Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Edible Hat posted:

Does the right-wing response to the NYT article amount to anything besides "nuh uh." Do they have a competing report/study/article to point to that contradicts what The Times is saying? It seems like if they want the "truth" about Benghazi, they would appreciate the in depth reporting provided by that article.

"They reached conclusions I did not like, therefore liberal bias."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Edible Hat posted:

Does the right-wing response to the NYT article amount to anything besides "nuh uh"? Do they have a competing report/study/article to point to that contradicts what The Times is saying? It seems like if they want the "truth" about Benghazi, they would appreciate the in depth reporting provided by that article.

They still want the truth about Benghazi, it's just that they've already decided what the truth is and no amount of counter-evidence can prove otherwise.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is that thing Kim is saying a reference to something?

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think Kim killed his uncle on the pretext that he didn't clap sincerely enough upon Kim's assumption of power.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

euphronius posted:

How is Bengahzi Terrorism. Were civilians targeted? Honestly asking.

Well according to the NYT article it was both an organized attack on the consulate, and it had spontaneous elements which included people reacting to word-of-mouth description of the video. The organized attack may not have been planned for 9/11 but was apparently launched because of the chaos which was spurned by reaction to said video.

In terms of, "How is it terrorism?": acts of terror do not necessarily have to be directed against civilians. There were military personnel at the consulate but also the consular staff, and the people who were attacking did not necessarily know who exactly was inside. What they knew is that what they were attacking was a small patch of US soil and that there would be unarmed Americans inside. So it is an act of terrorism in the fact that they are making good on threat to attack Americans abroad and therefor putting in question the safety of both citizens and government personnel in other countries which are not by definition, "stable".

So, it's not an either/or kind of thing. It can be both an act of terror and a spontaneous and violent reaction by the civilian populace to a piece of anti-Muslim propaganda; they are not mutually exclusive. The NYT article states that the attack itself was initiated by organized militant forces which our country labels at "terrorist", however the subsequent storming, burning, and looting of the consulate was perpetrated mainly by civilians who believed it was a riot of sorts, or simply were too angry to care exactly why it was happening and took part in the violence.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Nyarai posted:

Got beaten to the comic, so here's the accompanying post.

Man, Kirschen is such a shithead. Yeah, how could the evil international media manage to twist a story about Israeli doctors sterilizing African refugees without proper consent into Israel being the bad guys? It boggles the loving mind.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Concluding from the IRS story that Obama used the power of his office to punish his enemies would be silly. AGC.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Biden, what's wrong with your eyes...stop stealing my soul :aaaaa:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Internet Webguy posted:

It takes a special kind of stupid to assume climate scientists don't believe in snow.

That's the seventh identical cartoon about that ship, over the course of two weeks. That's one every two days for a fortnight.

Who runs If Global Warming Is Real Then Why Is It Cold? When this thing is over and there's no more cartoons about it I'm going to stitch them all together into an animated gif, although it's still pretty obvious there already.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Rodman fouis out.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Abyssal Squid posted:

Who runs If Global Warming Is Real Then Why Is It Cold? When this thing is over and there's no more cartoons about it I'm going to stitch them all together into an animated gif, although it's still pretty obvious there already.

Has Ramirez done a cartoon about this? I'd would have thought he'd shout in delight to be able to make a cartoon with a legitimate reason to lovingly draw a boat and not just, you know, make a cartoon that has nothing to do with boats but has a giant boat with "debt" written on it.

Although, it is a Climate Change boat, the most Islam-fasco-communist type of boat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Exclamation Marx posted:

The SVUs are the worst policemen, it rules.

:byewhore:

He's been dead since 2006 :colbert:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Drawing a Jew going to hell is like drawing Jobs going to Heaven.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Actually the afterlife is somewhat deliberately never discussed in detail so there could be a Hell, or reincarnation, or nothing. The emphasis is to lead a good and fulfilling life now, and to avoid people trying to game the system by not revealing the rules.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Slate Action posted:

Biden, what's wrong with your eyes...stop stealing my soul :aaaaa:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Actually the comic could be super accurate for (at least many) views of it if we're supposed to think the weights will be keeping him in Gehinnom for a very long time? Though that'd end in him going to heaven when he's free of them and I doubt Latuff would be a fan of that ending for him.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

He's been dead since 2006 :colbert:
Is there any particular reason that he died now, when he's been in a coma for so long? Did they decide to pull the plug now for some reason?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there any particular reason that he died now, when he's been in a coma for so long? Did they decide to pull the plug now for some reason?

He apparently had renal failure on the 1st and died earlier today.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Samurai Sanders posted:

Renal failure. Being in a coma can be pretty hard on bodies, especially old, already sick ones.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Internet Webguy posted:

It takes a special kind of stupid to assume climate scientists don't believe in snow.

Obama harbors an extreme personal grudge against every registered Republican.

I'm getting real sick of people deciding the best way to help demonize Rodman is to bring up the guy wearing a dress. Dude's hanging out with a loving dictator who just had his uncle executed, but hey, we better remind people he did something vaguely queer once just to make sure people really understand how bad he is.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Cabbit posted:

I'm getting real sick of people deciding the best way to help demonize Rodman is to bring up the guy wearing a dress. Dude's hanging out with a loving dictator who just had his uncle executed, but hey, we better remind people he did something vaguely queer once just to make sure people really understand how bad he is.

It's institutional homo-bashing rather than overt: the point is how DASGC Rodman is, not 'he gay'

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Cabbit posted:

I thought it was a Marilyn Monroe thing but I might be wrong.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nckdictator posted:

I thought it was a Marilyn Monroe thing but I might be wrong.

Yeah it's a reference to Marilyn Monroe's Happy Birthday Mr President + the fact that Rodman wore a dress once. To be quite honest that's the first thing that popped in my mind when I saw the video. :shobon:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I don't know what world you live in when you think the media wasn't fully consumed with NSA spying and the IRS thing from about April to June. And it still gets brought up from time to time.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

They're harping on the Youtube video thing again to say that Obama was lying about who was behind the attack. It must have been in some talking point e-mail or something recently because that's what all of the people in the comments are saying.
And am I the only one who remembers the couple of days of "OBAMA APOLOGIZIN' FER ARE FREEDUMS!!" after a consulate employee issued a condemnation of the contents of the movie?

I mean am I crazy here? The people on the ground thought the trouble brewing was over a video, the attack happened so the very first statement released said the trouble was brewing over a video, this turned out to be wrong (??) so it's a HUGE SCANDAL!!!!! because

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

It's hard to Obamacare for a conservative brony.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 7 years!)

Hey Goonzies! Owing to my shadowy connections in the entertainment world, I am in the position of helping to judge who should win a prestigious award for editorial cartooning for the year just past, and the field is still wide open!

If anyone would like to post a favorite editorial cartoon that ran in 2013, I will consider submitting it to the relevant parties. Please include who the cartoonist is (the signature may not be clear), and where it ran, if you know. This award is also for particular cartoons, not necessarily the cartoonist themselves.

And, if you decide to participate, please remember that you should make your picks based on the cartoon's quality, not its ironic, eye-rolling shittiness. Please no Muirs.

Thanks for your help!

UPDATE: Started a thread to collect the nominees: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602175

Death Ray fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 12, 2014

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I haven't heard Clustercare but it must be a registered trademark. I don't remember Jeopardy having any wheels or clicking sounds. Either that is the joke, which doesn't make sense at all, or Muir doesn't know what Jeopardy is. Analog rotary selector could have been a roulette wheel or a dartboard but no.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Death Ray posted:

Thanks for your help!

JRROSE

You are welcome.

Seriously, this is the most memorable one, and the one that made me laugh the most.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

CampingCarl posted:

I haven't heard Clustercare but it must be a registered trademark. I don't remember Jeopardy having any wheels or clicking sounds. Either that is the joke, which doesn't make sense at all, or Muir doesn't know what Jeopardy is. Analog rotary selector could have been a roulette wheel or a dartboard but no.
Nah it's just "Abloo Obamacare putting America in jeopardy". Muir pulls one-liners like this all the time.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Death Ray posted:

Hey Goonzies! Owing to my shadowy connections in the entertainment world, I am in the position of helping to judge who should win a prestigious award for editorial cartooning for the year just past, and the field is still wide open!

If anyone would like to post a favorite editorial cartoon that ran in 2013, I will consider submitting it to the relevant parties. Please include who the cartoonist is (the signature may not be clear), and where it ran, if you know. This award is also for particular cartoons, not necessarily the cartoonist themselves.

And, if you decide to participate, please remember that you should make your picks based on the cartoon's quality, not its ironic, eye-rolling shittiness. Please no Muirs.

Thanks for your help!

Black Gay Santa

Paul Berge

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Death Ray posted:

My three favorites were all Bennetts:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I feel like any kind of joke I could make response to this is just going to be a "trap sprung" moment for me

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Muir and bronies.

Fill the flesh tanks, check the gore gauge, ready the bone crank

and OPEN THE BLOOD GATES :unsmigghh:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

:thurman:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Death Ray posted:

Thanks for your help!

From March 2013

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Yesssssssss

Yesssssss

OPEN THE BLOOD GATES

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Death Ray posted:

Thanks for your help!

Is taking a prize away from Ramirez an option? Because if so I vote for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A spitting image.

Seriously, how can an editor look at this and say "Yup, we're paying for this." without feeling utterly incompetent at their job?

• Locked thread