Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Algae Magnet posted:

:cry:

O.k, suppose I did buy this XRGB mini...
How easy is it to setup with a Neo Geo, it doesn't mention anything about scart input.

It comes with an adapter that converts SCART to the 8-pin mini din plug on the front of the XRGB Mini. Unfortunately Japan has a completely different pin arrangement from Europe for their SCART cables. So, if you want to use Euro scart cables you can buy an adapter like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

Heran Bago posted:

Mapper MMC5 support? Someone please try Rockman 4 minus infinity and report back.

Error: A5

:(

I also tried every MMC5 game listed on wikipedia and none but Castlevania 3 worked.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Error: A5

:(

I also tried every MMC5 game listed on wikipedia and none but Castlevania 3 worked.

Yeah first thing I did was try rom city rampage which boots but is a garbled mess :(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Mapper MMC5 support? Someone please try Rockman 4 minus infinity and report back.

I could never even get the non-MMC5 version of Rockman 4 to work on anything.

Apparently some people managed to build a working repro of it: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=21&catid=22&threadid=82338

There were some limitations, they had to use a board from Suikoden: Tenmei no Chikai which is plentiful and inexpensive ($10 for a shipped loose cart on eBay) but it's one of those taller-style boards which means with a pin converter for a front loader it won't be possible to push the "cartridge" down, so you would have to run it on either a top loader or a front loader with really good pins that let a game boot without being pushed down.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Algae Magnet posted:

I'm looking at the Universe BIOS and wondering if it's worth upgrading? I'm not shy about using a soldering iron, but I'm wondering how hard it is to get inside the console and change the chip.
Also doing a modification like this, would it affect the resale value?

I'm not sure if it's the same with the AES, but having a Universal Bios on an MVS board seems to be viewed more favorably than just having a generic OEM/factory bios in my experience.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

flyboi posted:

Yeah first thing I did was try rom city rampage which boots but is a garbled mess :(

Ugh, I want to play that on actual hardware soooooo bad!!

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

The Kins posted:

If for some reason :retrogames:-ing on weird religious games is something you're interested in, apparently Wisdom Tree is working on a limited reprint of the SNES version of Super 3D Noah's Ark (this time as a proper cartridge instead of a weird passthrough thing) for $65 + $7 shipping... which is considerably more than the $8 the DOS version goes for on their site, but hey! Cartridge!

Piko Interactive Not Wisdom Tree

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Algae Magnet posted:

I would like a MVS convertor for cheaper games, also so I can pick up a multi-cart, again, appreciate any recommendations on the best to use.
On the subject of multi-carts, has anyone tried the 161-in-1 cart?

Do Neo Geo CD controllers work on the AES? Trying to get my hands on 2nd controller.

I'm looking at the Universe BIOS and wondering if it's worth upgrading? I'm not shy about using a soldering iron, but I'm wondering how hard it is to get inside the console and change the chip.

Now for the big question, game recommendations.
The console came with mainly fighting games, which while fun, I've always preferred platformers/shooters, so I'm looking out for some recommendations. Of course I'd love to get my hands on the Metal Slug series, but that's far out of my price range as far as AES is concerned.

I'm pretty sure the only converter with 100% compatibility is the Daedalus, however it's not being made any more (there were only 100 of them produced), it cost CA$395 new, and the absurd amount of force required to insert/remove carts from the slot on it makes you feel like you're going to break something.

Yeah, they all use the same pinout. You can AES controllers on an AES, a CD, and any of the MVS models that came with ports on them.

I think it was worth it, but getting the old BIOS desoldered really is a gigantic pain in the rear end if you don't have a dedicated desoldering tool like the Hakko gun I used for mine. If you do go this route, be sure to install a socket to make later upgrades easy. There tends to be a new version every year or two. Dunno whether it affects resale value, though. That isn't really something I've been concerned about.

Do you like top-down or side-view shooters? If so, the Neo Geo has a bunch of 'em. Viewpoint in particular is a great game with a really unique/well-done soundtrack.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

Do you like top-down or side-view shooters? If so, the Neo Geo has a bunch of 'em. Viewpoint in particular is a great game with a really unique/well-done soundtrack.

Also Pulstar and Blazing Star. Aicom/Yumekobo was such a cool dev :swoon:. If you look at the default high score names for I think Pulstar, they're all chassis codes for famous Japanese sports cars.

Also Alpha Mission/ASO 2 is the only thing even resembling a classic caravan shooter, too bad there's exactly one turbo stick for the Neo and it's that huge ugly (but probably awesome) Hori one.

The Sonic Wings/Aerofighters games are arcade perfect (of course) on the Neo and they're awesome.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I bought a 2nd copy of Illusion of Gaia and I noticed on the back the barely-legible stamp has a different number when comparing both carts. Doesn't this indicate the game had a revision? I find this interesting because I thought the big GoodSNES ROM dump as obsessive, and there's never been a (v1.1) after the Illusion of Gaia filename.

The numbers mean nothing as far as revisions go (likely a date/batch number/location), but an A or B (...or D) after the two numbers indicates a version; 01A is a 1.1, 00B is a 1.2 etc. Since most of the backs can be swapped, this is not absolutely true on every used game.

For a few games, the 'revision' was in hardware, like Super Mario Kart going from a DSP-1 to a DSP-1A, etc. Some games only have a A version due to possible last minute hardware revisions.

Many boards will have various revisions that do not change the main hardware or ROM (reducing # of RAM chips, etc).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Keyboard Kid posted:

The numbers mean nothing as far as revisions go (likely a date/batch number/location), but an A or B (...or D) after the two numbers indicates a version; 01A is a 1.1, 00B is a 1.2 etc. Since most of the backs can be swapped, this is not absolutely true on every used game.

For a few games, the 'revision' was in hardware, like Super Mario Kart going from a DSP-1 to a DSP-1A, etc. Some games only have a A version due to possible last minute hardware revisions.

Many boards will have various revisions that do not change the main hardware or ROM (reducing # of RAM chips, etc).

Thanks for clearing this up!

My favorite revision was Super Mario World where they changed Luigi so he looked more like Luigi rather than just a green Mario.

Algae Magnet
Jul 1, 2013
Well, that's another 250 quid out of my bank account :retrogames:.

Bought the XRGB mini and the scart adapter, really hope it's worth it.

Only thing I'm missing now is a MVS convertor

Kreeblah posted:

I'm pretty sure the only converter with 100% compatibility is the Daedalus, however it's not being made any more (there were only 100 of them produced), it cost CA$395 new, and the absurd amount of force required to insert/remove carts from the slot on it makes you feel like you're going to break something.

Yeah, they all use the same pinout. You can AES controllers on an AES, a CD, and any of the MVS models that came with ports on them.

I think it was worth it, but getting the old BIOS desoldered really is a gigantic pain in the rear end if you don't have a dedicated desoldering tool like the Hakko gun I used for mine. If you do go this route, be sure to install a socket to make later upgrades easy. There tends to be a new version every year or two. Dunno whether it affects resale value, though. That isn't really something I've been concerned about.

Can you recommend any others, while I would like to collect AES games as a collection, I mainly want MVS to use a multi-cart, but starting a MVS collection would be cool too.
Saw this http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fusion-neogeo-mvs-to-aes-converter but doesn't seem to be in production either.

As for the BIOS, sounds like a good investment, I'm o.k with soldering, but we have another engineer at work who's alot more skilled them me, so can't see that being much of a problem.

I like both types of shooters tbh, though I find classic space shooters a bit too hard core for me, so I prefer Metal Slug types games.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Just wanted to make a quick post from work to say that I mentioned Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams in my honors thesis.

And yeah, the series basically progresses from Medieval Japan R.E. to Medieval Japan beat-em-up and gets more and more anime with each installment.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Algae Magnet posted:

So I decided to burn a poo poo load of money and buy a Neo Geo AES :retrogames:

It was the forbidden fruit of my childhood, I loved their arcade games, when you saw that little Neo Geo logo on the cabinet or at the load up screen, it meant you was in for something special. I could only fantasize when reading reviews in magazines or looking at shop advertisements selling a single game for over £100.

So long story short, I am now the proud owner of a JAP console, with 7 games. Soon to be 8, ordered Magician Lord on Saturday.

Got of a ton of questions though.
Hey congratulations and welcome to the bigtymer insanity club!

Algae Magnet posted:

I would like a MVS convertor for cheaper games, also so I can pick up a multi-cart, again, appreciate any recommendations on the best to use.
On the subject of multi-carts, has anyone tried the 161-in-1 cart?
The serial number on your AES sort affects which converter you should go for since sprite scaling in some fighters for example gets corrupted, not a huge problem but it's a known one.

Algae Magnet posted:

Do Neo Geo CD controllers work on the AES? Trying to get my hands on 2nd controller.
Yup!

Algae Magnet posted:

It's really easy, solder or cut out the old bios (hole through component), solder in a socket and you can easily change bios if there is an update to the universal bios. As for the resale value it only goes up if done correctly, maybe not if you got a pristine box unit though, not totally sure then.

Algae Magnet posted:

Now for the big question, game recommendations.
The console came with mainly fighting games, which while fun, I've always preferred platformers/shooters, so I'm looking out for some recommendations. Of course I'd love to get my hands on the Metal Slug series, but that's far out of my price range as far as AES is concerned.
To be honest if you're looking to buy a converter get as many MVS carts as you can and buy shock boxes for them, then have nice labels printed out for them and they're pretty much indistinguishable from your AES games when in their boxes. Pretty much all of the platformers and shmups are fun but I recommend you trying them out on emulators before you buy them.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

bpc908 posted:

Piko Interactive Not Wisdom Tree

In that case, it's the same guy who did those Mother 3 repros.

For what it's worth, I guarantee all these "new parts" repros are using the infiniteneslives snes boards. (http://www.infiniteneslives.com/aux5.php) Honestly if you want a few repros, you can do them yourself for half the price. The boards (with a newly molded shell) come out to about $25 per for 4mb, and goes up to 16mb. The 12mb boards are perfect for Star Ocean and is what I used to make the repro for Baldrash's secret santa gift. You'll have to buy the programmer as well, but that's a one time cost.

Also, the same guy sells NES carts, even allowing you to make a Gimmick repro with full sound, something the flashcarts can't do. If anyone decides to go this route, I can definitely help in the process of flashing the carts in IRC (but it's not that hard really, so long as you read the readme included with the software).

So yea, the boards are all preassembled, and require no soldering. It is more expensive than doing repros with donors, but finding the correct flash chips are becoming increasingly more difficult to find as time goes on, and you can bask in glory that you're using a brand new board as opposed to a 20 year old board.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Guys EDGB might have to take precedence over SNES flashcart groupbuy. Well unless we hear that EDGB is gonna take months and months

Uhhhhh, expect to see a signup list soon. You idiots better check the emails you give me :argh:

Speaking of which my Turbo Everdrives should be arriving any day now...

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

ACID POLICE posted:

Guys EDGB might have to take precedence over SNES flashcart groupbuy. Well unless we hear that EDGB is gonna take months and months

Uhhhhh, expect to see a signup list soon. You idiots better check the emails you give me :argh:

Speaking of which my Turbo Everdrives should be arriving any day now...

Guess it's a good thing I just picked up an Atomic Purple GBC yesterday then. :)

NerdsMcGee fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 13, 2014

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

NerdsMcGee posted:

Guess it's a good thing I just picked up an Atomic Purble GBC yesterday then. :)

If you aren't playing GB/C games on an AGS-101 you are literally blinding yourself.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Thanks for clearing this up!

My favorite revision was Super Mario World where they changed Luigi so he looked more like Luigi rather than just a green Mario.
They did that when SMW was included with All-Stars. Some of Luigi's animations are different too, he slides down hills on his knees and spits fireballs :3: They sadly didn't keep those animations for the GBA port though :(

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Aw man, I finally caught an XE-1 Pro on eBay but it's rusty! Not sure if want. :ohdear:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I got my SD2SNES back from SAG and noticed it no longer overheats anymore, which is a definite plus. Unfortunately I'm still experiencing intermittent freezing on the menu (but so far not in-game). After looking further on Krikzz's forums I guess there's a problem with firmware 0.1.5 on certain hardware configurations that cause corruption like that. I downgraded to 0.1.4a and it seems to be doing alright for the moment (it played a game fine for several hours, but I haven't tested the menu extensively yet).

There was supposed to be a firmware upgrade headed down the pipe back in May to address some assorted bugs and issues (this one is thought to be one of them), but there's obviously been no new firmware since then. :unsmith:

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Agrias120 posted:

There was supposed to be a firmware upgrade headed down the pipe back in May to address some assorted bugs and issues (this one is thought to be one of them), but there's obviously been no new firmware since then. :unsmith:

Ikari just had a kid so we figure the SD2SNES is a dead project, or if it comes back it'll be something like 4+ years from now.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Asbrandt posted:

Ikari just had a kid so we figure the SD2SNES is a dead project, or if it comes back it'll be something like 4+ years from now.

Ah, wonderful. Might end up picking up a Super Everdrive or something down the line, then.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

Aw man, I finally caught an XE-1 Pro on eBay but it's rusty! Not sure if want. :ohdear:

These things are really easy to take apart and put back together, so rest assured you can give it a good cleaning and probably add some of the grease I posted about because it's probably bone dry... or maybe the stick is rusted because the previous owner tried to lubricate it with something water based, and the electronics are a corroded horror :ohdear:

I'd ask the seller to take pictures of the internal components, if there's some rust visible who knows what's inside?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I've had a RGB modded PC Engine for years, but have never actually used the mod (I bought it pre-modded from a guy in the UK) until now. The system has an Amiga style connector, which is intended to be used with one of these RGB->SCART cables. I'm using this box to convert the SCART to component video and am sending the signal to a standard 480i CRT with component inputs.

The resulting picture is sharp as all hell as expected, but it has a slight but definite yellow tint, on both my CRT and LCD HDTV. Google tells me that this is probably a bad capacitor in the RGB mod or the system itself. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to actually working on electric components, don't know how to solder, etc. I'm wondering if I can send the whole setup to someone who's really familiar with the PC Engine and RGB modding to diagnose and repair (if possible). I'd pay a reasonable price for both the diagnosis and repair, so go ahead and let me know what it's worth to you in a PM if you want to help a goon out!

EDIT: The PCE in question is a first gen white PCE+CD Interface unit.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Asbrandt posted:

Well, he does have the source up on Github, so in theory somebody else could pick it back up and, say, add cheat code support. It's just probably not going to happen that way.

I've thought about doing it myself, but it would probably take me months to get up to speed since I'd need to do a lot of reading on how the SNES works to understand why he's doing what he is and I just don't have that kind of time. :(

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sad to hear about the partial MMC5 support.

ACID POLICE can you post the cart label and case inserts for the Everbros N8?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Heran Bago posted:

It's been long enough that I think we can forgo the secrecy, I'm your Santa. Have my presents made it yet? :ohdear: I still haven't heard back from DHL.

Whenever you feel like you're done waiting and want to give up, I'd be happy to send you $$$ amounting to the cost of the items I got you through paypal, or steam, or whatever, because no one deserves a presentless giftmas.

Sorry that customs wanted to play your games, PM me if you want me to just send you some sweet cash.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

d0s posted:

These things are really easy to take apart and put back together, so rest assured you can give it a good cleaning and probably add some of the grease I posted about because it's probably bone dry... or maybe the stick is rusted because the previous owner tried to lubricate it with something water based, and the electronics are a corroded horror :ohdear:

I'd ask the seller to take pictures of the internal components, if there's some rust visible who knows what's inside?

Well never mind; the drat thing already sold. Fess up! Which one of you greasy nerds bought it!?

...cause I want you to post pics when you get it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Peenmaster posted:

It's been long enough that I think we can forgo the secrecy, I'm your Santa. Have my presents made it yet? :ohdear: I still haven't heard back from DHL.

Whenever you feel like you're done waiting and want to give up, I'd be happy to send you $$$ amounting to the cost of the items I got you through paypal, or steam, or whatever, because no one deserves a presentless giftmas.

Sorry that customs wanted to play your games, PM me if you want me to just send you some sweet cash.

I'll give it until late February. I am super curious what my gift actually was though.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Heran Bago posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6jxiprvk0z9hzl/pretense%20of%20nes%20tragedy%20g2.bmp
and of course
https://www.dropbox.com/s/196fpoup9qt52u7/U3mw2XY.jpg

Sadly the NES ones didn't get a UGC because apparently UGC's don't fit either NES or Famicom games which is some bullshit

edit: More important things

Saturn modchip people
you should expect an email/pm from me tonight, if you don't get by tomorrow, holler back at me or i may not get you one

EVERDRIVE GB PEOPLE you can sign up HERE but there is no going back on this. if you try to get in on this and then back out I will make you pay me $20. Sign up for EDGB nerd!!!!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1BxYgknueuZZv7IQniZ7I_IE4PDWKeFSC0z_LN4H9pbs/viewform

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 13, 2014

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

ACID POLICE posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6jxiprvk0z9hzl/pretense%20of%20nes%20tragedy%20g2.bmp
and of course

Sadly the NES ones didn't get a UGC because apparently UGC's don't fit either NES or Famicom games which is some bullshit

Saturn modchip people
you should expect an email/pm from me tonight, if you don't get by tomorrow, holler back at me or i may not get you one

EVERDRIVE GB PEOPLE you can sign up HERE but there is no going back on this. if you try to get in on this and then back out I will make you pay me $20. Sign up for EDGB nerd!!!!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1BxYgknueuZZv7IQniZ7I_IE4PDWKeFSC0z_LN4H9pbs/viewform

Signed up like a motherfucker.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ACID POLICE posted:

and of course

Saturn modchip people

What do you mean by prepared SD card... if you need to, PM me

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
It has the OS files and crap already on it if you're too dumb to handle that part of the process

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

The mail usually comes before I go to work but today I had to wait until I got home to open up these beauties. I even passed the mail truck a minute after I left my house. :argh:

Bought Super Dodge Ball CIB because it's an awesome game that deserves the extra :retrogames:. It'd be the best sports game on the NES if it weren't for the existence of Tecmo Super Bowl. Kickmaster is a pretty challenging action game with some very good late-era NES graphics. When all the swords in the kingdom simultaneously fail at once, the realm needs someone who knows how to kick... you are that guy! From the makers of another favorite of mine, Low G Man.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Oh poo poo I need that GB flashcart so I can replay my embarrassing ROM hack proposal on the real hardware. I'll show it off here sometime but my SO doesn't want their 8bit rendition plastered all over the internet so I gotta tweak it first.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

i SIGN UP for EDGB!!!!!!!!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

ACID POLICE posted:

and of course

Saturn modchip people

SIGNED UP. BOOM.

Now I need to buy a proper backlit GBA SP.

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know
So hopefully some of the Sega CD repair gurus from a few months back are still watching this thread:

My Model 1 Sega CD is now on the fritz and won't load discs. The tray opens and closes normally, but the "Press Start to load disc..." only appears after pressing reset. No matter what disc (CD audio, retail game disc, non-retail game disc), it does not seem to ever detect a disc in the tray. On the first boot, the ACCESS light flashes consistently, but on the subsequent reset it does not flash at all. I first thought it would be the drive belt, but it's looking more like some POT adjustment is in my future. Anyone able to give some advice? I'd be happy to discuss over PM if appropriate, or post images/videos that I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Oh poo poo I need that GB flashcart so I can replay my embarrassing ROM hack proposal on the real hardware. I'll show it off here sometime but my SO doesn't want their 8bit rendition plastered all over the internet so I gotta tweak it first.

"...whatever *shrugs*"

I hated FF8 so much. The first disc has some genuinely amazing set pieces where you actually play the role of a paramilitary unit then it goes to poo poo.

This happens a lot in Japanese RPGs and it's really frustrating. They start off with a strong concept then ditch it for a more or less traditional adventure. FF8 could have really explored some dark territory about militarizing teenagers but it takes a backseat to its angsty characters and weird plotlines about witches or something. FF7's Midgar is one of the best settings I've seen in an RPG but only accounts for about 5 hours of the game. Xenogears was awesome playing as this outcast turned reluctant hero who is afraid of the power given him but then it becomes some hodgepodge of 70s sci-fi with anti-religious commentary that belongs on some kids' live journal.

Grandia and FF6 are some of my more memorable JRPGs for having second halves that are as good (if not better) than the first halves. Part of why Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate 2 were so memorable to me is that you're in this conceptually awesome central location so when you briefly leave you feel a disconnection and it makes the alien that much more uncomfortable. Coming back from Ragpicker's Square or Curst or the Underdark to the familiar locations it's almost like opening your eyes and having it adjust to the sun. Same goes with the World of Ruin or going over the wall in Grandia only here you're trying to make familiar connections to a completely alien world.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 14, 2014

• Locked thread