Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Todd's video - I'm not sure why his audio is so bad this time, considering that it's been a lot better than this in other recent videos. Maybe his usual microphone broke or something?
Holy poo poo, the guy's voice from Passengers...just the most irritating, obnoxious little cutesy male singer's voice I've ever heard.
And that Drake song - I didn't know it was possible to make a boast sound that boring.

I do agree that #5 was the most vile, and probably the one I would have put as number one, if only because it makes my skin crawl - but the ones above that were so insanely mediocre, one wonders how on earth anyone would have thought they were notable enough to chart. I guess people have terrible taste!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Pretty decent list, buy that audio mixing is bad even for him. :v:

I think I already know his Nr1 for the best list though, I do know that song will show up in the top10.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm surprised he put Hold On We're Going Home on his dishonorable mentions, it had that neat little beat. Maybe the other entry turned him off Drake for the year.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I'm surprised he put Hold On We're Going Home on his dishonorable mentions, it had that neat little beat. Maybe the other entry turned him off Drake for the year.

He's a lot less stringent in his (dis)honorable mentions, I find. Which is kind of the point. Personally, I found his inclusion of Trouble on the dishonorable mentions to be weird, since his biggest issue with Taylor Swift has always been her tweeness, and Trouble might be the least twee song she's capable of producing.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Lessail posted:

Overall I think it's weird to call 2013 one of the worst years in music when it had a new David Bowie album, but I suppose there was enough poo poo to outweigh that. Once again I totally agree with Todd about country music though hooo boy imagine the trashing that Redneck Crazy would've had if it was eligible for the list :allears:

That Bowie album was loving awful.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
In defense of Todd's number one, I had to hear that song almost every fuckin' day. It's not good, it's just meh. At least with Katy's Perry's previous hits, there was some sign of life behind them. I can see why people would want to listen to California Gurls or Teenage dream.

At least Blurred Lines and Bitches Love Me were interesting-bad. People were actually talking about them.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Zedd posted:

Pretty decent list, buy that audio mixing is bad even for him. :v:

I think I already know his Nr1 for the best list though, I do know that song will show up in the top10.

Yeah, I guarantee you it's going to be Get Lucky. For whatever it's worth, I think that song is boring as hell, but whatever.

That said, I'm looking through the top 100 pop hits now, and I can't think of what my number 1 would be. Some Nights is still on it, can I pick it twice in a row?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Looking at the year end list, I'd probably say my #1 pick for the best of the year would be Safe and Sound by Capital Cities (of all the songs from In A Tidal Wave of Mystery to be on there, I wouldn't have picked that one) but considering I didn't recognise the vast, vast majority of the list my options were rather limited.

As for Todd's worst list, I can't say I'm surprised Roar was on it but I would've expected it to be much lower (personally, I'd swap it and Bitches Love Me around). Because, yeah, it's not good but at the same time it's not exactly bad either. Mediocrity is kind of worse because there's nothing to say about it, and even horrible things have talking points in them, but that means it can't be considered the worst of anything by default because that would mean there's something to say about it. :v:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 12, 2014

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Violet_Sky posted:

In defense of Todd's number one, I had to hear that song almost every fuckin' day. It's not good, it's just meh. At least with Katy's Perry's previous hits, there was some sign of life behind them. I can see why people would want to listen to California Gurls or Teenage dream.

At least Blurred Lines and Bitches Love Me were interesting-bad. People were actually talking about them.

Yeah, it's honestly rare that I'm in my car any longer than ten minutes where I don't hear it. I don't hate the song, in fact there are tiny parts of it that I like, but it's out of my mind seconds after it finishes.

Todd's latest video has kind of put me off on him simply due to how clear it was that he didn't want to do it. It comes off as a chore that he suffered through and just wanted to end as quickly as possible (and even says as much in the video). It's the difference between hating what you're reviewing and hating to do the review in the first place. I found it all intensely condescending with little humor or insight to be found.

Not that it's entirely his fault: it has been a dismal year for music after all. He could probably use a break from reviewing modern songs to find something he can take some joy out of. Too many of his reviews of modern songs rely on the:
  • Four Chords of Pop.
  • White Guy With Acoustic Guitar.
  • Pedantic, literal interpretations of song lyrics.
Strange that a guy who once said that cynicism was his least favorite quality and that it doesn't lead to anything releases a video that's nearly half an hour of pure, undiluted cynicism.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dragonatrix posted:

As for Todd's worst list, I can't say I'm surprised Roar was on it but I would've expected it to be much lower (personally, I'd swap it and Bitches Love Me around). Because, yeah, it's not good but at the same time it's not exactly bad either. Mediocrity is kind of worse because there's nothing to say about it, and even horrible things have talking points in them, but that means it can't be considered the worst of anything by default because that would mean there's something to say about it. :v:

I think the reason it's at number 1 is because of how mediocre it is combined with his love-hate relationship with Katy Perry. It's not a song that's even bad in a fun way and it adds nothing to music whatsoever. Given how Todd's entire schtick is reviewing bad (or sometimes good!) songs, a song that he can't even do a video review of makes sense as #1.

I am surprised that Bitches Love Me wasn't higher though, especially given his long-held dislike for Lil Wayne.

Ghostpilot posted:

Todd's latest video has kind of put me off on him simply due to how clear it was that he didn't want to do it. It comes off as a chore that he suffered through and just wanted to end as quickly as possible (and even says as much in the video). It's the difference between hating what you're reviewing and hating to do the review in the first place. I found it all intensely condescending with little humor or insight to be found.

This year was such a boring year for music that I can't really blame him. What else is there to talk about?

That said, I'd love it if he did another top 10 worst songs of a random year, I loved all three of those he did.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
To you guys wondering why 'Roar' is #1 when it's not as obviously bad, go and look at his worst of 2011 list. You want to know what the #1 song there was? 'Tonight Tonight' by Hot Chelle Rae, which had very similar criteria to 'Roar', in that they are both completely devoid of any good qualities.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Todd must read this thread.

ToddInTheShadows ‏@ShadowTodd 1h
People are telling me that I put "Bitches Love Me" way too low on my list, and they are correct.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Brad has a new review up of some 70's insanity: http://thecinemasnob.com/2014/01/12/sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band.aspx

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I can totally understand Roar being #1. It's incredibly overplayed and at the same time it's like the absolute pinnacle of the awful and fake feel good anthems that have come from the past few years. It's like a parody of Firework. Firework was a meh song, but at least it felt genuine, at least to me, Roar feels like a million inspirational phrases crammed into one song. It's so bland, processed and made by committee it's the worst song of the year.

I agree that Todd needs to do more worst of random year lists. He really gets to let his music knowledge shine in them.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostpilot posted:

Yeah, most of the bottom 5 in that list was just going through his picks and saying "it sucks, it sucks, it really sucks" without really going any deeper to explain why it sucks. Granted he did full reviews of some of those songs, but that shouldn't be an excuse for cutting corners that badly. He really did come across as not wanting to talk about these songs at all, cause even the most empty songs have something to talk about.

... actually I just realized why he organizes his list the way he did, he's going through them with progressively less to talk about each song down. He started the list at number 10 quickly going over who the artist was, why they suck, and why that song in particular sucks, he actually has something to grasp onto and talk about, but by the time he gets to number 1 he honestly can't think of anything to say about the artist or the song, it's just bad because it's bad because it's bad. It's less about how bad the song actually is and more about how hard it is to talk about how bad it is.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Infamous Sphere posted:

And that Drake song - I didn't know it was possible to make a boast sound that boring.

The only time I've ever heard Started from the Bottom was looking it up after John Green compared it with Benjamin Franklin's autobiography and the song definitely had a lot less drive than I was led to believe. I'd say it's the one song on Todd's list I find completely dull, while "lifeless" songs like Roar or The A Team from last year just grate my ears.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Drake started from the bottom of his rich mom's house in an affluent neighbourhood in Toronto. And the folks that actually live in lovely neighbourhoods with lovely lives here cheerlead him. Sigh...

(Toronto pride is the worst sometimes.)

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Ghostpilot posted:

Strange that a guy who once said that cynicism was his least favorite quality and that it doesn't lead to anything releases a video that's nearly half an hour of pure, undiluted cynicism.

That was a direct quote from Conan O'Brian's farewell speech on NBC (it was probably more recognizable as such at the time than it is now).

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Ghostpilot posted:

He could probably use a break from reviewing modern songs to find something he can take some joy out of. Too many of his reviews of modern songs rely on the:
  • Four Chords of Pop.
  • White Guy With Acoustic Guitar.
  • Pedantic, literal interpretations of song lyrics.

No kidding, the quality of his reviews have nosedived as of late. And this is more of a personal complaint, but I'm goddamn sick of every loving music nerd and critic bitching all the time about the four chords of pop. Yes, it's a cliche and lazy from an artistic standpoint. Yes, I imagine if you've trained yourself to listen for it, it gets pretty old. For the rest of us who don't give a poo poo, it's consistently pleasant music.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
That Drake song just made me wonder if that's what this Jon Lajoie song was making fun of. It's pretty amusing to see Drake bragging about "starting at the bottom" when he grew up privileged and had a prominent role on Degrassi.

Man, Todd is right about 2013 being a boring year for music. Right now, I can only name 3 songs that came out this year that I really liked (I Don't Need A Reason by Dizzee Rascal, Cookie Thumper by Die Antwoord and Hopeless Wanderer by Mumford And Sons) and they weren't even hits. Except for maybe that last one.

I've started to like Todd's One Hit Wonderland videos a whole lot more than his song reviews. Mostly because they're really interesting and super fun to watch and partly because there's only so much you can say about one song, especially the dull poo poo that came out this year.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 13, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The Cinima Snob takes a look at Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, starring Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees.

Wait. What? :psyduck:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Man, the 80's had nothing on the 70's when it came to :psyduck:, incoherent drug-fueled productions. I can't even begin to fathom the train of thought that would lead that to the conclusion that this movie would be a good idea. Much less "this generations Gone with the Wind ."

That said, it has given me some songs to check out. :dance:

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
The ending is so dark it feels totally removed from the rest of the movie.I mean seriously, from starting with a story on how the nazis were beaten by music, to the lead attempting to commit suicide, what. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it the attempt was successful, and the last song bit was actually the final thoughts of him on the pavement.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

surf rock posted:

No kidding, the quality of his reviews have nosedived as of late.

Including One-Hit Wonderland?

He's not done more than two Pop Song Reviews a month since last August (and he only did one in September, November and December).

Peter Frampton was one of America's favourite pop stars before this movie came out. He had the most biggest-selling album of 1976. He performed in arenas and stadiums all across America. The president invited him to play at the White House.

Then this happened.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ghostpilot posted:

Man, the 80's had nothing on the 70's when it came to :psyduck:, incoherent drug-fueled productions. I can't even begin to fathom the train of thought that would lead that to the conclusion that this movie would be a good idea. Much less "this generations Gone with the Wind ."

That said, it has given me some songs to check out. :dance:

I still can't go over the fact that they decided to make a movie version of what is possibly The Beatles's greatest album without any of the Beatles involved* and they thought "This is going to be this generation's Gone With The Wind" . To me, hubris doesn't even touch what ever the hell these guys were thinking.

*I know, the Beatles were broken up and John Lennon was dead by this point but still

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The review is worth watching for Deus Ex Billy Preston alone.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

I still can't go over the fact that they decided to make a movie version of what is possibly The Beatles's greatest album without any of the Beatles involved* and they thought "This is going to be this generation's Gone With The Wind" . To me, hubris doesn't even touch what ever the hell these guys were thinking.

*I know, the Beatles were broken up and John Lennon was dead by this point but still

Actually John Lennon was still around then. He died towards the end of 1980, while the movie came out in '78.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I thought that movie looked familiar, Paw also did a Music Movies review on it. You know speaking of Paw, would you guys agree that he seems to have the best video quality out a lot of the reviewers in Channel Awesome, his videos seem so clear and High Def.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

achillesforever6 posted:

I thought that movie looked familiar, Paw also did a Music Movies review on it. You know speaking of Paw, would you guys agree that he seems to have the best video quality out a lot of the reviewers in Channel Awesome, his videos seem so clear and High Def.
He's also got... really good audio quality, I guess? That's some drat faint praise you've got there.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

Xander77 posted:

He's also got... really good audio quality, I guess? That's some drat faint praise you've got there.

How is that faint praise? His video and audio quality approach something professional. Shits expensive. Takes time. Why not comment on it?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The Nostalgia Critic gives his thoughts on what makes a movie entertainingly bad. I wonder what he's going to do for his second Nicolas Cage editorial.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

rudecyrus posted:

SF Debris is counting down the worst of Star Trek, now at number 4. I'm surprised Code of Honor was only at number 5, considering how awful that episode was.

Good list. Mostly. I can't really agree with his #1. A Night in Sickbay was a dumb episode, sure. But the worst episode in any Star Trek? It's worse than Threshold, Spock's Brain, and really a dozen other episodes I could pick out as dreadfully awful? I don't buy that.

cubs2084 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 16, 2014

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

cubs2084 posted:

Good list. Mostly. I can't really agree with his #1. A Night in Sickbay was a dumb episode, sure. But the worst episode in any Star Trek? It's worse than Threshold, Spock's Brain, and really a dozen other episodes I could pick out as dreadfully awful? I don't buy that.

On it's own, no, I don't think it's the worst, but I understand his rationale: it's the episode that functionally killed the last shreds of Roddenberry's Star Trek, and with the success of the reboots that style is probably never coming back. The chain has been broken.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Todd in the Shadows on Twitter posted:

I just got word from Blip that I have to replace the Taylor Swift music that I was using as my bumper music in the last video.

So Blip has decided to crack down on the use of copywrited content. I wonder if this is a one off or the start of something.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

cubs2084 posted:

Yeah, like LFK said, SFDebris makes it a point to say that the reason for the pick isn't just because it's really dumb but because it essentially kickstarted the death throes of Enterprise and the end of Star Trek on TV as we know it since then.

I will argue against the possibility of old style Trek being totally dead though. I imagine a TV Trek show would be much more able to be more cerebrel over the films. I really REALLY like both new Trek films as well, but I have to think the TV show would be either farther in the future or a totally new crew as well.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

2nd part of the Tomb Raider retrospective!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZUc6Nn6sDI

This part mainly covers the two Raider films - Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and The Cradle of Life (both of which are...well, hard to form any sort of opinion on - I've done it anyway and hopefully made it entertaining). So there might be something here for you folks who go for cinema rather than video games. But for those who do like games, there is a look at probably the worst Tomb Raider game of them all, Angel of Darkness - one of the PS2's biggest turkeys, and a game that came pretty close to killing the series altogether. There's also a little history of video game movies up to the release of Tomb Raider - tiny little looks at Super Mario Bros., Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. Enjoy!

(Took a bit of a risk putting this one on Youtube, but it's not like I have anywhere else to put it. So far though, there hasn't been any kind of Content ID claim. I tried to minimize the possibility as much as I could...fingers crossed.)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Has anyone ever linked to Axemaniac's video game reviews? He's been hard up for ways to get his show more well known since at the moment it's not doing too well but he has been doing a show called SteamShots where he reviews the 5 most recent games on steam with a plan to put out a new video every 5 new games. There was unfortunately a massive wave of games for a while that resulted in him being so far behind that he has started reviewing 10 games an episode instead just to try and play catch up. I like some of his stuff but there are times where he tries doing skit type stuff that just really fails at being funny and is just super awkward and sometimes he flubs up information about the stuff he is reviewing like when he was reviewing a game once only to find out afterwards that he'd reviewed the wrong thing or various video graphics getting misplaced or being wrong. Either way, I've told him to post in here before for suggestions on how to improve his show and what to do with it but I don't think he ever did so here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc69kBjJK1Y

His early videos (first 30 if you ask him) are really really awful and cringe-worthy as hell but his more recent videos are a lot better since he stopped trying to incorporate women standing around awkwardly reading awkward sex jokes off of a cue card into his reviews.

Here's the website he runs as well where you can find all of his reviews. https://www.shotgaming.com

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Steam Shots is pretty decent really, for what it is - I'm subbed to it myself, and there's a fair amount of games on Steam I wouldn't have had any knowledge of or interest in if it wasn't for Steam Shots. I can forgive the odd flub here and there considering just how many games he's covering, capturing and all that...to be honest, I'm not sure how the actual videos themselves could be improved all THAT much. He covers games for just the right amount of time, they're decent capsule reviews, he gets people (or at least me) interested in unfamiliar titles, and the quality's good. However...yeah, it's obviously frustrating - it's clear that a gently caress of a lot of effort goes into the show, capturing all those games, getting as many review copies as possible, writing the script...I don't know if Axemaniac is entirely a one-man band here, but if so then it must be a pain to see the show not really take off, or at least not enough to really keep it going.

Perhaps it needs a bit more pimping. There's a Facebook, but a Twitter might also help. Take it around specific sites too? The Escapist could well be interested in something like this, for example. Failing that, he could even try sites that allow User Submitted Content - ScrewAttack, even Retroware (it may say Retro on the tin, but they'll happily take newer content...y'know, so long as it's good)...don't know if Blistered Thumbs is still all that relevant, but it's a possible avenue. You kinda have to just work your way up a step at a time, I suppose - very few people are going to end up like say, Yahtzee, no matter what...poo poo takes time. 4,500 subscribers after a year and a 1/2 of Steam Shots isn't a bad return (though I don't know if Axemaniac was doing anything else prior).

I also reckon it'd be worth doing a few "extended" shots from time to time - not Let's Plays or anything like that, but if there's a game that's worth perhaps spending a bit more time on...make a 5-minute video on that game? You could highlight it in the corresponding Steam Shots video to boot, try and hype up a bigger review. And you get more views from the people looking for info on said game...It's a better way of reaching out to new audiences than pissing off a forum full of paedophiles, at any rate! Just a suggestion...I've also heard the suggestion that every Steam Shots should be split into 10 separate videos, but nooooo - there's making more content, and then there's being DarkSydePhil and flooding the poo poo out of people's feed, pissing them off and making them reach for the Unsubscribe button. Definitely don't do that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah, like LFK said, SFDebris makes it a point to say that the reason for the pick isn't just because it's really dumb but because it essentially kickstarted the death throes of Enterprise and the end of Star Trek on TV as we know it since then.

I will argue against the possibility of old style Trek being totally dead though. I imagine a TV Trek show would be much more able to be more cerebrel over the films. I really REALLY like both new Trek films as well, but I have to think the TV show would be either farther in the future or a totally new crew as well.

There needs to be a blend of the two styles for it to be marketable. The biggest thing I liked about JJ Trek is that it's fun to watch. The ending of Into Darkness is utter poo poo, but it's still watchable because because they still manage to have some fun with it. I agree though that it should be a smarter affair and tackle more nuanced issues in ways other than "Let's go kill the gently caress out of Benedict Cumberbatch :black101:", to quote io0.com.

Personally, I'd be happy with a post-Nemesis, post-Romulan supernova series set like 10 or 15 years later (or however long it's been real-time since the end of Nemesis) that explores the political fallout from one of the Alpha Quadrant's superpowers having its capital world obliterated hot so on heels of the Dominion War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

There needs to be a blend of the two styles for it to be marketable. The biggest thing I liked about JJ Trek is that it's fun to watch. The ending of Into Darkness is utter poo poo, but it's still watchable because because they still manage to have some fun with it. I agree though that it should be a smarter affair and tackle more nuanced issues in ways other than "Let's go kill the gently caress out of Benedict Cumberbatch :black101:", to quote io0.com.

Personally, I'd be happy with a post-Nemesis, post-Romulan supernova series set like 10 or 15 years later (or however long it's been real-time since the end of Nemesis) that explores the political fallout from one of the Alpha Quadrant's superpowers having its capital world obliterated hot so on heels of the Dominion War.

I would love to see that show. Alas, with the popularity of the reboot, and the hatred of the tv powers that be, I really doubt we'll ever go back to that universe. Much as I'd love to see a new crew explore what would by then be a changed Federation.

• Locked thread