Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
After playing hours and hours of AC and AO, I went back to AA to finish up the achievements (for about the forth or fifth time) on Steam this time and god is the combat just completely outclassed now. I didn't mind the predator mode stuff or just really limited navigation (stopping to grappel, etc.) but yeah the combat is just an entire other level by the time you move into AC it's just ridiculous.

Also even though AA has proximity auto-detonate explosive gel, it is used properly and only goes off if an enemy steps on it. WB hosed it up by making it go off when the "hostile" counter beeps, leading to walls exploding prematurely or the gel just stunning an enemy because he was on the other side of the explosion, rather than using it as a stunning floor trap. Having it in AO is frustrating because it will gently caress up your attempts to collapse walls on people if someone wanders around the other side of it, setting it off and only stunning himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ayn rand hand job posted:

Terry is literally Bruce if his mother survived the mugging.

Terry is a more popular Peter Parker who works for Bruce Wayne and has an fancy suit instead of spider powers, cracking jokes and being an rear end in a top hat. It's great. Bruce would have just given fucktons of money to the city and been a drunken playboy (though a decent human being) if his mother survived.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've tried getting into Batman Beyond, but I just can't. Return of the Joker was great, but I can't get into the series. The Akira-esque cyberpunk aesthetic is pretty cool, but turning Batman into an Iron Man-like hero bums me out. I realize how dumb this sounds, but I feel like only Bruce deserves to be Batman, and I find it really cool how he's basically just a ninja detective in Batman: The Animated Series. You really got the feel that he worked all of his adult life for this, and while I can understand their turning Bruce into this acerbic and bitter old man, it really does the B:TAS Bruce a disservice. I'm sure it's an excellent series since it has the same creative and artistic minds from B:TAS and Justice League, but it's not nearly as interesting to me.

I liked Batman Beyond and it's fantastic on it's own, but really loving stupid when paired with the other series in the DCAU. I like Spider-Man esque kid working for Batman and all the fun changes, and then you have Barbara Gordon being a police chief and a city that has evolved over 100-150 years of tech in the span of like 40 years. Cyber Gotham is cool, but feels a little too futuristic and is both more iconic to the series, but doesn't feel like Gotham at all.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I really love how they were told to create a "Batman in High School" show to produce more toys, and they gave a great cyberpunk show instead.

Is this true? Did that weird program to pitch that Gotham High show come from that only to be beaten by Beyond?

hiddenriverninja posted:

The show was definitely at its best when dealing with the fates of Bruce's rogues, but Terry-centric episodes like "Babel" and "Lost Soul" were awesome.

I liked when Terry had to fight the Shocker(Shriek), Kraven the Hunter(stalker), and the cuiver episode were pretty awesome. Most of Terry's villains were pretty cool, but weren't as interesting as most of Bruce's gallery. Inque is loving cool and should be brought back though, she had more appearances than any of his other main rogues as far as I know.

Coughing Hobo posted:

It's you. You're the reason we couldn't have Dick Grayson as Batman. :argh:

Actually it's Warner Bros enjoying money since not as many people would be up for Dick as Batman unless it was a sequel to a movie where Bruce gets hosed up, and he comes back in the sequel or a new television show or one-shot special. Outside of comics and a single cartoon, Bruce will always be Batman.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I got this game in the Christmas sale. I keep worrying I'll run into all the bugs people keep talking about, but apart from Batman doing a brief interpretive dance instead of gliding one time I haven't noticed any problems.

The presentation is really incredible, I know they'll have less impact on subsequent playthroughs, but the "World's greatest detective" scenes are really fantastic, feels like a crime drama. Batman having a different voice actor isn't as jarring as I thought it would be, he does a good job I think. I haven't run into the Joker yet though. Favorite line so far is when Alfred called to sadly wish me a Merry Christmas.

Deathstroke tried to shoot me and I dropped a smoke bomb and he made fun of me for my crude gadgetry and then a batclaw shot out of the smoke cloud and dragged him into it where he got punched twenty times by eager fists. :getin:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

MrJacobs posted:

Actually it's Warner Bros enjoying money since not as many people would be up for Dick as Batman unless it was a sequel to a movie where Bruce gets hosed up, and he comes back in the sequel or a new television show or one-shot special. Outside of comics and a single cartoon, Bruce will always be Batman.

Yeah, I know that, I was employing this thing called "levity." Although I legitimately enjoyed Dick as Bats post-Battle for the Cowl, there was no chance of Bruce staying dead. Hell, even if New 52 didn't happen, I didn't expect Dick to stay as Batman once Bruce did come back.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

achillesforever6 posted:

That and the Ace flashback :cry:

Then he named his dog after her.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mzbundifund posted:

Deathstroke tried to shoot me and I dropped a smoke bomb and he made fun of me for my crude gadgetry and then a batclaw shot out of the smoke cloud and dragged him into it where he got punched twenty times by eager fists. :getin:

I think you just became Batman. :v:

Phylodox posted:

Then he named his dog after her.

Wow, that's why he called him Ace?

I thought it was just reference to Ace the Bathound. :smith:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wow, that's why he called him Ace?

I thought it was just reference to Ace the Bathound. :smith:

They never say that in the show, but...c'mon.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I never realised that Eric Matthews voiced Terry.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I got this game for christmas, and was prepared for it to be not as good as AC from what I heard, but I still had alot of fun playing. It would have been nice to see some of the gadgets look a little more primitive, but I guess not to much would change in five years. It really sucks that hardly anyone plays the multiplayer anymore on the 360 version. I would think it would have at least enough people on it to consistently find a game. Hell, I still saw people playing Bioshock 2 multiplayer a few months ago. Still fun when I could find a game.

MrJacobs posted:

I liked Batman Beyond and it's fantastic on it's own, but really loving stupid when paired with the other series in the DCAU. I like Spider-Man esque kid working for Batman and all the fun changes, and then you have Barbara Gordon being a police chief and a city that has evolved over 100-150 years of tech in the span of like 40 years. Cyber Gotham is cool, but feels a little too futuristic and is both more iconic to the series, but doesn't feel like Gotham at all.

Whats really jarring is in the joker returns Bruce is watching old footage of the joker and its black and white.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Is Origins worth $30 as it is now or should I wait? I was a bit cautious beforehand because of the developer is different and when the game came out I heard it wasn't as fun as City and was extremely buggy to the point it wasn't worth getting until a few patches rolled out.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Is Origins worth $30 as it is now or should I wait? I was a bit cautious beforehand because of the developer is different and when the game came out I heard it wasn't as fun as City and was extremely buggy to the point it wasn't worth getting until a few patches rolled out.

Its a good game, just a little different in terms of counter timing (which is closer to sleeping dogs timing than AC)also if you suck at combat and relied too much on disarm and destroy it can be a little frustrating. It' also important to note that due to a short dev time and forced holiday release it has some major bugs. Other than that it is a good game with some flaws that is totally worth picking up.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 11, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Mr. Fortitude posted:

$30 is fine, but if you wait even longer you could probably get both it and the DLC for cheaper. The multiplayer is worthless, so there isn't really an expiration date on the game. It'd probably be cheaper during the next seasonal sale. Or at least during the Summer sale.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I never realised that Eric Matthews voiced Terry.
Which makes that episode of Kim Possible even funnier because not only is it a homage to the Adam West Batman, but also an injoke to Batman Beyond

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Even if you're not into Batman Beyond, you should watch Return of the Joker (uncut). It does a drat great job of tying Batman Beyond with the rest of the DCAU, has some brutal fights, and goes to some amazingly dark places.

Just avoid the censored version like the plague.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The only thing that bothers me about Batman Beyond is that I don't believe it's ever explained how the Tim Drake thing affected Batman's relationship with the Justice League. Joker was still alive during Unlimited, so I'm not really sure what was going on there.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Now that the looping bug of the final fight was fixed, I got around to gathering the Riddler trophies. In case someone is planning on doing the same, they shouldn't: there is no payoff for collecting all of them, and the 'extortion data' is not actually extortion, just some bad guys talking about the weather or somesuch. If there is going to be collection sidegames in future Batman games, I hope they find some new ideas and rewards for doing so. In Arkham City, the collection was equally tedious, but it was broken up by puzzle rooms and resulted in a gratifying defeat of the Riddler: in Origins it feels like a massive, monotonous undertaking that never goes anywhere.

It would also be great if all the collecting could be done while playing through the main story with the gadgets you already have, instead of having to come back and wander around empty rooms to get that trophy you passed 20 hours ago but didn't have the upgrade for. :geno:

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Batman choosing to call someone Enigma and then interrogating random thugs using that name is so dumb. Even better when some of the thugs have no clue what Batman is talking about.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Good god the multiplayer has every opportunity to be amazing, but then it all comes crashing down with some well placed bullshit. It's a pretty unique idea that's executed well enough, sadly it incorporates the kind of bullshit from other games I have long since hated.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

Its a good game, just a little different in terms of counter timing (which is closer to sleeping dogs timing than AC)

Never played sleeping dogs when it first came out, just got it for free on xbox live and its alot of fun. Awesome at the combat due to playing the Arkham games so much. Free with gold for three more days.

In AO, I find the combat can glitch sometimes, with batman suddenly not being able to throw bat-a-rangs or glue grenades during combat. Or not being able to do a ground take down.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Good god the multiplayer has every opportunity to be amazing, but then it all comes crashing down with some well placed bullshit. It's a pretty unique idea that's executed well enough, sadly it incorporates the kind of bullshit from other games I have long since hated.

I find the biggest weakness of any asymmetrical muliplayer game dealing with guy with gun VS. X, is that everyone wants to be the X and no one wants to be the guy with the gun. One of the reasons that left 4 Dead wasn't as good as it could have been, with some people throwing their turn as the survivors every round. I would have liked more variety for the objectives for the thugs besides just control points. Also found the cover shooting kind of stupid, being against batman and all.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Shnag posted:

I find the biggest weakness of any asymmetrical muliplayer game dealing with guy with gun VS. X, is that everyone wants to be the X and no one wants to be the guy with the gun. One of the reasons that left 4 Dead wasn't as good as it could have been, with some people throwing their turn as the survivors every round. I would have liked more variety for the objectives for the thugs besides just control points. Also found the cover shooting kind of stupid, being against batman and all.

Quite the opposite in this case, the game has an included option to automatically 'Opt-Out' of being the hero team, and rounds usually start with a giant wheel of names where 90% of them are set to opt-out with the game begging at least someone to volunteer to join the level 1 guy who has been chosen as Batman (because he was not aware he COULD opt-out, and at this moment is making GBS threads his pants because he is about to become the Dark Knight) and all the Xx_CoD-KiLLa_xX's with their massively inflated levels and unlocked guns are ready to pump and dump Batman and Robin over and over again, because the game has a woeful selection of maps, and when you know the 'Batman Friendly' areas, you can pre-empt him a lot.

Not that Batman is useless in this mode, every now and then you discover a 'Hero Savant' who thinks outside the box and plays brilliantly, and the game changes from 'Shoot goons and the occasional costumed idiot' into 'Oh jesus where the hell is he this time, oh god its a Bane goon, please dont see me, let batman get him first...'

The game controls beautifully, looks amazing and has very solid gunplay, it just does that stupid thing of 'Unlock better guns as you level up' as well as 'Unlock passive bonuses with gear' that includes poo poo like headshot damage reduction, grenade damage reduction...the list goes on and on. Bottom line, that croation guy with a level of 1234 and 8 games played has better stats than you. Better hope you get the drop on him because you aren't winning 1 on 1.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Batman choosing to call someone Enigma and then interrogating random thugs using that name is so dumb. Even better when some of the thugs have no clue what Batman is talking about.

All the interrogations take on even more surreal humor now that, unlike Arkham City, Batman doesn't have a line after the thug offers to cooperate, and the pop-up saying that data pack locations have been revealed doesn't come up until after the knockout. Plus there's that horrifying crunching noise they added when interrogating a thug on the ground.

"Okay, I'll help! Just don't hurt me!"
*Crunch*

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I know, right? I guess he just expects them to know what he's talking about by virtue of them hiding extortion data, though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If Batman had his massive, armoured boot on my face you can drat well bet I'd let him know whatever he wanted - even if the info I had wasn't, technically, what he wanted.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like how when you get down to one last guy, he'll say something like "I'm sorry, I'll never do it again! :stonk:" while running at you to aim a punch at your face.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I like how when you get down to one last guy, he'll say something like "I'm sorry, I'll never do it again! :stonk:" while running at you to aim a punch at your face.

"I had a rough childhood! :saddowns:"

The goons' dialogue cracks me up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Best I ever got was when the last guy actually did score a glancing blow on the back of Batman's head. As I turned around to face him he said,"I already regret doing that! :gonk:"

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 13, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, the thug dialogue in Arkham Origins is pretty great. I remember I beat this whole group of thugs and turn around to deal with the last guy and he's like "I'm not a bad guy! I just make bad choices!" I actually burst out laughing at that.

And then Batman crippled him for life. :unsmigghh:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yeah, Batman's honour code about not killing people seems a little flimsy when he leaves behind a trail of quadraplegics who have to be fed through a tube.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah, Batman's honour code about not killing people seems a little flimsy when he leaves behind a trail of quadraplegics who have to be fed through a tube.

They ain't dead and can't hurt anybody anymore.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Quite the opposite in this case, the game has an included option to automatically 'Opt-Out' of being the hero team, and rounds usually start with a giant wheel of names where 90% of them are set to opt-out with the game begging at least someone to volunteer to join the level 1 guy who has been chosen as Batman (because he was not aware he COULD opt-out, and at this moment is making GBS threads his pants because he is about to become the Dark Knight) and all the Xx_CoD-KiLLa_xX's with their massively inflated levels and unlocked guns are ready to pump and dump Batman and Robin over and over again, because the game has a woeful selection of maps, and when you know the 'Batman Friendly' areas, you can pre-empt him a lot.

Not that Batman is useless in this mode, every now and then you discover a 'Hero Savant' who thinks outside the box and plays brilliantly, and the game changes from 'Shoot goons and the occasional costumed idiot' into 'Oh jesus where the hell is he this time, oh god its a Bane goon, please dont see me, let batman get him first...'

The game controls beautifully, looks amazing and has very solid gunplay, it just does that stupid thing of 'Unlock better guns as you level up' as well as 'Unlock passive bonuses with gear' that includes poo poo like headshot damage reduction, grenade damage reduction...the list goes on and on. Bottom line, that croation guy with a level of 1234 and 8 games played has better stats than you. Better hope you get the drop on him because you aren't winning 1 on 1.

I rarely see anyone opt out of being batman.But I agree he can be fun to fight against if he isn't rolling around like an idiot.

Seventh Arrow posted:

The game plays this straight too, frequently in predator rooms thugs comment on the shape I leave them in. "He's alive, though he probably will never walk again..." Most of them aren't even the hardened criminals that were AC. When Arkham prisoners escape a thug comments on how the escapee's were murderers and rapists, implying those thugs talking were probably just drug dealers or something. Then I swooped in and crushed them.

Batman is pretty hypocritical with his rule against killing. Especially considering anyone he beat up outside is probably dead. Being knocked out and severely injured doesn't help you resit hypothermia, and even if some thug cared enough to call an ambulance, none could come due to the storm.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Criminals are just a cowardly lot imho and exaggerate like hell.

"Oh GOD, he's been maimed! I haven't seen wounds like this since the sante prisca prison murders!"
*Thug is hanging off a gargoyle in perfect health*

"This Batman... he's a beast! He's completely savaged this man!"
*Thug was put in a sleeper hold, is quietly napping with a thumb in his mouth*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A couple of the thugs who escape from Blackgate have some neat contrasting scenes when you track them down. One of them is all happy and eager to be back in the game and wants to hang out with former buddies, who are all telling him to gently caress off and keep away from them because they know Batman's likely to show up at any point to beat him up and haul him back to prison and they don't want to be collateral damage. Another prisoner by contrast is moaning to his friends about what an idiot he is for breaking out, since he was close to release anyway and it's a guarantee he'll be recaptured sooner or later and end up back in prison for a longer term.

Then there's this guy... :allears:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Then there's this guy... :allears:

In Arkham City, one of the thugs went "Nananana nananana Batman!" as he was charging towards me.

That's when I knew it was the greatest game that will ever exist.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I still like the conversation you get when you go to the church at the very beginning of the game in Arkham City. You are supposed to grapple up after dropping a smoke, but if you wait a while, the goons start having a debate about what to do before they finally eventually shoot you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUPe7wmaCBo

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Batman's response is pretty good, too. Just the most disgusted, offended "No-o-o-o-o."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Something I was tossing around in my head about why Arkham Origin's felt different than AA, and AC. I guess, if this makes any sense, it feels like AA/AC was a BTAS game, and AO was more Nolan game.

Not just due to the voice cast. THe feel of it. The crazy poo poo that happened in AA/AC feels cartoonishs, and like a darker version of DCAU episodes. Ra's showing up, Hugo Strange doing mind control, Solomon Grundy ETC feel very DCAU.

AO however, with the theme of police corruption, Batman starting off on his crusade, and with the exception of firefly and the hotel ballroom really, seemed relatively more grounded and Nolan-esque if that makes any sense?

If not, please ignore my rambling.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

HenessyHero posted:

Criminals are just a cowardly lot imho and exaggerate like hell.

"Oh GOD, he's been maimed! I haven't seen wounds like this since the sante prisca prison murders!"
*Thug is hanging off a gargoyle in perfect health*

"This Batman... he's a beast! He's completely savaged this man!"
*Thug was put in a sleeper hold, is quietly napping with a thumb in his mouth*

That kind of reminds of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byycwl8qgc

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Since this has become a catch-all Batman thread of sorts, it was announced today that the upcoming TV series Gotham will not, as previously thought, be an origin story of James Gordon but will be an origin story for young Bruce Wayne - beginning with Bruce as a young man and ending just prior to his becoming Batman, according to FOX's Chairman of Entertainment Kevin Reilly:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01...b5745fb53000044

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Since this has become a catch-all Batman thread of sorts, it was announced today that the upcoming TV series Gotham will not, as previously thought, be an origin story of James Gordon but will be an origin story for young Bruce Wayne - beginning with Bruce as a young man and ending just prior to his becoming Batman, according to FOX's Chairman of Entertainment Kevin Reilly:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01...b5745fb53000044

So, Smallville basically instead of Gotham Central.

Anyone else dreading this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm hoping they play it up like Gotham Central for the first two or three years of the show - feature Bruce only sparsely - and then include him more in the subsequent seasons. Arrow proved that I'm basically a whore for DC live action TV, so I have my hopes up.

• Locked thread