Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It allows you to use a torque wrench on a fitting that can only be done with something open ended. They're also good with an extension bar - again, something that needs an open tool, but is buried in the depths or otherwise cramped in by other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Remember to apply the correction factor for the lever arm change from the regular torque wrench + socket to the crows foot, but otherwise, yeah.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
*E* Too slow.

They're useful for doing up stuff like fuel pipes, where you need a torque setting but can't get a real socket onto it.

Related, I bought that 7 & 5 drawer Halfords tool chest combo today, seems reasonably well made and is a drat sight better than my old plastic tool box. Shame about those stickers, any tactic for peeling them off cleanly?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Goo Gone has always worked well for me at getting stickers off of things. Usually I use a razor blade in addition to get a good scrape but it's easy to gently caress up your paint.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Astonishing Wang posted:

Goo Gone has always worked well for me at getting stickers off of things. Usually I use a razor blade in addition to get a good scrape but it's easy to gently caress up your paint.

If you're obsessive, you can buy a plastic razor blade shaped insert for about $1.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah goo gone works great. The thing I learned with it is that you actually need to read the directions and let the sticker soak for 5-10 mins with it on there. If you just squirt it on and try scraping off, you will be disappointed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I let my wife peel them off. It's a good cabinet.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

If you're obsessive, you can buy a plastic razor blade shaped insert for about $1.

I never care too much about the paint :smug:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

jammyozzy posted:

*E* Too slow.

They're useful for doing up stuff like fuel pipes, where you need a torque setting but can't get a real socket onto it.

Related, I bought that 7 & 5 drawer Halfords tool chest combo today, seems reasonably well made and is a drat sight better than my old plastic tool box. Shame about those stickers, any tactic for peeling them off cleanly?

I got some sticker removal liquid from the Pound Shop* that works pretty well

(Actually, the 'Yippee, it's 99p!' shop)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

jammyozzy posted:

I used 'Label Remover' on mine (the stuff that smells like oranges.

This stuff: http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/54930-label-remover-200ml-aerosol-ppc108-pro-power.html

It's about a fiver from Maplin.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

rcman50166 posted:

I'd have to see the experiment and data from this before I trusted this advice. I personally wouldn't trust HF for any precision instrumentation or tooling.

Hey, well then today is your lucky day!

I didn't realize people were still referencing my experiment as sound advice. :cool:

I added all the data I collected to a Google Spredsheet. Let me know if the link doesn't work.

http://goo.gl/YkNaMH

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
This is what working part time at Harbor Freight will do to you:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Too much free space, go buy more tools.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

metallicaeg posted:

This is what working part time at Harbor Freight will do to you:

I get how you got the allen keys (pockets), but how did you steal the long ratchets?

Stick them down a pant leg and claim to be very happy at the end of the day?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

metallicaeg posted:

This is what working part time at Harbor Freight will do to you

I notice that these are pretty much only the lifetime warranty hand tools. Go fig. :v:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

spog posted:

I get how you got the allen keys (pockets), but how did you steal the long ratchets?

Stick them down a pant leg and claim to be very happy at the end of the day?
Wild things happen when you have a carefree disgruntled assistant manager.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

West SAAB Story posted:

I notice that these are pretty much only the lifetime warranty hand tools. Go fig. :v:
I have their "professional" blue jigsaw, magnesium circular saw, 12V Li drill, 9A reciprocating saw, "pro" blue oscillating multi-tool, 10" sliding miter, and the small 5-speed drill press. I don't use any of them frequently (except the drill which has been unbelievably superb for <$40) but nothing from that place has really let me down except for one of the hand-hammer impact drivers that fell apart. But, that was probably a lost cause trying to unscrew rusted up Honda rotor set screws that I had to drill out anyway.

I don't do any professional work and just basic stuff around the house, so for my very very light wood working and occasional car repair, the HF stuff has suited me just fine.

No complains either about the 3-ton steel jack, the 3-ton steel stands, 25" breaker bar (which had no issues with a 36mm axle nut).

Their power tool accessories (bits, blades, etc) even I'll admit are largely junk, but I have a few sets of Milwaukee, Bosch, and DeWalt bits and blades that cover me fine in those regards.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I was using a 1/2" torque wrench on the Jeep's head bolts. I only had a 13mm 12 point socket in 3/8" so I used an adapter from harbor freight. I went through 4 of them on (I think) 12 head bolts. They didn't like going to 110lbs, but I don't think they were impact adapters either, so maybe they weren't built for that.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

I was using a 1/2" torque wrench on the Jeep's head bolts. I only had a 13mm 12 point socket in 3/8" so I used an adapter from harbor freight. I went through 4 of them on (I think) 12 head bolts. They didn't like going to 110lbs, but I don't think they were impact adapters either, so maybe they weren't built for that.

most adapters don't do well on a torque wrench. Although ive seen adapters from every company ever snap. Its really just better to have spent the money on a single socket from HF.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've never had an issue with adapters on a torque wrench any more than I did on the same length breaker bar... in fact, I've had less trouble with torque wrenches, because I'm not trying to break stuck nuts loose with them.

Astonishing Wang, I own a single 13mm 12pt 1/2 drive socket, probably for the exact same bolts you have that 3/8 drive one for. I got tired of breaking 1/2 to 3/8 adapters while loosening those bolts. The head bolts on a jeep are actually SAE, but I guess 13mm/1/2" is close enough for government work, though I don't like to use wrong-size 12 point sockets to avoid rounding them.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
They're all so clean. :psyduck:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cakefool posted:

Also, is the advantage of crows-foot wrenches that you can either put a ratchet or your biggest breaker bar on them or do they have a special use?
No, that's pretty much their niche. They can also be incredibly handy for various situations where it's too tight or awkward to get a normal wrench in, especially when paired with long extensions. Even being able to offset the ratchet 1" off the centerline of the bolt can make a huge difference in some tight corners of an engine bay.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
You can also use one with a serp tool to make the most longest thinnest wrench for use on goddamn motherfuckers, like anything on the serp side of a sedan-mounted Duratec.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Its weird hearing all you guys going "I dont have much in 1/2" drive". I think 99% of my sockets are 1/2" drive, I think ive got one set that goes from 8-17mm in 3/8" and thats it?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I probably have about the same amount of each... and I'm up to like 20 3/4 drive sockets.

My rule is, if I break a 1/2 drive off on a fastener, I get a 3/4 drive socket in that size. I play for keeps.

Applies to hammers, too, broke the 4lb so it was time for the 8 pounder.

The nice thing about 3/4 drive is that it's so comically oversized for most things I do that HF and parts store house-brand sockets are absolutely fine. I think I paid $8 for my axle/hub nut socket, and my 1 ton pinion nut socket cost me $3 for a used Craftsman.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ferremit posted:

Its weird hearing all you guys going "I dont have much in 1/2" drive". I think 99% of my sockets are 1/2" drive, I think ive got one set that goes from 8-17mm in 3/8" and thats it?

I think it really depends on what you're working on, I know for Subaru's, Nissan's, and Honda's I usually only grab 1/2" drive sockets for suspension bits or wheel nuts. Otherwise it's always 3/8" drive, and 1/4" drive for any bolts <=10mm and sometimes 12mm if I've been using 1/4" drive last.

I'm kind of a tool hoarder so I've got a nice full set sockets up to 1/2" drive, haven't needed anything bigger yet. thing I keep wanting more of is 12mm sockets, they keep disappearing I need them. :argh:

I'm assuming if you're working on something that has an abundance of room (trucks or certain us makes) or doesn't thread into aluminum then I can see using 1/2" drive more often.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Ferremit posted:

The majority of what I've worked on for years has been small household jobs. I'll be getting more as I get more into working on cars.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Bajaha posted:

I think it really depends on what you're working on, I know for Subaru's, Nissan's, and Honda's I usually only grab 1/2" drive sockets for suspension bits or wheel nuts. Otherwise it's always 3/8" drive, and 1/4" drive for any bolts <=10mm and sometimes 12mm if I've been using 1/4" drive last.

I'm kind of a tool hoarder so I've got a nice full set sockets up to 1/2" drive, haven't needed anything bigger yet. thing I keep wanting more of is 12mm sockets, they keep disappearing I need them. :argh:

I'm assuming if you're working on something that has an abundance of room (trucks or certain us makes) or doesn't thread into aluminum then I can see using 1/2" drive more often.

All japanese/thai/asian/australian built stuff here, plus corrosion on anything under 20yrs old is an oddity rather than a rule

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ferremit posted:

Same deal here. I just reorganized my tool chest too. I one drawer was all sockets and handles, now one is all 1/2" drive and another is everything else. Working on my pickup I've never been disappointed with extra leverage.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I mostly only use 1/2" since that's what my impact sockets are. So I just grab those at the start of any project and don't use anything else unless I need to for some weird reason.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I have 1/2" drive from 10mm upwards, 3/8" drive from about 10mm to about 21mm, and 1/4" drive from 14mm downwards. I'm also doubled up on all my 1/4" drive sockets, and I have two of each drive size ratchet - I have a few duplicates in my spanners too, because I like having options when dealing with holding both ends of a nut/bolt combo.

The 3/8" stuff doesn't see much love, to be honest, I tend to hop straight from 1/4" to 1/2". The 3/8" mainly ends up being for filler when I already have sockets on my other ratchets - I know it seems silly, but I prefer to just have several ratchets to hand with the correct sockets for the job on them, rather than changing socket every five minutes.

I also have a 1/4" & 3/8" drive (well, equivalent to, it's a spline fitting) "vortex drive" hollow ratchet set which is handy in cerain circumstances, plus a dedicated "carry in the car without leeching out the garage tool set" 1/2" drive kit, paired with a couple of those small "motorists toolkit" deals which come with some 1/4" and 3/8" drive stuff.

Tools are nice. :3:

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
What do you guys use for socket storage?

I'm looking at these since I think it'd be nice to carry a whole set out to where I'm working. Especially since my garage is basement level and working on the 2nd floor means 3 flights of stairs if I grab the wrong socket. I'm open to suggestions though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I use socket rails:
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-1885-4-Inch-8-Inch-3-Piece/dp/B000NPUJQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389464014&sr=8-1&keywords=socket+rail

They hold the sockets very securely, but are a bit tough to get on and off. Since I only use mine occasionally, I'm fine taking off what I need and replacing them at the end of the day, but if you're constantly removing and replacing tools, I wouldn't recommend them.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Viper_3000 posted:

I'm looking at these

I'm really struggling to find these in the UK for a reasonable price. I'm badly in need of socket storage, and don't want the hassle of using socket rails. These magnetic holders look great - I'd be able to write the size onto the plastic next to each socket so I can tell what's missing right away.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Uthor posted:

I use socket rails:
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-1885-4-Inch-8-Inch-3-Piece/dp/B000NPUJQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389464014&sr=8-1&keywords=socket+rail

They hold the sockets very securely, but are a bit tough to get on and off. Since I only use mine occasionally, I'm fine taking off what I need and replacing them at the end of the day, but if you're constantly removing and replacing tools, I wouldn't recommend them.

I also rail them, but I bought mine at Sears, it's $8 for a two pack of one size. The clips are snug and don't slide along the rail easily, and they have a small handle. I love them.

I originally bought some at Harbor Freight thinking it was a simple enough item and only a dollar, but the sockets fell off when tipped.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Uthor posted:

I use socket rails:

I still have a few of these, but I found some cool double sided ones I like better at Lowes:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_338546-22328-85917_1z140vv+4294857653__?productId=3381268&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I finally came across that box of .25 auto and took a pic for the guy that was looking for ideas on storing screwdriver bits, sorry I don't remember who it was...

The bits fit really well in there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Thanks, that was me and they do look good, but I live in the UK where we uninvented guns.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Can anyone recommend a compressor that can run a 3" cutoff wheel, and a small sander. Im getting rid of the rust on my wifes car and have the tools but my compressor is on its last leg and was never good to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Viper_3000 posted:

I'm looking at these since I think it'd be nice to carry a whole set out to where I'm working. Especially since my garage is basement level and working on the 2nd floor means 3 flights of stairs if I grab the wrong socket. I'm open to suggestions though.

More expensive and you can't be tipping them all the way over, but they're the best socket trays I've ever used.
http://www.amazon.com/Hansen-Global-Socket-Tray-Pack/dp/B001C6NL52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389479895&sr=8-1&keywords=hansen+socket

The real beauty is they fit the sizes, so you can't go mixing the sockets up accidentally because they won't fit properly.