Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Walliard posted:

Bees? Bees.

I like the concept of a beekeeping mod where you work on raising/improving your bees so they produce better outputs, but Forestry's implementation leaves something to be desired and no one else seemed to be stepping up to the plate. So I started working on my own. It's obviously still very rough around the edges and has programmer art everywhere, but it should be playtestable soon if anyone's interested.

I think kas/rhodox (of painterpack.net)has some various bee assets already made for previous mods that were discontinued, might wanna ask him if you could use some of those. Not sure if he has everything you'd need but he did enjoy playing with non-forestry-sperg bees once upon a time so you might be able to coerce him into making some too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Walliard posted:

Bees? Bees.
When Sengir finds out he's going to DMCA you and throw a hissy fit and put anti-competition programming in buildcraft, and rally his underlings so they can fart out their mouths like a badly made musical and and and...

What are your plans for dealing with this when he finally finds out?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Call it Bruschetta!
or Crouton!
or Crostino!

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Call it Bruschetta!
or Crouton!
or Crostino!

Toast II: The Croutons of Wrath

In other news, watering cans from extra utilities + magical crops = hilarity. Doubly so with the TE deployer.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Call it Bruschetta!
or Crouton!
or Crostino!

Melba.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

One mod I miss from back in 1.5.x is Legend Gear, which adds a bunch of Legend of Zelda items and blocks to the game - hearts can drop from grass and mobs, a beacon-type block that creates a very colorful beam of light upwards but which isn't blocked by things above it and, most importantly, really nice implementations of both the hookshot and the boomerang.

Apparently it's making a return for 1.7.x, so there's that, but does anyone know a mod that has a 'beacon block' akin to the one I just described? It was fantastic for atmospheric light setups, and I really miss it.

Edit: Thanks! Will have to take a look at that.
vvv

Inepta Lacerta fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 6, 2014

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Apparently it's making a return for 1.7.x, so there's that, but does anyone know a mod that has a 'beacon block' akin to the one I just described? It was fantastic for atmospheric light setups, and I really miss it.

Off the top of my head I know "Runic Dust" has something similar, but I haven't looked at that mod for well over a year, so I don't know the current state of it.

Xaoskr
Jan 25, 2013

Walliard posted:

Bees? Bees.

I like the concept of a beekeeping mod where you work on raising/improving your bees so they produce better outputs, but Forestry's implementation leaves something to be desired and no one else seemed to be stepping up to the plate. So I started working on my own. It's obviously still very rough around the edges and has programmer art everywhere, but it should be playtestable soon if anyone's interested.

Looks awesome! I liked forestry until he added the bee DRM. Can't wait to try it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Enzer posted:

So SpaceToad has come out of "modding retirment" to work once more on Buildcraft. This should mildly be interesting since he hasn't touched modding in two years.

Looks like they are already going the right direction even though its common loving sense.

Buildcraft - "We have plans to do away with item drops entirely."

https://github.com/BuildCraft/BuildCraft/issues/1396#issuecomment-31440096

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Walliard posted:

Bees? Bees.

Please do this; I hate the existing 'magic-do-all' bees that Forestry has. Beekeeping should be about honey production.

Add bears, too.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

fondue posted:

Please do this; I hate the existing 'magic-do-all' bees that Forestry has. Beekeeping should be about honey production.

Add bears, too.

Poohcraft?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Important design decisions need to be discussed first, as in how many creepers would it take to destroy a ravenous honey seeking bear?

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago

wylker posted:

Nope, one at a time. I have an idea for some tools that would make it easier but I'm lazy and bad at scripting so those may never happen.

Starting to poke a stick at automating Solder processing, got it generating folders and archives for a repo using the mcmod.info files in the zips/jars. If I don't get bored or annoyed this could be semi-useful

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

fondue posted:

Add bears, too.

Yeah, I really like the idea of beekeeping for stuff like honey and wax, and maybe to get new, interesting plants, but everything else is ridiculous and the way Forestry goes about it is just infuriating.
I kicked Forestry to the curb after I realized that it has no real benefit outside of itself, save bee outputs which aren't really worth the effort to get. Something simpler with rewards that match the amount of work would be great.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Walliard posted:

Bees? Bees.

Gods, yes. We've needed another bees mod for a long time. People like their bees, and I hate Forestry.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

GhostSeven posted:

Starting to poke a stick at automating Solder processing, got it generating folders and archives for a repo using the mcmod.info files in the zips/jars. If I don't get bored or annoyed this could be semi-useful

If you need help, I'm fairly good with PHP.

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

mechaet posted:

If you need help, I'm fairly good with PHP.

Thanks, all bash script at the moment, not had to break out. But I am sure I will for the DB stuff. Just getting the physical file processing right first. So I may well hit you up later on down the line!

Altran
Mar 20, 2013
Anyone else experiencing 'Redstone Comparator 404' replacing 'Bronze Plates' in shaped crafting?

And 4 paper stack 14276 can make 1 bronze plate it seems.

I googled abit but only found one reporting/explaining the same case but no real solution given.

http://pastebin.com/m69CAp76

I think it is fixable by using Custom recipes, but it's bit messy, does anyone have more elegant solutions?

Thanks in advance

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Altran posted:

Anyone else experiencing 'Redstone Comparator 404' replacing 'Bronze Plates' in shaped crafting?

And 4 paper stack 14276 can make 1 bronze plate it seems.

I googled abit but only found one reporting/explaining the same case but no real solution given.

http://pastebin.com/m69CAp76

I think it is fixable by using Custom recipes, but it's bit messy, does anyone have more elegant solutions?

Thanks in advance

Typical results of having block/item ID conflicts. Search your Forge logs for "overwriting".

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

mechaet posted:

Typical results of having block/item ID conflicts. Search your Forge logs for "overwriting".

hm, I searched ForgeModLoader-client-0.txt and output-client.txt both returned 0 results for overwriting. Could you elaborate please? If I find an ID conflict, how should I proceed to solve it? google yields 'Idfix Minus', good mod to solve the problem? Thanks

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Altran posted:

hm, I searched ForgeModLoader-client-0.txt and output-client.txt both returned 0 results for overwriting. Could you elaborate please? If I find an ID conflict, how should I proceed to solve it? google yields 'Idfix Minus', good mod to solve the problem? Thanks

Can you pastebin your ForeModLoader-client-0.txt after fully starting your minecraft client?

I don't use programs to resolve ID conflicts, I change the config files by hand and keep a spreadsheet of used block/item IDs. Some mods change the ID by 256 at runtime, some don't (I'm assuming it's some sort of coding thing), so one has to be cognizant of such things.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

mechaet posted:

Can you pastebin your ForeModLoader-client-0.txt after fully starting your minecraft client?

I don't use programs to resolve ID conflicts, I change the config files by hand and keep a spreadsheet of used block/item IDs. Some mods change the ID by 256 at runtime, some don't (I'm assuming it's some sort of coding thing), so one has to be cognizant of such things.

What is pastebin?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Altran posted:

What is pastebin?

Normally I hate people who post LMGTFY links, but I feel it's entirely justified here.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

mechaet posted:

Why a spreadsheet? NEI can output a list of all ID's, tells you if they're used, and what they are.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Taffer posted:

Why a spreadsheet? NEI can output a list of all ID's, tells you if they're used, and what they are.

Because in my modpacks I like to have reserved blocks of IDs for mods, and I keep those reservations the same between modpacks so you can interchange worlds easily?

If it helps, it started life as a csv dump from NEI, and has grown from there.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Altran posted:

Search for conflict. And make an ID dump through the ingame Nei menu to figure out empty ids.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

Haha, thanks, I had a brain shortage there, I have just posted a pastebin link 5 posts earlier. :)

There are 500kb limits on poor users, so I have divided the txt into 2 parts:
http://pastebin.com/HLAHBy3T
and
http://pastebin.com/tEGYPS0S

Dunno-Lars posted:

Search for conflict. And make an ID dump through the ingame Nei menu to figure out empty ids.

There was nothing on conflict neither, I will make an id dump tomorrow when I play, thanks for all the helps so far!

Altran fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 7, 2014

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Ok so Minecraft mod makers, what is the deal with mcmod.info, is it a requirement for all mods (unless they are component parts of an larger mod) or is it totally optional.

Working out how / if I need to deal with mods that don't have mcmod.info

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

GhostSeven posted:

Ok so Minecraft mod makers, what is the deal with mcmod.info, is it a requirement for all mods (unless they are component parts of an larger mod) or is it totally optional.

mcmod.info just contains metadata for mods that forge can display in the mods screen. It's totally optional, but if you don't have one forge will bitch at you and it'll look ugly on the mod list.

Here's Artifice's, which also has metadata for all its child mods. https://github.com/Shukaro/Artifice/blob/master/src/main/resources/mcmod.info

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

GhostSeven posted:

mcmod.info isn't in a few of the mods in NST, Forge complains but loads them anyway.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

lizzyinthesky posted:

I think kas/rhodox (of painterpack.net)has some various bee assets already made for previous mods that were discontinued, might wanna ask him if you could use some of those. Not sure if he has everything you'd need but he did enjoy playing with non-forestry-sperg bees once upon a time so you might be able to coerce him into making some too.

I'd be lying if I said "I want to go to Bee Hell" isn't constantly in the back of my mind when I work on this. You're right that it won't cover all my needs, but I'll see if I can borrow some assets as a stopgap. I'd rather refrain from asking anyone to make free graphics for me; artists get enough of that poo poo as it is.

Of course, if someone offers, that's a different story.

SugarAddict posted:

When Sengir finds out he's going to DMCA you and throw a hissy fit and put anti-competition programming in buildcraft, and rally his underlings so they can fart out their mouths like a badly made musical and and and...

What are your plans for dealing with this when he finally finds out?

Laugh as I use their tears to fuel my bee army (air force?). Alternately...

fondue posted:

Add bears, too.

Fortis posted:

Yeah, I really like the idea of beekeeping for stuff like honey and wax, and maybe to get new, interesting plants, but everything else is ridiculous and the way Forestry goes about it is just infuriating.
I kicked Forestry to the curb after I realized that it has no real benefit outside of itself, save bee outputs which aren't really worth the effort to get. Something simpler with rewards that match the amount of work would be great.

While don't want to limit myself entirely to reality, I definitely intend to make everything fit thematically and give cool/useful rewards at each step along the way. None of this spending 20 hours fussing with Punnet Squares until you get incendiary bees that poo poo diamonds.

For example, after wax and honey, the next planned "tech tier" has bees producing small amounts of "Apium", a yellowish metal which makes tools/armor that are a bit more effective than iron and can be repaired with just wax.

Bears are a neat idea, but given that I'm learning to mod from scratch*, I'd rather not throw mob coding on top of everything else. That and I've never been too excited about mods that add new creatures (except maybe Chocobos). Still, consider it part of the post-v1 to-do list.

(*so uhh, temper your enthusiasm about this being fun/awesome right out the gate)

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
So what exactly is the deal that allows the bee guy to throw around DMCA's like he's King George and we're still his subjects.

Death to the king, long live the Americas!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

The King of Swag posted:

So what exactly is the deal that allows the bee guy to throw around DMCA's like he's King George and we're still his subjects.
A misunderstanding of the law from watching too much CSI: Las Vegas.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I suppose I should have also asked: why would he throw around DMCAs just for other people making bee mods, even assuming he had the power to?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The King of Swag posted:

I suppose I should have also asked: why would he throw around DMCAs just for other people making bee mods, even assuming he had the power to?

Because he is literally a petulant child whose sole response to any perceived threat made against his fragile ego is to throw a massive tantrum.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

The King of Swag posted:

Death to the king, long live the Americas!

Fun fact if you knowingly send out a false DMCA filing it's something like a minimum $10000 fine.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

The King of Swag posted:

I went to elementary school with a kid who believed he invented "how did the chicken cross the road" and would throw tantrums when anyone else told that joke. The Forestry guy made a mod with bees, therefore he thinks he owns the concept of bees and throws legal threats at anyone who also does anything in Minecraft with bees.

I know nothing about the guy or his history (aside from the exploding bees thing), but if he does file a DMCA claim against a bee mod maker, he is committing the actual crime of perjury.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

The King of Swag posted:

He feels that since he has made a bee mod, it should be the only bee mod and that he owns any and all bee mods in Minecraft. This is of course because he is crazy and doesn't understand how copyright law works in any manner at all.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
I wasn't aware this was something that's happened before; I assumed it was just a hyperbolic combo of Sengir being obnoxious about modpacks + FlowerChild whining about hoppers.

I can't wait to be at the centre of Minecraft Modding Drama.:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Shukaro posted:

mcmod.info just contains metadata for mods that forge can display in the mods screen. It's totally optional, but if you don't have one forge will bitch at you and it'll look ugly on the mod list.

Here's Artifice's, which also has metadata for all its child mods. https://github.com/Shukaro/Artifice/blob/master/src/main/resources/mcmod.info

mechaet posted:

mcmod.info isn't in a few of the mods in NST, Forge complains but loads them anyway.

Thanks for the info, it is what I suspected, am happy pulling out mcmod.info on mods where it exists processing them and plodding away, I now just need to deal with the ones where it does not exist, I suspect this will be using the mod filename though that is not very elegant.

Hmm that or class file inspection... hmm

• Locked thread