Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Insertnamehere31 posted:

That is awesome and should replace "U-S-A U-S-A" as the standard american chant.

God it's so obnoxious. I went to a national game at my local MLS stadium and the ultras there just started singing the local songs (which, to be fair, is pretty much just "whoa, wo wo wo wo whoooooa whooa" from Seven Nation Army, but its still MILES better than U-S-A U-S-A over and over again.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

the JJ posted:

God it's so obnoxious. I went to a national game at my local MLS stadium and the ultras there just started singing the local songs (which, to be fair, is pretty much just "whoa, wo wo wo wo whoooooa whooa" from Seven Nation Army, but its still MILES better than U-S-A U-S-A over and over again.)

Obnoxious football fans? I've never heard of such a thing.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I would be perfectly happy to never hear Seven Nation Army or Chelsea Dagger at a football ground ever again, but gently caress's sake yank teams, at least set the former to loving words. What's all this "wo wo wo" poo poo?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Insertnamehere31 posted:

That is awesome and should replace "U-S-A U-S-A" as the standard american chant.

Let's face it, it's just not as good as

quote:

If I had the wings of a sparrow
if I had the arse of a crow,
I'd fly over Tackleford tomorrow,
And poo poo on the bastards below,

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

mfcrocker posted:

I would be perfectly happy to never hear Seven Nation Army or Chelsea Dagger at a football ground ever again, but gently caress's sake yank teams, at least set the former to loving words. What's all this "wo wo wo" poo poo?

Good sir, some of us yanks don't like that "wo wo wo" poo poo either. I can't tell you. Maybe that's the popular thing like Boy Bands and Britney was in the early 00's.

Fortunately that's over

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Again, I'll take wo wo wo over USA USA USA any day. At least there's, like, an attempt at... something. Anything.

Sorry, hang on, I did that wrong.

(Assertively) Again, I'll take wo wo wo over USA USA USA any day. At least there's, like, an attempt at... something. Anything.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

the JJ posted:

(Assertively) Again, I'll take wo wo wo over USA USA USA any day. At least there's, like, an attempt at... something. Anything.

I was a fan of the "We are going to Brazil" chant from the World Cup qualifiers. We just need to start adding more lyrics to our fan chants and we'll be fine.

(Also, I have to admit I'm a sucker for the U-S-A! chant, at least in sporting contexts. Outside of sports or similarly unimportant areas I think it's pretty gross.)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

habeasdorkus posted:

I was a fan of the "We are going to Brazil" chant from the World Cup qualifiers. We just need to start adding more lyrics to our fan chants and we'll be fine.

(Also, I have to admit I'm a sucker for the U-S-A! chant, at least in sporting contexts. Outside of sports or similarly unimportant areas I think it's pretty gross.)

Well, the rest of the world is mentally associating you with the people who do it outside of sports. Enjoy that.

Also yeah, the sparrow/crow chant is great.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

Well, the rest of the world is mentally associating you with the people who do it outside of sports. Enjoy that.

Also yeah, the sparrow/crow chant is great.

Eh, I was an American living overseas during the Bush administration. I was used to people thinking ill of my country.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Oooh, chantchat.

As I am mainly a darts fan and most of the people at the darts go there to get shitfaced and have fun, I've heard my share of chants, although the blighters could be a bit more imaginative from time to time. It got incredibly boring at the World Championship to constantly hear "boring, boring tables" and "stand up if you're in the stands" because a rivalry between standing spots and table seats is apparently a thing.

There's an occasional gem in there, though, and they're also fans of singing names to songs. Vincent van der Voort's walk-on is classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rm6CpmcH2s

And speaking of setting Seven Nation Army to words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9OcmuGxNG4

And to make this a bit football related, have a chant from the only team I've ever seen live in the stadium - 1. FC Union Berlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oif7Y8cIMEE

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
While we're still on chant-talk, I found one that might be more adequate for us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbfy05y5Ukw

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it

tarbrush posted:

My favourite is probably the Everton chant for Diniyar Bilyaletdinov.

He's big! He's game! We can't pronounce his name! Russian laaaad, russian laaadddd.

Can't find a video of it though.

This is the best one ever. :allears:

I think we should take Hull's chant "You're getting mauled by the tiiiiiigeers!" and replace it with "You're getting burned by the draaagooons!" Everyone flaps their arms like wings and the club hires fire breathers to stand in front of the supporters section and do their thing. It's still a lovely chant, but it makes me laugh.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chapter the Seventh: Treading water.
February 2, 2016-March 10, 2016

Some of you may have noticed that we were ten points back of the last playoff spot at the end of the previous update. Though that may not seem like an insurmountable barrier with sixteen games to play, we'd have to make up points on eleven different teams to make the playoffs. In other words, banish any thoughts about back to back promotions right now.

At York, February 6, 2016
League Two

York are currently just two ahead of us on the table, but as we're playing away our efforts will be devoted to making sure we keep things strong at the back. I also see if we can't make better use of our chances by turning off the “shoot on sight” command. Also, it's only a few degrees above freezing and it's hailing. Lovely weather.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Counter
Starting 11: Al-Beloushi, Evans, Reid, Martin, Don-Duncan, Kadhim, Simpson, Bailey, Coulson, Cooper, Bah.
Subs: Higgs, Thomas, Poole, McGuinness, Clarke, Morgan, Harrison

The match is a dull affair throughout the first half, with neither side showing much by way of offense. We manage a single half-chance when Coulson picks the pocket of the opposing fullback, but their keeper is in position to make the save. They manage a half chance from a corner that they fail to put away. The second half is more of the same, even after I insert Harrison for Bah and tell the players to shoot on sight. The good news is that Luke Reid appears to be a new player since the start of the new year, earning his second Man of the Match award and bringing his average rating up all the way to a 6.6.

Man of the Match: Luke Reid

York 0-0 Wrexham

Who's talking smack about my player to the media? And, the screenshot cuts this off, for some reason they're using the French media?

Don't listen to those mean, anonymous foreign players, Billy.

Especially when you've improved so much recently. Given the way Bah has been playing, it's likely that Harrison will see the lion's share of time as our striker.

Oh, well, I guess I can do that.

Uh. Thanks for making me look like an idiot by telling me to praise him.

... Ok.

Damnit. That's the last time I take man management tips from you, Heath. (He's got a Man Management of 17, and he knows the players well, so I don't get why he steered me so wrong here. I thought it might just have been that I praised Simpson last month, but I haven't talked to Al-Beloushi before and it still went poorly.)

Todd has seen improvement in just about every area, and a substantial improvement in his composure and strength. He'll be fighting for a starting spot as soon as next year.

Pitch is finally down to poor! Still not terrible, though. Amhazair is out of the contest. Shazback will win if the pitch becomes terrible before March 13th, JT Jag if later than that. No one will win if we never get to “Terrible” pitch condition. I'll be asking the board to relay the field at the the end of the season as it costs no money.

vs. Mansfield, February 13, 2016
League Two

Mansfield is third in League Two. I'm going to fight for a draw, but I'm pessimistic that we'll pick up points today. It's a chilly, drizzly day, perfect for English football.

Starting 11: Al-Beloushi, Evans, Reid, Martin, Ashton, Kadhim, Simpson, Bailey, Coulson, Price, Harrison.
Subs: Higgs, Thomas, Poole, McGuinness, Clarke, Cooper, Bah.

We put ourselves in a hole immediately, letting Mansfield take the lead on a corner in the second minute. It continues to be all Mansfield for the first twenty minutes, though they are unable to get clear shots on goal. Michael Coulson has a perfect opportunity to draw us level in the 38th minute, but sends the ball caroming off the post. We add more chances, but are unable to pull level before the whistle stops play.

The second half picks up where we left off, but with similar results. Coulson fails to score again on a one on one with the keeper in the 46th minute, and in the 50th minute the deficit doubles on a well placed cross into the box. We created better opportunities than Mansfield, but were let down once again by our finishing. If we can solve that piece of the puzzle, we're going to be a forced to be reckoned with. Until then, we're supremely frustrating to watch.

Wrexham 0-2 Mansfield

Harrison and Bah are both on pretty epic dry spells at the moment. Aidan Cooper is getting something like 8% of his shots on target (I've set him to shoot less often now). If it weren't for Coulson we'd be in deep trouble, and as we just saw in the last game he's capable of frustrating us in the same way. This is one of the major areas that I want to fix in the offseason.

None of these guys know how to run for office. You're supposed to slag the current incumbent regardless of their policy and promise to make things better!

This gives us more than a single day off between our next matchup with Tackleford, which is appreciated. It does mean we'll only have a day off before we face Bradford on April 2nd, but we'll be at home and have a week off after that match.

I have no clue what Shrewsbury's coach is talking about here. We haven't been playing “patient possession” soccer for a long time now. Even in victory we've generally had less than 45% of the ball. Anyways, giving the credit to our players can't hurt me in the eyes of either the media or the players.

At Shrewsbury, February 20, 2016
League Two

Shrewsbury is in a playoff spot right now. It's even less likely that we get points from this match than the Mansfield game. On a day exactly like the Mansfield match we tromp out onto the field to take our licks.

Starting 11: Al-Beloushi, Evans, Reid, Martin, Ashton, Kadhim, Simpson, Bailey, Coulson, Price, Harrison.
Subs: Higgs, Thomas, Poole, McGuinness, Clarke, Cooper, Bah.

We are lucky to not give up a goal in the first half. Shrewsbury seemingly spends the entire 45 minutes in our third of the pitch, earning a half dozen corners and repeatedly putting the ball into the penalty area while we get off just two shots on target. They cannot score. The second half is more of the same outside of a few minutes around the 60 minute mark where we are able to get a couple more shots on goal, but can't put them past the keeper. Our defense plays well, with the exception of Ben Evans, and our centerbacks Stuart Martin and Luke Reid torment Shrewsbury's attackers. We play worse overall than we did against Mansfield, but I'm happy to take the draw.

Man of the Match: Stuart Martin.

Shrewsbury 0-0 Wrexham

We're goalless in our last three matches, and were fortunate to draw twice in that stretch. If we don't start scoring soon making even the mid-table will be difficult and we might slip back into a relegation fight.

Ratcliffe has four stars of potential but is not yet at even a single star for the first team, so I'm going to hold off signing him to a professional contract unless someone swoops in to sign him away from us. There's no point in signing him to a professional contract if it means I'm going to have to find a place for him each year and he ends up getting released without playing in the senior squad.

This is what happens in a country that doesn't have multi-year long election cycles. Your regular people don't understand how to make promises, and how to caveat those promises so they don't actually have to follow through.

Luke Holtham never caught up with the team in terms of skill. He's not going to be tendered a contract, and will be a free player after the year is up. Forest Green has paid for almost all of his salary this year, which is nice.

At Rochdale, February 27, 2016
League Two

The last time we met Rochdale they were below us on the league table. Now they're comfortably mid-table, and we're still roughly where we were when the season started. We're playing away from the friendly confines of our home stadium and have not been in good form this month, so I'm going to be happy if we can manage to put some balls in the back of the net regardless of outcome.

Starting 11: Al-Beloushi, Evans, Reid, Martin, Don-Duncan, Kadhim, Simpson, Bailey, Coulson, Price, Harrison.
Subs: Higgs, Thomas, Poole, McGuinness, Clarke, Cooper, Bah

Michael Coulson put us up by one in the 7th minute, but the side judge flags him for offsides. You judge for yourself whether he was or not:

After that bullroar call neither side is able to do much of anything, the only thing of note for most of the match is an injury picked up by Stuart Simpson that hampers him for the remainder of the game. In the 80th minute, the ref decides that he hasn't influenced the game enough, giving a penalty for a phantom push by Femi Don-Duncan. Rochdale converts, and we're down one-nil instead of up. The game isn't over yet, and we do get a measure of satisfaction watching Coulson score again, this time without an offsides call. The refs round of the game by denying a second goal by Rochdale in stoppage time, a goal where even an American could tell you what's wrong with this picture:

We escape with a draw, when we should have walked off with a 2-0 victory. It's lucky there wasn't a press conference after this match, because I would have had many, many harsh things to say about the gambling addicts the FA chose to ref this match.

Rochdale 1-1 Wrexham

Simpson's injury is minor, but it does mean he'll miss our next two games. McGuinness will take his role as our ball-winning midfielder and captain.

Cardiff fails to bring the Capital One Cup to Wales. While watching our Welsh rivals lose is satisfying, it would have been great if Wales had taken home a trophy from the English.

Liam Franks, the loaner that helped us to promotion last season, is out of contract and needs to find a team. He wouldn't be that expensive, he'd ask for £625-£925 a week, but his best position is the same as Coulson's and I'm hesitant to add more payroll than we already have. That's especially true as we're only a week and a half away from youth intakes and my annual search for the next teen player who could make it to the Premier League with us.

vs. Yeovil Town, March 5, 2016
League Two

Yeovil Town is another team in the promotion hunt, and like our matches against Shrewsbury and Mansfield will be tough for us unless we can step up our game. Bah and Harrison have both continued to be brutal on the pitch, so I swing Coulson back into the striker's position hoping that it will give our team some spark.

Starting 11: Al-Beloushi, Thomas, Reid, Martin, Don-Duncan, Kadhim, McGuinness, Bailey, Price, Cooper, Coulson.
Subs: Higgs, Evans, Poole, Clarke, O'Hanlon, Harrison, Bah.

Boy does it ever. We start on a flyer when a surging Coulson's shot from outside the area rockets directly back off the post. He had not stopped his run after shooting, blowing past the opposing centerback, and he's now onsides with the goalie out of position. He buries it, and we've got the early lead. Yeovil ties it up in the 18th minute with a very pretty piece of passing around the perimeter that ends in a gorgeous volley, but Coulson isn't done until he leaves the man marking him for dead at the edge of the penalty area, has a perfect first touch on a ball from Cooper, and then rounds the keeper to tap home his second goal of the day. Yeovil struggle to equalize after that, but when the final whistle blows the score remains the same. Best of all, we scored twice on three chances, a level of efficiency that we haven't seen all season.

Man of the Match: Michael “Agent” Coulson.

Wrexham 2-1 Yeovil Town

Coulson has been talismanic for us, and is making a strong argument to be our primary striker for the rest of the season. If I move him there from the wing I'd add Franks on a free transfer as a replacement and to keep Cooper and Price from wearing out. Plymouth is the team with five players in the team of the week, they must have thrashed some poor opponent.

vs Dagenham and Redbridge, March 8, 2016
League Two

Due to our inability to score, and the paid off ref in the Rochdale game, we've fallen back to 20th place in the league. Dag & Red are in 18th, if we beat them we'll at the very least move past them on the table.

Starting 11: Al-Beloushi, Evans, Reid, Poole, Don-Duncan, Kadhim, Simpson, Clarke, Coulson, Cooper, Harrison.
Subs: Higgs, Ashton, Martin, McGuinness, O'Hanlon, Price, Bah.

I don't always advise telling your team to go get them some revenge, it leads to them ignoring your orders about not putting the boot in and makes them play more recklessly, but in certain situations it's perfect for motivation. Sometimes motivated players aren't enough, but quite often good pep talks make the difference between a win and a draw. In this case it worked well, we had the better chances all game, and we take a two goal lead going into the final ten minutes of the match. Dag & Red deny us a clean sheet with an 88th minute consolation goal, and strikers Bah and Harrison are now so cold that they're threatening to redefine absolute zero, but those are the only negatives to take away from a confident performance.

Man of the Match: Daniel Clarke.

Wrexham 2-1 Dag & Red

We haven't actually improved our position, but because of how compacted the middle of the table is. We're now just three points off of 13th place and just six off 11th. We also held our own against a tough set of opponents, beating Yeovil and drawing with Shrewsbury. The only real disappointment in this stretch of matches was not beating York. The schedule for the final 10 games is a mix of tough and easy, we have three games against the top third of the league, three against the middle third, and four against the bottom third. If we can take 15 points from them, we'll finish in the middle third ourselves, only slightly back from where I hoped to end up at the start of the season.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 19, 2014

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Could there be a screenshot with each player's goal tally over the season in the next update? I'm assuming FM tracks that somewhere.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

:siren:NEW CONTRACT VOTE:siren:

What type of contract are you going to offer me?

My requests are a salary increase to £950/week from the current £850/week, and a three year extension (to the end of the 2018-2019 season). I would also like to see us focus on scoring from set pieces (which we've been doing well, we've got 15 of our 45 goals in League Two from dead ball situations), and focus on bringing in youth talent.

QUESTION ONE: WEEKLY SALARY
List your salary offer here. I will average the weekly salaries offered and that will be my new weekly salary. I reserve the right to toss outliers when I average the votes. (e.g. someone voting for £5000 a week or someone voting for £0 a week)

QUESTION TWO: CONTRACT LENGTH
List the number of years here. I will average the number of years offered and that will be the length of the new contract. I reserve the right to toss outliers when I average the votes. (e.g. someone voting for a 10 year extension or someone voting for zero years and not renewing my contract)

QUESTION THREE: SET PIECE FOCUS
A) Focus on scoring from set pieces.
B) Don't focus on scoring from set pieces.

QUESTION FOUR: YOUTH TALENT FOCUS
A) Focus on bringing in youth talent.
B) Don't focus on bringing in youth talent.

The polls will close at 10am, Eastern Central Time, on Monday the 21st

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Arquebus posted:

Could there be a screenshot with each player's goal tally over the season in the next update? I'm assuming FM tracks that somewhere.

I'll include screenshots next update. Right now (March 22nd) Coulson is our top scorer with 11 goals in league play and 14 overall across 29 starts and 2 sub appearances. Harrison is second with 8 league goals and 10 overall in 16 starts and 10 substitution appearances. Ibrahima Bah has stunk, he hasn't scored since returning from injury back in January and has just 3 league goals and 4 overall in 17 starts and 5 sub appearances. Bah's league goal total is the same as centerbacks Matthew Poole and Stuart Martin.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
1) £950/wk is fine
2) 2 years
3) B
4) A

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wait, did we lose the election then?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Let's stay a little bit more grounded here - we're kind of in a poo poo position, and despite what should be a really talented roster we're not delivering at all.

£900/week (there seems to be reason to believe we're going up, but let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet)
1 year (let's come back next year and really see if you deserve a longer tenure or not)
A
A (if you want to try that, go right ahead, we'll see next year if it worked)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait, did we lose the election then?

Yup! I'm a little surprised, actually. The team is doing slightly better than expected and we're in decent financial shape. I haven't seen new members of the board of directors, so I can't open that up for people yet, but if they get installed people who haven't been on the board before can ask to get on it.

ETA: Also, our salary is now only 8th highest in the league after the January sale.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

£900 a week.

1 year extension. You want more, you have to be higher than 19th.

A) Focus on scoring from set pieces.

A) Focus on bringing in youth talent.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
(Calmly) I'll offer you a contract of £900 a week for one year. I request you focus on bringing in youth talent--- why else did we invest in the new youth development center? Focusing on scoring from set pieces, however, is not of major significance to me.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Salary : 900/week seems good. A slight increase, but let's not get carried away here.

Contract duration : 1 year. Promotion last season was great, but the club can't afford to tie a key element of success such as the manager in a multi-year contract when we're so close to relegation.

Set piece focus : B. None of the board's business.

Youth talent : B. Our youth facilities are poor, and our staff should concentrate on the first team since we can't afford dozens or more coaches and physios. Youth is a risky investment that can only pay off in the long run, at least 4 or 5 years. We should consolidate our position in the professional divisions first and try to get some experienced players from higher divisions to ply their trade in Wrexham for a year or two before retiring. It's not as exciting, but combined with loans of interesting youth talent from Norwich or other clubs with good youth facilities it seems a more likely recipe for success.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
Salary: 950/week
Contract Duration: 1 year
Set Piece Focus: A
Youth Talent: A

I'll agree to you for one year, but after that, the generosity will be equal to your results.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
1) I believe £900 per week would be appropriate for the time being.
2) I would like to review your contract again next year. If the team has stabilised by then, we can think about lengthening it for several more years.
3) Use set pieces as you wish. If you think they're useful, alright.
4) Our youth might not yet be ready, but I am confident by this time next year they'll be in better shape.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Hey, I just wanted to chime in to say thank you for running this LP, habeasdorkus! It's been great fun, and it finally made me cave in and buy the game. It's been really satisfying managing my local team through last season the way it *should* have went, instead of the terribleness I was forced to witness last year :colbert: I attribute much of my success to learning from this LP, too.

Anyway, Wrexham's troubles reminded me of a joke that's become a bit of a ritual among my friends to tell after every lost match:

quote:

A guy walks in to a sports bar where they're showing a [team] match on the TV, bringing his dog with him. He sits for a while drinking a beer and watching the match, and after a while [team] gets a corner.

The dog goes crazy and starts jumping around barking with glee, dancing on his hind legs, and licking the faces of all the patrons etc etc.

The bartender says: "Wow, if your dog does that when [team] gets a corner, what does he do when they score?"

The man answers: "I don't know, I've only had him for two years."

:downsrim:

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
£950 is fine
2 Years
Not fussed about set pieces - B
All the Youth! - A

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
1 (Calmly) A raise of $5200 pounds per year sounds reasonable enough. Agreed.

2 (Calmly) I believe a two-year contract extension should be sufficient.

3 (Confused) I have no idea what you're banging on about, do whatever it is you want to with regards to strategy.

4 (Passionately) Yes, obviously focus on the kids. We didn't lay out $350,000 pounds for you to not make use of them.

ThePenIsMightier
Dec 21, 2009
1. A 10% raise is high in light of this years performance. If Wrexham finishes in the top 10 next season, I'll bonus you the difference of £4000. However, weekly I feel £875 is appropriate.

2. A 3 year renewal is fine. Consistency from management standpoint is important.

3. While set pieces are an important aspect of the game, I'm going to be satisfied as long as the overall goal differential improves. As the manager, you likely know better then I on how best to accomplish that.

4. A focus on youth talent is important for the long run.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
Q1. 900 is enough of a raise.
Q2. While three is reasonable, you should be happy with a two year extension
Q3. I care little on how you score goals, just score them!
Q4. You wanted some young brats to begin with, well what's stopping you from bringing them in?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
For reference of the board, I've prepared the following information:

League Two average Manager Salary in 2013 was 55,000 pounds year or 1,050 pounds a week - 950 is 10% below the league average managerial wage - more when you consider the effects of inflation.

Duration League 2 managers contracts have historically been for 1 or 2 years - about a 50/50 split. 3 year contracts are pretty unusual and would be a significant financial liability for the club if we decide to terminate the manager. (e: Checking it this information may be slightly dubious, but it looks about right).

Youth Investment The new Elite Player Performance Plan requirements demands that we invest more in our youth operations to ensure that young footballers get a complete education and training, rather than 'just football' - additional staffing and resources are required. Our regional rivals like Cardiff are pouring resources into this - seeing a doubling of staff numbers over the last year. However, league two clubs are dismantling their youth system. If we have big plans for the club, which I think we do, this has to be an area of focus... sooo:

A) Two year contract - yeah he's sucking this year, but he just got us promoted! That's a big thing, and he looks on track to avoid relegation. Let's show some confidence

B) 1000 pounds a week The lower salary is reflective of his lack of professional footballing experience - and there is longer term financial security from the two year contract.

C) Abstain

D) Invest in the youth system!

This is critical for the long term health of the club.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 19, 2014

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

£850pw
2 Years
No; we should focus on playing beautiful, incisive passing football.
Focus on youth. Our squad development should be entirely internal from the youth team up at the earliest possible opportunity.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

I heard that the manager's salary affects how likely the board are to sack you (higher salary = less likely as it'd be more expensive); does anyone know if this is true?

A) £900 p/w (assertive) You've done a reasonable job this season adapting to the new league, and as such we're willing to give you an above inflation pay rise. However, the wage bill will need to be more tightly controlled in the future to avoid the overspend we saw in the first half of the season.

B) 2 years (cautious) We feel this is an appropriate amount of time to consolidate and then move the club upwards.

C) (confused) I've never actually tried to do this in game, so have no idea what effect, if any, it has.

D) Focus on youth (calm) We spent all that money on the youth facilities so you had better get some use out of them!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

1) (assertive) 900£ p/w sounds better, as the team is still far from being truly successful.

2) (calmly) 2 years because we have faith in you, and besides we're paying less than average wages so it's fine.

3) (passionately) Focus on set pieces, they help a whole lot against stronger teams and might well see us snatching a precious win or draw against a better side, especially in the lower divisions. A set piece makes it about personal skills: if you manage to cross a nice ball to your best target man or have a free kick specialist, there's a good chance he'll score even if we're against a far better side, where normal team gameplay would be much less likely to result in a goal. And we DO need to score a lot more ... even Bah could have a chance to score this way, if we stick him in the 6 yard box and hit him in the face hard enough to make the ball rebound into the net.

4) (cautious) Focus on youth because why not, even if the board might start thinking you fancy little boys a bit too much. Don't forget we also need experienced players to teach those kids...

Edit: a little thing, would it be possible to have a team recap, like the team depth screen + profiles of our best players? After the last market session I'm a bit confused about who is better than who and in which positions ...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 19, 2014

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

1. 950 p/w sounds fair. Barring any complete disasters, you've kept us in the Football League.
2. Two years for the contract length. Anything more and we'd be tying ourselves to you way too tightly. Any less, and we'd be showing a lack of faith in you.
3. No focus on set pieces. They are definitely something we can be proud to be good at, but we should be focusing more on scoring from open play. This is a big problem for us right now, and if we can't do it in the future, we're going to be hosed.
4. Take all the youths. But don't neglect experience.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Okay.

1. 900 p/w is fine. It's still a payrise and we kinda overspent during the first part of the season for ...less than desirable results.
2. A two-year contract should give you enough time to prove if you deserve a longer tenure (and a higher investment) on the club. I'm personally not a big fan of one-year contracts, even if I come from a football culture that loves them.
3. Focus on the motherfuckin' setpieces. Seriously. We don't need to play pretty like those pansies in South America. Lob the ball at the tall, ugly bloke and let 'im score.
4. Arsene Wenger this thing. If we build a solid youth system, we're not only going to create strong players adapted to our football style (which should be, again, lob the ball to the huge lad), we also have a steady source of income from selling players to bigger sides.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
1)900/wk sounds fine
2)2 years
3)B
4)A

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
£875 a week. We respect that you led the club to promotion, but a hundred additional pounds a week is on the high side, especially as staying in League 2 isn't a given right now. A small raise now and more to come if you continue to succeed.

No extension, beyond next year. I'm not convinced you're the manager to lead us to League 1, and if we fall back you'll be on the curb with the rest of the rubbish.

A) Focus on scoring from set pieces. poo poo, focus on scoring period.

A) Focus on bringing in youth talent. We didn't spend all that money just to run an after-school program.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
SALARY
We've been dire. Let's not mince words: 0-6 to the scum, couldn't score in a brothel, propping up the league with a chance of dropping straight back down. You have not exceeded our expectations, and are at risk of not even meeting them. 850/Wk it shall remain, at the very least that'll bring the average down.

CONTRACT
I'm giving you another Year, because I'm willing to concede this is your first time in a tougher league and stability is the name of the game. If you want job security, earn it.

SET PIECES
You're the bloody manager, you do what you like! Just get the lazy bastards scoring again one way or the other.

YOUTH
You've had us chuck a bloody fortune at the youth side of things. Show us that investment was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

SALARY:
£850 p/w. I'm not sure you can justify having a pay rise.

CONTRACT:
You've got a year to sort yourself out boyo.

SET PIECE FOCUS:
No, you need to work on the team as a whole.

YOUTH TALENT FOCUS:
Yes, we've already thrown money at this you need to show us the benefits reaped.

• Locked thread