Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Colonel Sanders posted:

Only if your tires look like this. . .

Agreed.. Those had to be some awful tires, and it's a good thing that it happened in the driveway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Team140 posted:

I once helped a friend remove an O2 sensor from the downpipe on his 2nd gen RX-7. He brought it to me because he couldn't get it loose with a standard wrench.

"No problem, I've got an O2 socket. You should invest in one. They're handy!"

My particular O2 sensor was an impact O2 sensor socket. Plenty of room for a breaker bar, so I slipped it on and... holy poo poo it won't budge! We both tugged on it and did nothing but flex the 3' Craftsman breaker bar. I grabbed a floor jack handle and used it as a cheater handle for the breaker bar. We both put everything we had into it and... SNAP! The O2 socket shattered.

As I try to comprehend WTF is going on and wonder if the O2 sensor is welded in place, I look at the sensor up close and personal and realize the O2 sensor bung in the downpipe is not round, but is hex and the O2 sensor JUST happened to line up exactly in the with the bung so my socket went past the sensor and we were trying to wrench the welded in bung loose!

I went and got my cheap-rear end HF O2 socket, placed it at the correct height on the sensor, and I accidentally loosened it when I put the ratchet on it. It was apparently not much tighter than finger tight. :doh:

This is just beautiful. Sucks about your socket exploding, but it's pretty amazing. I'm surprised your breaker bar doesn't have a curve in it now. I had to put together about 2 feet worth of breaker bar + cheater pipe on Sunday to break loose a bolt holding a drum brake backing plate to my spindle. The passenger side came out with a 1/2" drive ratchet, but the driver side fought me all the way. I must've hammered on it with a combination of my impact gun and a 3 lb. engineer's hammer for a couple minutes straight and it didn't give a poo poo. Leverage rules all.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Team140 posted:

I once helped a friend remove an O2 sensor from the downpipe on his 2nd gen RX-7. He brought it to me because he couldn't get it loose with a standard wrench.

"No problem, I've got an O2 socket. You should invest in one. They're handy!"

My particular O2 sensor was an impact O2 sensor socket. Plenty of room for a breaker bar, so I slipped it on and... holy poo poo it won't budge! We both tugged on it and did nothing but flex the 3' Craftsman breaker bar. I grabbed a floor jack handle and used it as a cheater handle for the breaker bar. We both put everything we had into it and... SNAP! The O2 socket shattered.

As I try to comprehend WTF is going on and wonder if the O2 sensor is welded in place, I look at the sensor up close and personal and realize the O2 sensor bung in the downpipe is not round, but is hex and the O2 sensor JUST happened to line up exactly in the with the bung so my socket went past the sensor and we were trying to wrench the welded in bung loose!

I went and got my cheap-rear end HF O2 socket, placed it at the correct height on the sensor, and I accidentally loosened it when I put the ratchet on it. It was apparently not much tighter than finger tight. :doh:

I have only had this happen once (the finger tight O2 sensor) and it was on my oldest fuel injected jeep. It came loose so easily I thought the socket slipped off the sensor. Honestly they come with a crush washer on them, so as long as they're properly antiseized and not overtorqued, they should come out nicely. The problem is when some chucklefuck PO/mechanic thinks they have to be guerrilla-torqued in place and then they rust afterwards.

Everything else has been rust seized in place and has fought me every god drat step of the way, and only one of them came out leaving clean enough threads to simply put a new sensor in. The others all required a new bung anyways.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You just know this guy left his house with precisely enough time to get to work.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
If that happens to me I'd just say gently caress it I'm not going in. That's an omen if I've ever seen one to how bad my day would be.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, you might also break down on the way:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

This would have been better if it showed the somewhat annoyed driver just hoofing it with the "Well.. poo poo. This isn't the best day I've had." look on his face.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

West SAAB Story posted:

This would have been better if it showed the somewhat annoyed driver just hoofing it with the "Well.. poo poo. This isn't the best day I've had." look on his face.
For anyone not keeping up with the youtube thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESF8wwwyUG0&t=283s

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

You just know this guy left his house with precisely enough time to get to work.

Fortunately he can now just reach into the door and move the linkages himself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hah, good point!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
If that fails, there's another 3* doors to try before you're truly hosed!

*ish...probably.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

InitialDave posted:

I don't think the guys at Kia really engineered the door to open when the car was encased in ice. Guy probably could have tried to deice it a bit first.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

EightBit posted:

I don't think the guys at Kia really engineered the door to open when the car was encased in ice. Guy probably could have tried to deice it a bit first.

No, it will definitely open if I just pull...a little...harder oh...

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Hahah that car just said gently caress it.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

InitialDave posted:

Grrr..... drat plastic Kia handles break off if you look at them funny. At one point my Sedona had one door (out of five) that had working handles.

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

Hahah that car just said gently caress it.

I'm pretty sure we just watched a car commit suicide.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

PhotoKirk posted:

Grrr..... drat plastic Kia handles break off if you look at them funny. At one point my Sedona had one door (out of five) that had working handles.

I've done valet work before with an outdoor lot, and the real bastards are the early 90's or so Toyota products with the super-thin plastic lift handles. Even with no visible ice the drat things will snap in low temperatures. Then again most of the guys I worked with are hamfisted ex-GM union guys.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pff, can't hold a candle to VAG in that regard. I was pulling a Beetle into the shop for work one time, went to pull the door closed and the interior handle just cracked off like it was made of rotten pine wood or something, didn't even make the door move.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Remember early to mid 90s W body coupes? That side handle arrangement would fall apart at a moments notice.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Fucknag posted:

Pff, can't hold a candle to VAG in that regard. I was pulling a Beetle into the shop for work one time, went to pull the door closed and the interior handle just cracked off like it was made of rotten pine wood or something, didn't even make the door move.

Everything inside a Mk3 Jetta does this in my experience. My friend had one where all the handles for the doors, the glovebox, the ashtray, and even the little knob to adjust the mirrors had just broken off. The coldest it gets around here is 40F.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

XD-XF Falcons had awful cheap diecast lift up exterior door handles. Most Australians know how to replace those in their sleep.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

You Am I posted:

XD-XF Falcons had awful cheap diecast lift up exterior door handles. Most Australians know how to replace those in their sleep.

Range Rover Classics have that same kind of handle. Yank, *SNAP*! If I find a Classic in a junk yard the handles are one of the first things I pull off to keep as spares. Along with window switches, window motors, and seat controls.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sudo Echo posted:

Everything inside a Mk3 Jetta does this in my experience. My friend had one where all the handles for the doors, the glovebox, the ashtray, and even the little knob to adjust the mirrors had just broken off. The coldest it gets around here is 40F.

drat it, don't jinx my '98 Mk 3 TDI!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Kill-9 posted:

Range Rover Classics have that same kind of handle. Yank, *SNAP*! If I find a Classic in a junk yard the handles are one of the first things I pull off to keep as spares. Along with window switches, window motors, and seat controls.

Seat switches are the same ones in 80s benzes, break off the power head rest switch.
motors don't usually fail, but the rollers do. go to home depot and get the 7/8s drawer repair roller kit and swap em.

Disco handles swap on if you liked the blacked out look.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

cursedshitbox posted:

Seat switches are the same ones in 80s benzes, break off the power head rest switch.
motors don't usually fail, but the rollers do. go to home depot and get the 7/8s drawer repair roller kit and swap em.

I've had 3 different motors burn out in the past few years. I guess it's to be expected on a truck pushing 25 years old. I really need to replace the seals so less water gets in the doors when it rains. It's always interesting opening a door after a rain and watching the water pour out the drain hole for the next minute. That and the drat sunroof seals. I'm so very close to just sealing that bitch closed.

Who am I kidding? You can never keep water out of a Rover.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Kill-9 posted:

Who am I kidding? You can never keep water out of a Rover.

I work with a guy who had some kind of Jaguar in his youth that had drain plugs for the floor pans. Not sure if they were OE or retrofitted, but he mentioned he really missed them when he got a Triumph or something and discovered he had two ice skating rinks one frosty morning. Just like with boats stored out of the water, there comes a point where it's easier to just drill a loving hole in the bottom. Especially in the Pacific Northwest.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
A new record was set at our shop today for deferred maintenance.

2001 Volvo V70XC, AWD, turbo.

Sticker in the window says "Next service due at 114k miles". Odometer reads 128k. 14k miles past due, running conventional 5w30.

Customer states they do not change their own oil.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Impressive. I have seen worse. The filter in question was just a mushy pile of media between the two plastic ends. :barf:

It had to be scooped out by hand, then the lower plastic plate removed with pliers.

Mileage between oil changes was unknown, vehicle was bought used. Vehicle make/model escapes me at the moment. Some model of Land Rover.

Not my photo, but it looked like this:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

DrPain posted:

Sticker in the window says "Next service due at 114k miles". Odometer reads 128k. 14k miles past due, running conventional 5w30.

For the record, a v40 1.9T will do 35K+ without an oil change, and run and drive. Then the turbo will blow its intake-side oil seal due to the return line coking solid, and fffffffff

And then it will still run and drive for at least another 5K+, albeit losing power slowly but steadily as the rings disintegrate. Smoked like a motherfucker.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I posted one of a range rover with questionable service history with a filter about 10 times worse than that.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

DrPain posted:

My first thought was to wonder if the filter was filtering anything or if it just all went through the bypass, but then I noticed the holes...

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

DrPain posted:

I used to own that exact car, and I think my personal record was something like 10k, albeit with synthetic, so it's really not that bad.

gently caress having to drop the skid plate for every oil change, and double gently caress the lug bolts that were impossible to remove without a flagpole of a breaker bar no matter how much anti-seize you put on them the last time.

I did find out that the car will win in a fight with a telephone pole though.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Splizwarf posted:

For the record, a v40 1.9T will do 35K+ without an oil change, and run and drive. Then the turbo will blow its intake-side oil seal due to the return line coking solid, and fffffffff

And then it will still run and drive for at least another 5K+, albeit losing power slowly but steadily as the rings disintegrate. Smoked like a motherfucker.

This must be a common thing with v40 owners never changing the oil. I have been behind at least 5 different v40's that were just smoke screening the poo poo out of everyone behind them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

I don't really do Reddit, but someone linked me to this album: http://imgur.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Negromancer posted:

This must be a common thing with v40 owners never changing the oil. I have been behind at least 5 different v40's that were just smoke screening the poo poo out of everyone behind them.

The original target demographic was 20- to 24- year old women with wealthy parents and no interest in cars, and the engine was already prone to sludging (especially around the valvetrain), so yeah. Junkyard engines are always sludged to hell, and I paid almost a grand for a new Volvo turbo after two junkyard ones didn't pan out. :(

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

This has been posted before, but is still a source of great material.

I currently like the 'mandatory alignment check' on the lone wheel.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The "headliner fix", of course it's a chevy (I recognize that dome light from my Blazer).

Also, this one:

:frogsiren:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Still good for another 10k

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I haven't browsed that gallery in a long time; there's some good new(?) ones in there, like this:

Caption: "Had a stubborn allen head bolt, didn't have any hex bits, so I decided to make one. It didn't quite work..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

OTOH how many people routinely leave the house in the morning with enough time to go around the perimeter of their car door breaking through a layer of ice without loving up the paint (especially if, like most people, you store your deicing equipment in your car)?

Like someone else said, if your car has a layer of ice thick enough to prevent the door from opening you should probably just call off. Most managers will understand that you don't control the weather.