Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
And if they skipped one fight they would probably skip another and no one wants that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

How? That monkey was Polnereff's partner.

No, that was just in the newer OAV.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah if the Sun is skipped we won't hear Jotaro laughing. Added on it's a 5 minute fight.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
I really do hope this show goes over well with everyone, even newer jojo fans because I want to see the rest of the parts adapted.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ADullMin posted:

I really do hope this show goes over well with everyone, even newer jojo fans because I want to see the rest of the parts adapted.

From what I understand, the last part did reasonably well, and this is an adaptation of a cultural touchstone so there's some guaranteed new viewers and old viewers, and no reason why future parts wouldn't be marketable if this succeeds. Still, fingers crossed.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Perigryn posted:

I think they could do it in 39-40 eps at the most. Some fights need more time like Jotaro slowly wearing D'Arby down until he cracks.

That could just be one half of the episode. That part didn't last that long even in the 90s OVA and it was amazing. A lot of the fights in general move a lot faster once you realize most of the time taken up during them are just mind games. I think the only fights in Part 3 that are super long are like Vanilla Ice and Dio. There are some other ones that are pretty lengthy, but if you dedicate a whole episode or so to them it shouldn't be unmanageable, I trust David Productions enough though to know what to do here and there.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah if the Sun is skipped we won't hear Jotaro laughing. Added on it's a 5 minute fight.

It's not even 5 minutes. There are two chapters to it and most of it just them reacting to the situation, it would be about maybe 3 minutes if we're being generous. It would be enough time for a segment of the show that leads into the opening.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dudermcbrohan posted:

The sun's "important" for joseph's OH MY GOD! and jotaro's, polnareff's, and kakyoin's laughs. Other than that it's pretty filler.

So basically the most important part of Stardust Crusaders.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
I'm pretty sure Stardust Crusaders can and will cut corners, but I wouldn't hate it for doing so. It's mostly consisted of fights, so it can afford to leave out some minor details as long as they reach Dio.

I kinda hope they animate Diamond is Unbreakable. I personally feel this arc was stronger than its predecessor. However, it's probably the harder one to do so, since it's a mystery arc, and it has so little corners to cut, as even the most insignificant characters actually gives clues to its narrative.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Sure, part 3 is full of fights, so what?

Even ignoring the ones that are directly important to the plot, they all have some sort of memorable moment in them that adds to the overall feeling of part 3. It's not pointless stuff like what they cut for the previous series.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If they do Part 4, they are legitimately going to need more than 26 episodes, that is a long story arc.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'd rather they just do everything instead of taking things out, because I want to see as much as Beautiful Duwang as possible. I really liked part 4, even if its side characters weren't as developed as 3's, I really liked all the dumb poo poo that happened, and Kira was a great villian.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Momomo posted:

I really liked part 4, even if its side characters weren't as developed as 3's, I really liked all the dumb poo poo that happened, and Kira was a great villian.

I felt Part 3 had weak development for side characters, simply because Jotaro and Dio Dwarfed everyone else. For most parts, Jotaro was the one who dealt with most threats, and in the final battle, he was the only one who could deal any damage to Dio. The whole arc could be described as Jotaro's journey to defeat Dio.

Compared to that, Part 4's main character, Josuke, isn't as significant to the plot. Even his stand power, Putting stuff back together, is most efficient when he has allies with him. Part 4 doesn't focus on Josuke, but rather the whole community of Stand users in the village. Each side character gets their own arc to face challenges and develop as characters, and in many of them, Josuke doesn't even show up in these arcs. Even the main villain is developed as a character. In fact, I'd say the art is actually about Kira's journey to defeat Moriocho's Stand Users.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ArcadePark posted:

I felt Part 3 had weak development for side characters, simply because Jotaro and Dio Dwarfed everyone else. For most parts, Jotaro was the one who dealt with most threats, and in the final battle, he was the only one who could deal any damage to Dio. The whole arc could be described as Jotaro's journey to defeat Dio.

Polnareff got huge amounts of screen time, at least, second to Jotaro among the heroes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The side characters in Part 3 I felt were all very well developed, with the possible exception of Iggy? Polnareff's got a ton of great little character quirks that add to not only how fun he is, but how rad his stand is. Kakyoin is a smart dude, but also has weird little habits like rolling cherries in his mouth and a penchant for dramatic flair. Avdol is also surprisingly silly despite his serious demeanor, the dude literally pisses into a bamboo pipe and laughs while doing this. Joseph is of course an older version of himself, right down to being a goofy grandfather. All of the characters are pretty well defined and have fun relationships with each others, it's actually the best group dynamic in the series up until Part 6 happens.

Some of the villains even have a bit of subtleties to them too like Hol Horse, who is a massive coward, but is savvy enough to recognize he's a bit player in the grand scheme of things and is comfortable with that. Part 3 has a lot of neat little things going on with it's side characters that make more fun at a second glance.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

The biggest problem I feel with Part 3 isn't the fact that the characters are not quirky or enjoyable. It's the fact that the arc never takes it anywhere interesting with them. I know the arc is supposed to be about fights, but Part 3 could have made them more interesting if the side characters had a chance to do anything instead of Jotaro solving everything.

I think the author realized this potential later on, as Iggy vs Pet Shop was when the development started. The Vanilla Ice fight was the only moment I found Polneraff to shine.

But then again, Part 3 is about Jotaro. That's why the final showdown was Jotaro vs Dio, not Jotaro's gang vs Dio. Joseph and Kakyoin was just there to show the stakes like DBZ characters.

ArcadePark fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 12, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I would barely even call Jotaro the main character of part 3. Yes, he beats Dio and got some fights, but up until then the guy barely talked or did much of anything. Polnareff is the one the story focused on most of the time, and Jotaro felt like he was just along for the ride. Even still, Joseph and Kakyoin and even Abdul got to do more than say, Okayasu. Poor, poor Okayasu.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I wish every Koichi-centric chapter in part 4 could have been about Okuyasu instead.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Ezzer posted:

I wish every Koichi-centric chapter in part 4 could have been about Okuyasu instead.

While I do not disagree since Okuyasu is by far my favorite side guy in part four. I always really loved the way that he was peppered into the story. The gradual learning how to use his stand in smarter ways and his role in the finale is one of the best parts in Diamond are not Crash.

EDIT: Basically I could always have used more of him, but the arc we get on him is very satisfying.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I must have tuned out because I don't remember him using The Hand a single time between his fight with Josuke and the final confrontation with Kira.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

I would barely even call Jotaro the main character of part 3. Yes, he beats Dio and got some fights, but up until then the guy barely talked or did much of anything. Polnareff is the one the story focused on most of the time, and Jotaro felt like he was just along for the ride. Even still, Joseph and Kakyoin and even Abdul got to do more than say, Okayasu. Poor, poor Okayasu.

Jotaro does a lot, what are you talking about? It's not even just punching, he's responsible for a good half of the famous lines and poses in Part 3. Also the story focused on Polnareff for one storyline as it did with certain other characters, after those are over every character just gets fights where they and the villain get to be cool. This is the crux of Part 3 in general in that the Monster of the Week style is made good because of how good the fights are and how the characters react to their enemies.

Momomo posted:

I must have tuned out because I don't remember him using The Hand a single time between his fight with Josuke and the final confrontation with Kira.

Did you just ignore his big fight with Red Hot Chili Pepper?

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Momomo posted:

He used it like once between then and it caused that lightning dude to get away. Really he just kind of fucks up when he used it.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
I wanted more development with Yukako and Koichi because the romance is what I read Jojo for.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Jotaro does a lot, what are you talking about? It's not even just punching, he's responsible for a good half of the famous lines and poses in Part 3. Also the story focused on Polnareff for one storyline as it did with certain other characters, after those are over every character just gets fights where they and the villain get to be cool. This is the crux of Part 3 in general in that the Monster of the Week style is made good because of how good the fights are and how the characters react to their enemies.
Abdul, Kakyoin and Joseph really don't get character arcs in part 3. We learn a little about Abdul's backstory and Kakyoin gets some glasses, but Polnareff goes through a whole thing about finding his sister's killer and then trying to make up for Abdul's (first) death, then his confrontation with Dio after Abdul's (second) death. Jotaro on the other hand is more about a few moments, rather than arc-long stories which isn't a bad thing in a manga like this, but I'd still say Polnaraff was a more important character than him most of the time.

quote:

Did you just ignore his big fight with Red Hot Chili Pepper?

That fight consisted of like one punch and it ended up not even helping. Technically he did use the hand more than I remembered, but a three times in like 20 volumes is pretty much nothing.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Momomo posted:

That fight consisted of like one punch and it ended up not even helping. Technically he did use the hand more than I remembered, but a three times in like 20 volumes is pretty much nothing.

That fight's more complex than you're giving it credit for. Okuyasu shows some creative use of The Hand's secondary teleporting power to keep RHCP where he can hit him despite being far and away slower. He just trips at the last hurdle because he didn't know about the underground power lines. Also, he gets the finishing blow on Akira on Joseph's boat, and I think that's one of his defining character moments.

Okuyasu fades a little into the background from there because his thing was getting revenge on Akira for killing Keicho. Stopping Kira for Reimi was more Koichi and Rohan's thing, and Josuke takes the reigns for getting revenge for Fatty being blown up.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

onepixeljumpman posted:

Also, he gets the finishing blow on Akira on Joseph's boat, and I think that's one of his defining character moments.

That's more of a "broken clock is correct twice a day" thing. It's still one of the best moments because it's so contrary to how most Jojo fights end.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Part 3 doesn't really have character arcs for "the gang," but it isn't the kind of story that does that. It's a globetrotting adventure wrought with adversity; the whole of Stardust Crusaders is their arc. They all share it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

onepixeljumpman posted:

That fight's more complex than you're giving it credit for. Okuyasu shows some creative use of The Hand's secondary teleporting power to keep RHCP where he can hit him despite being far and away slower. He just trips at the last hurdle because he didn't know about the underground power lines. Also, he gets the finishing blow on Akira on Joseph's boat, and I think that's one of his defining character moments.

Okuyasu fades a little into the background from there because his thing was getting revenge on Akira for killing Keicho. Stopping Kira for Reimi was more Koichi and Rohan's thing, and Josuke takes the reigns for getting revenge for Fatty being blown up.
It just felt like there were plenty of times Okuyasu could've been helpful but ended up either not being there, or standing on the sidelines like Speedwagon. He was a cool dude and it was sad to see him and his stand so underused.

scary ghost dog posted:

Part 3 doesn't really have character arcs for "the gang," but it isn't the kind of story that does that. It's a globetrotting adventure wrought with adversity; the whole of Stardust Crusaders is their arc. They all share it.

I'm fine with that, but for a long while it felt like Polnareff got more attention than our so-called main character. Still though as a whole, the cast of Part 3 actually got to do things, wheras in Part 4 the only ones that contributed to actually beating enemies were Josuke, Rohan and Koichi. Even Jotaro, the guy that can stop time, ended up contributing more as backup. Strangely enough, only Josuke got to do much in the end. I figured the way they were having Koichi mature, he'd be really vital to taking Kira down, but it didn't actually happen.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Momomo posted:

I'm fine with that, but for a long while it felt like Polnareff got more attention than our so-called main character. Still though as a whole, the cast of Part 3 actually got to do things, wheras in Part 4 the only ones that contributed to actually beating enemies were Josuke, Rohan and Koichi. Even Jotaro, the guy that can stop time, ended up contributing more as backup. Strangely enough, only Josuke got to do much in the end. I figured the way they were having Koichi mature, he'd be really vital to taking Kira down, but it didn't actually happen.

I don't think Part 4 was about who had the spotlight. Part 4 was about the communal effort of Moriocho Stand Users to bring down a common Evil. Unlike Part 3, where it was mostly about fighting a nigh-indestructible evil and having the strength to do it alone, Part 4 was mostly about the mystery that the community as a whole had to solve. The key point of this arc is that no one should stand alone. Even if characters did not actually fight, their contribution in finding Kira was actually vital to the plot. Even the non-stand user Hayato was a vital part.

The Main characters' stands actually reflect this: Jotaro, for Part 3, had a stand that was just simply powerful. So Powerful it nearly paralleled Dio's stand, and at the end, became near identical to his. His stand did not require any help, but his own willpower. This made Jotaro such a badass and dwarfed any accomplishments his allies made. Josuke's stand, on the other hand, is most useful when having allies. While powerful on its own, Crazy D became an exact counter to Kira's Killer Queen, as he could immediately heal allies as long as they were together. Consequently, Josuke's presence was diminished despite having quite a list of solo kills. However, his best moments are shared with his allies to reinforce the theme of community. Even the way Kira dies shows that it wasn't just one person who brought down this evil; it's the whole community.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Part 4 was a story about a poor guy that just wants to have lunch with his girlfriend and then saves a cat. :colbert:

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Robviously posted:

Part 4 was a story about a poor guy that just wants to have lunch with his girlfriend and then saves a cat. :colbert:

And then dies horribly because no one understands him.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I dunno what Part 4 you guys were reading, but I'm pretty sure Part 4 was a slice of life comedy about chilling with an alien, conning your friend with said alien, finding hundreds of coupons, and eating magical Italian food.

Everything else was just filler.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Part 4 is a great sort of picaresque that slowly narrows in on an 'A' plot while letting poo poo like Achtung Baby or Pearl Jam do their thing and bow out.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The kid in Part 4 is the biggest beast of them all. "Hey that guy may be a bomb, let me just touch him real quick NBD."

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Broseph Brostar posted:

I dunno what Part 4 you guys were reading, but I'm pretty sure Part 4 was a slice of life comedy about chilling with an alien, conning your friend with said alien, finding hundreds of coupons, and eating magical Italian food.

I love that Araki never revealed if Mikitaka was actually an alien or not.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RatHat posted:

I love that Araki never revealed if Mikitaka was actually an alien or not.

The arrow zig zagged around him. What a great character.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Part 4 is about a Japanese David Bowie murdering a fat kid because he took the wrong fast food bag.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

Part 4's the last one I finished (skipped 5 because a friend told me to and now I'm in early 6) and this was definitely what it was about. I just wish we saw more of Okuyasu.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
You really should read five at some point. I think it's really good it just gets kinda confusing and kinda drags in the last couple chapters.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Be sure to read the newer translations of Part 5; the older ones seem good but outright make things up in places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are there actually any complete newer translations? I just found the few volumes that Jojo Project has.

• Locked thread