Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

FadingChord posted:

Is Woody from Toy Story close enough?

Absolutely! Good idea. He'll bravely stand up against those Somali pirates attackng the sticker ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

AzMiLion posted:

So for the 62 parts challenge, i propose the following.

Use 62 parts(exactly!)
Use at least one 2x4 brick.

I have some ideas for what i can make for this.

Exactly.

rickiep00h posted:

Built a Spyrius-inspired Vic Viper thing for 62Bricks

Awesome.

General Specific posted:

I put something together too.

62 pieces exactly. No interior to speak of, although a minifig would fit inside.

Yes!

Had to work all night. I'll throw together a few ideas after a bit of rest. Meanwhile I'll dream of bricks.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I finally found a cheapish 8145 on ebay, which was the last out of production technic set I really wanted. Today is a good day.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Fayez Butts posted:

Octan is a fake company that Lego created though?

That part was a joke.

I can't find the reference any more so I might be mistaken, but I stand by that LEGO uses the stickers so actual companies have no legal right to the bricks with their names on them.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cloks posted:

I can't find the reference any more so I might be mistaken, but I stand by that LEGO uses the stickers so actual companies have no legal right to the bricks with their names on them.

Stickers are cheaper. That's the reason.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Red posted:

Stickers are cheaper. That's the reason.

This. It allows them to customize the bricks to their needs for sets without having to do special printing on them: clear canopies of Star Wars ships and etc.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So now that I have disposable income I'm buying some good lego sets, I'm trying to get the Lunar Limo from a few years ago, just bought the Back to the Future Delorean and thinking of getting the Haunted House or the Volkswagen at some point as well but are there any other cool builds that I might have missed? Preferably not quite as expensive as those latter two either. Stuff like the UFO tripod walker or Lex Luthor power armour set.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 5, 2014

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Old (non-Star Wars) space sets are super cheap on the after market.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

jeeves posted:

Old (non-Star Wars) space sets are super cheap on the after market.

Except the monorail.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Just a couple of time machines hanging out.

Mine vs the official.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

rickiep00h posted:

Except the monorail.

I should have said RECENT ones.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

rickiep00h posted:

Except the monorail.

And the Deep Freeze Defender. :mad:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Tanith posted:

And the Deep Freeze Defender. :mad:

Oh how I wish I kept the boxes for both of those sets when I was a kid - at least I still have the pieces and instruction manuals buried somewhere

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

thebardyspoon posted:

So now that I have disposable income I'm buying some good lego sets, I'm trying to get the Lunar Limo from a few years ago, just bought the Back to the Future Delorean and thinking of getting the Haunted House or the Volkswagen at some point as well but are there any other cool builds that I might have missed? Preferably not quite as expensive as those latter two either. Stuff like the UFO tripod walker or Lex Luthor power armour set.

Hmm.. a set with some depth/complexity, but not too expensive?

- I really dug the green Lego Street Speeder, #6743. Note that the wheels don't actually turn like shown in the display.
- There are two Lego Landspeeders, and while I only have the first one (7110), the remake (8092) looks really solid, too.
- It just looks bizarre and fun as poo poo: SPACE SKULLS (10192).

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Do you have a parts list for that Dalek?

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.
What are people's thoughts on the Master Builder sets?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Cloks posted:

Do you have a parts list for that Dalek?

A quick google gave me this:

It's really nice and simple with all common parts, so I think I might make a few myself.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Taeke posted:

A quick google gave me this:

It's really nice and simple with all common parts, so I think I might make a few myself.

Exactly the pic I used.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

:syoon:

So much better than expected.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The homer minifig looks awesome, the rest are hideous.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The house does look better than I expected, but the car and the figures are pretty awful. Homer is okay I guess, but the rest are dire. And it's not that The Simpsons don't work well in 3D because plenty of figures have been made of them which look good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That looks really bad/fake.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That looks really bad/fake.

It's not fake, it's from the same person who leaked the Movie pirate ship, but it does look bad. Now that I'm comparing it with pictures of the house from the cartoon it's all over the loving place.

The proportions are wrong, there's no room over the garage on the Lego model, the plants out front look rubbish when they have the perfect pieces for them in scale and shape, the colors are off; it's basically just not very good.

All of that plus the piece count and the fact its a license means it's going to end up being pretty pricey so I'll definitely pass.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

All of that plus the piece count and the fact its a license means it's going to end up being pretty pricey so I'll definitely pass.

Not necessarily. I got several TMNT sets for really cheap a while after they first came out. Patience is a virtue.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Is that an inanimate carbon rod?

Wait, no, it's probably the fuel rod Homer loses down his shirt in the show intro.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Between the lovely figs and the off colors, it looks like something from Mega-Bloks. Maybe even Best-Lok.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Terrible.

Matt Groening's style never looks good in full 3d. It doesn't even look good in a 2D head-on portrait, only like from various side angles.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I may actually pick that up without the minifigs. I dunno. If it's like the Haunted House on the inside it might be okay.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Those walls are going to be a pretty boring build too.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

TRU is having a buy any Lego sets/figures over $60 get $15 off, so I bought $60 worth of the new movie minifigs, got $15 off, then used a $25 gift card so all in all I paid about a dollar each.

Got 12/16 and have doubles of these if anyone wants to trade:

Mrs. Scratchen-Post x2
Larry the Barista x2
President Business
Wild West Wyldstyle
Hard Hat Emmet
Taco Tuesday Man x2

Need:
William Shakespear
Calamity Drone
Abraham Lincoln
Scribble-Face Bad Cop

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 5, 2014

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Just finished the Palace Cinema. The inside is pretty sparse, but what do you want, it's a cinema. It's chairs and a screen, not much you can do with that.

The outside is amazing though, the sign is awesome (to see and to build), and all the lights and poo poo make it really stand out. The roof is great too.

Having built it after Orthanc, and what with them standing right next to each other for the moment (where the gently caress am I going to put them? ugh), made me realize even more that I'm really not a fan of monochrome builds, like Orthanc. It's a big reason why I'm not overly fond of the Star Wars stuff either, there's way too much gray in there.

It's made me much more hesitant to buy the Sidney Opera House. I like the design of the building and I'm a fan of buildings anyway, but color-wise it's pretty boring. Brown for the walls, white for the roofs. And then there's the space issue again...

uXs fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 5, 2014

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Just found out that the Lego movie won't be released in Australia until 3 April. gently caress you, Warner Bros.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I bought my first Movie sets today, Metalbeard and the chomping garbage truck. I've only built the Metalbeard set so far, the Micromanager (I think that's what they're called) is a pretty boring build, being just a black cube with legs, but Metalbeard is so insane it more than makes up for.

This is going to be such an expensive year, especially if I can't resist my urge to buy two of all the 2-in-1 sets to display both models. I'm also going to need at least two spares of that amazing Classic spaceship for parts. I just hope we get some more yellow canopy styles in other sets to go with all that wonderful grey and blue, lack of colored canopies is my biggest complaint about modern Lego.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Any idea where this piece is from?

(Probably mid 80s to early 90s)

Not sure if it's Technic or not - has the lego logo inside of the stud holes though. I think this piece was originally a part of my brother's lego collection before I ended up with it when I was growing up.

He also had this set - I wish I had still had all the pieces :(

(Still have the white dog copper, the doors, the bike and the phone base. The white pouch piece at the back of the bike I have but in two pieces)

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Closer look at the interior of the Simpsons house:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Joramun posted:

Closer look at the interior of the Simpsons house:

Why are all their eyes half closed like they are high?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That looks really cramped, doesn't look fun to build, and doesn't look fun to display.

Also it'll cost $300. And it's 15 years late

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's at least 20 years late.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Any idea where this piece is from?

(Probably mid 80s to early 90s)

That's from the prehistoric 70s.

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3709a

Came from these sets, note the set numbers are in the triple digits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

People on the Eurobricks forum are practically crying with joy over that Lego Simpsons House. One poster said it was the best Lego set EVER produced.

Now I'm glad some people like it but really?

It doesn't even look like the house that much if you compare it to images from the cartoon. The inside is cramped and ugly looking, the figures are hideous.

I don't even think the brand suits Lego. Not because of the subject matter or anything but because it's past its relevance and doesn't really have any interesting builds. It feels more like a brand that Megablocks would pick up.