Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

univbee posted:

The Vita with its OLED screen would be fantastic for this. Also, I hope that when 4K gaming starts, this will be one of the first types of things we'll see on it.

We'll get it eventually... at some point there will be enough nostalgia for 32-bit games, like there are for 8 and 16-bit ones now, and you'll see indies knocking out hybridpunk RPGs with prebaked, animated backgrounds that are full of detail and character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Maybe we can finally get an English version of The Last Great Untranslated JRPG[TM]. The extremely fun and very beautiful El Dorado Gate.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

zenintrude posted:

We'll get it eventually... at some point there will be enough nostalgia for 32-bit games, like there are for 8 and 16-bit ones now, and you'll see indies knocking out hybridpunk RPGs with prebaked, animated backgrounds that are full of detail and character.

Speaking of which...

Bring on the future, please. I have more tolerance for faux-retro themed graphics than most people but it's the year 2014 and we have the technology to make video games look like moving paintings.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Maybe we can finally get an English version of The Last Great Untranslated JRPG[TM]. The extremely fun and very beautiful El Dorado Gate.

I'd like to get a translation of Seven: Molmorth no Kiheitai though I know it will never happen. It was advertised alongside Disgaea and Viewtiful Joe as games we were going to see coming stateside but it's the only one that didn't. I was going through an Ogre Battle kick at the time and I really want to play it properly.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 15, 2014

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

al-azad posted:

It was advertised alongside Disgaea and Viewtiful Joe as games we were going to see coming stateside but it's the only one that didn't.

I'm still waiting on GiFTPiA

al-azad
May 28, 2009

zenintrude posted:

I'm still waiting on GiFTPiA

I bet if that game was also on PS2 we would have seen it. Chulip of all games saw a release.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

al-azad posted:

"...whatever *shrugs*"

I hated FF8 so much. The first disc has some genuinely amazing set pieces where you actually play the role of a paramilitary unit then it goes to poo poo.

I'll just leave this here. http://squallsdead.com

I too thought FF8 was pretty dumb, but if that theory is actually what the developers were going for and not some random pipe dream to justify it being wonky, it's a BRILLIANT plot.

(Major FF8 plot spoilers, FYI.)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

The Vita with its OLED screen would be fantastic for this. Also, I hope that when 4K gaming starts, this will be one of the first types of things we'll see on it.

Sony is dropping the OLED screens from the Vita due to price. Sucks. :(

Buy one now if you were ever going to get one.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
edit: don't buy it, it intentionally crashes.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 15, 2014

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Sony is dropping the OLED screens from the Vita due to price. Sucks. :(

Buy one now if you were ever going to get one.

Oh gosh I mean now I just kind of have to get a Vita.

Darn. ;)

I love how thanks to PSN+ I already have a bunch of games I got completely free, for a platform I don't even own yet. PSN+ is the illest

Also that Android FF6 battle UI is... something. :stare:

e. wrong FF

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 15, 2014

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I can't get over how the characters and the tile backgrounds are both scaled differently (and poorly)

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Are there any good usb NES controllers out there or are they all universally terrible?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
As in third party? All terrible. Just buy an adapter.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Gigante posted:

I can't get over how the characters and the tile backgrounds are both scaled differently (and poorly)

My friend came over and we were going to try the game out (since he has an Android phone; I'm on iOS) and the game intentionally crashes if your phone is rooted.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My friend came over and we were going to try the game out (since he has an Android phone; I'm on iOS) and the game intentionally crashes if your phone is rooted.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Pablo Gigante posted:

Looks bad, like Guardian Heroes XBLA

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

haha was there some "hAcKerZ TooL" that gave you free Skype credits or something? What the hell is the justification for that on a free app?

Something tells me the people genuinely pirating the game can get around that check. :thumbsup:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

haha was there some "hAcKerZ TooL" that gave you free Skype credits or something? What the hell is the justification for that on a free app?

They claimed it was for stability, as I recall.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Quidnose posted:

I too thought FF8 was pretty dumb, but if that theory is actually what the developers were going for and not some random pipe dream to justify it being wonky, it's a BRILLIANT plot.

I actually liked FF8 but I played it before FF7 so who knows, and Zell was a cool dude. The paramilitary flashbacks were pretty badass too. They even had different battle music!

Thanks a lot for that link damnit. It's yet another huge tab I have open that I have to read now at some point.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Tyson Tomko posted:

Zell was a cool dude.

All I remember about this guy is hot dogs

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

That's just not true. It runs fine here and I'm rooted.

Ask your friend if he has Android Runtime enabled instead of Dalvik. If so, returning to Dalvik should fix it. Otherwise, I dunno, but it isn't root-specific.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Quidnose posted:

There are some stretches in that, but a large part of it fits surprisingly well. I want to play through the game with this theory in mind now, though. I do wish that the rest of the game was more like disc 1--running assault missions as a SeeD operative was baller as gently caress.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I played FF7 on PSP again recently, and really liked the prerendered backgrounds. Playing through scenes where they set a particular camera angle & perspective makes for some cool setpieces, something that's missing when you can spin the camera around yourself all over the place.

Not saying I want every game to go back to Resident Evil style fixed cameras and tank controls, but in FF7's case it was pretty cool.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Remember when using the fixed camera to hide items behind walls (or even worse, through an invisible side path in the wall, like in FF4) was considered a gameplay element?

Kinda miss that a little.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

triplexpac posted:

I played FF7 on PSP again recently, and really liked the prerendered backgrounds. Playing through scenes where they set a particular camera angle & perspective makes for some cool setpieces, something that's missing when you can spin the camera around yourself all over the place.

Not saying I want every game to go back to Resident Evil style fixed cameras and tank controls, but in FF7's case it was pretty cool.

There are certain renders that I absolutely love for reasons that will probably seem silly but I'll go into them (a bit) any way... take for example this area:

This area simply links Wall Market to Don Corneo's villa... that's all it does. With any other game, the developer probably wouldn't have bothered with creating a whole render just for this and instead put the entrance to the villa at the end of the Wall Market render. However in FFVII, the world itself is as much a character as anyone in AVALANCHE and to take shortcuts like that would do a huge disservice to the game... at that point, you may as well be using tile sets and remaking FFVI.

Now what I love about this area is that it's packed full of shopping kiosks/carts, yet there are no other NPCs in the area other than Don Corneo's doorman... what are these kiosks all about? Why is no one staffing them? Does it have something to do with the time of day? What time of day is it during this scene? Why are they located so close to the entrance of a private residence? Are they always here? And although I'll never know the answer to these questions (because, in the grand scheme of things, they are irrelevant to the plot) I'm sure there was a discussion at some point regarding how and why this area should look this way and how it would add to the feeling conveyed to the player.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

hubris.height posted:

Remember when using the fixed camera to hide items behind walls (or even worse, through an invisible side path in the wall, like in FF4) was considered a gameplay element?

Kinda miss that a little.

Some of FF4's hidden passages were very obvious. Others were just annoying. FF5 at least had a way to see them. FF6 took a step back and made them invisible again.

I'm not sure I miss it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

G-Prime posted:

They claimed it was for stability, as I recall.

Just like EA claimed Sim City was literally impossible to be played offline because of The Cloud(r) and would you look at that, always online is being patched out without a word.

zenintrude posted:

Now what I love about this area is that it's packed full of shopping kiosks/carts, yet there are no other NPCs in the area other than Don Corneo's doorman... what are these kiosks all about? Why is no one staffing them? Does it have something to do with the time of day? What time of day is it during this scene? Why are they located so close to the entrance of a private residence? Are they always here? And although I'll never know the answer to these questions (because, in the grand scheme of things, they are irrelevant to the plot) I'm sure there was a discussion at some point regarding how and why this area should look this way and how it would add to the feeling conveyed to the player.

Remember when you first meet Aeris after blowing up the reactor and you're in this side street with flipped cars, tattered banners, and bland advertisements?

You never come back here. It's only used in the game once but they put a ridiculous amount of detail into carefully crafting it.

Anyway, here's an imgur that contains a bunch of background gifs from FF7.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I still think it's hilarious that's there's an ad with a reference to My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" up there. Someone at Square was obviously a fan.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

al-azad posted:

Remember when you first meet Aeris after blowing up the reactor and you're in this side street with flipped cars, tattered banners, and bland advertisements?

You never come back here. It's only used in the game once but they put a ridiculous amount of detail into carefully crafting it.

Anyway, here's an imgur that contains a bunch of background gifs from FF7.

FFVII is so good :allears:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

I still think it's hilarious that's there's an ad with a reference to My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" up there. Someone at Square was obviously a fan.

And that they then made it a play in Crisis Core that the villain was obsessed with.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

shymog posted:

That's just not true. It runs fine here and I'm rooted.

Ask your friend if he has Android Runtime enabled instead of Dalvik. If so, returning to Dalvik should fix it. Otherwise, I dunno, but it isn't root-specific.

He said he looked into it a bit more and it's caused by something called Xposed Framework being installed. But a quick search tells me it's just a program used to adjust your phone with things like battery statuses and separate volume sliders so no clue why that would prevent it from launching.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

zenintrude posted:

All I remember about this guy is hot dogs

That, his near infinite limit breaks/combos/whatever they are called, and his hair/outfit is most of what I remember too.

ZELDA QUESTION:
I've never played the Four Swords games despite having had the GBA game for forever. What are the big differences between the GBA game and the GC Four Swords Adventure game?

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you play with 4 players via link cable on GBA, and 4 players coop with GBA-GC adapters on GC? Is the overall world the same on both?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Tyson Tomko posted:

ZELDA QUESTION:
I've never played the Four Swords games despite having had the GBA game for forever. What are the big differences between the GBA game and the GC Four Swords Adventure game?

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you play with 4 players via link cable on GBA, and 4 players coop with GBA-GC adapters on GC? Is the overall world the same on both?

Short answer: they are different games. Four Swords (the bonus for LTTP GBA) is a pretty short game. Four Swords Adventures is longer, more robust.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Tyson Tomko posted:

That, his near infinite limit breaks/combos/whatever they are called, and his hair/outfit is most of what I remember too.

ZELDA QUESTION:

I loving loved his limit break. I was so good at it that I could get a million hits in because I had all the inputs memorized, and you could for the most part know what set of moves would be up next, or at least guess one of them. He was always in my party when he could be and is definitely one of my favorite FF characters.

I know it's an unpopular opinion but FF8 is my favorite of the entire FF series. Probably because it was the first one I ever played (I wasn't allowed to play videogames growing up) People often point out its plot failings to me, and I don't really mind them. I definitely didn't mind them the first time I played. LOL I DIDN'T WANT TO SAY ANYTHING BUT LITERALLY ALL OF US GREW UP TOGETHER LOL. I also remember how awesome I thought it was that Edea joins your party and I was loving AMAZED that Garden could fly and nothing beats MOTHER. loving. RAGNAROK. The music was loving incredible and as a goth highschool student I absolutely loved Squall as a protagonist. Whatever.

I remember my friends and I would name Rinoa's dog "Bitch" and be infinitely amused when she would cast "Bitch Rush". Selphie was the superior waifu though. Quistis had that librarian thing going which was pretty rad too. I know that I'm viewing it through the rose coloredest glasses in the world, but I don't care. I love that game. I loved how many GFs(Summons) that there were, I loved how many of them were super hidden and you really had to know what you were doing to get them. Doomtrain, Cactuar, Tonberry, Odin, I loved them all. I loved how Odin shows up that one time you're fighting Seifer, but Seifer is a badass and just loving cuts him in half, and then you get Gilgamesh to replace Odin. It was so cool to me that some optional GF would be so involved down the line. I remember being so frustrated trying to get Bahamut and Eden because you would keep running into 2 red dragons. I loved that the world map had the Islands Closest to heaven and hell, which were nothing other than islands with hella hard monsters on it, and the only way to find out about them was to explore. I loved that grinding in that game wasn't really necessary. I loving LOVE THAT GAME.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Peenmaster posted:

I know it's an unpopular opinion but FF8 is my favorite of the entire FF series. Probably because it was the first one I ever played

Same deal for me, kind of. I had very limited access to games growing up and owned nothing but an NES until the PS2. FF1 was the first FF I played, and FF8 was the second, and also the first FF I ever beat. I don't mind the stupid parts of the plots either because it was overshadowed by my overall enjoyment of the game. It has one of my favourite game soundtracks ever, and I love the character and environment designs. So while I believe FF6 is a superior game, I still have a soft spot for FF8. When my boyfriend was purging some of his childhood items and tried to throw out his official Triple Triad cards, I rescued them immediately, because TRIPLE TRIAD.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Peenmaster posted:

I also remember how awesome I thought it was that Edea joins your party
That whole section is one of my favorites in the game, mostly because the music in the area you go through is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqPFN0mwDdU

FFVIII is one of my favorites in the series as well. I realize it's a broken piece of poo poo with some of the worst writing known to man, but there's just something about it that makes it so much fun to play.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tyson Tomko posted:

ZELDA QUESTION:

There's also one released for the DSi/3DS that you literally can no longer get (ever). :(

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The "twist" in FF8 is the first time I can remember actually getting pissed off at a video game's story. So I guess it has that going for it.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Peenmaster posted:

FF8 is radical

I agree with most of your points dude rock on. My FF playing experience was also a little weird, here's how it went down for me:

- Final Fantasy Legends 2 was the first FF game I played. I was 13 staying at my grandparents for a summer. poo poo is HARDCORE nostalgic. I remember flipping out at how badass and fun the Glass Sword was.
- Around the time FF9 came out I finally got a Playstation myself and played FF8 and loved it. I was blown away at all the prerendered backgrounds and the 400 discs it had. I was/am a Triple Triad master.
- Having enjoyed FF8 I then played FF7. Was a great game but I missed the "draw" system FF8 had that everyone but me seemed to hate
- rest of my limited FF history isn't very interesting (went to NES games, then SNES games, then dabbled in PS2 stuff and nothing after X-2)

-- poo poo I was typing this post for a while, like 5 other posts got posted.

zari-gani posted:

...because TRIPLE TRIAD.

gently caress YEAH TRIPLE TRIAD. I was so into that, I would crank up the volume on my stereo wayyyyy up specifically when I played it. That was the first time I had a video game system plugged into something with a subwoofer (vs an ancient receiver and lovely speakers) so it was even more intense.

VVVVV
For the record I didn't hate materia, materia was pretty drat cool (I had a friend who still to this day pronounces it as manertia like inertia haha) I just really enjoyed the draw system.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Tyson Tomko posted:

- Having enjoyed FF8 I then played FF7. Was a great game but I missed the "draw" system FF8 had that everyone but me seemed to hate

You live in a weird parallel universe where people loved Draw and hated Mataria instead of the opposite (and correct) way around.

• Locked thread