Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Chexoid posted:

Speaking of Croc, I love that moment in Arkham Origins when he shows up at the end, has batman by the throat, then is just like "ah gently caress it, Maury's on in ten minutes" and leaves.
Wait, I just finished the game and don't remember this. I don't think I ever saw him again after the prologue boss fight. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sindai posted:

Wait, I just finished the game and don't remember this. I don't think I ever saw him again after the prologue boss fight. :raise:

He shows up when you're trying to safe Warden Josephs before the final confrontation with Joker, right around the time you tag-team it up with Gordon. He's only in a cutscene, you don't actually interact with him in any meaningful way.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Chexoid posted:

Speaking of Croc, I love that moment in Arkham Origins when he shows up at the end, has batman by the throat, then is just like "ah gently caress it, Maury's on in ten minutes" and leaves.

This part and the part where Croc just bitchslaps one of Black Mask's goons randomly after Loeb is killed always made me wonder what was going on in his mind.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This part and the part where Croc just bitchslaps one of Black Mask's goons randomly after Loeb is killed always made me wonder what was going on in his mind.

He's a lovely mercenary.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The same thing that's going through Black Mask's mind in this panel I would say.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

HenessyHero posted:

Ivy's a vigilante eco-terrorist who's taken up a cause that was ignored by the city in an excessive, radical way.

Croc is... uh...

Scary half-beast man.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, I think I get it. Batman is a normal human but wants to assume his mantle to be a symbol of fear while Croc is a symbol of fear who just wants to be a normal human.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Sometimes a croc is just a croc.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Pretty much all of his enemies are. That's what makes his rogues gallery so great.

You also have Ra's Al Ghul, Bane, Simon Hurt.

And then you have ones who aren't really but still meant to be dark mirrors of aspects of him like Two-Face losing perspective as an arbitrator of justice, or Penguin now being the corrupt aristocrat, and Mr Freeze going to extremes in grief in the pursuit of family.

Scarecrow, also. Batman uses fear as a weapon to protect the innocent, while Scarecrow uses fear to prey on them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, I think I get it. Batman is a normal human but wants to assume his mantle to be a symbol of fear while Croc is a symbol of fear who just wants to be a normal human.

Plus Croc got teased endlessly by the schoolchildren when he was young, and that's pretty much how serial killers are made. That, and his mom walked around in her underwear a lot. Plus daddy drank. And..... his uncle was really "hands on". Plus he really got into some crazy skylarks and caprices as a young lad.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Do Poison Ivy and Killer Croc represent aspects of Batman? :stare:

Batman is an urban legend, as are killer crocodiles in the sewers.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Just finished the Batman: Arkham Origins - Blackgate game on Vita. Is there a thread for that, or do people care if I discuss it here?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This is your one-stop bat shop. (the vita game even has an entry in the OP!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Phylodox posted:

He shows up when you're trying to safe Warden Josephs before the final confrontation with Joker, right around the time you tag-team it up with Gordon. He's only in a cutscene, you don't actually interact with him in any meaningful way.

Yep, and if I remember right he's shot by the sniper who was aiming for Batman but gets knocked off-target by Gordon. Croc, not a fan of being shot, figures,"gently caress it," and just goes back to his cell.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Playing through Asylum again I'm reminded of how goddamn well crafted the game is - I just can't get over how silly Batman's costume looks. :smith:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's just the ears. The rest I'm fine with. I liked seeing a Batman that didn't look like he was wearing a bunch of body-armour plates all over.

But those ears.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
See I'm fine with the ears - ever since I was told they apparently hold antenna I can't help but see them as anything else - but it's the underpants which drive me mad. It's like, christ man, you're the incarnation of fear you look ridiculous in your underwear.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Nah, I'm fine with that.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is there an issue that prevents one of the campaigns from being unlocked? I've 100%ed the story and gotten gold on every challenge, but the campaign to the right of "Cowardly and Superstitious," the one which should be three non-extreme predator maps, is still locked. Highlighting it says to progress through the story to unlock it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Just finished the Batman: Arkham Origins - Blackgate game on Vita. Is there a thread for that, or do people care if I discuss it here?

Oh hey, this reminds me.

In a recent Steam leak Batman: Arkham Origins - Blackgate HD was listed. So it's a possibility that the game will come to PC and perhaps consoles and I can play it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Is it worth it?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Is it worth it?

It's not BAD by any means and it's fun. But it is very different from the other games and is closer to shadow complex. The stealth sections and combat sections work, but are very limited next to the console versions but it's a decent game and has the same voice cast as the other titles (including AC Catwoman)

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

MrJacobs posted:

It's not BAD by any means and it's fun. But it is very different from the other games and is closer to shadow complex. The stealth sections and combat sections work, but are very limited next to the console versions but it's a decent game and has the same voice cast as the other titles (including AC Catwoman)

Yeah. I was about to say - the game has a few things that are hard to forgive, but it isn't enough to drat the game. Thanks to the Vita having a built-in screenshot taker, I will share some screenies from the game also!

It's very playable, very fun at times - the batman formula that is established in other Arkham games is alive and well here, with stealth takedowns, the same(ish) combat, but with a few twists to fit the sidescrolling format. I know everywhere they say the game is '2.5d' but believe me, there isn't any true 3Dish movement in the game, 99.99% of travel is left and right from point A to point B, with the camera panning at times to make the world feel more indepth. Again, this isn't a bad thing, traversing the game feels great.

Of course some small changes are made to help with the spectrum, such as sight lines added to enemies:

Now I played on Vita, so to me the game was a little ugly at times - but you need to understand the game was tandem developed for both Nintendo 3DS and Playstation Vita, and you can tell which system set the bar. Environments look good, animations are great, but sometimes when the games camera pulls in nice and close you get a shock as to how some of the characters look. I bet the game looks fine on the 3DS, but in the Vita it makes you wonder if every enemy is smeared in human poo poo, blood, and grass stains.

But when the game looks good, it looks very good - especially for a portable title.

Cutscenes are 2D comic-panel-esque mini animations, and are mostly told in black and white with splashes of colour, and are fully voiced by the same cast you've heard in other games. They looks very good, and fit the game well:

The story is a standard canned Bat-adventure, a riot broke out at Blackgate and the super villain inmates have claimed turf and divided the prison between them, with the big names being Penguin, Joker and Blackmask. Being a Metroidvania-like this means backtracking at later points, and it's fairly inoffensive. Part of the story explains that Catwoman is there also, and she is your 'voice in your ear' like Alfred in Origins, so when Penguin locks himself in a basement, she'll flirt with you and explain that there is a gadget or doohickey in another place that you could use to get to him, and the story progresses.

Speaking of doohickeys, I am surprised they managed to not only incorporate existing gadgets, but mix them up to serve the purpose of the game. I loved the Explosive Gel LAUNCHER (yes, a launcher) to shoot goo at targets to open areas - and though the Line Launcher wasn't in Origins, it's here and works beautifully on a 2D plane. Detective vision also works with the touchscreen being used to analyse things, and the Cryptosequencer has been changed to a little 'Match the Numbers' minigame, which can be used with the systems accelerometer to make you feel extra cool.

Things that pissed me off: A lot of the backtracking, though essential, is mostly boring because enemies don't respawn. I mean, I didn't want to have to slog through the same enemies each time, but after you cleared an area it feels dead - except for maybe 1 or 2 places (rooms) where the same enemies respawn for no reason I can understand. The game is usually quite good at pointing out your current objective, but at one point I got frustrated with a boss fight because a very particular gameplay element I had not have to use up til that point was REQUIRED to beat the boss, and I had no idea what it was until I happened upon it by chance. I guess I am used to Batman doing his usualy "I'll need to X/Y/Z to beat this guy" monologue when fights start. This frustrating was only for this fight, and the other bosses felt good, one in particular was really well done - but I am not spoiling that.

Games good, buy it cheap if you love Batman and want Batman in the palm of your Bat-hand. Just don't expect portable Asylum/City/Origins.

If you want to pour over all the screenshots, I have mirrored them here before I put them on my website:
http://imgur.com/a/GYuwr

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 10, 2014

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How many evil Batman counterparts are there now, anyway? Owlman, Prometheus, Deathstroke...

Heck, even Joker, Zsasz, Black Mask, and Hush have similarities to Batman.

And there's this guy - the Wrath!

I was kind of bummed that the story DLC is just gonna be a Heart of Ice re-tread instead of giving us something new, but oh well. Better an overabundance of Batman than not. Speaking of which, I just read the entire Gotham Central arc and really hope that Gotham TV series follows suit. I liked, for the most part, how Batman's relationship with the cops was portrayed in Origins, and I especially liked a lot of the cop dialog all throughout the game. Gotham PD really came across as the most corrupt police force on Earth, as it should.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, right, I forgot about Wrath. He was in The Batman, too, wasn't he?

Also, apparently Batman Beyond is getting renewed for DC Nation with new episodes. :stare:

Maybe there will be a Batman: Arkham Beyond in the near future?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

MeatwadIsGod posted:

And there's this guy - the Wrath!

I was kind of bummed that the story DLC is just gonna be a Heart of Ice re-tread instead of giving us something new, but oh well. Better an overabundance of Batman than not. Speaking of which, I just read the entire Gotham Central arc and really hope that Gotham TV series follows suit. I liked, for the most part, how Batman's relationship with the cops was portrayed in Origins, and I especially liked a lot of the cop dialog all throughout the game. Gotham PD really came across as the most corrupt police force on Earth, as it should.

The show takes place right after the Wayne murder, so really it is going to be a regular cop show with a Gotham overcoat. The only remotely cool thing they could do would be going into the weird history of Gotham's big wealthy families.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Speaking of doohickeys, I am surprised they managed to not only incorporate existing gadgets, but mix them up to serve the purpose of the game. I loved the Explosive Gel LAUNCHER (yes, a launcher) to shoot goo at targets to open areas

You forgot to mention the coolest thing about the gel launcher: It's literally the same gun as the one used at the end of the Dark Knight shooting the sticky bomb charges at the construction site.

ToastyPotato posted:

The show takes place right after the Wayne murder, so really it is going to be a regular cop show with a Gotham overcoat. The only remotely cool thing they could do would be going into the weird history of Gotham's big wealthy families.

That does sound awesome. If only because it doesn't make you wonder why nobody is cracking down on OBSCENE murder rated in major cities in other cop shows. I mean according to Law and Order I am going to get murdered and raped within six minutes of each other and found in various public places and yet tourism is still up in NYC. You don't bat an eye at that poo poo in Gotham.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, apparently Batman Beyond is getting renewed for DC Nation with new episodes. :stare:

Which well-liked show are they cancelling for that?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Aphrodite posted:

Which well-liked show are they cancelling for that?

None. It'll be a DC nation short.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

:fap: Oh hell yes, even if it's just a special more of that show is awesome.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I really love how they were told to create a "Batman in High School" show to produce more toys, and they gave a great cyberpunk show instead.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I've tried getting into Batman Beyond, but I just can't. Return of the Joker was great, but I can't get into the series. The Akira-esque cyberpunk aesthetic is pretty cool, but turning Batman into an Iron Man-like hero bums me out. I realize how dumb this sounds, but I feel like only Bruce deserves to be Batman, and I find it really cool how he's basically just a ninja detective in Batman: The Animated Series. You really got the feel that he worked all of his adult life for this, and while I can understand their turning Bruce into this acerbic and bitter old man, it really does the B:TAS Bruce a disservice. I'm sure it's an excellent series since it has the same creative and artistic minds from B:TAS and Justice League, but it's not nearly as interesting to me.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've tried getting into Batman Beyond, but I just can't. Return of the Joker was great, but I can't get into the series. The Akira-esque cyberpunk aesthetic is pretty cool, but turning Batman into an Iron Man-like hero bums me out. I realize how dumb this sounds, but I feel like only Bruce deserves to be Batman, and I find it really cool how he's basically just a ninja detective in Batman: The Animated Series. You really got the feel that he worked all of his adult life for this, and while I can understand their turning Bruce into this acerbic and bitter old man, it really does the B:TAS Bruce a disservice. I'm sure it's an excellent series since it has the same creative and artistic minds from B:TAS and Justice League, but it's not nearly as interesting to me.

Terry is literally Bruce if his mother survived the mugging.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm going through Blackgate right now. The combat is close (not as responsive) and they got all of the voice actors to return from Origins. It's pretty good except for two things:

1. The map design is weird, they go for a 2.5D perspective that can screw up the direction you think you need to go.

2. The boss fights are frustrating. They're built around the item you get in the level of the boss and if you screw up even a little bit it's an instant game over, forcing you to start the encounter again.

The boss fights really drain the enjoyment out of it for me, I just don't want to really continue after being murdered by Penguins goons again. I've also read up on how to unlock everything and it's an amazing list of bullshit.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Plus, Terry isn't as hypercompetent as Bruce. Yes, he has some fighting skills, but he's often out of his depth. The show has great character development showing him going through training and becoming more competent, and eventually a good successor to Batman. It doesn't do a diservice to Bruce, but rather shows how hard he had to train to be Batman.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

bunnyofdoom posted:

Plus, Terry isn't as hypercompetent as Bruce. Yes, he has some fighting skills, but he's often out of his depth. The show has great character development showing him going through training and becoming more competent, and eventually a good successor to Batman. It doesn't do a diservice to Bruce, but rather shows how hard he had to train to be Batman.

The show was definitely at its best when dealing with the fates of Bruce's rogues, but Terry-centric episodes like "Babel" and "Lost Soul" were awesome.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

hiddenriverninja posted:

The show was definitely at its best when dealing with the fates of Bruce's rogues, but Terry-centric episodes like "Babel" and "Lost Soul" were awesome.
My favorite episode involving Terry has to be Epilogue, everything is just tied up in a nice knot and the DCAU goes full circle by recreating the first scene of BTAS at the end. I like Terry because he's what Bruce could have been if he didn't push everyone away/become a bitter recluse. That and the Ace flashback :cry:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's you. You're the reason we couldn't have Dick Grayson as Batman. :argh:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Coughing Hobo posted:

It's you. You're the reason we couldn't have Dick Grayson as Batman. :argh:

But we did. Batman, Inc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Skoll posted:

But we did. Batman, Inc.

That we couldn't have him STAY as Batman.

• Locked thread