Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

What kind of wire is decent for inner-console mods, anyway? I'm thinking I will do the mod to the MD1 to put proper stereo RCA outs on it to avoid using the worn out jack in the front; is the cable from inside a CAT5 insulated enough or is there something better to order?

Most guides I've seen just use wrapping/kynar wire. Good luck stripping it without the right wire strippers though. I've used it for a few A/V mods and didn't notice any quality problems. I suppose wire from a CAT5 cable could do the job too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

DisposableHero posted:

Quite a while back I remember seeing some place selling what were basically DS cases. Since they have a slot to put a GBA game in them they looked like they made good GBA cases and Cover Project appears to have a lot of GBA covers to fit these cases. Can anyone recommend someplace to buy several? After going full UGC on almost all my console games I'd really like to do something similar for my handhelds.

As far as I can tell there's no equivalent case for older game boy games which is unfortunate but I'd settle or the GBA games. So many good games in that generation.

Edit: I see now that you can mod the DS cases to accommodate gameboy games but boy it looks like a pain to do for very many games.

Not sure if you've run into this fact yet, but the DS cases that Nintendo sells on their site no longer have the GBA cart slot. What I did when I was casing up my games was to buy the replacement cases from Nintendo, swap my DS games into those, and then use the old-style cases for GBA games. They sell them at $7/10 pack.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The ones with a DS card slot and a GBA slot were meant for the couple of DS releases that used GBA slot accessories, like a rumble pak or extra ram.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Install Windows posted:

The ones with a DS card slot and a GBA slot were meant for the couple of DS releases that used GBA slot accessories, like a rumble pak or extra ram.

I don't know if that's the case because the launch DS cases, if I recall correctly, had GBA slots in them, and there were no GBA (slot 2) devices on launch.

Keyboard Kid posted:

This is one of the ones I originally purchased, and it has major checkerboarding. I noticed a pin or two on the connector was missing compared to the official cables. If anyone has these that apparently work properly and have a capture device, I'd like to see what it looks like. The difference between S-Video and composite will be immediately noticeable, maybe covering up the faults of the cable, but I've had a lot of people somehow not notice the checkerboarding with their cables.

If someone does not notice it on cheap s-video cables it's probably because the image is so much better than composite that they don't notice it, or they are using a CRT and it's way harder to detect on a CRT.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
After some googling I found one example of what I'm looking for though this is in the UK rather than the US. http://www.cdsmedia.co.uk/Gaming/Nintendo_DS_Replacement_Game_Case_Clear.aspx

I know I saw a place to buy them bulk for a decent price but this was months ago and I can't seem to find it again.

Edit: Actually these look reasonable. http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Black-Nintendo-Replacement-VGBR14DSBK/dp/B0039ZWQQY The listing actually says they do NOT accommodate GBA games but they clearly have the GBA slot...

Edit Again: Reviews all over the place on these actually and somehow they don't fit GBA games without modification. The search continues.

DisposableHero fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 9, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I don't know if that's the case because the launch DS cases, if I recall correctly, had GBA slots in them, and there were no GBA (slot 2) devices on launch.

They were planning for that from the start, it's one part of why they did keep the GBA slot for compatibility. Nintendo's original name for the concept was "DS Option Pak".

DisposableHero posted:

Edit Again: Reviews all over the place on these actually and somehow they don't fit GBA games without modification. The search continues.

Those cases look like they were designed to hold the reduced size Memory Expansion Pak that went with the DS browser and was sized so that it fit flush in the DS Lite.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

McCracAttack posted:

I suppose wire from a CAT5 cable could do the job too.

It would do the job but ethernet wire is almost definitely in twisted pairs which, if you're dealing with video or audio, could cause interference. If it's just data lines then you're fine

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
What's the proper way to do the job, then? I'd planned to just cut off a few inches of cable and pull out the individual wires, untwist those and use them. What kind of wires would be best for analog AV signals inside the console?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Let me take this moment to extol the virtues of Shin-Etsu Grease. I was kinda unhappy with the Micomsoft XE-1 I bought, but couldn't really put my finger on why. At first I thought it was too loose, but after a while I realized that while it is a bit looser than the ASCII, the major difference between the two is that the ASCII smoothly travels along it's square gate, while the XE-1 kinda ground it's way along and just didn't feel very nice. I opened the thing up and it was completely dry. If there had ever been grease there in the first place it was long gone.

I googled around and found that both Sanwa and Seimetsu use Shin-Etsu grease on their sticks, Sanwa uses G-40M and Seimetsu uses G-501 (this site gives a breakdown of the different kinds of grease). G-501 seems especially made for plastics and is the stuff I'd really like to find but no luck, it seems only available in bulk. The G-40M is available from the site I linked, but once you figure in shipping from Korea, the price becomes a little crazy for a tube of grease.

I found out that you can get something very similar to the G-40M from Honda dealerships, the G-30M is mostly the same just with a lower heat tolerance. Since I'm not lubricating industrial machinery I figured it would work fine, and it did. I called the local Honda dealership's parts department and asked if they had part #08798-9013, 15 minutes later I was back home lubing my stick :v: The results are like night and day, and now the XE-1 feels better than the ASCII, it really does feel like a pro-grade stick. So yeah, If you have a stick you're kinda unhappy with maybe it just needs some grease.

EDIT:

mmm, yeah

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 9, 2014

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

Not sure if you've run into this fact yet, but the DS cases that Nintendo sells on their site no longer have the GBA cart slot. What I did when I was casing up my games was to buy the replacement cases from Nintendo, swap my DS games into those, and then use the old-style cases for GBA games. They sell them at $7/10 pack.

This is a great idea, thanks!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Sentient Data posted:

What's the proper way to do the job, then? I'd planned to just cut off a few inches of cable and pull out the individual wires, untwist those and use them. What kind of wires would be best for analog AV signals inside the console?

Solid core wire, 22 or 24 AWG.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

So I'm looking to capture some Dreamcast footage and I'm trying to figure out the best option for doing so. The DC has two options for good quality output, s-video or VGA. Since my eyes just glaze over and I go a bit catatonic when trying to understand all the intricacies of video formats, which is the best option? I either need to output s-video into a capture device (this or this, not sure which one is best but the Hauppauge is half the price of the Elgato), or output VGA into a converter into another capture device.

Which route should I go to get the best video quality? I know VGA is best for the DC, but it does have to be converted into component to be captured and I'm not sure how much the quality will degrade there. They also cost about the same, $40-80 for an s-video capture device or $40 for a VGA box and $20-50~ for a converter (I'm getting a component capture device regardless so I'm not counting that), and I'm a cheapass who also wants to spend as little as possible on this. What do you guys recommend?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Safari Disco Lion posted:

So I'm looking to capture some Dreamcast footage and I'm trying to figure out the best option for doing so. The DC has two options for good quality output, s-video or VGA. Since my eyes just glaze over and I go a bit catatonic when trying to understand all the intricacies of video formats, which is the best option? I either need to output s-video into a capture device (this or this, not sure which one is best but the Hauppauge is half the price of the Elgato), or output VGA into a converter into another capture device.

Which route should I go to get the best video quality? I know VGA is best for the DC, but it does have to be converted into component to be captured and I'm not sure how much the quality will degrade there. They also cost about the same, $40-80 for an s-video capture device or $40 for a VGA box and $20-50~ for a converter (I'm getting a component capture device regardless so I'm not counting that), and I'm a cheapass who also wants to spend as little as possible on this. What do you guys recommend?

VGA, all the time. You can get an affordable Avermedia Game Broadcaster HD or StarTechPEXHDCAP (this thread's popular card) with included VGA/DVI adapter that will take the VGA signal directly and you can use a stereo 3.5mm male to male cable from the VGA box into the PC's line-in. Easy setup.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 9, 2014

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

VGA is ideal, but there's a catch; almost all stock Dreamcast VGA boxes only support 31KHz output. Some games -- most notably, Bangai-O -- request 15KHz output, and the VGA output shuts off.

So, here's what you do.

1) Get a StarTech PEXHDCAP; there's a link to the Amazon page in this thread's OP. It's an internal PCI-Express 1x card that can capture HDMI (up to 1080p), component YPbPr, and VGA/DVI. And, in particular, its VGA-in port supports both 31KHz and 15KHz.

2) Follow these instructions for getting a DC VGA box and modifying it to support both 15KHz and 31KHz signals.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ullerrm posted:

VGA is ideal, but there's a catch; almost all stock Dreamcast VGA boxes only support 31KHz output. Some games -- most notably, Bangai-O -- request 15KHz output, and the VGA output shuts off.

So, here's what you do.

1) Get a StarTech PEXHDCAP; there's a link to the Amazon page in this thread's OP. It's an internal PCI-Express 1x card that can capture HDMI (up to 1080p), component YPbPr, and VGA/DVI. And, in particular, its VGA-in port supports both 31KHz and 15KHz.

2) Follow these instructions for getting a DC VGA box and modifying it to support both 15KHz and 31KHz signals.

As an FYI, the mod is not necessary if you have or are getting a Hanzo VGA box, that functionality is built in.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Interesting, looks like the Avermedia card is the best option for me since that would also replace the capture device I was looking to get (though I might have to upgrade my PC's CPU in that case since it's only a dual core 3.0ghz). Is there a list of games though that require the 15KHz setup/mod? I'm not interested in Bangai-O but might be in something else.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

Missed this before. That sounds like an excellent plan. I've certainly got enough of the DS cases with the GBA slot to do the switchout.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Interesting, looks like the Avermedia card is the best option for me since that would also replace the capture device I was looking to get (though I might have to upgrade my PC's CPU in that case since it's only a dual core 3.0ghz). Is there a list of games though that require the 15KHz setup/mod? I'm not interested in Bangai-O but might be in something else.

This list looks pretty comprehensive for NTSC-U and PAL games. I would assume any red X would need 15Khz.

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?56169-Dreamcast-VGA-Compatability-list-amp-Guide

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

ullerrm posted:

I did a variant of that:

I used a three way, two pole switch though so the slider now changes between VGA/RGB/svideo&composite. Now it still looks the same with it closed as well.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I found a video that is pretty interesting if anyone is a fan of Illusion of Gaia/Time and are interested in the differences between the prototype and retail releases. Someone made a video of Illusion of Gaia's prototype next to the retail version:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgr7ok_illusion-of-gaia-beta-changes-part-1_videogames

It's side-by-side so you can see even tiny differences like grammar corrections or "personality changes".

I'm usually not a fan of watching video game footage, but this is a rare exception. Looks like the person went through a lot of trouble too (you will notice they will sometimes purposely walk into a wall to "align" the character with the other game). I think they are somehow literally playing two games at once but with one input? I'm guessing two different SNES emulators running at once, using a single keyboard/joystick.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 10, 2014

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm usually not a fan of watching video game footage, but this is a rare exception. Looks like the person went through a lot of trouble too (you will notice they will sometimes purposely walk into a wall to "align" the character with the other game). I think they are somehow literally playing two games at once but with one input? I'm guessing two different SNES emulators running at once, using a single keyboard/joystick.

If you have an emulator that can keep running when it's not selected and still accept keyboard inputs or direct inputs it's not too hard. Run multiple instances of the emulator and play 4 megaman or pokemon games with one set of inputs! :spergin:

Still cool as hell.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This is actually an emulator trick that's been in use for some time due to someone getting the crazy idea to speedrun two or more games simultaneously with identical inputs. I think they've completed four separate speedruns doing it (Mega Mans 3-6 simultaneously, Mega Mans X1-X3, Final Fantasy 5+6, and Super Mario 1, 2, 2j (Lost Levels FDS) and 3).

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

univbee posted:

This is actually an emulator trick that's been in use for some time due to someone getting the crazy idea to speedrun two or more games simultaneously with identical inputs. I think they've completed four separate speedruns doing it (Mega Mans 3-6 simultaneously, Mega Mans X1-X3, Final Fantasy 5+6, and Super Mario 1, 2, 2j (Lost Levels FDS) and 3).

Jesus Christ. What should I google to find this?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Jesus Christ. What should I google to find this?

Nothing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj67TKjDARI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=261982dMI38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x9Pwy8C_6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEn0yjEKnWA

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

That is patently insane.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I...don't think I quite understand. It makes sense if you are playing the NES and SNES versions of Super Mario 3 at the same time, but two different games? How, when walking to the right in Mega Man 2, would you not walk directly into a pit in Mega Man 3?

:psyduck:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

I...don't think I quite understand. It makes sense if you are playing the NES and SNES versions of Super Mario 3 at the same time, but two different games? How, when walking to the right in Mega Man 2, would you not walk directly into a pit in Mega Man 3?

I was going to ask the same thing but just assumed I was missing something stupid. From the sounds of it (if I'm getting this right) you're essentially controlling 4 games with 1 controller. So like you asked, how is it you can be fighting a boss yet still be jumping over pits and crap in another game?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Keep in mind these are TAS's so they can literally go frame by frame through each game for the optimum input. You'll notice in the MMX video there are parts where they go backwards unnecessarily in one game because they have to in another to advance.

EDIT: I don't mean to discount the videos because holy poo poo it's still pretty mind-blowing that someone figured out how to do it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A LOT of precise timing and fuckery, and exploiting areas where specific button pushes don't affect certain game instances (e.g. when one or two Mega Man games are scrolling to the next area, no button pushes will affect that game during the brief window before the screen scrolls. Also things like boss animations, the WEAPON GET parts etc.). It's definitely legit, since you can take the exact same emulator playthrough file (which is basically just a script for specific button presses) and apply to any of those games individually and it'll work, although with some time wasting in safe areas like jumping around unnecessarily and not moving as fast as possible.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

How, when walking to the right in Mega Man 2, would you not walk directly into a pit in Mega Man 3?
Careful planning. It should also be noted that these are all tool assisted and as such make use of emulator tricks such as slowdown and savestates to achieve incredible looking runs.

Edit: Beaten so hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

What the fuuuuuck :psyboom:

My head asplode. I don't even know where to begin.

Like, I can see that this is possible, and it looks legit, but how would you even...

X and X2 at the same time is so crazy on its own, that would take serious dedication, but X, X2, AND X3? Whaaaat.

He's like fighting one boss while jumping on a platform over and over in another while waiting for the "skip level" cutscene in another...

Tool assisted runs are some crazy :spergin: poo poo

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 10, 2014

InvadErGII
May 29, 2008
Has anyone ever tried to do two entirely different games/franchises at once like this? With Mega Man/Mario, the general direction of movement is the same in all of the games. I'd be curious to see how well someone could simultaneously play, say, Link to the Past and Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Man, that stuff is insane!

The craziest thing I was able to pull off on a console was the "beat Zelda for SNES in 6 minutes" thing. I wish I was crafty enough to be able to do the "beat Super Mario World in 2 minutes" thing.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Yeah that makes a little more sense considering it was so tool assisted. I can respect that stuff to a certain extent but geez.

You'd think if someone could put the time and effort into this they could do similar yet different games like RGB mentioned. Something like Adventure Island and Mario 2 or some jazz.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Couldn't you just buy some crappy DS games that nobody wants such as licensed poo poo and shovelware, toss the game carts and keep the cases? You'd be doing the gaming world a favor by getting rid of poo poo games and re-purposing those cases for something else.

Also, those multi-game speedruns, just wow. :psyboom:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Yes I finally got this at a not-insane price

Got it for $20, much better than the $60+ people demand on eBay. Now to finally play this game and not die constantly...

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I need to go back to SMT Nocturne, I got sidetracked by the Kwirk minigame and then put it down for a while and now I should probably start over.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Discount Viscount posted:

I need to go back to SMT Nocturne, I got sidetracked by the Kwirk minigame and then put it down for a while and now I should probably start over.

I made the mistake of falling in with my brother's hype about this game back when it was new and incredibly rare, and I placated myself by reading the strategy guide and listening to the soundtrack since I couldn't get a hold of the game. When I finally got it I almost never wanted to play it.

Of course, I tried almost all of the PS2 SMT games and the only one I completed was Digital Devil Saga. I couldn't even be bothered to try the sequel. Too much grinding for most of the games, I think.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Phantasium posted:

I made the mistake of falling in with my brother's hype about this game back when it was new and incredibly rare, and I placated myself by reading the strategy guide and listening to the soundtrack since I couldn't get a hold of the game. When I finally got it I almost never wanted to play it.

Of course, I tried almost all of the PS2 SMT games and the only one I completed was Digital Devil Saga. I couldn't even be bothered to try the sequel. Too much grinding for most of the games, I think.

I also have all the Personas on my Vita. I like SMT a lot I just grow tired of going back to the older ones. I never played Nocturne until this year while I was waiting on SMT4 and it destroyed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yay, shopping day! I got games for shooting things and games for swording things. Or...glaive...ing...things. I guess.

• Locked thread