Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

You can't impeach people for being incompetent.

According to Wikipedia:

quote:

"The President, Vice President, and all civil Officers of the United States shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors."

So unless Obama has committed treason, bribed someone, or performed some other "high crimes and misdemeanors" they've got no case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

According to Wikipedia:

So unless Obama has committed treason, bribed someone, or performed some other "high crimes and misdemeanors" they've got no case.

The last impeachment case was for perjury regarding adultery.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

According to Wikipedia:

Impeachment is a political act, not a legal one. The House can impeach for any reason they can get 218 votes for.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

According to Wikipedia:

They don't want to actually impeach him. They want to put on a little show that would get all their doners hard so they keep sending money.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

mcmagic posted:

Likely Dem if Lonegan is the candidate. Thats a purple district.

Lonegan beat Booker in that district in the special 54-46, and Norcross has cleared the Democratic field for a C-list freeholder from Edgewater Park that nobody's ever heard of. Lonegan has bigger problems in the Republican primary than he would in a general.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

mcmagic posted:

There is no way the GOP in either AR or LA doesn't nominate someone crazy enough to blow one of those seats. It will probably happen in GA too.

There's no one with any recognition challenging the established candidates, probably because guys like Tom Cotton are new and sufficiently far right already. Plus he's pretty much already future President material on resume alone.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So when does this thing actually start? Are any Nate Silver types crunching the numbers on the likelihood of the Dems to retake the House and keep the Senate? (dream big)

Right now toss darts at a board and you'll likely be about as accurate as any 'informed' conjecture. In 3-4 months things will be a lot more firmed up to make an actual educated guess from.

The current guesstimate is the Dems hold the senate by the skin of their teeth (biden vote) and the house remains much as it is. But there's an entire year for fuckups, catastrophes, and Shocking Behavior™ from a candidate/incumbent.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jeffersonlives posted:

Lonegan beat Booker in that district in the special 54-46, and Norcross has cleared the Democratic field for a C-list freeholder from Edgewater Park that nobody's ever heard of. Lonegan has bigger problems in the Republican primary than he would in a general.

I find it hard to believe that Lonegan outperforming Runyan (who ran as a relatively moderate republican)is a result that can hold up in a midterm election. He's literally a crazy person.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

mcmagic posted:

I find it hard to believe that Lonegan outperforming Runyan (who ran as a relatively moderate republican)is a result that can hold up in a midterm election. He's literally a crazy person.

Why? It's a rural/exurban mixture district that skews very white and very old where the Democrats are going to run a no-name machine candidate from the wrong part of the district.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

De Nomolos posted:

There's no one with any recognition challenging the established candidates, probably because guys like Tom Cotton are new and sufficiently far right already. Plus he's pretty much already future President material on resume alone.

Yeah, I expect Cotton to win in AR because, while he's crazy, he's the right kind of crazy for the AR electorate and the Republican establishment loves him. Bill Kristol was writing columns for months pushing him to run. In LA, I'm not going to bet against someone with the last name Landrieu. She'll have a tough fight and Bill Cassidy is a serious challenger, though there's also a Tea Party challenger to Cassidy in the primary who might make things fun.

But, in response to your original point, I don't think Obamacare is going to be a major electoral influence in November. There are certainly going to be rollout issues over the next several months, and certainly also people who end up paying more under their new plans in the exchanges, and probably a few horror stories that get play on the nightly news, but none of these things are likely to change the minds of partisans or influence more than a handful of undecideds.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

mcmagic posted:

There is no way the GOP in either AR or LA doesn't nominate someone crazy enough to blow one of those seats. It will probably happen in GA too.

I strongly disagree. They have totally learned their lesson and will definitely not nominate somebody to the state-wide ticket that isn't a broad-based candidate that can win a majority

Not an Onion article.

:stare:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jim Gerlach (R) in PA-06 just announced he's not running for re-election. It's an R+2 district that Obama won in 2008 by 7, so it may be competitive.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

computer parts posted:

The last impeachment case was for perjury regarding adultery.

I guess the "high crimes and misdemeanors" thing allows for a lot, actually. my bad, y'all. :blush:

I just wish campaign season would hit full swing already. I'm getting blue balls over here.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

But, in response to your original point, I don't think Obamacare is going to be a major electoral influence in November. There are certainly going to be rollout issues over the next several months, and certainly also people who end up paying more under their new plans in the exchanges, and probably a few horror stories that get play on the nightly news, but none of these things are likely to change the minds of partisans or influence more than a handful of undecideds.
Completely agree here. The press hyperventilated themselves to death over the web site, but it was exactly the kind of thing everyone forgets about the next time a storm hits Florida or whatever. Objects in mirror may actually be smaller than they appear, basically.

Plastic Megaphone
Aug 11, 2007
No more credit from the liquor store.

FMguru posted:

(although I'm sure they have their share of dominionists and militia nuts and doomsday preppers and the like).

Speaking of which, let's not forget that Enzi still has at least one primary opponent left to beat...

http://wyomingnews.com/articles/2013/05/27/news/19local_05-27-13.txt

The Wyoming Tribune Eagle posted:

Bleming’s life story is about as atypical as his campaign style.

He is a Vietnam War veteran who later fought as a soldier of fortune in Central America and other parts of the world.

From Oct. 11, 1979, to July 20, 1981, he was imprisoned in Panama following his participation in a failed attempt to overthrow the country’s military-run government.

He has written several books about his experiences since he moved to Wyoming in 1995.

During the 2012 race, he traveled with an armed bodyguard and often brought an M1 carbine rifle with him to campaign stops to signify his support of the Second Amendment.

Although he argues he is not anti-Semitic, he has defended several of his Facebook postings that include links to historic speeches by Adolf Hitler and posts lashing out against “Zionism.”

In a recent post, he called former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright a “Zionist Jew B**ch.”

He said this week that he is not racist or anti-Semitic.

“I haven’t ever said that every Jew is a bad person,” he said. “But you tell me that whenever something is done under the table that there isn’t a Jew behind it -- just look at communism or what is going on with the federal bankers.”

So, yeah. Still anyone's race.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Plastic Megaphone posted:

Speaking of which, let's not forget that Enzi still has at least one primary opponent left to beat...

I predict this person will do embarrassingly well in the primary.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I'm glad that he censored the word "bitch," he might have offended someone if he didn't.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Plastic Megaphone posted:

The guy is probably a much better person than Liz Cheney.

Plastic Megaphone
Aug 11, 2007
No more credit from the liquor store.

Teddybear posted:

I predict this person will do embarrassingly well in the primary.

Well, he did manage 6.2 percent of the vote when he ran against Sen. Barrasso in 2012...

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Projections this early are pretty useless. In the respective Januaries, most pundits predicted the republicans would gain seats in 2006 and 2012, and that the Dems would hold on to the house in 2010.
Like someone said, some Republican is going to call women whores or get caught hitting on underage boys again.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I guess the "high crimes and misdemeanors" thing allows for a lot, actually. my bad, y'all. :blush:

I just wish campaign season would hit full swing already. I'm getting blue balls over here.

It's not just that, it's that the courts almost certainly would not get involved in a fight over impeachment, so functionally, the House and Senate can impeach and convict for any reason they deem appropriate. Basically, the courts would say that impeachment has been reserved to the Legislative branch, and for the courts to overturn an impeachment would show a lack of respect for a co-equal branch of government - otherwise, for purposes of impeachment the courts would become a kind of "Super House/Senate" deciding whether the House's impeachment or the Senate's conviction was appropriate. This makes impeachment fundamentally a "political question" and the federal courts do not have jurisdiction to decide political questions. If the people disagree with the result reached by one of the branches on a political question, the solution is to vote out the people who made the decision.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

Projections this early are pretty useless. In the respective Januaries, most pundits predicted the republicans would gain seats in 2006 and 2012, and that the Dems would hold on to the house in 2010.
Like someone said, some Republican is going to call women whores or get caught hitting on underage boys again.

Punditry isn't too accurate, but that doesn't mean that you can't make good projections from far out, e.g. http://andrewgelman.com/2009/09/23/generic_house_p/.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There are going to be seven GA GOP Senate primary debates between Paul "lies straight from the pit of hell" Broun, Art Gardner, Phil "maybe Todd Akin was right" Gingrey, Derrick Grayson, Karen "drummed out of Komen" Handel, Jack Kingston, David Perdue, and Eugene Yu.

Whether these will be Lincoln-Douglas debates and whether there will be a timekeeper but no moderator is unclear at this time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Joementum posted:

There are going to be seven GA GOP Senate primary debates between Paul "lies straight from the pit of hell" Broun, Art Gardner, Phil "maybe Todd Akin was right" Gingrey, Derrick Grayson, Karen "drummed out of Komen" Handel, Jack Kingston, David Perdue, and Eugene Yu.

Whether these will be Lincoln-Douglas debates and whether there will be a timekeeper but no moderator is unclear at this time.

If they made this a PPV i would buy it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I was under the impression the GOP was trying to limit the visibility of the nutbag coalition. Guess that didn't work.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Joementum posted:

Jim Gerlach (R) in PA-06 just announced he's not running for re-election. It's an R+2 district that Obama won in 2008 by 7, so it may be competitive.

Hey John McGuigan - you boat is arriving...

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Alter Ego posted:

I was under the impression the GOP was trying to limit the visibility of the nutbag coalition. Guess that didn't work.

That's for national elections. The nutbaggery is a free for all in Georgia.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mark "Coonrippy" Brown is the latest candidate for Governor of Tennessee. He is running a single issue campaign, insisting that the state return his pet raccoon, Rebekah.

quote:

“Gov. Haslam ignored the cries from the entire United States,” he said.

The Gallatin High School graduate said that by running for governor he hopes to “expose the people in office who are not for the people.”

“He can free prisoners, he can pardon people, but he refused the online petition and refused to accept the letter,” he said. “All eyes were on Tennessee and it made us look bad. It made it look like we were under Caesar’s law.”

Here is a video of Coonrippy and Rebekah showing, in happier times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMbTRWV-oBw

Joementum fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 7, 2014

Sad Banana
Sep 7, 2011

Joementum posted:

And the only winner of these debates is..... Michelle Nunn.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Sad Banana posted:

And the only winner of these debates is..... Michelle Nunn.

Who made an impressive $1.6 million in her 4Q 2013 fundraising, to boot.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Amphion posted:

So best case for the GOP would be 12 seats in the Senate? Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, South Dakota, West Virginia.

I would hope Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Mass, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Virginia wouldn't flip even if things go perfectly for them. Although Merkley didn't win by a lot in 08 and Oregons health site has been the worst of all of them.

Looking at 2016 realistic pickup chances for the Dems seem to be Illinois, Penn, and Wisconsin and maybe Florida with Colorado and Nevada for the Republicans. So if the Democrats lose too many in '14 then they can't win it back in '16.

2018 is ugly with Indiana, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, and West Virginia possible pickups for Republicans. Why am I looking at 2018.

:supaburn:

Missouri may be a bit of a tougher stretch to pick up in 2018, and could even be a toss-up on 2016: in '18 McCaskill is still quite well-liked and the main brush that Akin tried to tar her with before he went and did what he did was ACA/being too close to Obama which might not carry as much weight in 4 years, and in '16 it's Roy Blunt who doesn't really elicit strong opinions from Republicans other than those in his base of Springfield. Plus, the Dems here have a deep bench, a popular governor in Jay Nixon who is term-limited in 2016, and have done well organizing in the recent past (they've excelled in uniting a fair few groups against right-to-work, for instance), and most of the GOP pols here are either unpopular within the party (Sarah Steelman), safely ensconced in red House districts (Sam Graves, Ann Wagner, Vicky Hartzler et al), can be easily linked to former governor/corrupt idiot Matt Blunt (Ed Martin, a few others whose names escape me) or are nutbar (Todd Akin, Brian Nieves, etc).

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.
Similarly, unless North Dakota really has gone full Tea Party recently, there's been a pretty strong incumbency advantage for Democrats despite the strong Republican lean (Conrad, Dorgan, Pomeroy, etc). Obviously anything can happen in 4 years but I don't know that the seat is necessarily an assumed loss.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

zynga dot com posted:

Similarly, unless North Dakota really has gone full Tea Party recently, there's been a pretty strong incumbency advantage for Democrats despite the strong Republican lean (Conrad, Dorgan, Pomeroy, etc). Obviously anything can happen in 4 years but I don't know that the seat is necessarily an assumed loss.

I have never understood why this is possible in North Dakota, of all states.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
What's the skinny on the replacements of Northam and Herring in Virginia? Is it really going to be the case that they're going to have sacrificed the state senate in exchange for the executive jobs?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The governor of NC yesterday announced that the special election to fill Mel Watt's seat will be held in November alongside the regular elections, citing costs.

It'll stay in democrats' hands because it's the 12th and looks like this

but it'll stay vacant until next year. And I'm sure if it was say Foxx's or Ellmer's district they'd plead poverty in delaying the election as well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StarMagician posted:

Same sorts of reasons that at the state level West Virginia is still controlled by Democrat supermajorities.

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.

StarMagician posted:

There are two major reasons, in my opinion. First, although ND has gone crazy with most of the rest of the red states, both parties have traditionally embodied the "leave me alone" western style rather than heavy ideological or religious influences. This meant that as long as you could bring back the pork (advantageous farm bills) you'd generally be fine regardless of party. This also meant that incumbency was/is highly valued as it allows the state to punch above its weight. Second, the state has a lot of historical ties to area progressive and socialist movements from the early 1900s, particularly in its heavily Norwegian areas. In fact, the state had a 3 party system until the Non-Partisan League got folded into the current Democratic-NPL party in 1956 (Minnesota's Democratic-Farmer-Labor party arose out of similar circumstances). There are some remnants of these movements, such as ND being the only state with a state bank, but for the most part this has disappeared as part of the nation's larger political realignment.

Although I haven't looked into it, I wouldn't be surprised if SD was fairly similar. The upper Midwest is weird.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
My friend tells me the house is safe for the republicans until 2020 because of gerrymandering. How true is this?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Without any actual data or anything that sounds a little early to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I wonder how successful it would be if the state Democratic Parties in North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania all decided to start pushing hard for non-partisan redistricting commissions, and than used that as an excuse for a mid-term redistricting.

• Locked thread