Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

JackMann posted:

It took ten machines working full time to fulfill Bones 1.

Ah, I had no idea, I must have missed that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Sionak posted:

Popping in to see how prompt the shipping was on the last kickstarter. If I got one of the later waves of shipping, is it actually going to arrive in December?

Late for the first run, and godawful for international backers.

Hopefully they've gone some way to learning from their mistakes, but I'm still not expecting this to be fulfilled completely on time.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Late for the first run, and godawful for international backers.

Hopefully they've gone some way to learning from their mistakes, but I'm still not expecting this to be fulfilled completely on time.

To be fair, if you weren't international, the lateness was kind of a joke. I recall their projection being may, and the actual delivery of mine being in august. Three months is a joke of a delay, given the sheer numbers involved.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

And TBF, compared to other TG Kickstarters, even the international backers were fast and trouble free.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
If they experience the same sort of trouble they did the last time, the final models will go out October. They're shooting for the same schedule they tried for last time, and have stated that if they get the models in early, they will ship early. The estimates assume that not only will they experience the sort of delays they had last time, but there'll be more trouble to delay them another month or two.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Realize that Dreamforge Games was supposed to have the third wave shipped out last march I believe, and it hasn't even finished production in China yet at this point right now. The second wave arrived at my house like two months ago, eight months later or so. Count your blessings, it could be so much worse.

(I don't mind waiting longer for the DFG stuff since it's absurdly high quality)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Captain Invictus posted:

Realize that Dreamforge Games was supposed to have the third wave shipped out last march I believe, and it hasn't even finished production in China yet at this point right now. The second wave arrived at my house like two months ago, eight months later or so. Count your blessings, it could be so much worse.

(I don't mind waiting longer for the DFG stuff since it's absurdly high quality)

At least they haven't set an optimistic December ship date, announce they'll beat that date by shipping in November the day after the KS ended, then after a huge amount of pressure in the comments over their complete lack of communication, outside of a weekly "it's 98% done" copy paste, finally admit at the end of November that they haven't even finished prototyping or rule writing yet and have lost their factory slot and won't get another one until February (which they may miss anyway if prototyping and rules still aren't finished) like Palladium :v:

This survey is an agony of I really want that, but do I really need it, it's only a few dollars more get it anyway

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

xpost from minis thread: kobolds!

I am now 2/3 done with my double set of Dungeon Attack.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
They look great! What colours did you use on them?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I tried to go for fairly high contrast triads to make the small details pop. For base coasts I went mostly for Reaper MS, but for many richer colors and highlights I went with Vallejo GC. The flesh is all Reaper MS: base fireball orange, wash ruddy brown, highlight pale saffron. The clothes are base Reaper MS solid blue, highlight Vallejo GC magic blue, second highlight Vallejo GC magic blue + white. The "elite" clothes are base Reaper MS crimson red, highlight Vallejo GC gory red, second highlight Vallejo GC bloody red. Wood/leather are mostly base Vallejo GC beasty brown, wash Vallejo GC charred brown, highlighted with different brown tones to create some distinction. Metallics are base Vallejo GC gunmetal, thin wash black, highlight Vallejo GC chainmail. "Elite" metallics are base Vallejo GC brass, wash Vallejo GC charred brown, highlight Vallejo GC glorious gold. I used little shading on the gems to give them a translucent look - they are mostly a bright Vallejo GC base, lightened highlight top and bottom, lighter second highlight top, white high-highlight top. Lines and detail were all done with a heavy ink-based black wash. Bases were just base grey, wash black, drybrush light grey. Varnish was one coat Liquitex gloss, one coat Liquitex matte, dusting of Testors dullcote.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pfffffft, you barely spent more than 4 times what I did, and I'm just in it for me.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Thank god I didn't spend that much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bad Munki posted:

Pfffffft, you barely spent more than 4 times what I did, and I'm just in it for me.

Well, they limit you to 10 of any one thing, otherwise it'd be more. :v:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Phew, now I feel better. I was starting to think Iwas the high spender here.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I spent $11 just I could get me some mousies.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
After waffling around and comparing the costs with shipping included, I decided to just go for the 100 dollar box and some extra beastmen and ratmen. It's not like I'll run out of things to paint and use anyway, even if there were some very nice additions.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I used Bones 2 to get some neat stuff that I'd like to try painting and nothing more; all in $54. :feelsgood:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Indolent Bastard posted:

I used Bones 2 to get some neat stuff that I'd like to try painting and nothing more; all in $54. :feelsgood:

I spent a bit more than that, but pretty much the same premise. Got the paints too, because even if they are ages away they're still way cheaper than i can get them or Vallejo here.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Pretty happy I am getting the giant minotaur demon.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, that's a badass sculpt.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Baphomet's loincloth still bothers me, since it's supposed to be thin hanging cloth but is obviously a big solid block of plastic; that said, it's enough of a badass sculpt that I sort of wish I'd sprung for Expansion Set 2.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That's the case with a lot of sculpted cloth though, particularly in the Bones range. The female ice (or is it the fire) giant is particularly bad.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Stephenls posted:

Baphomet's loincloth still bothers me, since it's supposed to be thin hanging cloth but is obviously a big solid block of plastic; that said, it's enough of a badass sculpt that I sort of wish I'd sprung for Expansion Set 2.

Expansion set 2 was pretty tempting, especially with that bull headed monstrosity as the final reveal. Still didn't go for it though.

Read through the bones priming link and people seemed to be getting mixed results from gesso. I tested a few strokes of both my black and white on the underside of a model with both drying fine. Is it safe to assume everything will be ok if I prime a figure in gesso than airbrush it with Vallejo model air fire red? Just skip the gesso and airbrush it? I know people say you don't need to prime bones, but I really don't want to mess this project up.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Expansion set 2 was pretty tempting, especially with that bull headed monstrosity as the final reveal. Still didn't go for it though.

Read through the bones priming link and people seemed to be getting mixed results from gesso. I tested a few strokes of both my black and white on the underside of a model with both drying fine. Is it safe to assume everything will be ok if I prime a figure in gesso than airbrush it with Vallejo model air fire red? Just skip the gesso and airbrush it? I know people say you don't need to prime bones, but I really don't want to mess this project up.

The main issue with airbrushing it is that the plastic's very hydrophobic, so thinning with water can cause it to bead. If you're thinning with airbrush medium, you should be okay.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just as a warning: I had a tube of grey acrylic, it was made for proper painting so it's super thick. I thinned it down with airbrush thinner hoping to prime with it, but it beaded pretty badly. This was with some sort of Testor's airbrush thinning medium.

However, there's a chance I had forgotten to wash that mini first, it might have gotten mixed in with the ready-to-paint ones. But yeah, different airbrush mediums might behave better or worse.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Stephenls posted:

Loincloths and loose robes almost always look better on painted models. And yeah, that's a nice-rear end minotaur god. I had less-than zero use for the other suff in that expansion set, but I'll probably end up dropping the better part of $50 on just him.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I really like both those sculpts, but yeah, that minotaur is bad rear end. So glad I grabbed that expansion.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I painted my first bones figure today!

Cross posting from oath thread:

drgnvale posted:

After I had primed the model black, I was surprised at the detail. You really just can't see it on a naked bones.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Bad Munki posted:

Just as a warning: I had a tube of grey acrylic, it was made for proper painting so it's super thick. I thinned it down with airbrush thinner hoping to prime with it, but it beaded pretty badly. This was with some sort of Testor's airbrush thinning medium.

However, there's a chance I had forgotten to wash that mini first, it might have gotten mixed in with the ready-to-paint ones. But yeah, different airbrush mediums might behave better or worse.

Are you supposed to wash bones? I thought they didn't use a mold release agent on these. I thought I read that but maybe I imagined it. Anyway, I am going to pick up some airbrush medium from an art supply store today to try and do the same thing you were. Will see how it goes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, you definitely are. I find a little dish soap and a thorough rinse does great. There is definitely a residue. If you read something, you either read something for a different material, or remembered it precisely backwards, because it's a known fact that you really must wash them first. :)

Post a trip report for whatever medium you use, I may have to look for alternatives.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I tried painting my first Bones mini without washing it, and it was horrible. Absolutely horrible, with the paint beading up everywhere, and impossible to get an even layer. Just dunk them in some soapy water and dry them off, and they'll be good though. I think Reaper didn't mention that it's necessary in their initial hype around Bones not needing any preparation before painting.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Not every Bones mini needs washing. Something like four in five or five in six are fine to paint straight out of the box.

But there's no way to tell which is which until you've started painting. And if it's a small amount, you might not realize until you've had a good amount on there. Or you might be just about done and the paint starts flaking away.

Wash your Bones, kids. Wash your Bones.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I went to Dick Blick since there is one a couple of blocks from my apartment but they didn't have any of the plain airbrush medium in, so I just bought some opaque base coat for airbrushes and black airbrush paint. Both by Creatix. I actually ended up having to thin it with a smidge of water because straight out of the bottle they were too thick for my 0.3mm needle. Once I had the paint thickness ok it went on ok. No more beading, which was great because that made it impossible to use before. I did have to do 2 coats though, as the first one was very thin and spotty. Second coat, which I just used generic black acrylic, water and alchohol for, went on fine after that first coat was down and dry.

I also dunked all of the bones in some water with dish soap and gave them a light scrubbing, so there is no way to say that alone didn't fix the beading problem and not actually using the airbrush paint. This worked though and I am not really of a mind to do another experiment just to see if it was only the soap water that fixed things.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Trying a lazier process for my next batch of 24 Dungeon Attack! goblins: base grey, heavy wash black, paint midtones up to highlights ignoring crevasses and hard-to-reach areas.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Paolomania posted:

Trying a lazier process for my next batch of 24 Dungeon Attack! goblins: base grey, heavy wash black, paint midtones up to highlights ignoring crevasses and hard-to-reach areas.

Yeah that's pretty much what I did to get them all done as quickly as possible. I think I based about 3 colors max, nuked everything in 2:1 black:matte medium, then brushed details. Quick and gives that gritty look.

I didn't have 24 though, I ordered 6 off the site and got another 3 in the Christmas freebie stocking. Reaper's sale was good to me.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Although I've been going high saturation, I like your muted color scheme. Are those a particular brand's range or your own mix?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
They are just Reaper MSP paints. Lots of tanned skin/intense brown/walnut brown.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Finished the Undead Giant from the bones set. Bit messy but I was trying for speed more than anything.

Need to tidy up the base rim and maybe touch up a couple of details but whatever~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Love the base, but I'd probably have put a squished dude poking out of there somewhere :D

• Locked thread