Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The early seasons of Teen Titans were still pretty neat though.

I mean, Robin getting coerced into taking Killer Moth's daughter to the prom is a dumb and goofy plot, but it was still drat fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So on January 20th Cartoon Network is airing a new computer animated Powerpuff Girls special
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AFNRPyGCEs
The new style is interesting at least.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I can't say I like the new style, but if the humor's anything as good as the old show, I'll be totally down for it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm okay with the style, but the animation is worrying me; their movements look kinda clunky in the trailer.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

My two-year-old daughter wanted to watch a little TV before dinner last night, so we flipped around and ended up on something called Johnny Test. It was, without question, the most spastic loving show I have ever seen. Everyone gives their lines as fast as humanly possible, every motion is coupled with a whip-crack sound effect, and no scene lasts longer than like 5 seconds. Is this part of the general wacky-fying going on over at Cartoon Network? Because I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Zombie Samurai posted:

My two-year-old daughter wanted to watch a little TV before dinner last night, so we flipped around and ended up on something called Johnny Test. It was, without question, the most spastic loving show I have ever seen. Everyone gives their lines as fast as humanly possible, every motion is coupled with a whip-crack sound effect, and no scene lasts longer than like 5 seconds. Is this part of the general wacky-fying going on over at Cartoon Network? Because I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

That show has been on for years and is inexplicably really popular. Johnny Test is one of those few shows I can't even hate-watch, because just looking at still frames of it is enough to piss me off.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

axleblaze posted:

So on January 20th Cartoon Network is airing a new computer animated Powerpuff Girls special

So I like the style and animation and everything, but what I don't get is why they changed up the girls' designs when all the other characters are pretty much how they've always looked. I don't hate the designs for them I guess but meh

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zombie Samurai posted:

It's a Canadian cartoon that only exists because there's a law requiring Canadian networks to show a certain amount of Canadian-made content, so they churn out the cheapest LCD crap they can to fill slots and then Cartoon Networks buys it for a song to fill gaps in their scheduling.

Macaluso posted:

So I like the style and animation and everything, but what I don't get is why they changed up the girls' designs when all the other characters are pretty much how they've always looked. I don't hate the designs for them I guess but meh

I'm usually all for letting people fool around with the art style for one-off specials but yeah, I don't like it. That big-eyed, no-outline style is really popular with girls' toys and cartoons right now so I'm not surprised they went with it though, everything is either than or Monster High-style big heads and spindly bodies.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm okay with the style, but the animation is worrying me; their movements look kinda clunky in the trailer.

Yeah, the art style and animation makes it look like they tried to animate construction paper replicas of the characters from the original show.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Zombie Samurai posted:

Is this part of the general wacky-fying going on over at Cartoon Network? Because I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

Johnny Test is definitely not the standard for CN. Sure, it suckage may count for a great deal. But there's Adventure Time, Regular Show, Amazing World of Gumball, Uncle Grandpa, and Stephen Universe. There's also Teen Titans Go!, which moves almost as fast as Johnny Test, but is a much, much better show. The new Loony Toons Show is really good too, when they want to air it. And while I'm on a ramble, find a way to watch the two-season Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc., it's amazing.

So... I guess my point is, if you can wade through all the cheap programming like Johnny Test and whatever Lego series is on, you can find some pretty good stuff.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

axleblaze posted:

I've seen this commercial a lot lately, what with being on vacation and watching cartoons every day, and I finally figured out today what about the art style bothers me.

Every character is always lit from the side. Watch it right now. Either the light source is directly offscreen to the right, or directly offscreen to the left, and it burns with the intensity of a thousand suns.

e: Mojo is actually lit from underneath in the final shot. It's loving weird and jarring.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh... oh god. You're right :psyduck:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

El Tortuga posted:

Johnny Test is definitely not the standard for CN. Sure, it suckage may count for a great deal. But there's Adventure Time, Regular Show, Amazing World of Gumball, Uncle Grandpa, and Stephen Universe. There's also Teen Titans Go!, which moves almost as fast as Johnny Test, but is a much, much better show. The new Loony Toons Show is really good too, when they want to air it. And while I'm on a ramble, find a way to watch the two-season Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc., it's amazing.

So... I guess my point is, if you can wade through all the cheap programming like Johnny Test and whatever Lego series is on, you can find some pretty good stuff.

Actually, according to Paul Dini from Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast, this is exactly what CN wants and will be the standard soon.

They like the "wackiness" of Regular Show and Adventure Time and they're dead set on believing that that is the ONLY reason those shows are so popular. So, we have Johnny Test (which was around back on the old Kids WB block on The CW), Uncle Grandpa, and Teen Titans GO! (no matter if you like TTG or not, this is why it exists :v:). Expect more.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm still convinced Johnny Test is a cruel practical joke Canada's been playing on us for years just to repay the US for years of jokes in media concerning Canadians.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Actually, according to Paul Dini from Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast, this is exactly what CN wants and will be the standard soon.

They like the "wackiness" of Regular Show and Adventure Time and they're dead set on believing that that is the ONLY reason those shows are so popular. So, we have Johnny Test (which was around back on the old Kids WB block on The CW), Uncle Grandpa, and Teen Titans GO! (no matter if you like TTG or not, this is why it exists :v:). Expect more.

Well Johnny Test is an old import that's been on for a while now. This trend toward "wackiness" tend to be all new originals. If "wackier" means I get more shows like TTG, Adventure Time, and Regular Show, bring on the loving wacky, I say.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I'm still convinced Johnny Test is a cruel practical joke Canada's been playing on us for years just to repay the US for years of jokes in media concerning Canadians.

Well Johnny Test is an old import that's been on for a while now. This trend toward "wackiness" tend to be all new originals. If "wackier" means I get more shows like TTG, Adventure Time, and Regular Show, bring on the loving wacky, I say.

As long as no girls watch the show, it might stand a chance on CN's lineup. :v:

Still can't believe they haven't gotten much flack for that but ah well.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ThermoPhysical posted:

As long as no girls watch the show, it might stand a chance on CN's lineup. :v:

Still can't believe they haven't gotten much flack for that but ah well.

That was all secondhand via Paul Dini venting about his failed superhero show so, yeah.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That was all secondhand via Paul Dini venting about his failed superhero show so, yeah.

Considering the only other alternative is the fan-made conclusion with "Green Lantern's movie was bad and so were the toys, but then the toys for YJ were also bad, so I bet that's why it was cancelled", I'd say Paul Dini's rant is the only "official" thing we'll actually get as CN simply cancelled it and the GL cartoon without word as to why. They also seem to be doing the same with Beware the Batman.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the exact reason why. Not just toy sales but CN's higher ups being idiots about their own shows and why they're popular. With them cancelling yet another show in the same style (and treating Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated like crap as well, though it wasn't ended...just put on hiatus without telling anyone why), I'm not doubting a word Dini says.

Seriously though, SD:MI had people on Tumblr constantly messaging the official SD:MI Tumblr page until they had to say they didn't know what CN was doing...they had all of the episodes, they just didn't air them for whatever reason. Most people ended up watching on YouTube since the episodes ended up airing in other countries long before the US ever saw them.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
One thing that I think probably contributed to BTB failing the most is the animation. For GL: TAS, Giancarlo Volpe said that the use of CG made things too prohibitively expensive for the show to continue (I remember that he tweeted that the CG made an episode of GL twice as expensive as an episode of YJ). Although reusing models was easy, every new object took a lot of time and money to render. I assume that this hurt BTB even more so, considering they didn't even have a space setting to excuse simplistic, odd backgrounds and character models.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

One thing that I think probably contributed to BTB failing the most is the animation. For GL: TAS, Giancarlo Volpe said that the use of CG made things too prohibitively expensive for the show to continue (I remember that he tweeted that the CG made an episode of GL twice as expensive as an episode of YJ). Although reusing models was easy, every new object took a lot of time and money to render. I assume that this hurt BTB even more so, considering they didn't even have a space setting to excuse simplistic, odd backgrounds and character models.

How does that explain the new Transformers series, then? That show changed locations and added new characters on a regular basis. I suppose it also did a pretty solid toy line though, as well.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

McSpanky posted:

How does that explain the new Transformers series, then? That show changed locations and added new characters on a regular basis. I suppose it also did a pretty solid toy line though, as well.

Not only that, but The Hub probably has higher tolerance for a flagship title going over-budget. Cartoon Network doesn't really need any of the DC shows, and that gives less room for error than an original (CN Studios) production or a cheap acquisition.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Considering the only other alternative is the fan-made conclusion with "Green Lantern's movie was bad and so were the toys, but then the toys for YJ were also bad, so I bet that's why it was cancelled", I'd say Paul Dini's rant is the only "official" thing we'll actually get as CN simply cancelled it and the GL cartoon without word as to why. They also seem to be doing the same with Beware the Batman.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the exact reason why. Not just toy sales but CN's higher ups being idiots about their own shows and why they're popular. With them cancelling yet another show in the same style (and treating Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated like crap as well, though it wasn't ended...just put on hiatus without telling anyone why), I'm not doubting a word Dini says.

But Scooby-Doo: MI was ended. It got poo poo timeslots and aired inconsistently, but it did at least get an ending.

Beware the Batman takes the crown from "The Batman" for "worst Batman show in the past 25 years" so good riddance I say.

McSpanky posted:

Really? Because I didn't watch the last season or so but almost every episode in the first 2-3 seasons took place in vast, empty expanses of desert.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

The toy line is all that matters when it comes to Transformers. I mean, it's a heavy contributor to shows staying on the air in other franchises, but Transformers shows pretty much live and die by how much merch their particular line moves. Hasbro is a fickle mistress and will cancel a series quick otherwise.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

Really? Because I didn't watch the last season or so but almost every episode in the first 2-3 seasons took place in vast, empty expanses of desert.

Also they're robots and vehicles, which are like the two easiest things to render and animate in CGI.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

raditts posted:

Beware the Batman takes the crown from "The Batman" for "worst Batman show in the past 25 years" so good riddance I say.
Which isn't that hard because once The Batman stopped trying to pretend to be the Extreme Ghostbusters to BTAS' Real Ghostbusters it got a lot better. Shifting from the Emo Grunge thing of a opening theme to the sorta Adam West, confident in itself number made the show at least twice as tolerable.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm watching Tron: Uprising on Netflix, and is this show good or is it just my bizarre adoration of the franchise coming through? Apologies if this has been a topic of discussion for a while, but it looks like the thread isn't above dredging up old material to talk about.

Because I just got to the episode where we get the villain's nightmare sequence (which just the good guy winning!) and that's some pretty cool poo poo.

That being said, the character designs are weird. Every character looks like :downs: when facing the camera. And I have no idea why they decided to give Tron the permanent squint of Clint Eastwood/Brock-from-Pokemon. I don't really think of Bruce Boxleitner looking anything like that, really.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 5, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I dunno, I thought Tron: Uprising was okay. Best part about it was probably the music. I giggled a little bit whenever they would use tracks from the actual movie. I also kind of dug the aesthetic. I think I referred to it (maybe in this thread) as "Reboot meets Aeon Flux". The story was...there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ConanThe3rd posted:

Which isn't that hard because once The Batman stopped trying to pretend to be the Extreme Ghostbusters to BTAS' Real Ghostbusters it got a lot better. Shifting from the Emo Grunge thing of a opening theme to the sorta Adam West, confident in itself number made the show at least twice as tolerable.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to give it another chance since I only suffered through some of the first season before I said gently caress that poo poo. I couldn't stand that ugly Jackie Chan Adventures art style and roided-out rasta ape Joker was just a bridge too far for me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You really should. Once it hits season 3 and Batgirl shows up, the show stops being dumb and starts being fun. Well, okay, there's still some dumb, but it's a fun, 60s Batman kind of dumb. Season 4 has Robin, and then season 5 brings in the Justice League. It's just a whole lot of fun. There's an episode set in the future where Batman is all huge like Dark Knight Returns Bats.

Also The Batman vs. Dracula is still the best animated film DC's ever made gently caress any other opinions.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

TwoPair posted:

You really should. Once it hits season 3 and Batgirl shows up, the show stops being dumb and starts being fun. Well, okay, there's still some dumb, but it's a fun, 60s Batman kind of dumb. Season 4 has Robin, and then season 5 brings in the Justice League. It's just a whole lot of fun. There's an episode set in the future where Batman is all huge like Dark Knight Returns Bats.

Also The Batman vs. Dracula is still the best animated film DC's ever made gently caress any other opinions.

I thought the Clayface reboot was cool, too.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Too bad they hosed up Freeze. But yeah the show is worth a watch.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The Batman is alright but there was a lot of weird design choices used that were both good and bad.

I'd probably recommend Brave and the bold more through, even if it isn't a whole lotta batman mythos

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So for some reason Ringo Starr has doen a song with a music video for the new Powerpuff girl stuff.

:stare: It's...something.

I do think I officially like the new animation style though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh hell yeah, if we're going to be getting anything like back in the day with The Apples In Stereo or DEVO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNW7FJwWq9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lYZcIC6bqU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

PhazonLink posted:

Too bad they hosed up Freeze. But yeah the show is worth a watch.
iirc, The Batman's version of Mr. Freeze was similar to his original incarnation in the comics (instead of the superior B:TAS version).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like the Powerpuff Girls, but every time I see an old IP being dredged up and revived, I kinda wish they would just let it rest.

It was probably for the best that the show ended when it did anyways, it was kinda dipping towards the end, and the series the creator moved on to next was pretty tops.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like the Powerpuff Girls, but every time I see an old IP being dredged up and revived, I kinda wish they would just let it rest.

It was probably for the best that the show ended when it did anyways, it was kinda dipping towards the end, and the series the creator moved on to next was pretty tops.

Craig McCracken left after the movie to work on Fosters and the drop in quality is really dramatic. I rewatched the whole series recently and the later episodes aren't the worst thing in the world, but man I've never seen a show where the someone leaving was so obvious.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dexter's Lab was pretty obvious.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Babe Magnet posted:

Oh hell yeah, if we're going to be getting anything like back in the day with The Apples In Stereo or DEVO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNW7FJwWq9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lYZcIC6bqU

I've owned the Powerpuff Girls album since it was released, how did I never realize DEVO did Go Monkey Go? :stare:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

Dexter's Lab was pretty obvious.

I just don't even understand what happened there. Like I can understand the humor and writing changing but why did the art change as well? Why do the backgrounds look all flat and lovely? Why does Dexter's dad look so different? Why does Dexter have a completely different voice actor? I've never been so disappointed about new episodes of a show I liked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really liked Mandark's flowerchild parents from the redesign, though.