Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Danger posted:

What does an actual fascist undercurrent look like?

Perhaps a flowing river of swastikas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
Haha holy poo poo there is a Canadian Jaeger and it's name is Hoser loving Mountie?! How have I not seen this until now?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nobody tell him.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Too late :smithicide:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

It'll always be real in our hearts.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Haha holy poo poo there is a Canadian Jaeger and it's name is Hoser loving Mountie?! How have I not seen this until now?

And it's powered by maple syrup and poutine, eh.

Ninja edit: Now I'm craving poutine even though I live in Miami. :smith:

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Danger posted:

Like the opposite of red tide, of course :v:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Danger posted:

Millions of dead dissidents and undesirables?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Ours is actually called Chrome Brutus, which is pretty decent, all things considered.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I thought there was Brawler Yukon too?

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

There was actually a Canadian Jaeger?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Grey Fox V2 posted:

There was actually a Canadian Jaeger?

The first Jaeger to kill a Kaiju, even :eng101: :canada:

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

I'm guessing this was some extended universe/in a novelization stuff?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Clipperton posted:

Sorry mate, but Brawler Yukon was ONE-HUNNERD PERCENT AMURRICAN :911:

As for the actual Canadian Jaeger, there unfortunately isn't anymore info on Chrome Brutus except that its pilots were Inuit cousins named Ilisapie Flint and Zeke Amarok.

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I'm guessing this was some extended universe/in a novelization stuff?

Yep, though the stuff I just mentioned specifically came from Travis Beacham's Tumblr.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Clipperton posted:

Named after a Canadian territory, deployed in Vancouver, 100 American.

I remember reading about a planned Tacit Ronin based graphic novel. I hope that we get more comics that show off the other Jaegers.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

After reading Beacham's Tweet about the annihilation of all Jaegers I have to wonder what the hell Del Toro will do if a Pacific Rim sequel is ever made.

Doctor Bishop posted:

Yep, though the stuff I just mentioned specifically came from Travis Beacham's Tumblr.
Found it. Thanks.

http://pacificrim.wikia.com/wiki/Chrome_Brutus

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Well now I want a sequel.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Example: the characters in the film believe themselves to be the saviors of humanity, but are - in truth - just fascists.

What if they're both? You know, after millions of people died...

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wizchine posted:

What if they're both? You know, after millions of people died...

By focussing on merely exterminating/containing the 'inhuman' invaders, the protagonists ensure that nothing is actually solved on Earth. The (very superficial) unity against the kaiju was only a temporary truce. With the kaiju gone, new crises will inevitably emerge - if they haven't already. More Jaegers will be built, and they will be turned against the still-impoverished population, those countries that don't have Jagers....

Recall the key point that Kaiju World is Earth, the rift being a looking-glass that shows Earth's future. The end of the film involves merely breaking this mirror to prevent any self-reflection. It's not a good ending.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think stopping the extermination of humanity counts as solving a problem.

quote:

Recall the key point that Kaiju World is Earth, the rift being a looking-glass that shows Earth's future.

If you hold "The other world is our future" as true doesn't that also include the end result of humanity after Pacific Rim being a united collective hive-mind, regardless of the crises that occur in the interim?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 15, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Recall the key point that Kaiju World is Earth, the rift being a looking-glass that shows Earth's future. The end of the film involves merely breaking this mirror to prevent any self-reflection. It's not a good ending.

I think that you're saying this allegorically, but it's also possible literally. After all, there was that terrible show Terra Nova which was literally about humans in the future going into the past to consume more resources. The next movie is supposed to feature Jaeger/Kaiju hybrids. If the humans start making biological Kaiju and earth continues to be polluted by the kaiju, humans may have to biologically alter themselves to continue to survive. Not all humans will want to do this, so there will be civil war. The biologically altered side with the stronger kaiju that uses drift technology to create a hive mind will win by pure efficiency. Now we have a Terminator/Skynet paradox except that rather than creating our enemy because it is our nature, we have become our own enemy because it is our nature.

I'm don't actually think this is the origin of the Kaiju and their master race. You can call it a completely stupid theory if you want, but each element of it already exists in other media of our culture, which means those ideas are present in our society. Art imitates life imitates art etc.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

I think stopping the extermination of humanity counts as solving a problem.

If you hold "The other world is our future" as true doesn't that also include the end result of humanity after Pacific Rim being a united collective hive-mind, regardless of the crises that occur in the interim?

I never said fascism doesn't work - trains running on time, and all that. The central point of Heinlein's Starship Troopers, after all, is that fascism simply works adequately.

In a proper film, however, characters would be fighting to prevent the future. Kaiju World is the same as Skynet, Krypton, and - more to the point - the advanced prehistoric civilizations in Gamera: Guardian of the Universe and Godzilla. Both Godzilla and Gamera are fighting to prevent the apocalypse from happening 'again': prevent history from repeating itself.

You'll note that, in all these stories, the monster rises to become the hero. It's because these are all variations on the Christ myth. Pacific Rim is no different, except that it sides against Christ. The gag with the baby Kaiju is as if, upon landing, Kal-El had a probe rammed into his baby skull.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I never said fascism doesn't work - trains running on time, and all that

It's important to remember that the trains didn't actually run on time; the popular image of "trains running on time" is down to something that fascists were generally actually good at - propaganda.

vvv It's an Italian fascist thing, not a Nazi thing

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 16, 2014

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's important to remember that the trains didn't actually run on time; the popular image of "trains running on time" is down to something that fascists were generally actually good at - propaganda.

Yeah, I also hear the destinations were pretty lovely too.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

By focussing on merely exterminating/containing the 'inhuman' invaders, the protagonists ensure that nothing is actually solved on Earth. The (very superficial) unity against the kaiju was only a temporary truce. With the kaiju gone, new crises will inevitably emerge - if they haven't already. More Jaegers will be built, and they will be turned against the still-impoverished population, those countries that don't have Jagers....

I'm kind of impressed this thread hasn't been locked yet after 250+ pages of this.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
What we really need is 250 more pages of toys to get this back on track.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

What we really really need is 250 pages of baller art.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

You'll note that, in all these stories, the monster rises to become the hero. It's because these are all variations on the Christ myth. Pacific Rim is no different, except that it sides against Christ. The gag with the baby Kaiju is as if, upon landing, Kal-El had a probe rammed into his baby skull.

I've never watched Gamera and have only seen Godzilla 2000 and US Godzilla, but I thought the second was an allegory about nukes, not that Godzilla was Christ.

Danger posted:

Did we ever call the toys fascist? We could do that next.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

I've never watched Gamera and have only seen Godzilla 2000 and US Godzilla, but I thought the second was an allegory about nukes, not that Godzilla was Christ.

Every Honda-directed Godzilla film is better than Pacific Rim, so watch them already. Godzilla slowly transitions from being an apocalyptic menace to being a follower of Christ. Like he literally teams up with Christ, aka Mothra, to fight the Dragon of Revelation.

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe is also probably the best kaiju film ever made.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are there other movies (non anime) with elbow rockets?

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Are there other movies (non anime) with elbow rockets?

Iron man? Not quite an elbow rocket though.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Wait, what's the evidence that Kaiju World is Earth? I don't remember anything in the movie implying that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Artless Meat posted:

Iron man? Not quite an elbow rocket though.

Forearm rocket, really.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Wait, what's the evidence that Kaiju World is Earth? I don't remember anything in the movie implying that.

I rad the fact that the portal is located in a deep crevasse which lead yet deeper into the Earth as "return to the womb" symbolism.

Granted, I also saw the fact that they had to commune with the kaiju to learn that you needed kaiju DNA to open the portal as symbolizing the need to embrace your enemy (kind of the theme of the movie) in order to purge the sacred heart of the planet from neoliberal contamination for the good of humanity and the kaiju. So I sort of got something different from the movie than did SMG.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Danger posted:

Look how loving cool this is.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Crows Turn Off posted:

No literal evidence at all.

There's a little anxiety about global warming and pollution transforming the world into exactly what the Kaiju masters want, though, which thematically links future Earth (ruined by humanity) with Kaiju world (ruined, presumably, by Kaiju masters).

SMG draws on this (and maybe a few other hints I haven't thought of) to draw a single unified theme from it all, which he disagrees with, and therefore calls it a bad movie. I have the opposite problem; Pacific Rim is super-muddled and has a lot of little thematic hints that all clash with each other.

The imagery of the wall-builders and the role/design of the Jaeger pilots themselves suggests a kind of "working class hero" aesthetic, like Earth's best hope is this unwanted detritus class of laborers and robot jockeys abandoned by politicians and the rich. But it never goes anywhere with this, and at the same time, the fact that Jaeger pilots were formerly celebrities and hero-soldiers beloved by the media kind of goes the opposite direction.

Similarly, there are a few scenes to suggest the Kaiju are somehow victimized, pathetic -- the birthing scene that SMG keeps coming back to, Newt sharing their experience as pain and suffering and then being tracked down by one of the older Kaiju for reasons that seemed more inquisitive than violent -- but then their ultimate role in the plot really is just to be a violent, existential threat to humanity.

I wouldn't describe it as a fascist film at all. I'd describe it as a film which lacks conviction and hopes that imagery alone will carry it. I think Del Toro shot himself in the foot by "trying to recapture his feelings towards <Mazinger, etc>" as a child, because adults almost inevitably underestimate how much children pick up on and think that childlike appreciation means a shallow appreciation. Ironically, his movies about children are much more on point than his movie "for" children. (Loosely speaking.)

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have the opposite problem; Pacific Rim is super-muddled and has a lot of little thematic hints that all clash with each other.

The imagery of the wall-builders and the role/design of the Jaeger pilots themselves suggests a kind of "working class hero" aesthetic, like Earth's best hope is this unwanted detritus class of laborers and robot jockeys abandoned by politicians and the rich. But it never goes anywhere with this, and at the same time, the fact that Jaeger pilots were formerly celebrities and hero-soldiers beloved by the media kind of goes the opposite direction.

I get what you're saying, but I don't get a sense of dissonance out of this the way you do.

It would seem that the ruling class was never particularly interested in whether or not the Jaeger program or the perimeter walls were efficacious for their intended ostensible purposes, but rather that they served to keep the working classes occupied and cognitively engaged to the exclusion of paying attention to the exodus of the rich from greater society. This is, after all, the media's purpose at the current time, in our universe and as far as we can tell in the Pacific Rim universe as well. We aren't given explicit indication, but I think it is safe to assume that the wealthy had begun preparations for engineering their own salvation long before the masses became aware of those activities. While the effectiveness of the upper class' preemptive self-imposed isolation can be debated, conveniently enough the issue is rendered moot by the apparent success of the Jaeger program. In the scenario wherein things continue on with a relative congruence to the pre-invasion status quo, the "saving of the Earth" will likely have had the result of perpetuating the hegemony of the class of people who will themselves eventually become analogous or literal manifestations of the Kaiju master-race, by virtue of all of the exigent circumstances which will have necessitated a "Kaiju program" in the first place.

Edit: "ostensible" not "intended"

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 18, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That's fair. That particular issue might be more a case of my expectations and hopes vs. the film rather than the film vs. itself.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Crows Turn Off posted:

It's metaphorically Future Earth, in the same way that Krypton is.

What the films I've listed share is a blurring of the lines between past and future. Krypton was a futuristic planet that blew up decades ago, and the Terminator films use time-travel fuckery to make the past and future literally the same. Consequently, characters like Kyle Reese are doomsday prophets, receiving messages (memories) from a future that 'already happened'.

Another thing these films have in common is imagery of terraformation. You can note how the battle in Aliens centers around the Atmospheric Processor, while the aliens modify their own environment. Terraformation is linked to pragmatist philosophers like G.H. Mead, who wrote about how species can/should reshape the world in accordance with their 'determining power'. Since animals are less complex/organized, their determining power - and, consequently, their values - are totally different.

"I do not know what it is like to be God, nor do I know what it is like to be a bat. The concept of intrinsic/inherent value is thus either meaningless, or else it reduces to the value of something that enters into ecological relations that do not immediately affect any human agent. All that is, however, does eventually, mediately, affect some human agent. Its value can thus be cognized by humans, and its moral considerability can be acknowledged and respected. The lesson here, that we are connected at all points to our environments, and they to us, is the Alpha and the Omega of pragmatic thought about the environment."

-Kelly Parker

What you see in films like Starship Troopers and Pacific Rim is where this logic breaks down - where the bugs are seen as only part of OUR environment, and therefore we must exert power over them. And, of course, the bugs have their own conflicting values....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Haha, this thread is still going? SMG, this movie must have made quite an impression on you for you to want to criticise it so much!

Anyway, here is something: Pacific Rim as 80s video game with 8-bit music.

• Locked thread