Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

KilGrey posted:

I'm still having a hard time seeing Clancy Brown as the kindly, wise mentor. He creeped me out so bad in Carnivale it's etched in my brain.

Some of us are more used to Clancy Brown being on the other end of the beheader/beheadee arrangement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Don't forget he was a nice dad in Earth 2. Uh, if anyone remembers Earth 2.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I prefer the episodes that don't have Crane's wife in them. I feel like every scene she's in just had subpar acting.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I don't know what guy saw Dexter and thought "we should give this woman a main cast role in our new show".

She's barely in the show as it is and it makes me wonder if they just started taking scenes away from the character after finding out her limitation.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jedit posted:

Some of us are more used to Clancy Brown being on the other end of the beheader/beheadee arrangement.

I'm increasingly used to him as Mr. Krabbs.

But the Kurgan (and Sgt. Zim) is really where it's at with Clancy Brown.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Midnight City posted:

I don't know what guy saw Dexter and thought "we should give this woman a main cast role in our new show".

She's barely in the show as it is and it makes me wonder if they just started taking scenes away from the character after finding out her limitation.
I'm just finding it odd that she's billed as a main character, but Jenny's actress isn't.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Lycus posted:

I'm just finding it odd that she's billed as a main character, but Jenny's actress isn't.

That's due to contracts signed at the beginning of the season. I fully expect that Jenny will be a main character next season.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm increasingly used to him as Mr. Krabbs.

But the Kurgan (and Sgt. Zim) is really where it's at with Clancy Brown.

Rawhide :colbert:

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Lex Luthor

e: I think he also had disposable mentor syndrome in Cowboys & Aliens.

Kaddion fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 16, 2014

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Don't forget he was a nice dad in Earth 2. Uh, if anyone remembers Earth 2.

I remember Earth 2 AND I didn't see Carnivale... I am the person for whom his casting works.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gyges posted:

Glad to see Ben Franklin's getting in on the apocalypse.

If we dont get Benjy and GW leading the Charge of the Light Brigade, show ruined :colbert:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Coconut Indian posted:

I prefer the episodes that don't have Crane's wife in them. I feel like every scene she's in just had subpar acting.
Every time I see her I just burst out laughing, so I think she works. Of course the main character's wife is a redheaded witch named Katrina played by a woman named Katia Winters who largely exists as plot exposition bosoms. Of course. Its just so stupidly perfect.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tupping Liberty posted:

I remember Earth 2 AND I didn't see Carnivale... I am the person for whom his casting works.

No, you're a horrible waste of perfectly good organic matter who needs to go watch Carnivale right loving now because it's amazing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jedit posted:

No, you're a horrible waste of perfectly good organic matter who needs to go watch Carnivale right loving now because it's amazing.

This, I was so loving bummed when that show got canned. It was soooo good.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have seen Carnivale several times, but for some reason didn't remember the actor being on that show, i associate him with Lost.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Whaaaa- He's in my avatar yo doesn't that look like someone you'd remember lordy he's only the best character on the show oh my :supaburn:

Seriously, if anyone here hasn't watched Carnivale, you need to remedy that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah all these people talking about how crushed they were by it ending suddenly and without resolution really recommends it to me.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's the journey, not the destination. :colbert:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Rabbit Hill posted:

It's the journey, not the destination. :colbert:

That 'argument' may be true for life in the most general sense, but it sure as poo poo doesn't fly when we're talking about tv shows.

I'm still pissed about Alphas. And before that, Firefly. And before that (this one's for the 'geezers'), Dark Angel. :colbert:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Nobody's saying every character on every show has to have some kind of conclusive ending where the audience is shown exactly what happens to them, but a show needs to be able finish the story it was trying to tell if its going to feel complete. Its basic storytelling, there should be a beginning, middle, and end. If you told me in advance that a story will be abruptly cut off two thirds of the way though I wouldn't want to bother starting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

richardfun posted:

That 'argument' may be true for life in the most general sense, but it sure as poo poo doesn't fly when we're talking about tv shows.

I'm still pissed about Alphas. And before that, Firefly. And before that (this one's for the 'geezers'), Dark Angel. :colbert:

Alphas ended at a natural conclusion.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Jedit posted:

The way Alphas ended is, in my humble opinion at least, the very definition of a butt clenching cliffhanger.

Also, I miss Gary :smith:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You can still have a satisfying experience even if the show doesn't make it to the end. Carnivale was a really good show, and I don't consider my time wasted at all for watching it despite it not "ending". There is an ending of a sort in those two seasons anyway, it's the twin journeys of Justin and Ben as they discover who they are and struggle with that. Is there more story after that? Sure, but there's obviously more stories to be told after any show which does end. Like there's not more stories you could tell about Jesse Pinkman or Vic Mackey or Widget the World Watcher or whatever show you choose.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Rabbit Hill posted:

Whaaaa- He's in my avatar yo doesn't that look like someone you'd remember lordy he's only the best character on the show oh my :supaburn:

I sometimes have a bad memory for actors, and while Clancy Brown does a great job in Carmivale i must admit that i don't follow his side of the story too closely.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

richardfun posted:

Oh, man, Dark Angel. I'm surprised they haven't tried to reboot that.

I remain most butthurt over the tragedy that is Kings not getting a second season. That show was legitimately amazing, and the setup for the next season was solid. I mean, come on: Ian McShane played a corrupt king. In what universe isn't that awesome?

Sleepy Hollow is one of few shows I want to be *more* excessive and ridiculous. Especially the time travel and historical revisionist shenanigans; they're like National Treasure movies with demons in them.

I hope they tie even more weird occult poo poo to other parts of world history. I mean, was the Civil War actually about the devil? Was Robert E. Lee possessed? Was John Brown actually put into crypto-sleep after Harpers Ferry? I want them to get weirder with it. Custer was in a demonic cult. Czar Nicholas II broke a blood oath with the devil. Hitler learned black magic from the Thule Society. *That* kind of weird. If I wanted restraint or plausibility, I'd watch Downton Abbey.

(I actually do watch Downton Abbey, though.)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Xealot posted:

I remain most butthurt over the tragedy that is Kings not getting a second season. That show was legitimately amazing, and the setup for the next season was solid. I mean, come on: Ian McShane played a corrupt king. In what universe isn't that awesome?

I really wanted to like Kings, because the acting and the concept was amazing, but I just couldn't. The episodically contained super-crises every episode just made it impossible for me to take it seriously. Monster-of-the-week style shows are one thing, but national-level-disaster-of-the-week is just silly.

The effects in Sleepy Hollow continue to be top notch. The demon in this arc reminds me a lot of Azazel from the movie The Fallen.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Jedit posted:

I actually believe this because for some reason my mind is cool with everyone being dead except Gary.

Does Carnivale give me a similar opportunity, or is it less conclusive than Alphas?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

It ends like the first act of a larger story. There's a conclusion which promises new stories, but is sort of self-contained despite that.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Tupping Liberty posted:

I actually believe this because for some reason my mind is cool with everyone being dead except Gary.

Does Carnivale give me a similar opportunity, or is it less conclusive than Alphas?

It definitely shows that there is more of the story to tell, but you get enough of an ending to be satisfied. I had questions when it was over but they were questions that were able to be answered by looking back at previous episodes. It's definitely not a show you can just pop on in the background, you need to actually sit and watch it. While I'd have loved for the show to have gone on, it was very much worth watching what we did get.

Here is a the intro to the first episode to give you a little taste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqc0R6Geh_8

Also, it probably has my favorite opening credits to a show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CYMXoX-b0o

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I love this show so much, I just discovered it after it was mentioned in the Almost Human thread, and I've just spent the past two days marathoning all the episodes so far.

It's the closest thing to Buffy/Angel that's existed since Angel finished.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The Lord Bude posted:

I love this show so much, I just discovered it after it was mentioned in the Almost Human thread, and I've just spent the past two days marathoning all the episodes so far.

It's the closest thing to Buffy/Angel that's existed since Angel finished.

Grimm is actually closer, but Sleepy Hollow is in the ballpark.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Grimm is actually closer, but Sleepy Hollow is in the ballpark.

I haven't seen that... Guess I have something to do over the weekend now.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Talking of other shows with similar themes, I can't help but compare sleepy hollow with supernatural. Don't get me wrong, I love supernatural, but if one of the leads was told by a powerful demon "I'm going to take the other leads soul and it will be your fault" they would spend 3 episodes angsting about it, lying about nothing being wrong and then finally confessing after doing something monumentally stupid in an attempt to sort out the problem on their own. In sleepy hollow moloch tells crane that, so crane... Tells Abbie what happened the minute she walks into the room so they can try to deal with it together. Its refreshing to have characters in a genre show occasionally acting like sensible adults.

Similarly, Irving trusting and working with Abbie and Ichabod, even when his daughter is possessed. I think one of the things I like about the show is that a lot of the drama comes from the main characters vs the villains instead of forcing clashes between main characters by having none of them talk to each other.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

SiKboy posted:

Talking of other shows with similar themes, I can't help but compare sleepy hollow with supernatural. Don't get me wrong, I love supernatural, but if one of the leads was told by a powerful demon "I'm going to take the other leads soul and it will be your fault" they would spend 3 episodes angsting about it, lying about nothing being wrong and then finally confessing after doing something monumentally stupid in an attempt to sort out the problem on their own. In sleepy hollow moloch tells crane that, so crane... Tells Abbie what happened the minute she walks into the room so they can try to deal with it together. Its refreshing to have characters in a genre show occasionally acting like sensible adults.

Similarly, Irving trusting and working with Abbie and Ichabod, even when his daughter is possessed. I think one of the things I like about the show is that a lot of the drama comes from the main characters vs the villains instead of forcing clashes between main characters by having none of them talk to each other.

In the same vein, remember Crane's child? Most shows would have the characters keep it a secret from one another until the finale or a few episodes later.

Not here, sayeth Abbie who told Crane about his Witch(Wizard?) baby the moment she met him again.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Postal Parcel posted:

In the same vein, remember Crane's child? Most shows would have the characters keep it a secret from one another until the finale or a few episodes later.

Not here, sayeth Abbie who told Crane about his Witch(Wizard?) baby the moment she met him again.

Which immediately lead to the deaths of several "good" people when his kid's doll followed him back from interrogating his wife in purgatory and went on a revenge spree.

That was a weird sentence.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
It's the magic of the 13 episode season. They don't have to worry about padding out the seasons with numerous monster-of-the-week episodes. And even when they do have one of those episodes, it still adds something to the over-all story, and isn't just a one-off.

As of now, aren't they already re-newed for a second 13 episode season? I haven't heard anything about a full-season order. Personally, I want them to stick to this format. It may mean a longer wait for new Sleepy Hollow, but you know it'll be worth it when it gets here.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

El Tortuga posted:

It's the magic of the 13 episode season. They don't have to worry about padding out the seasons with numerous monster-of-the-week episodes. And even when they do have one of those episodes, it still adds something to the over-all story, and isn't just a one-off.

As of now, aren't they already re-newed for a second 13 episode season? I haven't heard anything about a full-season order. Personally, I want them to stick to this format. It may mean a longer wait for new Sleepy Hollow, but you know it'll be worth it when it gets here.

There is a second season and it is intentionally always 13 episode orders.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Orlando Jones seems to think we're all going to be blown away by the finale: http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsideth...eakin-mind.html

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Astrofig posted:

Orlando Jones seems to think we're all going to be blown away by the finale: http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsideth...eakin-mind.html

"Level 1 has ended. Begin Level 2"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Astrofig posted:

No Ichabod, you are the demons!

• Locked thread