Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

parid posted:

I'm considering a trip to Le Mans this year. I have no idea what tickets to get. They feel like a bargain compared to F1 last year. Is the front straight worth it? I imagine covered grand stands would be nice when it starts raining. What the best way to spend the night? Camping? I'm flying in so I can't really bring gear.

I'd look for a full service catered campsite - something like the ones RLM do: http://www.lemansrace.com/rlm-travel-club/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
I need new tires:

I keep looking and asking around about tires that will survive on track and have >=200UTQG treadwear. So far, I just keep getting "blah is great for AutoX! Get those!" while neglecting that "blah" greases up like bacon when they get some track heat in them.

Currently, I am asking Tire Rack if they have the 255/35/18 RS-3 in the new 200UTQG. Next option may be to call up Summit Racing and see if they have the new 255/35/18 NT05 size (came out 1/1/2014).

Also, looking for 255/35/18 size because I am picky.

nollij fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 11, 2014

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Why do you need >=200? With 180 you can do Advan Neova AD08R or Michelin Pilot Sport Cups which are pretty much the best streetable track tires you can get.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Get Rivals or :getout:.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Dunlop ZIIs? The Star Specs were solid track tires.

But seriously, why aren't you getting RS3s or Rivals?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
RS3s. Get RS3s.

edit:// \/\/ :argh:

the poi fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 11, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

the poi posted:

Rivals. Get Rivals.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Octopus Magic posted:

Why do you need >=200? With 180 you can do Advan Neova AD08R or Michelin Pilot Sport Cups which are pretty much the best streetable track tires you can get.

Those tires were great 5 years ago but now they suck.

He wants RS3s.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

You guys and your fancy wheels. I'll find out if Pilot Super Sports are any better than P-Zeros tomorrow.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, Super Sports. They were on my s2000 when I bought it, and they were not communicative at all, and when they got to their limit, they just immediately gave up. Not like RS3s. Mmmmmm, RS3s.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
200 UTQG because:

2014 SCCA Solo ST classes: 140 UTQG
2015 SCCA Solo ST classes: 200 UTQG
Global Time Attack: 140 UTQG
Redline Time Attack: 140 UTQG
Ultimate Street Car Association: 200 UTQG
Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational: 200 UTQG
NASA demarcates groups of tires between 50-130 and 120-200 UTQG for tire points
Are You Faster Than a Redneck (TV Show): 200 UTQG
Good Guys Autocross: 200 UTQG

I want to participate in the USCA this year. Otherwise I would get the AD08R and call it a day.

I've read Rivals grease up on track worse than Dunlop ZIIs.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

nollij posted:

I've read Rivals grease up on track worse than Dunlop ZIIs.

They both grease up more than RS3s. I've heard the same thing about Rivals though, they get greasy reeeealy fast.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I'm on my second set of RS3's (God's own size: 225/45-15) and they are awesome. I like them at least as well as the Kuhmo Ecsta R-comps or the NT01 R-comps I used to have.

It's a track car I occasionally drive on the street and now I only need one set of tires.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
Well hopefully Neal at Tire Rack gets back to me on Monday and goes "Hell yea we have that size in 200UTQG" and then doesn't gently caress up and send me 140 UTQG.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

What car and what time attack plans? I'm pretty familiar with rta and gta.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Buy RS3s they are a great tire. I managed to get 3 track days (3+ hours of track time at Gingerman/Gratten/USAIR), 6 autoxs and 9,000 miles of driving with my STi on a set of RS3s this past year.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

jamal posted:

What car and what time attack plans? I'm pretty familiar with rta and gta.

Evo

USCA/Street Tire AutoX/HPDE on street tires. These tires would also serve as wet tires when I finish getting the DOT slick setup done (tire trailer, etc.) which I probably won't get around to until the end of the year considering my states ridiculous requirements for trailers.

GTA/RTA maybe 2015. I know another local that wants to run them this year (after totaling their car last year) and I just need to maybe put whispers into their ear to get a double car trailer along with it because driving 10 hours sounds pretty lovely.

nollij fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 11, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cool. Well, I worked on evos and time attack cars for a couple years so if you need any help let me know. email is peter at functionauto.com

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

the poi posted:

They both grease up more than RS3s. I've heard the same thing about Rivals though, they get greasy reeeealy fast.
ZII and Rivals really like it cold. I wouldn't say they get greasy, but ZII clearly has the best sweet spot "warm" and grip drops off a few tenths when it gets hot- both ZII and Rival are considered to be pretty decent track tires, especially for time trials when you have time to let them cool between runs, but definitely more geared towards autocross. RS3 is more formulated for hot temps; they need some heat in them to work properly but generally hold up to the heat better.

Any of the three would be fine for mixed use; the decision points going to be climate, car, and what you prioritize. You'd likely want a different tire in Arizona, say, than Seattle.

grover fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 11, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

grover posted:

ZII and Rivals really like it cold. I wouldn't say they get greasy, but ZII clearly has the best sweet spot "warm" and grip drops off a few tenths when it gets hot- both ZII and Rival are considered to be pretty decent track tires, especially for time trials when you have time to let them cool between runs, but definitely more geared towards autocross. RS3 is more formulated for hot temps; they need some heat in them to work properly but generally hold up to the heat better.

Any of the three would be fine for mixed use; the decision points going to be climate, car, and what you prioritize. You'd likely want a different tire in Arizona, say, than Seattle.

Is the RS3 the best current street tire for dealing with heat? Tracking a 3400 wagon in California is an interesting tire challenge.

nm fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 12, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
AFAIK, the R-S3s are good, but the Rivals are better on a lighter car. My main complaints about the R-S3s is that they're pretty quiet and terrible under braking whereas the Rivals act more like an NT-01.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phone posted:

AFAIK, the R-S3s are good, but the Rivals are better on a lighter car. My main complaints about the R-S3s is that they're pretty quiet and terrible under braking whereas the Rivals act more like an NT-01.

I'm getting rivals for the Mazda when they come back into stock, but the Legacy needs tires ASAP. The last tire I think I was happy with on the legacy on teh track was the RE-01Rs. My current tires are worn out Starspecs which neither had the sidewall nor the heat tolerance I wanted.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

nm posted:

Is the RS3 the best current street tire for dealing with heat? Tracking a 3400 wagon in California is an interesting tire challenge.

Dunlops and BFGs are poo poo with heat. They work for AutoX but everything I have read indicates they can't handle track type temperatures.

The tires that supposedly can handle track temps:
RS-3s
AD08s (ran these last year, greased up only a few times when I was pushing the tires inefficiently; not 200 UTQG)
NT05s
RE-11s (successors of RE-01s.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

nm posted:

I'm getting rivals for the Mazda when they come back into stock, but the Legacy needs tires ASAP. The last tire I think I was happy with on the legacy on teh track was the RE-01Rs. My current tires are worn out Starspecs which neither had the sidewall nor the heat tolerance I wanted.
Yes, but RS3 have weak sidewalls compared to the other top tires, and you can still cook them on the track. Heavy cars tend towards ZII or Rivals for autocross.

grover fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 12, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

grover posted:

For autocross, yes, but RS3 have weak sidewalls compared to the other top tires; heavy cars tend towards ZII or Rivals for autocross.

I need sidewalls, but not greasy. How are the RE-11A sidewalls?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Just want to say, as someone probably getting new tires for a non-DD track/street car this year, I'm really getting a lot from this conversation.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

nm posted:

I need sidewalls, but not greasy. How are the RE-11A sidewalls?

I'm not too sure about what changed from the 11 to 11A's, but the 11's have a really stiff sidewall compared to starspec's or even proxie r1r's. If you're tracking them, they run great once heat cycled, if autox, they've got average at best cold grip, but they communicate very well.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm going 225/45 RS3's on a 15x9 wheel - it winds up being a tiny bit of stretch, and coupled with a lightweight car it stiffens up the sidewall.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are you just doing autocross or are you going to do DEs as well?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Autocross is where I'm actually competitive, and I'm going to do as many lapping days as I can afford this year though. I did two last year (first time on an actual race track!) and will hopefully do 3-5 this year as funds allow.

RS3's seem to shine around here. I may go back to rivals for 2015 depending on what I find. I couldn't really hear the rivals on track over the wind noise, but that's probably a combination of baby's first track day + not pushing hard enough.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Re: overheating RS3s--I only managed to get my RS3s greasy by getting lazy at the end of the day at Cal Speedway (high speed oval+infield) and overdriving the poo poo out of the tires, in 90*F heat. Car weighs 2850 with fuel and driver. No idea what happens on a heavier car though!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have the R-S3s on my Miata now (225/45R15 on a 15x9 wheel, 2200lbs) and they're a good tire. I don't like how they are under braking and when you start to get towards the edge of traction, they just let go and congrats now you're sliding. I'm running 225/45R15 Rivals this year. Car should weigh about the same.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

So my first track day on the Pilot SS was OK. Compared to the Pirelli P-Zero, I think they have stiffer sidewalls because they seemed more responsive at turn in and holding the turn. That kind of screwed me up because I'm used to really leaning into the turn and cranking the wheel to get the Pirellis to go where I want, I kept mistaking the responsiveness for oversteer and backing off too much in slow corners.

Oh I also went 20mm wider with this set so that also explains some of the difference in feel.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 13, 2014

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Related to this tire talk, I need a tire pressure gauge. Something with a valve to lower pressure. What do you guys use/recommend.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=228&catid=8

Works well enough for me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I just use the inflator for my compressor. Has an accurate gauge and will release pressure. I think I bought it at HF.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

Related to this tire talk, I need a tire pressure gauge. Something with a valve to lower pressure. What do you guys use/recommend.

I have one of these, I'm pretty happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00404WDUC/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are any of you using RaceChrono with an old android phone? I'm wondering what phone I should pick up to do this as cheaply as possible.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

emoltra posted:

I have one of these, I'm pretty happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00404WDUC/

Amazon prime wins. Thanks.

I'm also in the tire market. I'm looking to get a set just for the track, not street. My car is an IS350, so a little on the heavy side. I'm considering the R-S3's now that people have been talking about it here, or the considerably less expensive Bridgestone S-04. Would one be better than the other for a car that isn't so lightweight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

TrueChaos posted:

I'm going 225/45 RS3's on a 15x9 wheel - it winds up being a tiny bit of stretch, and coupled with a lightweight car it stiffens up the sidewall.

I'm running that size on my E30 with a 15x8 wheel. It fits perfectly. I'm sure the 15x9 would work well too.