Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
http://www.dinnerpartydownload.org/pinball/

I heard a fun little pinball blurb that even includes a tasty pinball inspired beverage and thought I'd pass it along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

How is the PS4 disk release of Pinball Arcade? It looks tempting.

I have the digital PS4 download and it's great. There are some silly things like how low res the "room" is where the pinball na nines exist, but the lighting is awesome. The pinballs themselves feel larger than on iOS, and it plays a little slower in general but I am happy with it. Then again I am a sucker and keep giving Farsighted money even though they don't deserve it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

roffels posted:

This might sound shallow, but World Poker Tour is just a really ugly game. I played one on location, and I didn't have much fun with it either. I'd still put money in it if I had one around me, but I wouldn't want it in my home.

There's a Monopoly on location near me (same place as Jurassic Park) and it seems like a decent game, but it's not one that I would want to own.

I have not played a Last Action Hero. Looks like fun. Sound package sounds a bit obnoxious though.

As dorky as it sounds, I think I like the machines for the art as much as I would the gameplay. On location, the art package doesn't matter so much. In my home, it does. Who Dunnit and Fire! look pretty classy. Jurassic Park and something like Rollergames is kind of kitschy. I'm not even really sold on a DMD. I'd like a Taxi, Fire!, Rollergames, or some other system 11 as well. Maybe even a Bride of Pinbot.

Nothing wrong with that, I feel the same way. I was just trying to think of games that were deep in that price range.

You can definitely get a System 11 table for under $2000, they just aren't terribly deep. If you like Taxi, keep an eye out for Diner. I think the art package is superior and it's practically the same game. I'm a big Dr Dude fan too.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Taking a break from TPA and switching back to FX2 lately. No idea how Gromit and Professor Mark could stand to play long enough to get those scores. The phrase "Cotton Candy Panda" will probably make me snap for the next week after this.

Of course 200+ of that was my first ball which saw me beating the wizard mode, getting both achievements, and collecting an end of ball bonus higher than my previous high score.

I just really enjoyed that table, and for some reason the voice work didn't annoy me. On paper it should be infuriating. If I remember correctly I was completing 3 or 4 wizard modes per ball at least, as you'd probably expect. Lots of extra balls available on that one, so don't pass them up.

There's still a ton of tables I've yet to start, so I'm looking forward to hitting those as I see people posting their scores here. I like to try and get some sort of mastery over each table before moving onto another, and then some bugger will beat my score on an older one and I'm driven to return and try and claw it back. At this rate I'm not sure I'll ever play them all. :v:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Quite possible that you won't. I got most of the tables in that huge Humble Bundle in November and my sister gifted me the rest. I still haven't gone through and posted a score on each of them yet.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Niwrad posted:

I'm a big Dr Dude fan too.

I think you need to be a child of the 80s or very early 90s to love Dr. Dude. As for me, basically everything about the art and sound is great. I know a lot of people who absolutely hate it, though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MichiganCubbie posted:

I think you need to be a child of the 80s or very early 90s to love Dr. Dude. As for me, basically everything about the art and sound is great. I know a lot of people who absolutely hate it, though.

I like Dr. Dude because it's something that 8-year-old me would've loved, but I'd never seen it or heard of it back when it came out. But anybody who didn't grow up thinking that dudes like Dr. Dude were Way Radical wouldn't really get much out of it, even "ironically". Also, one sold on eBay fairly recently for about $1500 so yeah, they're fairly inexpensive too.

Fitz
Sep 10, 2002
King of Cheese
If anyone is in the area, the Louisville Arcade Expo in Louisville, KY is coming up in March and it always has a ton of pinball machines, as well as a pinball tournament. Last year they had that new Wizard of Oz table which was pretty sweet. I'd definitely check it out if you can.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

King Vidiot posted:

I like Dr. Dude because it's something that 8-year-old me would've loved, but I'd never seen it or heard of it back when it came out. But anybody who didn't grow up thinking that dudes like Dr. Dude were Way Radical wouldn't really get much out of it, even "ironically". Also, one sold on eBay fairly recently for about $1500 so yeah, they're fairly inexpensive too.

This is me too. I had never seen one until like 2010, and I was immediately drawn to it because of how radical it was.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

MichiganCubbie posted:

This is me too. I had never seen one until like 2010, and I was immediately drawn to it because of how radical it was.

Have any of you seen the table RADICAL? That table right there is 80's/90's incarnate. It's all about skateboarding and the plunger is even a mini skateboard.

SKATE... OR DIE!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'm pretty sure I have Beatnik-Filmstar to thank for my skyrocketing high scores. This is what happens when I have a goal to hit.

On that note, I'm gonna go have a seizure in the corner over there. Jesus christ that table gets to be overloading after 45 minutes or so.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

On that note, I'm gonna go have a seizure in the corner over there. Jesus christ that table gets to be overloading after 45 minutes or so.

Congrats. I'd be tempted to go back and try again, as I was having terrible luck with breaking the little glass barrier things. Should have hit the wizard mode multiple times but didn't. The audio just kills me though. Just too repetitive for my liking.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Congrats. I'd be tempted to go back and try again, as I was having terrible luck with breaking the little glass barrier things. Should have hit the wizard mode multiple times but didn't. The audio just kills me though. Just too repetitive for my liking.
Thanks!

When that mode stumps me, I lock a ball before I start it. If you hit it and get a multiball during the mode, it can make it a lot easier. It really helps with the goddamn robot and electric beam one.

Also, playing Spotify in the background makes it way more tolerable. I restart a lot, so I usually have music on so I don't have to hear the intro voice clips to tables a shitzillion times.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 16, 2014

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm pretty sure I have Beatnik-Filmstar to thank for my skyrocketing high scores. This is what happens when I have a goal to hit.

Heh.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Just discovered that the semi-local bowling alley has a copy of Oz (currently non-functional) and AC/DC (works okay, but I suck at it). The launcher toy over the right outlane is positioned just so that it's impossible to see if your ball is going to go in the inlane or outlane until it's too late, and the thing likes to go STDM every other launch, depending if I'm lucky from the jet bumpers or not.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Unlucky7 posted:

How is the PS4 disk release of Pinball Arcade? It looks tempting.

You get Season One, which is the best season thus far, but it's buggy, which is entirely unsurprising considering :farsight:, and there's going to be a shitload of patches. Honestly? Unless resale is something you really value, get the download.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Would anyone be up for a Pinball FX2 goon tournament? Something like you have x amount of days to post a screenshot your highest score on a given table, winner gets a sense of smug satisfaction? We could do it with something like Tesla or Iron Man where people probably want to increase their high score anyway.

I really want to do a tournament but Zen isn't setting any up for FX2 on Steam.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

This was like iRend and I back in the day. I think we pushed each other over the edge on the Sorcerer's Lair table to get some scores neither of us would have remotely considered. I'll have to go back to that at some point to see if I can beat him again, but I'm admitting defeat at the moment.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
http://www.twitch.tv/farsight_studios

Farsight is streaming Black Rose right now.

edit: Their stream is running at 20 fps :lol:

edit: "Hopefully that bug's not in the final build tomorrow!" :downs:

Bovineicide fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 17, 2014

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MichiganCubbie posted:

That's me. Plus it's the first pinball machine I really played. Was on a family vacation as a kid and would spend nights at their little arcade playing this. Would love to find one locally to play. Although I bet it's not as good as I remember.

E4C85D38 posted:

Just discovered that the semi-local bowling alley has a copy of Oz (currently non-functional) and AC/DC (works okay, but I suck at it). The launcher toy over the right outlane is positioned just so that it's impossible to see if your ball is going to go in the inlane or outlane until it's too late, and the thing likes to go STDM every other launch, depending if I'm lucky from the jet bumpers or not.

That means they don't have it setup right. If they don't have the pitch at a steep enough level (needs to be at 7), the ball will tend to float SDTM out of the bumpers. Also on the Pro model, there was an issue with a spring on the earlier produced ones and removing it would dramatically reduce that problem too.

I used to play one at a bar across the street that had these issues. Some guy who was a pinball/video repair guy stopped in and I guess told the owner about it and it got fixed and played great. It's a weird machine in that if it's not setup right, it sucks. But when it's dialed in, it's amazing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a reason Farsight hasn't done Road Show yet? I'm dying to play it.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Is there a reason Farsight hasn't done Road Show yet? I'm dying to play it.
It's prolly the music license from Carlene Carter, but maybe :farsight: was taxed to the limit to emulate Funhouse with only one talking toy and can't wrap their head around emulating two.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 17, 2014

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm not sure the song will end up being that much of a barrier given that it's twenty years old. I think it's more that they just haven't gotten around to it yet.

There's still a buttload of good tables waiting to be made. R&T is one of them.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Eegah posted:

I'm not sure the song will end up being that much of a barrier given that it's twenty years old. I think it's more that they just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Capturing and releasing as many Lawlor and Ritchie tables as humanly possible is a no brainer.
Anything less than that is a cocktease.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I imagine it's the same reason they didn't do Diner, because it's very similar to another table they've already released. My question is why they did Diner instead of Taxi. Funhouse I could understand, between it and Road Show it's the more popular and iconic of the two. But most people seem to prefer Diner over Taxi, so I don't know why they picked Taxi.

edit: On the other hand, they did release both Elviras and Dr. Dude, so maybe Road Show could be on the way.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

King Vidiot posted:

I imagine it's the same reason they didn't do Diner, because it's very similar to another table they've already released. My question is why they did Diner instead of Taxi. Funhouse I could understand, between it and Road Show it's the more popular and iconic of the two. But most people seem to prefer Diner over Taxi, so I don't know why they picked Taxi.

edit: On the other hand, they did release both Elviras and Dr. Dude, so maybe Road Show could be on the way.

Funhouse and Taxi were already basically done thanks to Williams Collection. I can't speak to the selection process for that collection, however.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

MichiganCubbie posted:

I can't look at the Dr. Dude table on my monitor without getting a headache. It's just too bright and garish for me. I imagine it'd be at least slightly less so on a real table, and then maybe I could care about anything else going on with it other than the blinding colors.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Eegah posted:

There's still a buttload of good tables waiting to be made. R&T is one of them.

After playing tables like Class Of 1812 and Victory I really have to wonder what the Farsight licensing team was thinking. I'd give up both of those for Eight Ball Deluxe. poo poo where's my F-14 Tomcat? Or if we want to get goofy where's my Rollergames?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

ReverendHammer posted:

After playing tables like Class Of 1812 and Victory I really have to wonder what the Farsight licensing team was thinking. I'd give up both of those for Eight Ball Deluxe. poo poo where's my F-14 Tomcat? Or if we want to get goofy where's my Rollergames?
I enjoy the refreshing fruit punch this cat is drinking.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I can't look at the Dr. Dude table on my monitor without getting a headache. It's just too bright and garish for me. I imagine it'd be at least slightly less so on a real table, and then maybe I could care about anything else going on with it other than the blinding colors.

I have trouble playing the iOS and OS X versions of Pinball Arcade because the lighting is so flat. I hope there's an update this year to bring them more in line with the other versions.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Toady posted:

I have trouble playing the iOS and OS X versions of Pinball Arcade because the lighting is so flat. I hope there's an update this year to bring them more in line with the other versions.

Mobile doesn't have a lighting engine because they want it to run on everything.

That said, I don't know if they'll ever get the OSX version in line with everything else.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Delusibeta posted:

You get Season One, which is the best season thus far, but it's buggy, which is entirely unsurprising considering :farsight:, and there's going to be a shitload of patches. Honestly? Unless resale is something you really value, get the download.
Does it have access to the same pool of DLC as the digital title? This is the type of retail game that I could picture getting a bargain deal on, but if it's gonna complicate the DLC process I'll stick to digital.

Another general PS4 question -- have the Kickstarter tables shown up there yet? If so I might see if I can get my reward for the Star Trek table switched from 360 to PS4.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

...wait a minute, I just realized that earlier in the thread I joked about how the next table was going to be Black Rose instead of Black Knight 2000 like they teased, and then it turned out I was right.

quote:

Wasn't their previous "hint" about the next table a poster for "Pin-nado", and then when the next pack released it had nothing do with either sharks or tornadoes?

The next table will be... Black Rose!

No wait, that's too obvious.

Yeah, too obvious.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Minidust posted:

Does it have access to the same pool of DLC as the digital title? This is the type of retail game that I could picture getting a bargain deal on, but if it's gonna complicate the DLC process I'll stick to digital.

Another general PS4 question -- have the Kickstarter tables shown up there yet? If so I might see if I can get my reward for the Star Trek table switched from 360 to PS4.

The only tables on PS4 right now are the season 1 set, this includes ST:TNG and are all included on the disc.

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011
Black Rose is up on Steam now! I've never played it in real life, but if i had I think it would have been one of my favorites as a kid.
I love that disappointed pirate sound when you lose multiball- "Arrrr..."

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Niwrad posted:

Nothing wrong with that, I feel the same way. I was just trying to think of games that were deep in that price range.

You can definitely get a System 11 table for under $2000, they just aren't terribly deep. If you like Taxi, keep an eye out for Diner. I think the art package is superior and it's practically the same game. I'm a big Dr Dude fan too.

I spent some time on Elvira and the Party Monsters today. Playfield was in good shape, decals on it weren't, a few broken plastics as well. But there's a level of fun that I don't think translates well on Pinball Arcade. I do have concern about it not being deep at all, but it seems to have more to do than my Ninja Turtles pinball had, and the playfield is quite fun. I'm just concerned that it will get boring quick.

They also have a Rollergames in ok shape that I'd buy, as well as one that's beat to hell but would be really cheap. I'd like to retheme a machine, even though I'd probably do awful at such an endeavor. But that game would be a good candidate.

Decisions.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

roffels posted:

But there's a level of fun that I don't think translates well on Pinball Arcade.

PA's tables don't have the same "snap" I've seen on the real thing. The ball feels a bit slower to accelerate and it takes away from the feeling you get from a good table. FX2 doesn't really have it either, but there's no real version to compare it to.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

FarSight Studios posted:

To our iOS users, we apologize for the delay, but Apple is currently delaying our latest release due to a question they have raised in regards to our option to pre-purchase tables in a Season. The latest release was rejected because the Season 3 Pass is offering content that is not yet available, whereas they're recommending that content should be immediately available after purchasing. Obviously this has been something that we have been doing for awhile and something that they have approved in the past, so we're trying to work through the misunderstanding with them. To those who have already purchased a Season 3 Pass on iOS, your Pass is not in an any danger. This issue will cause anywhere from a few hour delay to some days, we're hard at work trying to resolve this issue with Apple as soon as possible. Thank you so much for your patience in this regard!

Another point in the "reasons why we need a :farsight: icon" column.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Doggles posted:

Please sir, may I have another?

I have Stockholm syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Doggles posted:

Farsight does a lot of dumb stuff, but this one seems more like Apple being ridiculous considering that they've been doing this for a while now. Unless :farsight: is also their poo poo luck in addition to their constant gently caress ups.