Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

madjackmcmad posted:

Running a KS during the Steam Sale seems like folly, not a super time to try and get people to pay extra for games when they can get super mountains of games on the cheap.
The general rule is that you release NOTHING during the window beginning with Thanksgiving and ending January 2nd, unless you're in the EA/Ubisoft/etc tier of studio. That extends to Kickstarters, new releases, game DLC, basically anything... with the exception of holiday-relevant stuff that stands a better chance of breaking through the PR blitz that all the other studios are doing.

(also, apologies to all the HTR backers for the lack of "big" updates lately - I have a bunch of stuff to show off, I just need to record it / process the video / upload / blah)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Shalinor posted:

The general rule is that you release NOTHING during the window beginning with Thanksgiving and ending January 2nd, unless you're in the EA/Ubisoft/etc tier of studio. That extends to Kickstarters, new releases, game DLC, basically anything... with the exception of holiday-relevant stuff that stands a better chance of breaking through the PR blitz that all the other studios are doing.

(also, apologies to all the HTR backers for the lack of "big" updates lately - I have a bunch of stuff to show off, I just need to record it / process the video / upload / blah)

That is probably a good idea considering the many other issues you'd have with having lots of people working over the holidays to try and keep everything running smoothly on release/reveal, including with kickstarters.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Bieeardo posted:

In other newslike things, the Detective Grimoire devs are spending the night individually e-mailing download details for three thousand copies of the game. After all this time, I can't even muster the enthusiasm for an emote.

I haven't gotten my mail yet. Has anyone here received theirs?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Renoistic posted:

I haven't gotten my mail yet. Has anyone here received theirs?

Apparently…

An update to some post on Kickstarer posted:

UPDATE: OK, looks like the program I used to send the code emails lied to me and didn't actually work. I'm installing a new one right now and I'll get them out to you soon! All the hard work with spreadsheets is already done.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tippis posted:

Apparently…

That's some quality QA right there. He didn't try to also send one to himself, at the very least?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The Unwritten is pretty much dead

First project I backed that went bad out of about 20.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
It's pretty depressing to read that family health issues [and the associated costs] were the biggest issue leading to the collapse of this project.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Yeah, I'm sad to hear about Unwritten Passage. It was one of the more ambitious and unique ideas out there. Exactly the kind of thing Kickstarter is for in my opinion. Knowing Joe from when we were at Arkane though, I'm absolutely sure he put everything into the project. I'm happy I was able to give a game like that a chance to be made.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wargirlgames/my-little-dictator-a-battle-visual-novel

Somehow this got funded. It got all the stretch goals too.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I hope, for the sake of basic decency, this is more Hetalia, and less actual WWII. But yeah, I can barely comprehend the existence of the game as a whole. I mean, who thought, 'I really wish Hitler was a hot girl I could have sex with'?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

I mean, who thought, 'I really wish Hitler was a hot underaged girl I could have sex with'?

Fixed that for you, and the answer is creepy rear end weeaboos.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Decius posted:

That's a bummer, I was really looking forward to that game. It looked like it was going to be pretty unique.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~

I'm sad I missed being able to fund it, looks like a good game!

I do second that it looks a lot more like Hetalia than factual which is good.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

I hope, for the sake of basic decency, this is more Hetalia, and less actual WWII. But yeah, I can barely comprehend the existence of the game as a whole. I mean, who thought, 'I really wish Hitler was a hot girl I could have sex with'?

It's even worse than that its "I wish that the had imperial Japanese Army teamed up with Hitler to win the war." Plus its being made by the same people who brought you “Transformed into Females!! Biographies of World Dictators” featuring 70 Dictators!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Decius posted:

In situations like these I really think the devs should release all the assets and code in whatever state it is in. I think that is always the fairest option because backers at least see something produced even if unfinished and for full transparency everyone can see how far along you were. If there is enough of a promise in what is already done there might even be a community effort to complete it.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Speaking of dead stuff, I just caught the Rainfall announcement yesterday. Thanks to those who donated, I enjoyed working on the project. Hopefully we'll try to make it up in the future. More thoughts here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

"The coder just now learned it was officially announced as dead" is kinda the last nail in the coffin that is the mismanagement of that project, really. :smith:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

FuzzySlippers posted:

In situations like these I really think the devs should release all the assets and code in whatever state it is in. I think that is always the fairest option because backers at least see something produced even if unfinished and for full transparency everyone can see how far along you were. If there is enough of a promise in what is already done there might even be a community effort to complete it.

My guess is maybe they weren't that far along to begin with, which is weird since the original pitch had some pretty in-progress looking stuff, like the editor and things like that. What a bummer, I doubt it'll ever come out and I still really want to play "Civ + Oregon Trail."

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Boo, Detective Grimoire is cute, but prone to crashing. Got two crashes for doing nothing in particular in about 15 minutes playing on my iPhone. The game seems to save pretty often, but it's still annoying to deal with.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hawkgirl posted:

Boo, Detective Grimoire is cute, but prone to crashing. Got two crashes for doing nothing in particular in about 15 minutes playing on my iPhone. The game seems to save pretty often, but it's still annoying to deal with.

Yeah, won't run successfully on my android devices so far. I'm glad they finally got it out, but looks like it still isn't ready for prime time.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

CottonWolf posted:

yeah seriously, what makes someone think people would gently caress Hitler if he were a hot anime babe? no stache = no deal

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Hawkgirl posted:

Huh. I had a weird hang that I had to quit out of, but otherwise it was smooth sailing for the couple of hours I took to finish it. The intended for touchscreen interface was a bit weird in places on this windows machine though.

It's a cute game. Not a great game, and bits like that suspicious/not suspicious tag for clues seem superfluous, but a cute game.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Banner Watch is on Steam now with a release date quickly approaching, has anyone received a key from them yet?

e: the name of the game is actually Banner Saga

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Banner Watch is on Steam now with a release date quickly approaching, has anyone received a key from them yet?

e: the name of the game is actually Banner Saga

When you have it, can you give you review in this thread?

I only see videos of the multiplayer and it seems the combat is quite dull and lacking in various things to do.

I love tactics games but based on those videos I am now unsure.

Thanks in advance.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Sethmaster posted:

I only see videos of the multiplayer and it seems the combat is quite dull and lacking in various things to do.

Thanks in advance.

I imagine other people will do a better job with a full review than I would, but I'll post my thoughts and feelings, sure.

I checked the KS page and on Dec 17 they updated to say they were on Steam and that we'd all get the pre-order bonuses, but no mention of how we will get the keys, and plenty of people in the comments asking. I imagine backers will get an email sooner or later, though, just glad to see I didn't miss it.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Sethmaster posted:

Thanks in advance.

RPS did an article on the preview build and their response was somewhat mixed:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/16/hands-on-verdict-the-banner-saga/

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Detective Grimoire seems to have some problems with crashing when you're looking through the case files. I'm enjoying it so far, though. It's like a less Japanese Phoenix Wright with light puzzle elements and streamlined interrogations and decent voice acting.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sethmaster posted:

The combat in what little I played of Factions was quite good. But admittedly, I didn't play too much, I've been mainly waiting for the single player. The dynamic where you maim everyone, then start picking them off once everyone has been weakened into impotence was, I thought, pretty interesting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CottonWolf posted:

The combat in what little I played of Factions was quite good. But admittedly, I didn't play too much, I've been mainly waiting for the single player. The dynamic where you maim everyone, then start picking them off once everyone has been weakened into impotence was, I thought, pretty interesting.

Their combat tutorial better be good, because the game requires a strategy that is the complete opposite from every other strategy game out there of similar look.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
There are some odd bits to the tactics in Factions, but I don't think that's necessarily a negative thing. I put 23 hours into it according to Steam, so I'm not a super pro but I soaked in it long enough to have some opinions:

When you know that your enemy is going to rotate through each of their dudes in turn (in an order that is clearly visible), it doesn't take long to get a good grip on the fact that it will benefit you to make them use a few weakened units in that cycle rather than just rotating through a few strong units over and over. So while this may be a little counterintuitive at first, it's not rocket surgery.

It's also not necessarily that simple. If a unit has a lot of exertion and remaining will, they can still be very dangerous even when wounded (depending on their special skill), so it can be better to just kill them off early. It's also interesting to try to judge when it is time to do the push to really cut down the enemy team's size, because if you wait too late they will chip away at you until you are in the same situation as them. Finally, killing an enemy unit grants you bonus willpower that you can give to any of your own units, which can be critical. (Players who only tried Factions early in its run may not have seen that last mechanic.)

It's not perfect by a long shot but I thought it had some good choices and tension.

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Johnny Law posted:

There are some odd bits to the tactics in Factions, but I don't think that's necessarily a negative thing. I put 23 hours into it according to Steam, so I'm not a super pro but I soaked in it long enough to have some opinions:

When you know that your enemy is going to rotate through each of their dudes in turn (in an order that is clearly visible), it doesn't take long to get a good grip on the fact that it will benefit you to make them use a few weakened units in that cycle rather than just rotating through a few strong units over and over. So while this may be a little counterintuitive at first, it's not rocket surgery.

It's also not necessarily that simple. If a unit has a lot of exertion and remaining will, they can still be very dangerous even when wounded (depending on their special skill), so it can be better to just kill them off early. It's also interesting to try to judge when it is time to do the push to really cut down the enemy team's size, because if you wait too late they will chip away at you until you are in the same situation as them. Finally, killing an enemy unit grants you bonus willpower that you can give to any of your own units, which can be critical. (Players who only tried Factions early in its run may not have seen that last mechanic.)

It's not perfect by a long shot but I thought it had some good choices and tension.

The issue I have is less about the viability of their battle system and more of a player enjoyment/reward issue
As an example, progression in xcom means your units learn new skills, you gain new techs,new enemies and battle in new maps.
Basically every battle become fun and exciting mainly due to those four reasons until you overstay at the final part of the game when everything become dull
because no more new skills, no more new tech and no new enemies despite the tension and choices are still there (enemies are quite strong etc.).
So, back to banner, my concern is that will the dull part occur very early due to no changes in tactic (yours/enemies)? Is there increasing amount of battle skills available or not? How do banner ensure the player will keep enjoying the battle system and not be bored?

I think I will only find those out once you all play the game and tell us how is it.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm not complaining, but I do wish they hadn't tried to reinvent the tactical grid combat wheel.

We'll see. Honestly, I backed The Dead Linger, too, so Banner Saga pretty much can't be the worst KS game I own on Steam.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I'm not complaining, but I do wish they hadn't tried to reinvent the tactical grid combat wheel.

We'll see. Honestly, I backed The Dead Linger, too, so Banner Saga pretty much can't be the worst KS game I own on Steam.

I don't really know anything about The Banner Saga but I think it's hilarious how low the enthusiasm for it has been whenever I see it mentioned. "I backed The Banner Saga because if we're lucky it might be an ok tactical rpg, I guess :(". If everyone's so down on it how did it get backed in the first place?

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't really know anything about The Banner Saga but I think it's hilarious how low the enthusiasm for it has been whenever I see it mentioned. "I backed The Banner Saga because if we're lucky it might be an ok tactical rpg, I guess :(". If everyone's so down on it how did it get backed in the first place?
They probably shouldn't of released that F2P thing so early.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Even if combat ends up sucking in The Banner Saga, the art and music are going to be amazing. I think the combat will be okay anyway, from the little bit I tried when they first released Factions.

January 14 will be a pretty big day for Kickstarters. The Banner Saga and finally the beta for the first part of Doublefine's Broken Age.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

Hype, but so's just about any other complex Kickstarter project. There's goon involvement, which was a huge boost here. Their promo graphics and mock-ups were pretty much second-to-none when they hit early Kickstarter, which definitely boosted appeal. A lot of games benefited from that first big rush at the site, when people would toss money at anything that looked interesting. People were a lot more apt to take pitches and promises at face value, and inject their own hopes and assumptions into the cracks. Not that they aren't still, but at least we've seen enough high-profile failures, vanishing acts and just plain disappointments to develop some degree of criticism here.

I think the bloom went off the rose for some people when they put that skirmish version out. The rest is probably a realization that no matter what comes out mid-month, or how good it is, it won't be exactly what they were hoping for since the project went up on Kickstarter.

It isn't my kind of game, but I hope it turns out okay for everyone involved. Broken Age is the one I'm waiting on uncertainly this month.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Bieeardo posted:

It isn't my kind of game, but I hope it turns out okay for everyone involved. Broken Age is the one I'm waiting on uncertainly this month.

Is the first part coming out this month? I hate being spoiled so I have ignored every update. I'm not too keen on the whole "splitting the game into parts" thing but what can you do. The new Broken Sword game was pretty good but I definitely would have preferred to wait instead of only receiving half the game and having to wait for the next part.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Renoistic posted:

Is the first part coming out this month? I hate being spoiled so I have ignored every update. I'm not too keen on the whole "splitting the game into parts" thing but what can you do. The new Broken Sword game was pretty good but I definitely would have preferred to wait instead of only receiving half the game and having to wait for the next part.
Oh poo poo, that's right, the first segment is supposed to be released sometime this month. It's going to be through the Steam Early Access thing at first though, there's not an exact date on that other than "January", and I'd imagine the full official release of Part I is going to be a bit longer.

Once it comes out, do yourself a favor and watch the documentary videos, they're awesome. I don't think they give away a whole lot, but if you want to go in completely blind you'd probably want to wait.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh poo poo, that's right, the first segment is supposed to be released sometime this month. It's going to be through the Steam Early Access thing at first though, there's not an exact date on that other than "January", and I'd imagine the full official release of Part I is going to be a bit longer.

Once it comes out, do yourself a favor and watch the documentary videos, they're awesome. I don't think they give away a whole lot, but if you want to go in completely blind you'd probably want to wait.

So I've heard. I might do that later on but for now I'm just going to wait, like you suggested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've always wondered why Double Fine decided to put the first part on Early Access rather than just release it as "Part One." Maybe because their kickstarter didn't say anything about it being episodic, they do seem to want to stick right down to the letter of their kickstarter pitch.