Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Sindai posted:

Maybe it was the chef, since he asked him to turn the lights on while standing just a few steps from the light switch himself. :raise:

People are incredibly lazy about things like the lights, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

Dirk the Average posted:

People are incredibly lazy about things like the lights, however.

If you wanna guarantee someone turns the lights back on you can always turn off the main breaker on the APC and leave it unlocked.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Too bad your bombing spree was cut short, I liked your quick and decisive strikes at the engine, AI, and most of the windows. Though if only you spent your first 10 minutes mining, would you have been able to sunder the station entirely. And get the super bomb armour of course!

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
I've had this uploaded for a bit but wasn't getting around to posting it here, sorry guys:

:siren: Bonus 4: Just blow it all up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXGsigQ1ZZg :siren:

This is a bonus mainly because I spend more time ghosting then alive, but I am a traitor so I thought you guys might enjoy it. There probably won't be a regular update until mid to late next week. Life's been busy.

Edit:

quote:

Too bad your bombing spree was cut short, I liked your quick and decisive strikes at the engine, AI, and most of the windows. Though if only you spent your first 10 minutes mining, would you have been able to sunder the station entirely. And get the super bomb armour of course!

Yeah but who wants to actually do MINING, ewww, gross. Although next time I am going to seriously consider that. Maybe steal some boxes too, boxes are great for holding a goddamn ton of charges.

Razage fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 11, 2014

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
:psyduck: The AI is that easy to get to as a traitor miner? I had a round as a Syndicate miner where I had to retrieve a neural something-or-other from the AI. Seeing how much trouble you have to go through to actually get its brain, I'm sort of glad I didn't try and decided to blow stuff up.

I also didn't even think to have all my charges in my containers and then hack them. I was doing it one by one by hand. When the belt filled up, instead of just saying the container was full, the chatlog said that I stuck a charge onto the belt. The results were predictable.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Getting the AI's Neural Net processor is one of the hardest objectives you can get dealt. Effectively the only way to handle it is to go in slinging bombs and hope you get what you need and get out before the station security can respond. The AI's ability to throw down blast doors to defend itself is a serious problem for you.

Of course, traitor miners having the sort of access to bombs that they do, it's easier for them by far.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Belts are actually better than boxes for holding hacked mining charges. Since you need a jetpack, in order to carry any appreciable amount of bombs you'll need to hold your backpack. You can't remove something from a container inside another container, so you have to drop the backpack to get the charges out. Manufacture yourself a seventh mining belt, stick six inside the backpack, and wear the seventh. Fill them all with hacked charges. Now when one belt empties, you can take it off, stick it inside the backpack, pull a fresh one out and put it on. You've got access to 49 charges without having to drop anything.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Coolguye posted:

Getting the AI's Neural Net processor is one of the hardest objectives you can get dealt. Effectively the only way to handle it is to go in slinging bombs and hope you get what you need and get out before the station security can respond. The AI's ability to throw down blast doors to defend itself is a serious problem for you.

Of course, traitor miners having the sort of access to bombs that they do, it's easier for them by far.

I often wonder if the solution to stealing the ai is simply to cut the power to the ai somehow and waiting for everything in the ai chamber to shut down. No one has ever tried that.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The AI has an internal battery of 7500 units which takes a long time to actually deplete, during which anybody could come and turn things back on (or just move the AI somewhere else).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah, power starvation is a sucker's game to kill the AI. The best non-explody way to do it would be to killswitch the AI, then wait 10 minutes for the heat to go off, go take a nap in the nearby electrical substation or whatever. After people have gotten used to the fact that the AI's dead, walk into the now ghostly quiet upload, force your way in, and take the AI's neural net.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Yeah, power starvation is a sucker's game to kill the AI. The best non-explody way to do it would be to killswitch the AI, then wait 10 minutes for the heat to go off, go take a nap in the nearby electrical substation or whatever. After people have gotten used to the fact that the AI's dead, walk into the now ghostly quiet upload, force your way in, and take the AI's neural net.

I think killswitching the AI blows up the core, just like killswitching a cyborg, so that you can't use it to get the neural net.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

I think killswitching the AI blows up the core, just like killswitching a cyborg, so that you can't use it to get the neural net.

I think you can still pull the neural net out of a wrecked AI mainframe, but I honestly don't remember. I'm attacked so rarely as the AI.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You can killswitch the AI? How? I thought you could only upload a suicide law or attack the core directly.

Also, there's always social engineering: offer to take the AI to the bar for a party and a chill AI player might let you in even if you don't have access. It's worked on me before because few traitors are that bold. :v:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 11, 2014

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Sindai posted:

You can killswitch the AI? How? I thought you could only upload a suicide law or attack the core directly.

Also, there's always social engineering: offer to take the AI to the bar for a party and a chill AI player might let you in even if you don't have access. It's worked on me before because few traitors are that bold. :v:

The AI killswitch was added quite recently, as a result of people finding suicide laws to be unfun and metagamey.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,

Captain Bravo posted:

Belts are actually better than boxes for holding hacked mining charges. Since you need a jetpack, in order to carry any appreciable amount of bombs you'll need to hold your backpack. You can't remove something from a container inside another container, so you have to drop the backpack to get the charges out. Manufacture yourself a seventh mining belt, stick six inside the backpack, and wear the seventh. Fill them all with hacked charges. Now when one belt empties, you can take it off, stick it inside the backpack, pull a fresh one out and put it on. You've got access to 49 charges without having to drop anything.

I thought they changed this behavior? I remember reading something about not being able to pack around belts anymore.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ablative posted:

The AI killswitch was added quite recently, as a result of people finding suicide laws to be unfun and metagamey.
Huh, didn't see that in the changelog. Is it done from the same console as the borg killswitches?

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Sindai posted:

Huh, didn't see that in the changelog. Is it done from the same console as the borg killswitches?
Same console, and you also have to swipe your ID (like when killswitching borgs).

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Cant you just upload a law that states the AI has to give his neural thingy?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Razage posted:

I thought they changed this behavior? I remember reading something about not being able to pack around belts anymore.

Did they? I honestly don't know, let me check and get back to you.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Having just completed an entirely too amusing AI round, there is an entertaining interaction between that console and an emag applied to the AI.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Iretep posted:

Cant you just upload a law that states the AI has to give his neural thingy?

I'd be really surprised if the AI can just give up its core; wouldn't it be easier to upload a law where it doesn't interfere, defend itself, or report what's happening when a specific person's in the AI's chamber?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

tlarn posted:

I'd be really surprised if the AI can just give up its core; wouldn't it be easier to upload a law where it doesn't interfere, defend itself, or report what's happening when a specific person's in the AI's chamber?

Well the best way I've seen it done is something along the lines of a mindslave law for the AI, followed by sticking the removed core in a borg, and then removing it again for the objective at round end.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
That is the cool way of doing it, yeah. Sadly, too many boring people just CaptainLaw themselves, force the AI to suicide, and then get killed and noone restores the AI / bumble around for 50 minutes not knowing how to call the shuttle.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

That is the cool way of doing it, yeah. Sadly, too many boring people just CaptainLaw themselves, force the AI to suicide, and then get killed and noone restores the AI / bumble around for 50 minutes not knowing how to call the shuttle.

The way I do it is to upload a OneHuman law, followed by a freeform law basically stating that orders given by humans may override the standard laws if they do so explicitly.

Then I get up to whatever crime I feel like and when the shuttle is due to arrive I just stroll into the upload, order the AI to shut off all core turrets, keep the blast shields open and allow me to retrieve the NNP and specify the order overrides law three.
Then the AI gets to rogue it up during the entire round, I still have a reliable eye in the sky and the AI doesn't have to be dead for long, or at all, if I gently caress up criming.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(
My fatal error, forever preserved in the annals of Youtube :(

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
How did the HoS know you were a traitor? Were you the only miner? If not, you could have been any miner making explosives.

Also how did he use them on you? It said something about only being useable on asteroids before you hacked them.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Mordecai posted:

How did the HoS know you were a traitor? Were you the only miner? If not, you could have been any miner making explosives.

Also how did he use them on you? It said something about only being useable on asteroids before you hacked them.

I think he walked right next to the AI with his ID out. The AI probably saw his name and reported through PDA to the HoS before it died.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mordecai posted:

The HoS stole his backpack which had the hacking device in it. This also explains how he knew he was a traitor.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

uPen posted:

The HoS stole his backpack which had the hacking device in it. This also explains how he knew he was a traitor.

Also the fact that the HoS was the space walking guy he passed right by while leaving the station level in the mining pod. So all HoS had to do was follow the pod to mining to catch his man.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
It's been a while, life has been busy lately.

:siren: Update :siren:

Episode 16: Bomb Carts

No subtitles this time, and I cut the round short as nothing was going on after a while and I wanted to sleep so kind of a lame episode. I'll get a more action packed one up soonish.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Woo! New episode!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
So, uh? What the hell happened there at the end? :psyduck:

Gwrrrk
Jun 27, 2013

Cathulhu posted:

So, uh? What the hell happened there at the end? :psyduck:

The round was going pretty slow so he farted on the Bible, which caused him to then explode.

I don't know what the confusion is.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Gwrrrk posted:

The round was going pretty slow so he farted on the Bible, which caused him to then explode.

I don't know what the confusion is.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know about that particularity.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Ablative posted:

You'd be surprised how many people don't know about that particularity.

There's even a couple chemicals that cause farting! You could cuff someone to a chair with a bible on it, and simply wait...

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Detective: "The only thing that can save this man now is a dose of Simethicone. Where is the Chemistry department?"

AI: "Oh, scattered across space somewhere, in pieces, probably still on fire."

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Kayle7 posted:

There's even a couple chemicals that cause farting! You could cuff someone to a chair with a bible on it, and simply wait...

TheDarkFlame posted:

Detective: "The only thing that can save this man now is a dose of Simethicone. Where is the Chemistry department?"

AI: "Oh, scattered across space somewhere, in pieces, probably still on fire."

Now I really want to set up a series of conveyor belts that lead towards a bible, tie someone to the belts, dose them with that chemical, and then laugh maniacally and twirl my mustache victoriously!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Glad to see Razage paying more attention to the chat, aside from the "Why are we going to medbay?" moment. :) In SS13-related stuff, I watched the Futurama episode 'Murder on the Planet Express' last night, and from 6:20 onwards made for a pretty good example of how changeling rounds work in this game.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Glad to see Razage paying more attention to the chat, aside from the "Why are we going to medbay?" moment. :) In SS13-related stuff, I watched the Futurama episode 'Murder on the Planet Express' last night, and from 6:20 onwards made for a pretty good example of how changeling rounds work in this game.

Especially the part when they murder the completely innocent guy at the end, with lasers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Finally caught up to this.

I do wonder if you're going to top the changeling round. That was some amazing drama with the syndicate agent and your subsequent escape from the morgue and conversion of the one person who came after you alone, you showed off a cool changeling trick (being lovely Bill), and you actually completed your objectives.

• Locked thread