Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metacorder
Dec 7, 2007

last of the uplift gnarssh
I've been doing quite a bit of sPvP lately, and it really is quite fun. I have run across players who are hesitant to try because they have a distorted (perhaps outdated) view that "pure bunker" is the dominant meta across all skill levels, but that is not true. I am a mediocre player who mostly plays team arena, and at my level there is nearly as much build diversity as there is in wvw. At the beginning of the game "bunker" used to mean prioritize only survivability and have a build that might have very little damage output. Now things are a bit different, as there are "bunker builds" that do quite a bit of damage and are really fun to play and to play against.

try out exports, the experience might be frustrating at first, but it can be very rewarding if you like to kill other players!

metacorder fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hy_C posted:

Is this how WvWednesday goes down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF1UzimGnvs

I don't know if my MMOSR is high enough to perform at that level.

Sometimes, depending on game, it's kinda fun to be a bit of a try hard. That being said, This, THIS, is some next level poo poo. I can see now that I have a lot of training to do.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's a term.

Urban Dictionary posted:

To be so drunk you are laying on the floor SAYING you're ok when you really are about to puke.

That seems pretty accurate, at least in my fiance's case.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

esports haters are bad at video games there i said it

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rap music posted:

esports haters are bad at video games there i said it

I'm sorry about your Autism :q:

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Turncoat Mommy posted:

The people who hate esports are the people who hate fun.

The only reason I occasionally play esports is because I hate fun! Nothing puts spring in my step quite like making people miserable as a mesmer.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

CODChimera posted:

I know Teq can drop ascended weapons including a unique skin(black reskinned ascended weapons) but I think that's it?

No, everything that drops ascended mats can drop ascended items. I've seen them drop in Wvwvw and from other world bosses.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Actual sPvP gameplay can be fun as heck, and you guys saying we esports shitters hate fun or something like that are being disingenuous. The problem with sPvP which causes it to be boring and repetitive and stupid, is the huge lack of variety, interesting game modes/maps, and updated content. Its neglected and it shows.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
It is neglected, that's true.

metacorder
Dec 7, 2007

last of the uplift gnarssh

CLAM DOWN posted:

The problem with _insert any aspect of GW2_ which causes it to be boring and repetitive and stupid, is the huge lack of variety, interesting game modes/maps, and updated content. Its neglected and it shows.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Also true.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?
Esports can be fun. You just can't take it too seriously. A lot of times you'll be 4v5. Or you'll have 5 thieves vs a bunch of bunkers. Or any number of terrible match making issues, especially in tPVP. tPVP is awesome because you get items every time you win. Who doesn't like shiny things?!

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
Yeah I've been esporting a bunch lately while I wait for the next living story and I've been having a lot of fun. Almost every night I've been trying to get a Team Arena group going and most of the time we can get 3 or 4 battles which are tons of fun with other dentists.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If they had Murder Ball mode like in SWTOR that would make sPvP fun. Seriously SWTOR sucked but their murder ball game was incredibly fun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I might care slightly about esports mode once they get around to letting me take my pretty princess gear from pve into it. Anyone know the status on that?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

John Lightning posted:

Yeah I've been esporting a bunch lately while I wait for the next living story and I've been having a lot of fun. Almost every night I've been trying to get a Team Arena group going and most of the time we can get 3 or 4 battles which are tons of fun with other dentists.

That's great, keep doing that. I did that stuff back at release, we had Team SFD, did tournaments etc. It basically hasn't changed and there is nothing new to do, that's why I'm so sick of it now.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
I don't know how someone who hasn't played it in months can know that they don't enjoy it.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
I think you guys are confusing sPvP with eSports. While all eSports are sPvP, not all sPvP are eSports.
-If you log in and go to the mists and hotjoin with your friends, this is not eSports and is perfectly okay to have fun doing.
-If you have a team you play with and strive to gain sponsorship and income playing sPvP, you should probably re-examine your choices.

On a related note, with Team Paradigm's website, one is only a few clicks away from cheap Newport Cigarettes, Nike Jordans and Gucci Jeans!
http://www.teamparadigm.net/forums

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Turncoat Mommy posted:

I don't know how someone who hasn't played it in months can know that they don't enjoy it.

I did it 2 days ago. I hop in there for the 3-4 matches required for the daily pretty often, usually with a group of dentists like Zhulik and Maths and Dreggon. Thanks for telling me what I play though.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 9, 2014

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Secret Sweater posted:

On a related note, with Team Paradigm's website, one is only a few clicks away from cheap Newport Cigarettes, Nike Jordans and Gucci Jeans!
http://www.teamparadigm.net/forums

You lied to me!

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

i can't wait till they drop new modes and maps into spvp and all the pve heroes hop in, get promptly owned, and go back to shouting about how bad esports are

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Mattavist posted:

You lied to me!

Mexplosivo
Mar 8, 2007

The monetary system is not ratified by society yet it shapes and dictates our entire existence...

BadLlama posted:

If they had Murder Ball mode like in SWTOR that would make sPvP fun. Seriously SWTOR sucked but their murder ball game was incredibly fun.

Isn't the map where you have to capture the orb and take it to a point like murder ball?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Mexplosivo posted:

Isn't the map where you have to capture the orb and take it to a point like murder ball?

Can you toss the orb around? I don't remember a map like this in spvp. Was it added some times after this launched?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
There's a blogpost supposedly coming this month that will show the new game modes. Look forward to that fellow tired of conquest comrades.

Reclines Obesily fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 9, 2014

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

chumbler posted:

I might care slightly about esports mode once they get around to letting me take my pretty princess gear from pve into it. Anyone know the status on that?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the March feature patch, though they haven't said anything to confirm that.

From the hints we've gotten, I think it's pretty likely that it will be introduced through a skin locker, so esport-ing now could give you a head start on PvE pretty princessing in the future.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Delacroix posted:

GW1 gamemodes were infinitely more competitive than spvp

Active GVG/AB/HOH was some of the best PVP I've ever played in any game ever. sPvP is pretty fun, but doesn't quite take me back to the glory days of cheesing HOH with a full team of W/R dongways.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?
Are they going to be consolidating WVW rank at some point?

Drilled Sausage
Oct 24, 2012

Ussr posted:

Are they going to be consolidating WVW rank at some point?

Yeah, it was announced in late November. So sometime in 2014... maybe?

e: the announcement https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/world-xp-and-you/

Rajazan
Sep 19, 2012
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1utx8p/data_mining_vip_membership/

This should be interesting :munch:

Edit: Upon closer inspection this looks like It could be an April Fool's joke, or maybe that's just wistful thinking on my part

Rajazan fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 10, 2014

Trelack
May 23, 2009

Guest2553 posted:

Active GVG/AB/HOH was some of the best PVP I've ever played in any game ever. sPvP is pretty fun, but doesn't quite take me back to the glory days of cheesing HOH with a full team of W/R dongways.

This. But to be fair I think it was the company that made it awesome. I suspect GW2 would be pretty rocking with a few friends you can get together and dick around in sPvP with. Without that you can only compare it to RA or pugging Halls - neither of which were particularly thrilling.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Rajazan posted:

Edit: Upon closer inspection this looks like It could be an April Fool's joke, or maybe that's just wistful thinking on my part

Almost certainly an April Fool's joke.

Cephid
Dec 28, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Almost certainly an April Fool's joke.

Well; if it is we know they prepare their jokes extremely well in advance!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Cephid posted:

Well; if it is we know they prepare their jokes extremely well in advance!

Well assuming SAB wasn't made in a weekend, this would be normal.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Sometimes devs leave red herrings for dataminers.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, the 20 vip tiers gave it away.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
The timing is suspicious but I could see it being real. The benefits it gives can all be purchased now apart from the teleport and gem store discount.

It's either

Real
Fake
April Fools
GW2 going completely free to play
For the Asian launch (a different company is running it for that region not anet)
Like half the poo poo datamined never making it in the game

I'm sure enough people are losing their poo poo that we will know soon. If anyone has permanent bank/hair/merchant contracts I'd sell them now just in case.

malhavok posted:

Yeah, the 20 vip tiers gave it away.

That does look weird but maybe it's not earned with cash or its based on how long you've been a member.

Reclines Obesily fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 10, 2014

Kazoo
Apr 22, 2009

As a VIP princess I can verify it is real.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm so addicted I already rationalized buying it before scrolling down to see that you guys think it's a joke. gently caress. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

It's not a very funny joke though.

It's real imo.

• Locked thread