Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Anya posted:

and be able to feed without covering up

Just curious, why do you need to cover up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I love LLL. I met some great friends there. LLL's mission is to help you meet your goals as a breastfeeding mother, no matter what they might be. I never thought I'd be breastfeeding a 2 year old when I had a newborn either, but holy poo poo, the ability to shut down a tantrum with a boob was an amazing tool to have.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Is there any health benefits of breastfeeding at 2/3 years after the child can have a healthy balanced diet? I've seen before that it is very good still for comfort and bonding but not much for health.

The reason I ask is because we're breastfeeding and I'm genuinely curious

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I'm pumping and on a phone so this is the first thing I found when googling:

http://m.parenting.com/entry/view/id/9683

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
That's really awesome. Unfortunately I doubt my wife will think the same way. She's already terrified of feeding in public, even with a cover. I told her it'll get better once she actually starts doing it(we're 7 months pregnant) but she's a very shy person who doesn't like when people stare.

I told her taking our son to the bathroom just to eat is going to get old fast, but we'll see and I'll support it any way I can

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

Inudeku posted:

That's really awesome. Unfortunately I doubt my wife will think the same way. She's already terrified of feeding in public, even with a cover. I told her it'll get better once she actually starts doing it(we're 7 months pregnant) but she's a very shy person who doesn't like when people stare.

I told her taking our son to the bathroom just to eat is going to get old fast, but we'll see and I'll support it any way I can

Don't breastfeed the baby in the bathroom.

I get being squeamish about the idea of "whipping it out" - I was too! - but I found that I didn't care. Covers, if anything, seemed to draw more attention (assuming the baby lets you use them - mine didn't). The baby covers everything up. Just a shirt with a tank/camisole under it or a fancy nursing shirt gets the job done.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The chances of people staring are minimal. People will barely notice, if at all, unless she sits in the middle of a grocery store aisle or something.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

ghost story posted:

Don't breastfeed the baby in the bathroom.

I get being squeamish about the idea of "whipping it out" - I was too! - but I found that I didn't care. Covers, if anything, seemed to draw more attention (assuming the baby lets you use them - mine didn't). The baby covers everything up. Just a shirt with a tank/camisole under it or a fancy nursing shirt gets the job done.

We've talked about it and while she has mentioned she doesn't WANT to feed in there(I consider it dangerous and unhealthy) I'm not sure how it'll work out. If she decides that's the only way she'll do it we will probably just use formula.

I'll support whatever happens!

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
My son is now 7 months old and I totally understand the initial terror about breastfeeding in public. I dreaded going out with him in the early months because "Oh my God, what if I have to feed him in public?" and I did give him formula a few times because I was so afraid. But I now would feed him any time any place without any concern because really I'm beyond comfortable with breastfeeding and know from experience that there's no "whipping it out" or public spectacle, it just looks like I'm holding a baby. I have the benefit of really small boobs (I'm like a 36C or so, tops) but I wear tank tops under every shirt, and try to go for shirts with wide necks that I can just pull down, or if not, I just pull up the side I'm nursing on and the tank top remains in place so it's not like my whole side/stomach is exposed. A cover is WAY WAY WAY more obvious. I've had people come up to talk to me while I was nursing, and they didn't notice I was nursing until they were right up on top of me.

But yeah at first till I got the hang of breastfeeding it was hard and challenging to get unsnapped/boob out/baby to boob without flashing everyone. I can do it one handed while wearing him in a sling and on my cell phone now, it's just second nature.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I never in my life noticed a woman breastfeeding until I was doing it myself. Likely the only people that will notice will be parents of other breastfed kids.

As to benefits of extended breastfeeding, there's a plethora of them listed here: http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/ebf-benefits/

There have been a couple times my kid was vomiting from an illness when he was older and breastmilk was the only thing he ate in quantity for a day or two. And there were weeks when he was just being picky, and it was comforting to know I was supplementing his lovely diet with breastmilk.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
Also look up your state/country laws regarding breastfeeding. It made me feel Better to know I had the law on side if anyone said anything. But I've never had anyone say anything to me. Once i had some older ladies shield their eyes at a restaurant. I was nervous about it before he was born but once he was here I just did it.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I had good luck covering my son with a blanket for two or three months. Then it got too hot to keep a blanket over him, so I'd go out to the car and sit in the backseat so he could nurse there. Then it got too hot to sit in there with the car off, blanket or no blanket, so I decided that since Texas is one of the states where a woman may breastfeed her child anywhere she and her child are otherwise allowed to be, I was going to just see what happened if I let him nurse without a cover in public.

Nobody realized that's what I was doing; people generally assumed he was sleeping, if they even noticed he was there. Like other people have said, a cover or a blanket draws attention; a baby snuggled to your chest doesn't.

(That said, I did nurse in the bathroom at church a lot, but at least in part that was because there simply wouldn't be space in the pew for him to lie across my lap and not potentially kick other parishioners, and the bathroom had a little alcove with a bench. I can't imagine using a bathroom for that purpose anywhere that didn't have a bench or chairs or something, though, and I can't think of anywhere I've been aside from church that did have somewhere not a toilet to sit in the bathroom.)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Even the pope is cool with breastfeeding.
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/01/13/pope-tells-moms-its-ok-to-breastfeed-in-church/

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I live in West Virginia. It's pretty backward here. And I have issues with exposing my boobies to the world, not because I'm breast feeding, but more because I'm just self conscious of my chest region since it's kind of big (even more with booby milk going on). You can still have places that will request you cover up here because there aren't laws protecting you.

Granted I was ranting at 2-3am but yeah, I have some awesome thin swaddling blankets that I just cover as a boa (Aden+Anais is amazing!) and then it looks more scarf like.

Oh, and we gained 9 oz since last Thursday! 3 more oz until birth weight is met! I called it a month before we hit that, and this is 3 weeks and 3 days, so I was pretty close. Happy for my little dude, so proud of him.

Anya fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 17, 2014

kells
Mar 19, 2009
I'm only 18 weeks and my pelvis hurts a lot. I have to sit down to get dressed because standing on one leg is agony.

My doctor said there's nothing I can do :(

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

sudont posted:

there's no "whipping it out" or public spectacle, it just looks like I'm holding a baby.

Yeah, this. After a bit of practice at home you become a breastfeeding ninja. Wear a top you can lift easily and a nursing camisole under, and as you lift the top, you just kind of replace it with the baby. Nothing shows at all, and you attract way less attention than you do if you start fussing with a large, conspicuous tent.

Now, this goes for the first few months, then the baby discovers that there is a great big interesting world out there, and starts constantly whipping her head around to gawk at stuff, turning you into a leaky flasher. I have to use a cover now if we're nursing out and about, otherwise she can't concentrate on her food, and I almost want to embroider something on it to tell people that I'm NOT covering up because of them, but because of curious baby.

(Disclaimer: I live in Norway, where you're more likely to get scowled at if you feed your baby with a bottle in public, so I absolutely understand that it's harder to breastfeed with confidence in less accepting places. But my point is just that if you practice a little bit at home, you don't have to be concerned about flashing any boob, because everything is covered up by either clothes or baby.)

(Also I totally want a boob beanie for my kid)

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
My son is 9 and a half months old and my period started back up about 6 months ago. PMS is worse than it was before pregnancy and the flow is noticeably heavier. Are these changes permanent or will things even out in time and go back to how they were pre-pregnancy?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

kells posted:

I'm only 18 weeks and my pelvis hurts a lot. I have to sit down to get dressed because standing on one leg is agony.

My doctor said there's nothing I can do :(

That sounds a lot like pubic symphysis pain. Your doctor is wrong; physical therapy can help a lot, as can a maternity support belt. There's no reason to spend your entire pregnancy in pain.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Inudeku posted:

We've talked about it and while she has mentioned she doesn't WANT to feed in there(I consider it dangerous and unhealthy) I'm not sure how it'll work out. If she decides that's the only way she'll do it we will probably just use formula.

I'll support whatever happens!

The first few times you go out, see if you can go to a place that you know has a very breastfeeding-friendly area, so she can have privacy while she's still working things out and feeling shy about it. If your mall has a Nordstroms, they have breastfeeding lounges, and so does Buy Buy Baby. I'm not sure where else. Any changing room works too. Later on, it's SO EASY to just pop baby on and go, but that helped me a bit when I was new at it, nervous, and shy.

edit: I had gigantic fire-hydrant boobs, too. Nothing wrong with taking it easy and thinking of the first few times as trial runs :)

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 17, 2014

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe

An Cat Dubh posted:

My son is 9 and a half months old and my period started back up about 6 months ago. PMS is worse than it was before pregnancy and the flow is noticeably heavier. Are these changes permanent or will things even out in time and go back to how they were pre-pregnancy?

Mine came back at THREE MONTHS and I was exclusively breastfeeding and I feel so cheated. My PMS symptoms have totally changed; I now get the rage and complete inability to cope, but my formerly crippling cramps are gone! I don't know what I liked more. I can't use tampons anymore (I guess I'm very dry from breastfeeding) and the Instead cup I used is hit or miss but pads ughhhh, so I make do. Mine has been pretty normal otherwise. I just am angry it came back so soon, haha!

teacherkate
Jun 28, 2008
I'm tentatively jumping into this thread

Background info: I had a missed miscarriage last fall where I was measuring about 7 weeks with no heartbeat at my 9 week appointment. I had a D&C.

Current Pregnancy: I'm currently about 7 weeks pregnant. I've already had an ultrasound since my periods have been screwed up because of the miscarriage and we saw the heartbeat last week. However, I'm having a hard time with the anxiety of having another miscarriage. My next ultrasound isn't for another 2 weeks. The waiting is killing me.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

sudont posted:

Mine came back at THREE MONTHS and I was exclusively breastfeeding and I feel so cheated. My PMS symptoms have totally changed; I now get the rage and complete inability to cope, but my formerly crippling cramps are gone! I don't know what I liked more. I can't use tampons anymore (I guess I'm very dry from breastfeeding) and the Instead cup I used is hit or miss but pads ughhhh, so I make do. Mine has been pretty normal otherwise. I just am angry it came back so soon, haha!

Mine came back at TEN WEEKS. I'm only slightly bitter.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I got mine about 2 months after birth. I've been having issues with a lot of pain associated with having to go to the bathroom for the first two days of my period. I know I should see a doctor about it, but I need to find a new one and I'm in the middle of switching insurances blah blah blah. I'm worried its endometriosis. I don't know if you can develop that after a pregnancy or not.

Isabelle Caramel
Jun 23, 2008

teacherkate posted:

I'm tentatively jumping into this thread

Background info: I had a missed miscarriage last fall where I was measuring about 7 weeks with no heartbeat at my 9 week appointment. I had a D&C.

Current Pregnancy: I'm currently about 7 weeks pregnant. I've already had an ultrasound since my periods have been screwed up because of the miscarriage and we saw the heartbeat last week. However, I'm having a hard time with the anxiety of having another miscarriage. My next ultrasound isn't for another 2 weeks. The waiting is killing me.

I know that this is easier said than done, but try not to worry about this pregnancy ending in miscarriage. Unless you're actively trying to harm the baby, there isn't much you can do to prevent a miscarriage at this point. Chances are that if you do miscarry, it's due to a developmental disorder that you have no control over. Do your best to relax and enjoy this pregnancy. Stress hormones are bad for both of you anyway (something that I've had to struggle with myself). I really hope it turns out well for you :)

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Any tips on dealing with nausea? Wife is having pretty bad symptoms, although she can still eat and drink in short intervals. Trying candied ginger, lemon drops, sea-sickness wristbands, and a bit of Emetrol.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

kaishek posted:

Any tips on dealing with nausea? Wife is having pretty bad symptoms, although she can still eat and drink in short intervals. Trying candied ginger, lemon drops, sea-sickness wristbands, and a bit of Emetrol.

Small sips/nibbles throughout the day rather than large meals - keeping a little bit of something on the stomach can be helpful. Vitamin B6 and doxylamine can be helpful as well.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

kaishek posted:

Sounds counterintuitive, but acidic foods worked for me. I ate a lot of pickles. I was a walking cliche from weeks 4-13.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Kinda bland, starchy things worked (somewhat) for me. A packet of plain crackers lived in my handbag and I nibbled on them throughout the day. And I also noticed that if I ate a few immediately when I woke up in the morning it helped, as my nausea was the strongest at that point in time.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

kaishek posted:

Diclegis. Diclegis. Diclegis. None of the 'dietary' stuff ever worked consistently for me, and I progressed from bad nausea to crazy go nuts vomiting at all hours of the day. I have to have at LEAST 20mg of Diclegis (B6/unisom) to even consider food, 50mg if I want to be able to eat and enjoy red meat.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Also along these lines-- I've run a super informal poll on one of those crazy birthing websites, and I'm actually getting really interesting information. It looks like there may be a correlation between moderate/severe morning sickness, B6/diclegis, and an MTHFR mutation. Maybe? Out of the 10 people who had bad morning sickness and got better with megadoses of B6, 9 of them have a known MTHFR mutation. I'm hoping I get another 10-20 people responding at least, to see if the correlation holds.

I can link the poll it if people are interested, though I don't exactly know the rules on linking to that sort of thing off-site?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

cailleask posted:

Diclegis. Diclegis. Diclegis. None of the 'dietary' stuff ever worked consistently for me, and I progressed from bad nausea to crazy go nuts vomiting at all hours of the day. I have to have at LEAST 20mg of Diclegis (B6/unisom) to even consider food, 50mg if I want to be able to eat and enjoy red meat.

This. Diclegis worked far better for me with fewer side effects than even an OTC Unisom/B6 combo. I was on the maximum dosage and still completely functional.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
For those of you that aren't aware: There's a facebook group that sprung out of this thread and the parenting thread. The group is pretty active. HOWEVER after Facebook implemented the "suggested groups" feature, we've been swamped with spam accounts requesting to join, as well as clueless people who have no idea what Something Awful is ;) We made the group secret, but we still want goons to be able to find it! So we made this group that is easily findable. So if anyone wants in, just join that one, and we'll add you to the real group. Didn't want it to be so drat convoluted, but Facebook is ridiculous sometimes.

Here's a picture of my daughter photobombing my son:

EDIT: You can also post your email-address here or pm it to me, and we'll add you directly! Thanks!

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 19, 2014

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Went and bought a breast pump today in preparation for heading back to work next month. I am so a fan. I've been manually expressing to help with the random engorgement that I will wake up with on the R side, and this made such a difference. Plus I'm not going to be covered in bruises across my chest, which is a plus.
So my question is, how much milk should I show up to daycare with on kiddo's first day? I know it's a guesstimate on how much they eat, but should I arrive with 2-3 days worth so that I overestimate or just do a day at a time?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Anya posted:

Went and bought a breast pump today in preparation for heading back to work next month. I am so a fan. I've been manually expressing to help with the random engorgement that I will wake up with on the R side, and this made such a difference. Plus I'm not going to be covered in bruises across my chest, which is a plus.
So my question is, how much milk should I show up to daycare with on kiddo's first day? I know it's a guesstimate on how much they eat, but should I arrive with 2-3 days worth so that I overestimate or just do a day at a time?

Do you know what the daycare's policy is on whether the bottle has to be completely finished or it can be reserved? I think that will influence how much you send, since if they have to throw out anything that the baby touches, you'll need to send more (hopefully they're more educated than that!).

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I thought that once they start a bottle, you have an hour to finish it because of bacteria in their backwash? That's not their policy, but just what I've read. I actually don't know about not finished bottles. Will ask when I go do fingerprinting so they know I'm not stealing the kid.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe

Anya posted:

I thought that once they start a bottle, you have an hour to finish it because of bacteria in their backwash? That's not their policy, but just what I've read. I actually don't know about not finished bottles. Will ask when I go do fingerprinting so they know I'm not stealing the kid.

This is not true of breastmilk, I thought the same! I'll try to find the link and edit it in here.

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/reusing-expressedmilk/

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-eating/breastfeeding/while-working/storing-transporting-breast-milk (the stuff at the bottom)

sudont fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 20, 2014

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Anya posted:

Just show up with one day's worth. Since you have a bit of time, you can see how much he drinks on average and have a good idea of what he'll need and when. My son was sent with 5 four ounce bottles at first, then moved to 2 six ounce and 2 four ounce bottles, then moved to 3 six ounce bottles. Overall it was the same amount of milk, but as his stomach was able to hold more, he drank more less frequently. Day care and I worked together to make sure I was sending the right amounts.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
How interesting! I had read (on the Medela stuff from my pump) that you couldn't use milk that the kid has drunk from after an hour because of backwash. I will check out the Kelly mom stuff and see what they say. Thanks for the heads up on the amount to send with him for day care.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

skeetied posted:

This. Diclegis worked far better for me with fewer side effects than even an OTC Unisom/B6 combo. I was on the maximum dosage and still completely functional.

Thanks for the tip, I will ask at our Dr. appointment this week. I don't know what is meant about the mutation but I am absolutely terrified of any problems - we had to get genetic testing because of a known issue if wife's family and I am petrified of some rare (or even common) problem cropping up with the pregnancy. I don't understand how people have been doing this for thousands of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I'm 36 weeks as of today, and I'm already measuring 1.5cm dilated and 70% effaced! Obviously I need this baby to cook for at least another week, but knowing these contractions are actually doing something is helping my mental state tremendously.