Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Donkey Kong Country competed!

I owned this game about when it came out. I sat down, my eyes turned blank, and almost 2 decades old muscle memory took over. Less than two hours later and just south of 99 lives collected I snapped out of it and it was done. It's seriously one of those games I played so much as a kid that I have no ability to view it with anything resembling freshness or an objective viewpoint.

I usually played as the Yellow Kongs but I forgot at the last minute (I'd have to kill off the Red ones anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Well, now I remember why I never enjoyed replaying that game as much as DKC 2. Most of the levels are either really boring and uninspired or have an obnoxious gimmick.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Almost forgot the whole thing.

Guess I won't be speedrunning this quite yet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jeeze, what a frustrating experience. I almost agree with Miyamoto's opinion that this is a mediocre game with good graphics (but even the graphics aren't that good!). It's definitely above average but the levels are simple run-right affair with lame gimmicks like turning the lights off. Just to make sure my nostalgia goggles hadn't fogged over I popped in DKC2 and it's still a fantastic platformer that makes DKC look like someone's first try at Game Maker or something.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Gonna call it quits on this one. I am really not enjoying the game. It's not very hard, but I just am not having any fun with it and I just can't see myself marathoning my way through the rest tonight (I just finished off that bee boss)

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Yeah, I played DKC2 for the first time a year or two ago, and, while I still enjoy it, going back to the first after years makes it really obvious what a leap forward the sequel is.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Just a heads up that the next challenge will be a PSX challenge this Saturday. I hope everyone had a merry Christmas and has a happy New Year.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

After a long delay due to the holidays, we're back with a new PSX challenge. This one is very near and dear to me, and is one of my favorite games on the PSX.

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile is a side-scrolling platformer that puts you in control of the titular Klonoa, who must journey through Phantomile to help stop the mysterious Ghadius from reviving an ancient evil. The game is known for having a surprisingly heart-wrenching story which may catch new players by surprise.

Your goal in this challenge is to go beyond the ending and clear the Extra Vision. It is up to you to figure out how to reach it.

This challenge will expire on :siren: Saturday, January 11th at 12:00 AM EST :siren:

Manual

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Okay, I'm in. I think I played the demo years ago so I guess now's the chance to play the whole thing.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I'm game. I've never played this before, but I've heard a fair bit about it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Does the PSN EU version of Klonoa still run at 50hz? That almost put me off playing Tomba! (I then discovered it had been fixed for that one) and would probably put me off playing this.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh hey, I remember loving the GBA one quite a bit. I'm in (well, tentatively :shobon:).

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I'm so very in on this. I love Klonoa to death. :3:

It's probably the first PSX title I ever played, and it really does have a good story and enjoyable gameplay.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I was just pointed to this thread by a fellow Goon, and would definitely take this on. Would the Wii remake of this game work? I already own that version and only played it for about an hour when it first came out. This seems like a good reason to dust it off. This video has a comparison of the two versions if you aren't familiar.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Hey it's Klonoa! These games are super fun. :3:
I'm definitely in.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I was just pointed to this thread by a fellow Goon, and would definitely take this on. Would the Wii remake of this game work? I already own that version and only played it for about an hour when it first came out. This seems like a good reason to dust it off. This video has a comparison of the two versions if you aren't familiar.

I'm going to go ahead and say sure. The only thing that would turn me towards saying no is that you get five hearts in the wii version instead of three, but I figure that's outweighed by the game being almost 100% the same otherwise.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Just to clarify, do we need to just get to the end of the extra vision, or do you want us to get a flawless run by picking up all the gems in the level?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm playing this. Klonoa was on the same demo disc for Tomba which also had Einhander and Gex 2 or 3 if I remember correctly. It was a fantastic demo disc.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Cheese Bread posted:

Just to clarify, do we need to just get to the end of the extra vision, or do you want us to get a flawless run by picking up all the gems in the level?

Just clearing the extra vision will do.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Gonna stream my run here in a few:

http://www.twitch.tv/combat_lobster

We're done. Thanks for watching.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 6, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you ever do a long game again in the future I request The Granstream Saga. It's one of the oddest RPGs I've played on the playstation and I need an excuse to finish it.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

That was fun, but also infuriating. I hadn't picked up Klonoa for a long time, so I was having difficulty with some areas.

Pardon the poor quality photos of my TV screen. I had also snapped the ending screen before I did the special stage, but SD card is apparently corrupt and decided to eat that shot. If I need to show that too, let me know and I'll do the final boss again.

I didn't think 5:18:03 was too terrible, but I'm definitely a little rusty! I didn't really feel like doing it again.

Once someone else has completed the game, can you tell me if you agree with me on a few things? Do you think that Joka is the hardest boss in the game? I certainly think so. He kicked my rear end about ten times this run. Every boss leading up to and after him are all completely easy, but Joka always gives me a run for my money with his stupid invincible eclipse powers. Also, Huepow is a complete rear end in a top hat and I hate him forever. Look at how he's sad for like ten seconds after Klonoa leaves and then he's all "Oh well, forget that guy, my world is all pretty again!" :saddowns: I wish bad things on that manipulative stupidhead.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
So me and a friend of mine whose played this game are going to stream the game until I get bored or finish, I've played Klonoa 2 and it wasn't too hard so here we go: http://www.twitch.tv/succinctandpunchy

Got up to 6-1 before calling it a day, I'll revisit soon because I'm pretty close to the end.

EDIT: Didn't end up streaming the rest but I did get around to beating the Extra vision. Didn't take too long. A leisurely challenge to change up the pace. Have a suitably dramatic screenshot.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 7, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Finished the last boss, taking a break before the secret level. Not really a hard game, I had 20 lives to spare by the end, but the sequels definitely addressed two big things: the short range of your attack and the wonky physics. Whenever Klonoa stops running he slides on the ground for some reason. In a game with no momentum and tiny rear end platforms dangling over bottomless pits this leads to dumb deaths.

I never understood why game developers don't ape the popular games for their mechanics. There are a lot of mediocre games that could have been good if the devs had just stolen certain things from other games. And it's not like we're talking about resources or something that costs money, just "hey, you notice how in Contra you can shoot in 6 directions while moving? Let's do that!" Retro Gamer had an article on the development of The Addams Family for SNES/Genesis and the dev said something to the effect of "we noticed Super Mario World was popular but we thought Mario's controls were too jerky."

Yeah, and guess what game people remember 20 years down the road? And people didn't even like The Addams Family when it loving came out so a lot of good your slippery rear end control scheme did.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

al-azad posted:

Finished the last boss, taking a break before the secret level. Not really a hard game, I had 20 lives to spare by the end, but the sequels definitely addressed two big things:

Other thing I think the sequel addressed is the fact that your jump goes the same distance regardless of how long you hold the button which is already going against my learned platforming bias but then also having the glide thing go off automatically if you hold the button for too long after starting a jump, which instantly kills your forward momentum. Means if you instinctively hold the button like I do trying to do a long jump, you won't make it because the glide will fire off halfway through and cause you to not make the distance or if you do what I did way too many times and start holding the button to jump, remember how the game works halfway through my jump and release the button a fraction of a second after the glide goes off and end up falling straight down. The net result of this is that you have to push the button less to achieve a greater movement forward which is counter-intuitive madness. Madness, I tell ya.

I don't even remember if the sequel addressed this but I don't remember having this issue with that game. Minor grievance, yes but I'm posting it here in the hopes that maybe it will help some other challenger understand the controls a little better.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Klonoa complete!

The controls were a little more janky than I expected, but it was still pretty fun. Jumping right after moving/hitting a platform will help a ton, too, as it'll stop your slide and you'll have hangtime even if you do mess up. I think I had more of a problem with enemies spawning at me (or the boss's attack starting where I was) than the platforming. I know I played the GBA one (probably the first, ages ago), but didn't remember anything interesting about the story, so I looked up the :effort: plots of the sequels/spin-offs. It's like they didn't know what to do with the series!

Actually, that probably describes a lot of Namco games...

al-azad posted:

If you ever do a long game again in the future I request The Granstream Saga. It's one of the oddest RPGs I've played on the playstation and I need an excuse to finish it.
That was one of the few PSX games I wanted to try, actually (being the biggest Quintet game I've never played), but, yeah, I bet it'd be too long for a week, probably longer unless you had a lot of free time. Unrelated, Policenauts is on that PSX list, too.

Cheese Bread posted:

Once someone else has completed the game, can you tell me if you agree with me on a few things? Do you think that Joka is the hardest boss in the game? I certainly think so. He kicked my rear end about ten times this run. Every boss leading up to and after him are all completely easy, but Joka always gives me a run for my money with his stupid invincible eclipse powers.
I found him to be easier once I stopped using the flutter move, just made everything quicker. Still slow though trying to deal with the color ground effect. I had more of a problem than I'd figure with a lot of the final bosses because the graphics, while rather cool, looked too noisy to me (not that I died a ton, just enough to notice it).

al-azad posted:

Retro Gamer had an article on the development of The Addams Family for SNES/Genesis and the dev said something to the effect of "we noticed Super Mario World was popular but we thought Mario's controls were too jerky."
Just amazing.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 9, 2014

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
I see I'm pretty fast :shepface:

I'm direct linking the second shot because it might be considered a spoiler:
http://imgur.com/CsGy9Id

That extra level would certainly have been pretty brutal if you didn't get such a crazy amount of lives there.

Since it has been mentioned in this thread does getting all the gems unlock anything extra?

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

Mman posted:

Since it has been mentioned in this thread does getting all the gems unlock anything extra?

In response... getting I believe 150 gems (or the large blue one for the stage. can't remember the exact number) opens the extra vision. Beating that gives you the music box. Other than that, no, there isn't anything extra (as far as I know).

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Hyperman1992 posted:

In response... getting I believe 150 gems (or the large blue one for the stage. can't remember the exact number) opens the extra vision. Beating that gives you the music box. Other than that, no, there isn't anything extra (as far as I know).

Unlocking the extra vision is done by saving all the Phantomilians in each level.

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

Shlapintogan posted:

Unlocking the extra vision is done by saving all the Phantomilians in each level.

You're right. Can't believe I forgot about those...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And done.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Mman posted:

Actually, yes! If you can collect all 150 gems in the extra stage, you'll get fireworks when you reach the top of the tower.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
And I'm finally done.

This was actually a lot harder than I thought it would be. Also, I like how everyone is using that same shot. :3:

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

And done!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

The Wii remake looks different than the PSX version, but the game is the same. It really ramps up the difficulty in the last couple visions doesn't it? And the Extra Vision was more difficult than I anticipated given the rest of the game's relative ease. It's not in my shot, but it took me about 15:00 (and almost every life) to get through the Extra Vision.

One last note, since the Wii remake gives you 5 hearts instead of 3, I made sure to kill myself every time I got down to 2 hearts, to keep in spirit of the original. :angel:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hey, i'm starting on Klonoa in like, 5 minutes. I remember this game being relatively short so let's see if I have enough time.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I hope you enjoyed Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, because its completion rate gave me a bad idea.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos is...

Well it's tough. It's really, really tough.

Your goal in this challenge is to reach the ending!

This challenge expires on :siren: Saturday, January 18th at 12:00 AM EST :siren:

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I have been lurking for the longest time, not really jumping into the challenge. That ends now.

Count me in for Ninja Gaiden II. I'll probably even stream my run sometime.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
I just looked at the completion chart and DKC is listed as a failure for me despite the fact I called in and posted my results before the time, so I don't know what happened there :confused:

Anyway, I'm in. I played through a bunch of the game on the version included in the Xbox Ninja Gaiden but didn't finish it, so I guess it's time to go all the way now.

Edit: Thanks for the fix!

Mman fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Mman posted:

I just looked at the completion chart and DKC is listed as a failure for me despite the fact I called in and posted my results before the time, so I don't know what happened there :confused:

Anyway, I'm in. I played through a bunch of the game on the version included in the Xbox Ninja Gaiden but didn't finish it, so I guess it's time to go all the way now.

We all make mistakes sometimes. It's been fixed, thanks for the heads-up.

• Locked thread