all day (which is dumb but hey), and while I think the Brave/Default system is cool I do have a minor gripe with it. I full party wiped on the Minotaur twice. The problem is that apparently at a certain point (probably a percentage of his HP) he decides to burn his max amount of Brave charges, giving him four turns. He would inevitably use this to attack all of my party, which would immediately wipe everyone except for the White Mage (because of Angelic whatever). By the time I was able to resurrect my party with items/spells, he was back up to 0 BP and would again burn three Braves.

There didn't seem to be any way around this as one of his attacks is called Double Damage and was dealing 500-600 HP of damage on my Black Mage, who had like 390 HP max. It seems like the only way to avoid this is to waste your secondary slot on Miscellany (or use a Freelancer) and go into the fight once, determine about what percentage of HP he decides to go nuts on, and then have everyone Default that turn (which might not even be a guarantee he won't wipe the party anyway). I guess the other solution is either "grind a lot" or "waste time with the 3DS in sleep mode to build the armor store" but neither of these are really great solutions.

I dunno. I'm not bashing the game; I love the demo and it's a definite first day purchase for me, and I like the Brave/Default system a lot but it seems to have its problems if the enemy just decides to go "gently caress you" and give itself four turns at once with no real warning. I guess the solution would be to have the Brave/Default thing be for the PCs only, which I guess people wouldn't like and would be seen as "unfair" in a way, although giving enemies 500,000 HP when your max limit is 9999 is pretty unfair too but eh.

You have multiple ways around that. Ninjas can use their default level-1 ability to give themselves a 1-hit nullification of any physical attack for example. You can equip the Ninja skill on any character and basically nullify a ton of the Minotaur's potential damage. You can also use Protect to lessen the damage he's doing anyway and play defensively by using Default to build up BP until it's safe to attack. If he blows all his BP then you have a lot of time you an spend wrecking him.

It's entirely possible to finish every single fight in the demo with the default jobs and weapons and no additional skills without grinding at all.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 4, 2014

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Delsaber posted:

Exactly. And it goes far beyond the odd character models and rushed translation; there are tons of little details in FFVII that are very much of their time, stuff that just wouldn't fly in a full remake, assuming they go all-out with it.

Take character animations for example: Square would have to rethink almost every scene of dialogue in the game, ostensibly throw out all the existing storyboards and start over, because there's no way they could totally rework the character models to 2014 standards yet still have Cloud randomly doing squats mid-conversation, or Palmer hopping up and down in his chair during that board meeting, or Barret throwing characters at the camera, without the whole thing looking ten kinds of stupid.

...that said, at least it would be entertaining, in that crazy-rear end Metal Gear kind of way. I'll take that if the alternative is more of what Crisis Core was doing.

Yeah, and those animations are part of the reason the game has so much charm... remaking FFVI would run in to the same problems honestly.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Black Mages get an equippable skill called Damage Dispersion (or something similar) - if you have that on him he wont take full damage from attacks; instead he will take some damage and spread the rest out over the party. As long as they are up he shouldn't be taking large amounts of damage. Like ImpAtom said, Ninjitsu is also super helpful for the dodge ability. White Mages get Angelic Grace which randomly reduces damage as well, but it seems to work fairly consistently. Also if you see his pattern, you can default to reduce damage and when he blows all his BP, Brave it up on your following turn and just stomp him with a full BP party.

Point is, there are lots of options and it seems like a game where you might have to experiment a bit to find what works.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nihilarian posted:

Weeaboos like him because Japanese people like him. Couldn't tell you why Japanese people like him.

I think I heard somewhere that he was better before he went solo or something. Been a long time though, and I never really cared.

Girls into Japan like him and the band he came from (Malice Mizer) because they all look androgynous or something. Their music is often the most tolerable to come out of stuff aimed at that demographic, for reasons listed above, so I put up with it during high school and my quest for... you know.

There is awesome music that comes from Japan, but this ain't it.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

There is awesome music that comes from Japan, but this ain't it.

I could never get into Malice Mizer. I just wasn't a big enough Japan guy in high school... thankfully.

Tokya Ska Paradise Orchestra, on the other hand... awesome then and now.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I wouldn't trust Square with a good FF7 remake at this point. They, along with the fans, seem to think that FF7 was all about Cloud angsting about Sephiroth the entire time while everyone else sat around with their thumbs up their asses. I'm going through FF7 right now, and it's completely not like what people remember it is. The game is pretty goofy, with things such as Cloud trying to slip into a military parade and (usually) doing an awful job at blending in, meeting a creepy and evil scientist who's responsible for most of the story happening chillin' on a beach in his lab coat, Palmer the dancing fat man, Cait Sith's "sacrifice" that's hyped as him leaving for good and ends up with Cait Sith 2 casually walking into a major plot point, Elena rolling down a slope Sonic the Hedgehog-style because Cloud dodged her punch, trying to get your Materia back in Wutai, the slap-fight on the Sister Ray, and Cait Sith dressing up as a reporter and gassing Scarlet.

Yeah, there's some angst, but the majority of it is right after Cloud is mindfucked by Sephiroth/Jenova, and it only lasts for like a minute or two. You'd be pretty freaked out too if you were just mind-controlled by a pretty boy and evil alien parasite working together, so it's understandable. The most angsty part of the game is when you're in Cloud's subconscious, but the whole point of that is to fix Cloud's mind instead of reveling in his angst. When you get back onto the Highwind after fixing Cloud, he straight up says "I'm going to live my life how it is instead constantly deluding myself. Let's kick Sephiroth's rear end." It's a huge difference from the perpetually angsty Cloud fans and Square think he is.

That's not even bringing up the EU poo poo they'd try and shove into the game. :gonk:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

closeted republican posted:

I wouldn't trust Square with a good FF7 remake at this point. They, along with the fans, seem to think that FF7 was all about Cloud angsting about Sephiroth the entire time while everyone else sat around with their thumbs up their asses. I'm going through FF7 right now, and it's completely not like what people remember it is. The game is pretty goofy, with things such as Cloud trying to slip into a military parade and (usually) doing an awful job at blending in, meeting a creepy and evil scientist who's responsible for most of the story happening chillin' on a beach in his lab coat, Palmer the dancing fat man, Cait Sith's "sacrifice" that's hyped as him leaving for good and ends up with Cait Sith 2 casually walking into a major plot point, Elena rolling down a slope Sonic the Hedgehog-style because Cloud dodged her punch, trying to get your Materia back in Wutai, the slap-fight on the Sister Ray, and Cait Sith dressing up as a reporter and gassing Scarlet.

Yeah, there's some angst, but the majority of it is right after Cloud is mindfucked by Sephiroth/Jenova, and it only lasts for like a minute or two. You'd be pretty freaked out too if you were just mind-controlled by a pretty boy and evil alien parasite working together, so it's understandable. The most angsty part of the game is when you're in Cloud's subconscious, but the whole point of that is to fix Cloud's mind instead of reveling in his angst. When you get back onto the Highwind after fixing Cloud, he straight up says "I'm going to live my life how it is instead constantly deluding myself. Let's kick Sephiroth's rear end." It's a huge difference from the perpetually angsty Cloud fans and Square think he is.

That's not even bringing up the EU poo poo they'd try and shove into the game. :gonk:
There's a FF7 LP going on right now (seems to be on hiatus at the moment though) filled with people who find out that the game isn't anything like they remember.

It's worth remembering that a lot of peoples first time playing through the game would be when they're teenagers. I'm pretty sure I played it before I hit puberty. So it's kind of understandable that not everyone remembers it right. Still sucks what happened in the EU though.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

I wonder if Cloud's goofy personality is something that the English localization created while in the original Japanese version, Cloud was a lot colder or angsty like SE and Nomura claim he was. It would explain a lot of things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eggie posted:

I wonder if Cloud's goofy personality is something that the English localization created while in the original Japanese version, Cloud was a lot colder or angsty like SE and Nomura claim he was. It would explain a lot of things.

Nope. I've played the Japanese version and if anything Cloud's a bit more stilted/less cocky in the English version. Crisis Core and Before Crisis don't follow that exactly but they do follow the 'softspoken good-natured dork" Cloud from the flashbacks in FFVII as opposed to him being angsty and depressed all the time. It's only Advent Children where he is full on Angstmonster and that is in both languages.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 4, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I wouldn't trust Square with a good FF7 remake at this point.

Great post. Everything I love about FF VII and all the points as to why Square can't handle the remake we want.

I'd love to see the game in either HD or some cel-shaded style that brings the original art to life. Tell me you wouldn't play this:

He is SO. HAPPY. to be riding that bird.

I just don't want to see a full CG version with their Advent Children designs and added content linking the game to the EU, which is the best possible outcome I see Square deciding on.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

1st AD posted:

He's pretty and has a nice voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Po47Znf2Q

Gackt is not even close to the worst J-Pop in Japan. He's just kinda easy to hate on because he's recognizable due to him and Malice Mizer being in a lot of teen girls' wet dreams.

Personally I'm a Malice Mizer fan so I don't follow his stuff after he went solo.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Gackt is about as gross and bombastic as Final Fantasy, and in pretty much the same way.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I can't really say about his popularity specifically, but sales of Gackt's music have declined pretty heavily in Japan, and his solo career wasn't chart-topping to begin with.

He is pretty and does have a nice voice though. He's also quite eccentric, and he makes a decent number of appearances on variety shows, many of which have been subbed in English and other languages, so there's plenty of weird conversations and other material for new fans to get at. Some of these also feature other artists (he's friends with T.M.Revolution, for example, so fans of one will come across the other eventually) and other celebrities (Downtown, the guys who do Gaki no Tsukai, also hosted another variety show he has been on a lot).

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Levantine posted:

Black Mages get an equippable skill called Damage Dispersion (or something similar) - if you have that on him he wont take full damage from attacks; instead he will take some damage and spread the rest out over the party. As long as they are up he shouldn't be taking large amounts of damage. Like ImpAtom said, Ninjitsu is also super helpful for the dodge ability. White Mages get Angelic Grace which randomly reduces damage as well, but it seems to work fairly consistently. Also if you see his pattern, you can default to reduce damage and when he blows all his BP, Brave it up on your following turn and just stomp him with a full BP party.

Point is, there are lots of options and it seems like a game where you might have to experiment a bit to find what works.

I used my Knight's 4 actions to cast Ironclad (+50% Phys Defense), the Samurai's Nothing Ventured (Halves physical damage and counters) and then Full Cover (Automatically block incoming attacks on targeted party member) on my Red and White Mages. Not only did the Knight mostly absorb all the damage, he actually got 3 double strength counterattacks thanks to Nothing Ventured.

I'm very impressed by the Bravely Default demo, can't wait for the full release.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. I've played the Japanese version and if anything Cloud's a bit more stilted/less cocky in the English version. Crisis Core and Before Crisis don't follow that exactly but they do follow the 'softspoken good-natured dork" Cloud from the flashbacks in FFVII as opposed to him being angsty and depressed all the time. It's only Advent Children where he is full on Angstmonster and that is in both languages.

I feel that Cloud is a dork, no matter the time peroid. The guy dresses up as a Shinra soldier and does a horrible job pretending to be one in a huge parade, randomly squats in conversations, goes along with a plan to cross-dress so he can enter an organized crime boss' mansion instead of busting in, can go on a man-date with Barret, subtly sasses Yuffie when you recruit her, goes on a cartoon-like chase to get his Materia back in Wutai, breeds Chocobos during the apocalypse, breaks into his semi-friend's house to play her piano and look in her drawer, goes snowboarding while pursing his nemesis, and part of his backstory is pretending to be an uber-cool special forces commando to the max.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 5, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Final Fantasy VII's gloom and doom plot always scared me away from playing it, but now it sounds beautiful.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

That was the only enemy I had trouble with, and that was simple me not learning the pattern. I dunno if I was overleveled or something, but my only defensive abilties were my ninja's auto dodge and my white mage's damage reduction. All I did was kept the autododge up and default on the turn that he goes crazy. It's not hard to figure out when he does it, he'll have 0 BP.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Butt Ghost posted:

Final Fantasy VII's gloom and doom plot always scared me away from playing it, but now it sounds beautiful.

It's so weird how the game gained such a reputation when, early on, you have to give a girl CPR via a rhythm minigame then jump off a dolphin to climb into an airship hangar. It's so completely Japanese weird, and a solid RPG to boot, yet everyone thinks it's super emo and,I don't know, mixes up Vincent with Cloud.

(Vincent is an optional character you can recruit with a dark backstory, lots of brooding, and cryptic dialogue. Cloud is a dork.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's so weird how the game gained such a reputation when, early on, you have to give a girl CPR via a rhythm minigame then jump off a dolphin to climb into an airship hangar. It's so completely Japanese weird, and a solid RPG to boot, yet everyone thinks it's super emo and,I don't know, mixes up Vincent with Cloud.

(Vincent is an optional character you can recruit with a dark backstory, lots of brooding, and cryptic dialogue. Cloud is a dork.)

Everyone thinks it's emo because all the expanded universe poo poo is the most dense, heavy garbage that you can see the black tears dripping from their game boxes. All of them, especially Advent Children, are so gloomy that it's messed with everyone's memories of the original. Most people these days only see Cloud in Kingdom Hearts, Advent Children and Dissidia, where he is the most insufferable baby. No one really goes back to replay 7 so they don't remember how he was just a weird guy who tries too hard to be 90's Cool.