Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut Up Spanish
Nov 6, 2010
Does anybody have any great tips on flavourings for pickled beetroot? At the moment I'm thinking something like cumin and mustard seeds as the pickling spices but I've never pickled beetroot before so I would appreciate any advice from someone who has!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, last night I tried making wine jelly. It was the first time I ever tried canning anything, and it went well, except that I accidentally let the jelly boil over once during the process. I guess I just have to use a bigger pot and watch the heat a little more closely. Anyway, after filling the jars, I had a bit left over, which I put into a small container and straight into the fridge, with the intent to use this morning. Cut to breakfast, and the jelly tasted great, but it had set very hard. Like, jello-cubes-in-a-dehumidifier hard. I ended up having to microwave the jelly for 10 seconds to melt it enough to spread on toast.

The recipe I followed was this one, from allrecipes. I followed it exactly, except for the amount of wine. I had 3 cups, and it needs 3 1/2 cups. Would that half of a cup of wine really made that much of a difference? The only other thing I can think of is maybe I boiled it too long. I haven't opened any of the jars that I made, as they processed properly and got a good seal, so I don't know if this is a problem for all of the jars, or what. Anyone have any advice on this? Is the jelly still usable? Should I toss it and start over?

bosko
Dec 13, 2006

Joe Friday posted:

A note about Stoves! Important!
The most basic thing you will need is a heat source, your stove. However you cannot can on a flat top glass/ceramic stove! Why? These stoves have heat sensors that will not allow the stovetop to get to a certain temperature and endanger the stovetop shattering. This sensor will likely fluctuate or automatically turn on and off, never allowing your huge pot of water to come to a boil and thus, not safely canning your food. Check with your stove manufacturer to see if it can handle a flat bottom canner and maintain high temperatures for long periods of time.

Thanks for the great OP! I have one question. I'm in a rental apartment and my stove is one of those flat tops, I think it's ceramic. But, I can easily boil huge pots of water all the time. Am I misreading this or is my stove simply fine?

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I can and jar regularly on glass tops (and even boil water too!!). I guess there's a slight chance of extremely lovely or old glass tops having issues with temperature regulation but "doesn't get hot enough" is hilariously misinformed. It should read "sure, you can do these things but it typically will take a little longer to boil/return to a boil."

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

neogeo0823 posted:

So, last night I tried making wine jelly. It was the first time I ever tried canning anything, and it went well, except that I accidentally let the jelly boil over once during the process. I guess I just have to use a bigger pot and watch the heat a little more closely. Anyway, after filling the jars, I had a bit left over, which I put into a small container and straight into the fridge, with the intent to use this morning. Cut to breakfast, and the jelly tasted great, but it had set very hard. Like, jello-cubes-in-a-dehumidifier hard. I ended up having to microwave the jelly for 10 seconds to melt it enough to spread on toast.

The recipe I followed was this one, from allrecipes. I followed it exactly, except for the amount of wine. I had 3 cups, and it needs 3 1/2 cups. Would that half of a cup of wine really made that much of a difference? The only other thing I can think of is maybe I boiled it too long. I haven't opened any of the jars that I made, as they processed properly and got a good seal, so I don't know if this is a problem for all of the jars, or what. Anyone have any advice on this? Is the jelly still usable? Should I toss it and start over?

Probably both. That 1/2 cup probably did make a big difference assuming you didn't scale anything else down. That's a 15% decrease in the amount of liquid you're using, and it sounds like you overcooked it. You can probably still use it, and your jars might not be as bad because they'll be room temperature, but once they go in the fridge, they will likely be too hard.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, I think both were the case. I made 2 more batches for Christmas gifts, which were made exactly as the recipe described, and the jelly actually came out slightly loose. Not like syrup or anything, but loose enough that after sitting for 2 days on the table, if you held the jars sideways, you could see the jelly pulling away from the jar. Once it goes in the fridge, it should be fine, but yeah, it's surprising how much a of a difference that half a cup can make.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I can and jar regularly on glass tops (and even boil water too!!). I guess there's a slight chance of extremely lovely or old glass tops having issues with temperature regulation but "doesn't get hot enough" is hilariously misinformed. It should read "sure, you can do these things but it typically will take a little longer to boil/return to a boil."

Yes, this was discussed earlier in this thread. I've come to believe that the rule in the OP applies to early flat top stoves, and that the current ones are OK (from what we have collectively seen).

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Ditto. I can on my flattop, waterbath and pressure. No problems.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I do not currently have a pressure canner, but I'd like to invest in one. My husband makes a very good chili with ground beef, store-bought pasta sauce, water, and a mix of spices. Am I able to "can" that in a pressure canner or do I need to follow an approved recipe so that I don't kill everyone of botulism? I always follow recipes for my water bath canning; not sure if that applies to pressure canning as well.

Thanks.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
You can pressure can it, and you don't need to follow a specific recipe, you just need to know the nature of what you are canning. "Tomato and meat sauce." Chances are you want to can it in quart jars, packed hot, 70 min at 15 psi.

http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-spaghetti-sauce.html

Waterbath recipes are a little fussier because you must have the acid level right and no meat to be safe. Also if you're making jelly if you screw up the gelatin won't set.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Don't let the price of a good pressure canner scare you. The price is worth it for preserving food that tastes better than nearly anything bought in a supermarket. They're also great for cooking meals in record time.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Don't let the price of a good pressure canner scare you. The price is worth it for preserving food that tastes better than nearly anything bought in a supermarket. They're also great for cooking meals in record time.

I bought a pressure cooker years ago with intentions of learning pressure canning to add to my pickling repertoire. I still haven't canned once but I've got more than my money's worth simply from being able to cook dry beans from start to finish in a hour.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I'm stuck in north-central Florida where no one has heard of Chicago-style hot giardiniera. Ordering it is expensive and it comes in jars that are way too big.

I'd like to try making my own. I'm thinking of starting with this recipe as a starting point. I feel like the ingredients should be cooked a bit to soften their texture/color to be more in line with what I'm used to. Would it be okay to put them in the vinegar mixture while it's boiling and then just transfer all of that to jars? Alternately, does anyone have a better recipe?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
That recipe looks fine. The ten-minute processing time should be quite sufficient to soften the veg. I wouldn't bother cooking it more.

I just made some; fridge-pickled, not processed, using this recipe. It's tasty but olive oil in a refrigerator pickle is a kind of dumb idea, it has to sit out to let the oil melt.

PoopsMcGee
Oct 6, 2013
Diluting the brine wouldn't do anything for flavors that have already been absorbed, so your batch just kind of is what it is. A lot of people support re-using old brine, but I'm not among their ranks. It's not like white vinegar is an expensive commodity. I'd toss it all and try again. ((Edit: hell, the app for the site made a month old post seem like the most recent. Sorry on the seemingly off tangent response.))

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would anyone have any experience in making jellies with wine? I found jelly-making recipes in a Betty Crocker cookbook older than I am. I also saw neogeo0823's post above, but this specific recipe calls for using port and also uses less sugar. Would I be able to use another type of dessert wine if I can't get my hands on port?

(I don't know anything about wine, either)

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I attended a canning seminar tonight - it was great! I can't wait to get started! I'm not a jelly consumer, myself, so I'm looking forward to doing other stuff.

It seems to me, a guy who has nothing canning-related, that the best purchase I could make would be a pressure canner - it would function as a normal waterbath canner when i'd want it to, I can do all kinds of pressure canning (probably lots of stocks/sauces, to start), and on top of that I can use it as a pressure cooker (right?!).

So - is there a good one-size-fits all? Or is that asking too much from one humble pot? I don't currently have a stock pot, so at the very least it'll have dual function as a stock pot + pressure canner.

And beyond that - are there any resources you guys would suggest to get started? A recipe book for stocks + sauces, or a guide to newbies for pressure canning?

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Guitarchitect posted:

I attended a canning seminar tonight - it was great! I can't wait to get started! I'm not a jelly consumer, myself, so I'm looking forward to doing other stuff.

It seems to me, a guy who has nothing canning-related, that the best purchase I could make would be a pressure canner - it would function as a normal waterbath canner when i'd want it to, I can do all kinds of pressure canning (probably lots of stocks/sauces, to start), and on top of that I can use it as a pressure cooker (right?!).

So - is there a good one-size-fits all? Or is that asking too much from one humble pot? I don't currently have a stock pot, so at the very least it'll have dual function as a stock pot + pressure canner.

And beyond that - are there any resources you guys would suggest to get started? A recipe book for stocks + sauces, or a guide to newbies for pressure canning?
I never knew canning seminars were a thing. Was this at a farmer's market or something? And did you happen to get that pressure canner? I was told by one source to check out places like Goodwill for one. For what I want to do though, I think I'm just gonna find a dutch oven since I don't plan to do anything low-acid for a while now.

As for references, what I wound up doing is buying a Southern Living canning book specifically for the jelly/preserves/conserves part. I plan to choose the recipe with the smallest yield in case I mess up, and in this case I chose jalapeno jelly since it makes like 3 half-pints.

I also learned onion marmalade is a thing.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Onion jam is loving delicious on pate.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I just got some homemade salsa and hot sauce at the farmer's market for $6 a jar/bottle each. They're good, but expensive. I wanna make my own.

Any advice? It seems like a lot of hot sauces will keep for a long time at room temperature after opening. Cholula, for instance, doesn't seem to have any preservatives (besides vinegar).

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I jarred a batch of 8 or so pints of tomatillo salsa a few weeks ago and it turned out amazing. I found a roast tomatillo recipe online and just added some cilantro and adjusted the spices to my tastes.

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

You guys have inspired me to pickle some tomatoes. mmmm

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

FaradayCage posted:

I just got some homemade salsa and hot sauce at the farmer's market for $6 a jar/bottle each. They're good, but expensive. I wanna make my own.

Any advice? It seems like a lot of hot sauces will keep for a long time at room temperature after opening. Cholula, for instance, doesn't seem to have any preservatives (besides vinegar).

Salsa you'd need to can in a waterbath unless you're making batches that are smaller than what you'd eat in a few weeks. Wait for tomato season then buy "seconds" of tomatoes from the farmers market. In my area it's $10 for a 25 lb box of slightly bruised, overripe, and just ugly tomatoes. That's what I use for canning.

Don't have a lot of advice on the hot sauce. Cholula keeps at room temp because it's mostly salt and vinegar, which are both preservatives.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I jarred a batch of 8 or so pints of tomatillo salsa a few weeks ago and it turned out amazing. I found a roast tomatillo recipe online and just added some cilantro and adjusted the spices to my tastes.

Share the recipe? I would love a recipe for amazing salsa verde.

This past weekend I jarred up the 15 pounds of sauerkraut I had in the crock since mid-March. 2 quarts went to my parents for the Memorial Day family bbq, the rest is in the fridge. One quart is for a friend. Out of the 6 quarts yield, half of it is going to other people, and more folks are asking if I can spare a quart or two for them. It's completely my fault for sharing it in the first place.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I'm talking with this shop owner that sells jams that they make there and ask them about the supplier for his jars and to see the jars. Turns out they just use the adhesive top jars. Where you boil the lid for a bit to soften the adhesive and put it on the hot jar of jam or whatever.

This is where my question comes in, aren't these not safe? Don't you need a water bath or some prolonged submersion in heat? This whole thing is in Korea, so we don't have the same FDA regulations and what regulations there are are often ignored.

Is there any problem with just boiling the lid and sticking it on a hot jar of food? For jam? For pickles? For veggies?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

pr0k posted:

Salsa you'd need to can in a waterbath unless you're making batches that are smaller than what you'd eat in a few weeks. Wait for tomato season then buy "seconds" of tomatoes from the farmers market. In my area it's $10 for a 25 lb box of slightly bruised, overripe, and just ugly tomatoes. That's what I use for canning.

Don't have a lot of advice on the hot sauce. Cholula keeps at room temp because it's mostly salt and vinegar, which are both preservatives.

You sure you wouldn't have to pressure can salsa? Is the pH right for a waterbath?

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Guitarchitect posted:

You sure you wouldn't have to pressure can salsa? Is the pH right for a waterbath?

Curious about this too. I would think you'd need to pressure can but if you've got a legit water bath recipe I'd love to see it. I don't have a pressure canner but love me some tomatoes.

e: + a question. Is there a reason some jam recipes call for fresh lemon juice and some call for bottled? Can I use them interchangeably? I'm specifically referring to two blueberry jam recipes from the same book (Preserving by the Pint from the Food in Jars lady).

frenchnewwave fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 14, 2014

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Salsa is usually canned in a waterbath. Tomatoes are acidic, plus most salsas have added vinegar or lime juice whether they're being canned or not. Canning recipes simply add a bit more acid to make sure the pH is correct.

My favorite canned salsa recipe is from Ball, actually. It's more of a traditional Mexican salsa that gets most of its flavor from toasted, soaked and pureed dried chiles. It's bulked out with roasted tomatoes and tomatillos, onions and garlic and it's dark and smoky. It's awesome. http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipe.aspx?r=256

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Ever wonder what burnt strawberry jam tastes like? Awful! :( :( :(

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I thought I would need 10 jars, I prepared/sterilized 10 jars, lids, and rings. I ended only using 7, so now I have 3 jar lids that have been sterilized but not used. Can I use them for a later batch or is the ring compromised? I washed them in hot soapy water and had them set in a hot water bath, they're out and dried now.

Also, candied jalapenos:

Indentured Servant
Aug 31, 2008
Yeah, you can reuse the lids.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
If anyone's been having trouble using Sure-Jell pectin recently, there is a reason. Some astute canners from my home state caught the error.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

theacox posted:

If anyone's been having trouble using Sure-Jell pectin recently, there is a reason. Some astute canners from my home state caught the error.

It amuses me that this is what constitutes a scandal in the Midwest.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

dino. posted:

It amuses me that this is what constitutes a scandal in the Midwest.

Making strawberry jam is serious business. I made two batches last weekend myself.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Shut Up Spanish posted:

Does anybody have any great tips on flavourings for pickled beetroot? At the moment I'm thinking something like cumin and mustard seeds as the pickling spices but I've never pickled beetroot before so I would appreciate any advice from someone who has!

I've never pickled my own beets and pickling has just become a recent obsession of mine but I'd think that various combinations of citrus zest, apple cider vinegar, caraway seed, maple syrup, honey, caper brine, or fennel seed would be pretty great off the top of my head.

Shut Up Spanish
Nov 6, 2010

Rockzilla posted:

I've never pickled my own beets and pickling has just become a recent obsession of mine but I'd think that various combinations of citrus zest, apple cider vinegar, caraway seed, maple syrup, honey, caper brine, or fennel seed would be pretty great off the top of my head.

I think I ended up using cumin seeds, coriander seeds and chilli flakes and they were out of this world delicious - SO much better than what I normally buy in the shops! The goal for this year is to grow shitloads of beetroot so that I can pickle more than one jar this time!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://food52.com/recipes/5038-lacto-fermented-pickles-with-garlic-scapes

I have the dill and scapes laying around and really want to give this a go- till now I've only ever done "improper" pickles with vinegar. Is there anything in this recipe that raises an eyebrow? Is the processing method safe?

The recipe recommends running the jars through a dishwasher- I was planning on properly sanitizing them in a water bath beforehand.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Jewmanji posted:

https://food52.com/recipes/5038-lacto-fermented-pickles-with-garlic-scapes

I have the dill and scapes laying around and really want to give this a go- till now I've only ever done "improper" pickles with vinegar. Is there anything in this recipe that raises an eyebrow? Is the processing method safe?

The recipe recommends running the jars through a dishwasher- I was planning on properly sanitizing them in a water bath beforehand.

Why don't you just pickle the scapes by themselves? They kind of turn out like really garlicy pickled green beans. Plus they look pretty in the jar, you wind them around in the jar and fill in with straight stems in the middle.

Doesn't matter how you sanitize your jars as long as they're sanitized. Some people do dishwasher, some boil, some soapy water, etc.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Posting this here because I hadn't run across it before. It's a pectin calculator on Ball's website. Basically lets you scale up and down your jams from 1-10 jars with exact measurements. http://www.freshpreserving.com/tools/pectin-calculator

Helped me to make 7 jars of black forest preserves (cherry, chocolate and almond) and then 5 jars of plain cherry from the rest of the cherries and sugar I had left. Neato.

Also found the most perfect tiny pickling cukes at the farmer's market Saturday and of course had to put up 4 quarts of kosher dills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
I thought I'd try canning with blackberries, since the farm where I'm staying has lots of volunteers I can harvest for free. I googled for a recipe and found tons of blogspam-looking stuff. Example: http://bakingamoment.com/how-to-make-seedless-blackberry-jam-no-pectin/ Does anybody have one they've actually tried?