Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bort
Mar 13, 2003

I still say buy Quicken, use Mint or do a budget on a spreadsheet. I can't see what that program would do for you that the others would not, and the others give you so much more (or well, are cheaper in the case of a spreadsheet).

No software can make you stick to a budget. That's the hard part, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

bort posted:

I still say buy Quicken, use Mint or do a budget on a spreadsheet. I can't see what that program would do for you that the others would not, and the others give you so much more (or well, are cheaper in the case of a spreadsheet).

No software can make you stick to a budget. That's the hard part, anyway.

Apparently though it behaves differently with things like going over in a category. According to a YNAB tutorial video, in Quicken if you go over in a category it doesn't make you account for it necessarily, it just shows the red. YNAB, you have the option to move money around from other categories to cover the overage if you want, or you can let the minus carry over to next months budget. Not sure what version of Quicken YNAB is referring to, or if that behavior is still the same, but that's what YNAB claimed. I don't know if Quicken has a mobile app that syncs with the desktop client as well.

You're absolutely right though, no software can make you stick to a budget, it takes an incredible amount of willpower for myself. So far the $5 a month for apps I've allotted has been good for me.

To me YNAB is like putting money in envelopes, digitally. It's fun watching the balances grow.

hypersleep posted:

It's worth mentioning that Filterstorm Neue is free right now as well. Normally $3.99.

http://appshopper.com/photography/filterstorm-neue

Pick this up, photo guys! It's a great upgrade from the original software in so many many ways. For one thing, saving pictures is practically instant now when before you used to have to wait 10-20 seconds like a loving animal for the changes to render before it saved.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Lady Gaza posted:

While it has a free app, the desktop client for You Need A Budget is currently 75% off on Steam. I'm going to get it myself, I've heard it's really useful. Thought it might be worth posting here since it integrates with the mobile app.

YNAB is amazing and everyone should own it. Steal at $15.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah YNAB is more of a virtual envelope system than a spreadsheet frontend like Quicken. Many people respond especially well to its particular methodology. YMMV, as with any budget or financial software.

It's also decidedly not a finance tracker, unlike Mint, which I think people should use at the same time.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Lady Gaza posted:

While it has a free app, the desktop client for You Need A Budget is currently 75% off on Steam. I'm going to get it myself, I've heard it's really useful. Thought it might be worth posting here since it integrates with the mobile app.
I am #1 YNAB Fan I recommend it to everyone. It's fairly popular in BFC too. We just made a thread about if if you'd like to know more.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lady Gaza posted:

This is amazing. I've heard nothing but good things about this software. I've never seen it on sale before now, either.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Jack Gladney posted:

This is amazing. I've heard nothing but good things about this software. I've never seen it on sale before now, either.

It was 50% off in the AppStore on Black Friday.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thanks for the heads up on the YNAB sale! Picked it up and will give it a try in a desperate attempt to not overspend every goddamn month.

I've never used Steam on a mac (or for non-gaming stuff), but I guess the YNAB Steam version can't run on its own, ie I gotta have Steam open as well?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Thanks for the heads up on the YNAB sale! Picked it up and will give it a try in a desperate attempt to not overspend every goddamn month.

I've never used Steam on a mac (or for non-gaming stuff), but I guess the YNAB Steam version can't run on its own, ie I gotta have Steam open as well?

IIRC, you can pull the activation code from your steam copy and plug it into a standalone download from the website and it works.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
If you get YNAB do yourself a favor and take a "Getting Started" webinar. It'll make their approach 1000% more clear.

http://www.youneedabudget.com/support/training-and-education

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

IIRC, you can pull the activation code from your steam copy and plug it into a standalone download from the website and it works.
Yeah the license for the software is basically for as many computers as you want to use it on for personal use.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

tuyop posted:

Ah, so that's the code Steam keeps telling me about. Thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to turn the updated sound off in the stock twitter app?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I just bought this December 31st when it was $30. I should have waited 2 more days!

How do you pull the activation code off of your steam copy? Will switching from the steam backed one to a regular set up cause any issues with the data already placed into the program?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I just bought this December 31st when it was $30. I should have waited 2 more days!

How do you pull the activation code off of your steam copy? Will switching from the steam backed one to a regular set up cause any issues with the data already placed into the program?

It syncs using Dropbox so no, right-click on the program in steam and select "view cd key".

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

To get the CD key, open the Steam copy of YNAB, go to Help --> About YNAB --> Copy activation key to clipboard. There wasn't a 'view CD key' in Steam for me.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
If it helps, here's how to get to it from from within Steam, and it's how I activated the copy I downloaded from the YNAB site, without installing the Steam version:

and

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does scanner pro do OCR on your scans?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

tuyop posted:

Does scanner pro do OCR on your scans?

http://helpspot.readdle.com/en/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=117

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

With the snow coming my way and the possibility of electrical outages, I am looking for fun game apps to play on my phone.

I downloaded Simpsons' Tapped Out. I was wondering, is it a battery drainer because it seems like my battery is dropping faster now.

Are there any other games that are fun but not battery draining?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't know if Tapped Out consumes more battery but it can barely be called a game.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

With the snow coming my way and the possibility of electrical outages, I am looking for fun game apps to play on my phone.

I downloaded Simpsons' Tapped Out. I was wondering, is it a battery drainer because it seems like my battery is dropping faster now.

Are there any other games that are fun but not battery draining?

Check the ios games thread in games.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Is there a simple app that will let you keep track of points of data (either in a numeric format or a yes/no format) per day and show you pretty graphs and stuff over time?

I was recently gifted a premium subscription on Fitbit, and it lets you add a bunch of custom "trackers" which I've been using to keep track of all kinds of stuff, but I'm not sure if that alone is worth $50/year after my gift runs out, and I don't really use any other features of premium. Plus, their iOS app doesn't let you log anything on the custom trackers, you need to go into the browser to do that.

Ideally, I'd like something that had a web component and an app (or something that could sync over iCloud on a Mac and an iPhone) but yeah, I don't even know where to start searching for something like this. Whenever I search the app store for "data tracker" or the like, it's 1,000 apps about seeing how much mobile data you use, which isn't what I am looking for at all.

Rob was taken
Mar 8, 2006

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Is there a simple app that will let you keep track of points of data (either in a numeric format or a yes/no format) per day and show you pretty graphs and stuff over time?

I was recently gifted a premium subscription on Fitbit, and it lets you add a bunch of custom "trackers" which I've been using to keep track of all kinds of stuff, but I'm not sure if that alone is worth $50/year after my gift runs out, and I don't really use any other features of premium. Plus, their iOS app doesn't let you log anything on the custom trackers, you need to go into the browser to do that.

Ideally, I'd like something that had a web component and an app (or something that could sync over iCloud on a Mac and an iPhone) but yeah, I don't even know where to start searching for something like this. Whenever I search the app store for "data tracker" or the like, it's 1,000 apps about seeing how much mobile data you use, which isn't what I am looking for at all.

I don't think it's been updated in years, but Daytum might be what you're looking for.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Check out Lift, I'm not sure if it has all the cross platform stuff you're looking for but it serves as a habit tracker that can give you some graphs, IIRC.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
What app are you guys using to track TV episodes? I'd been using TV Show Tracker for the longest time and it worked great but the iOS 7 re-design makes me not want to go back to it. Also, they want me to pay IAP despite owning it already to get rid of ads so forget that.

"Episodes" is an app I once saw recommended here a long time ago but there's two apps on the Canadian store with that name and I'm not sure if the one referred to in this thread is even available anymore if @episodeapp on twitter is any indication.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Thanks for the suggestions tuyop and Rob was taken. I think Daytum is basically exactly what I was looking for, but got bought out by Facebook two years ago and hasn't been updated since then. a shame :(

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

frogg posted:

What app are you guys using to track TV episodes?

TeeVee

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

tuyop posted:

Check out Lift, I'm not sure if it has all the cross platform stuff you're looking for but it serves as a habit tracker that can give you some graphs, IIRC.

So I took a look at lift but it doesn't look like it does custom goals/habits. Has anyone got a favorite tracker that also allows you to set your own goals? Saw an article on lifehacker for chains.cc which looks like it does this well enough, but I guess I'm more interested in chart style tracking like Lift does.

What calendars are people using right now? There's even more decent looking options than in the past, but for me one of the major issues with most of them is they maintain the 2 alerts/event framework that iCal comes with default. Do you guys just check your calendars daily or export that information to some kind of todo app or are the paid apps just better at showing in each view what kind of things are coming up when?

That's a lot of questions so here's a few apps I've liked/found useful:
-Songdrop is a web and ios client that lets you add songs from youtube/soundcloud to playlists and then plays them in the background (whyd does the same thing and has more "social" features but is currently web only). I use it to play youtube audio while my phone is locked/I'm in other apps.
-Clean Links is a simple app that auto detects links from the clipboard and turns most mobile/overly referraled/tagged links into their simplest form. Mostly useful for youtube and other long site links.
-Keezy which was mentioned a few pages ago is a really cool little sampler/mpc style beat pad/music toy. I've always wanted more things like this for the phone and am surprised there isn't just a default yakbak or a more robust MPC sampler/beatpad combo (is there one out there?).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

frogg posted:

What app are you guys using to track TV episodes? I'd been using TV Show Tracker for the longest time and it worked great but the iOS 7 re-design makes me not want to go back to it. Also, they want me to pay IAP despite owning it already to get rid of ads so forget that.

"Episodes" is an app I once saw recommended here a long time ago but there's two apps on the Canadian store with that name and I'm not sure if the one referred to in this thread is even available anymore if @episodeapp on twitter is any indication.
I use Traktato, it syncs up to my Trakt.tv which also syncs with my Plex server, so I only have to input stuff I watch on like Netflix or whatever.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Goodreader updated. I'm not sure if everyone has replaced it with PDF Expert 5 or Documents, but it seems to at least be working right again.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

maduin posted:

Goodreader updated. I'm not sure if everyone has replaced it with PDF Expert 5 or Documents, but it seems to at least be working right again.

Finally! That icon was hideous. Is it still the best PDF reader?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

tuyop posted:

Finally! That icon was hideous. Is it still the best PDF reader?

Sorry to disappoint, but the icon is still hideous.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

tuyop posted:

the best PDF reader?

What, specifically, sets it apart from the PDF readers I use now?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

What, specifically, sets it apart from the PDF readers I use now?

I don't know. It has tabs and stuff? I like the reflow too if your PDF was OCR'd properly. You can FTP files into it? It was recommended when I bought it when I had a 3GS and I bet the pickings were much slimmer.

What do you use?

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.
Are there any 3rd party iOS mail clients that will allow an exchange passcode requirement to be applied to the app rather than the device? I can't find any. I'd like to have my work email on my iPad, but don't plan to check it there enough that the required device passcode is worthwhile. It would be nice if there was a mail app that asked for a passcode when you launched the app, rather than the entire device. I'm assuming this wouldn't be allowed because I could also pull calendars and contacts via Exchange, and work wouldn't like it if just anyone could see how busy I am next week.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ndrake posted:

Are there any 3rd party iOS mail clients that will allow an exchange passcode requirement to be applied to the app rather than the device?

I think that would require an app to write its own Exchange implementation, instead of using the system one from Apple, which doesn't seem worth the effort.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Came here to ask if anyone got on board with the Cartoon HD app making all the headlines? Supposed to be £20, went live for free, apple have pulled it form the store but mine still works, everything from Tom and Jerry to Man of Steel streaming instantly in HD.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

ndrake posted:

Are there any 3rd party iOS mail clients that will allow an exchange passcode requirement to be applied to the app rather than the device? I can't find any. I'd like to have my work email on my iPad, but don't plan to check it there enough that the required device passcode is worthwhile. It would be nice if there was a mail app that asked for a passcode when you launched the app, rather than the entire device. I'm assuming this wouldn't be allowed because I could also pull calendars and contacts via Exchange, and work wouldn't like it if just anyone could see how busy I am next week.

This may be of interest to you assuming you have access to Exchange webmail for work: http://appshopper.com/business/outlook-web-email

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Lofty132 posted:

Came here to ask if anyone got on board with the Cartoon HD app making all the headlines? Supposed to be £20, went live for free, apple have pulled it form the store but mine still works, everything from Tom and Jerry to Man of Steel streaming instantly in HD.

Did you make this app? It's still on the App Store, and has been since October (the "pro" version is also available for $3). It's apparently just another web app that streams pirated content, and it doesn't seem like there are any headlines whatsoever save for one reddit thread that has a (relative) handful of comments. I can't image anyone paying £2, let alone £20 for something you can just easily get from Vimeo etc. etc. for free. Even if this isn't some pathetic attempt to make your own app go viral, it took me all of 2 minutes to Google it and discover that it's basically garbage.

• Locked thread